Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,124 members, 7,818,373 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide (19665 Views)

Man Jailed For Attempted Trafficking Of Three Nigerian Girls To Libya / Driver Who Knocked Off Police Officer Into Canal Arraigned For Attempted Murder / Police Detain Jobless Youth For Attempted Suicide, Court Grants N200,000 Bail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by goldcoinhub: 2:40pm On Dec 31, 2018
Last year a Nigerian man identified as Ifeanyi Ugokwe was arrested and jailed for attempted suicide, CNN reports.
After weeks of being hungry and jobless, the 25-year old says he reached breaking point after a security guard pushed him to the ground while he was searching for work at a building site.

"I was tired of walking around that day. And I was determined to work there... so I tried to force my way in, then he pushed me, and I fell down flat on the floor," Ugokwe said

"I started begging him because I was tired, I really needed that job because I needed to eat."

Humiliated, Ugokwe went to a nearby lagoon and jumped in.

After being rescued by passing fishermen, Ugokwe says he was handed over to police officers who arrested him and put him in jail.

Attempting suicide is a criminal offense in Nigeria, under Section 327 of the Criminal Code Act, and carries a penalty of up to one year in prison. A holdover from when Nigeria was a British colony, the law was abolished in Britain under the Suicide Act of 1961, which happened after Nigeria gained its independence in 1960.

Ugokwe says he's speaking out about his attempt to take his own life despite stigma around the subject in Nigeria because he doesn't want people to suffer as he did.

When he woke up on the fisherman's boat, Ugokwe says he was angry that his attempt had failed.
Following his arrest, Ugokwe was held at a cell near the Lagos lagoon, in the country's economic capital, before being transferred one week later to another cell on the Lagos mainland.
Ugokwe says he was unaware that attempted suicide was a crime in Nigeria.

"When they put me in the cell, the first thing that came to my mind was what did I do? I didn't kill anybody. I did not steal. What am I doing here? What did I do wrong? It's my life, not (the) government's life," he said.

Shortly after his arrest in February, Ugokwe appeared before a magistrate to determine whether