Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,179 members, 7,811,442 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:46 AM

Five Deceptions Of Social Media - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Five Deceptions Of Social Media (16469 Views)

What Is The Use Of Social Turbo On My Infinix Note 8i Need Help. / Facebook Explains The Cause Of Eight Hours Of Social Media Shutdown (read Detail / Trailer Vs The Real Game Action, Deceptions In Mobile Gaming. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Deceptions Of Social Media by BalogunIdowu(m): 3:50pm On Dec 29, 2018
According to Merriam Webster dictionary, social media is the forms of electronic communication (such as websites) through which people create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages among others.

Particularly, this post is directed towards our relationship with others and our personal human nature. No doubt, the importance of social media cannot be over stressed from business, job opportunities, ideas and lots more. However, this post brings to you five things social media is doing to is without being oblivious about them.

So now, relax on your sofa or anything comfortable for you, get a cookie or popcorn and a bottle of cold drink as you surf through the points. Happy moments!

SPACING BETWEEN PEOPLE: yeah, yeah, yeah. I know you'll begin to wonder the oxymoron here comparing the advantages of SM to this point. It is worthy to note that, the relationship with different people varies depending on how close we are or more interaction we engage in. The cold truth is most times we replace SM with giving people a phonecall, visiting them or even texting them via their mobile line. You may not totally subscribe to this opinion but chats can't fully replace these things with the exception of video call to some extent.

Even if you communicate regularly via chats, calling them at a frequency that is determined by your closeness is very germane just like visiting as the same reason above. Quite a number of people at least the little that I know rely basically on SM to send a good number of their messages and even the important ones like anniversary, birthday, wedding, and a variety of congratulatory messages only via SM. Also, like I said, this may be a function of how close we are to the person in question.

Now I can read your mind trying to weigh yourself on this, I wish you ease as you try to adjust.

MASKING WITH EMOJIS: oh I know what's coming to your mind right away. The favourite emoji you use to either ignore, engage, or show your mood. I also have my favourite ones too but I'll keep that for now. You know what?, Emojis can be deceiving in some cases. The kind of emoji used by people may not necessarily display their mood in reality. Just like in communication, verbal and nonverbal expression needs to be connected to a large extent.

Even with depression affecting a quite number of people these days, they tend to use some of this for cover up which may worsen matters except people see and relate with them often to know what they are going through and help them out. However, there are times when the usage is genuine.

FAKING CONFIDENCE: Do you remember the..., well I'd say quite popular Maclean's advert with the mantra "I got my confidence back". A number of people may show confidence via SM with the way they text but in reality they are as timid as a snail (but wait, is a snail actually timid?) Now the question is whose fault is it? They have seen SM as a new world which is virtual and forgotten the actual one they live in which is the real. This kind of people are referred to as textrovert. Fine, some are naturally shy which is a good character and doesn't mean they are not confident. Those kind of people also exhibit it to a large extent on SM because it's their nature.

Also some individuals are garrulous on SM. They say almost anything, using the opportunity of not seeing the other person except in a video call. However in reality, they can't even near bit of their acrobatic texts, comments or posts on SM in speech. It sometimes gives people the opportunity to say things (positive/negative) to people they can't ordinarily tell when they see. So, If you have been speaking confidently on SM, don't end it there, take it to the real world too.

PRIVACY UNBOXED: there are quite a number of people that their entire life is a function of SM. Every single moment of their life will be captioned there even if they just met with their spouses (and this is not based on assumption). This no doubt must have been seen or observed in some of our friends, celebrities amongst other categories. Our whole life should not be a national news that should be read like punch newspaper where people know every now and then, actions and inactions, success and failures about us amongst others.

Don't get this twisted, I am a fan of you celebrating yourself when you achieve a feat but my point here is making the SM a full glimpse into every part of our lives. In case you forgot, according to my faith, there are evil eyes which are real and one's life may be in jeopardy by their actions, so hold tight to what ever you believe in. I am not trying to be fetish here but the reality of life.

TIME FUNERAL: Whether we accept it or not, there is quite number if minutes to hours we spend in SM everyday for various things depending on individual and what we do. This is particularly a problem for those that are not disciplined. However there are some whose daily work demands their presence on SM almost every time and in return, they make money from it as well. For some, they use it to add value to others, improving their lives amongst other positive things. But for those who do not fall into this category, we need to be conscious about our time spent on SM depending on our personal schedule.

As much as one can get involved with reasonable discussion and trends, one can also get entwined with those that are obnoxious.

Dear readers and friends, I hope these points are worth noting and have in a way impacted. Do have a lovely SM interaction and leave us a comment as desired.

Much love!

BALOGUN IDOWU ISMAHEEL
IndigenousGenius
300L, Medicine and surgery
LASUCOM

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by Nobody: 3:59pm On Dec 29, 2018
angry

Oga its not complete.

Where's your Atm pin and Local governement name??

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by WinningEleven(m): 4:03pm On Dec 29, 2018
Nice one @ OP
Lalasticlala must push this o.
Some people can't even control themselves in social media. Some even brought their bad habits online. Some will upload their whole life on Facebook forgetting that bad belle people are just waiting for he/she to fall down.
Like this nairalander below

2 Likes

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by iceboy4752(m): 6:39pm On Dec 29, 2018
Op, are you KIDNEY me?
You're talking about Social Media deception and you didn't talk about those slayqueens that grow breasts and butts with Snapchat? That is not just deception sef, it's a scam.

9 Likes

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by Ezigboune: 6:40pm On Dec 29, 2018
Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by iceboy4752(m): 6:48pm On Dec 29, 2018
Many of these obnoxious monikers ranting "afonja" and "zombie" upandan sef can't do so in reality.

3 Likes

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by BalogunIdowu(m): 6:48pm On Dec 29, 2018
NoGender:
angry

Oga its not complete.

Where's your Atm pin and Local governement name??

Help with that too na grin

1 Like

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by BalogunIdowu(m): 6:49pm On Dec 29, 2018
WinningEleven:
Nice one @ OP
Some people can't even control themselves in social media. Some even brought their bad habits online. Some will upload their whole life on Facebook forgetting that bad belle people are just waiting for he/she to fall down.

It is well,
May God save us
Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by youngds: 6:50pm On Dec 29, 2018
Filters, seeing Nicki Minaj online but getting ugly Betty offline.. grin

4 Likes

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by BalogunIdowu(m): 6:50pm On Dec 29, 2018
iceboy4752:
Op, are you KIDNEY me?
You're talking about Social Media deception and you didn't talk about those slayqueens that grow breasts and butts with Snapchat? That is not just deception sef, it's a scam.

Na because of Una them they do all these things na.
Make we self change our ways grin

2 Likes

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by Modupex(f): 6:53pm On Dec 29, 2018
made a bit of sense

1 Like

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by ednut1(m): 6:54pm On Dec 29, 2018
Fools like uche uchemba would flaunt wealth and make u think ur not doing enough. Not knowing them be scammers

5 Likes

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by Ruddyman(m): 6:57pm On Dec 29, 2018
Can we have the deceptions of APC.....

2 Likes

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by Daviddson(m): 7:01pm On Dec 29, 2018
One of the biggest deceptions of the social media is the crave for Facebook and Instagram likes.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by fasho01(m): 7:07pm On Dec 29, 2018
Social media craze is just for anonymous validation..
BTW, I didn't really get the point of the article

2 Likes

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by Nobody: 7:10pm On Dec 29, 2018
grin grin
Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by naturefellow(m): 7:30pm On Dec 29, 2018
youngds:
Filters, seeing Nicki Minaj online but getting ugly Betty offline.. grin

4 Likes

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by naturefellow(m): 7:31pm On Dec 29, 2018
Good Post!

I learnt something interesting... Textrovert = Chatrovert grin

2 Likes

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by BalogunIdowu(m): 7:34pm On Dec 29, 2018
Ruddyman:
Can we have the deceptions of APC.....

grin grin grin
Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by BalogunIdowu(m): 7:34pm On Dec 29, 2018
Daviddson:
One of the biggest deceptions of the social media is the crave for Facebook and Instagram likes.

It makes people do the most abnormal things

1 Like

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by BalogunIdowu(m): 7:35pm On Dec 29, 2018
naturefellow:
Good Post!

I learnt something interesting... Textrovert = Chatrovert grin

Great you did
Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by BalogunIdowu(m): 7:35pm On Dec 29, 2018
fasho01:
Social media craze is just for anonymous validation..

BTW, I didn't really get the point of the article

Not everyone would
Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by Ruddyman(m): 7:43pm On Dec 29, 2018
BalogunIdowu:

grin grin grin

WE NEED THAT LIKE SERIOUSLY.....
Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by HeWrites(m): 7:52pm On Dec 29, 2018
BalogunIdowu:
According to Merriam Webster dictionary, social media is the forms of electronic communication (such as websites) through which people create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages among others.

Particularly, this post is directed towards our relationship with others and our personal human nature. No doubt, the importance of social media cannot be over stressed from business, job opportunities, ideas and lots more. However, this post brings to you five things social media is doing to is without being oblivious about them.

So now, relax on your sofa or anything comfortable for you, get a cookie or popcorn and a bottle of cold drink as you surf through the points. Happy moments!

SPACING BETWEEN PEOPLE: yeah, yeah, yeah. I know you'll begin to wonder the oxymoron here comparing the advantages of SM to this point. It is worthy to note that, the relationship with different people varies depending on how close we are or more interaction we engage in. The cold truth is most times we replace SM with giving people a phonecall, visiting them or even texting them via their mobile line. You may not totally subscribe to this opinion but chats can't fully replace these things with the exception of video call to some extent.

Even if you communicate regularly via chats, calling them at a frequency that is determined by your closeness is very germane just like visiting as the same reason above. Quite a number of people at least the little that I know rely basically on SM to send a good number of their messages and even the important ones like anniversary, birthday, wedding, and a variety of congratulatory messages only via SM. Also, like I said, this may be a function of how close we are to the person in question.

Now I can read your mind trying to weigh yourself on this, I wish you ease as you try to adjust.

MASKING WITH EMOJIS: oh I know what's coming to your mind right away. The favourite emoji you use to either ignore, engage, or show your mood. I also have my favourite ones too but I'll keep that for now. You know what?, Emojis can be deceiving in some cases. The kind of emoji used by people may not necessarily display their mood in reality. Just like in communication, verbal and nonverbal expression needs to be connected to a large extent.

Even with depression affecting a quite number of people these days, they tend to use some of this for cover up which may worsen matters except people see and relate with them often to know what they are going through and help them out. However, there are times when the usage is genuine.

FAKING CONFIDENCE: Do you remember the..., well I'd say quite popular Maclean's advert with the mantra "I got my confidence back". A number of people may show confidence via SM with the way they text but in reality they are as timid as a snail (but wait, is a snail actually timid?) Now the question is whose fault is it? They have seen SM as a new world which is virtual and forgotten the actual one they live in which is the real. This kind of people are referred to as textrovert. Fine, some are naturally shy which is a good character and doesn't mean they are not confident. Those kind of people also exhibit it to a large extent on SM because it's their nature.

Also some individuals are garrulous on SM. They say almost anything, using the opportunity of not seeing the other person except in a video call. However in reality, they can't even near bit of their acrobatic texts, comments or posts on SM in speech. It sometimes gives people the opportunity to say things (positive/negative) to people they can't ordinarily tell when they see. So, If you have been speaking confidently on SM, don't end it there, take it to the real world too.

PRIVACY UNBOXED: there are quite a number of people that their entire life is a function of SM. Every single moment of their life will be captioned there even if they just met with their spouses (and this is not based on assumption). This no doubt must have been seen or observed in some of our friends, celebrities amongst other categories. Our whole life should not be a national news that should be read like punch newspaper where people know every now and then, actions and inactions, success and failures about us amongst others.

Don't get this twisted, I am a fan of you celebrating yourself when you achieve a feat but my point here is making the SM a full glimpse into every part of our lives. In case you forgot, according to my faith, there are evil eyes which are real and one's life may be in jeopardy by their actions, so hold tight to what ever you believe in. I am not trying to be fetish here but the reality of life.

TIME FUNERAL: Whether we accept it or not, there is quite number if minutes to hours we spend in SM everyday for various things depending on individual and what we do. This is particularly a problem for those that are not disciplined. However there are some whose daily work demands their presence on SM almost every time and in return, they make money from it as well. For some, they use it to add value to others, improving their lives amongst other positive things. But for those who do not fall into this category, we need to be conscious about our time spent on SM depending on our personal schedule.

As much as one can get involved with reasonable discussion and trends, one can also get entwined with those that are obnoxious.

Dear readers and friends, I hope these points are worth noting and have in a way impacted. Do have a lovely SM interaction and leave us a comment as desired.

Much love!

BALOGUN IDOWU ISMAHEEL
IndigenousGenius
300L, Medicine and surgery
LASUCOM

Permission to copy please
Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by 4gunners(m): 9:00pm On Dec 29, 2018
Daviddson:
I'm curious as to why people crave for likes on social media. Will it improve their status??

2 Likes

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by gistrepublic: 9:06pm On Dec 29, 2018
Lol mad guy

WinningEleven:
Nice one @ OP
Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by millionboi2: 10:04pm On Dec 29, 2018
ednut1:
Fools like uche uchemba would flaunt wealth and make u think ur not doing enough. Not knowing them be scammers
na true
Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by BalogunIdowu(m): 10:10pm On Dec 29, 2018
HeWrites:

Permission to copy please

Sure!

2 Likes

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by Nobody: 10:10pm On Dec 29, 2018
BalogunIdowu:

Help with that too na grin

Sent you an email bro

I'm a Med fresher at Lasu too

Please accept as I would need your wisdom and experience in the future �

1 Like

Re: Five Deceptions Of Social Media by boiz2men(m): 10:45pm On Dec 29, 2018
Many people want to belong. They think posting their everyday lives on SM would make people think they are doing great.

Go to whatsapp, Facebook

You can tell where these people are in life.

Many of which are fake.

One of my friend saw a pic of my bro.

He advised me to meet me my brother to teach me whatever business he is into. Just cos I don't post pix.

I told him I will.

all of my brothers, I set them up in business.

He didn't know this and I didn't tell him. grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Detect A Phone Number's Network? / Lets Talk about Android! / Price War: Airtel Tariff Now 20k/second To All Networks And America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.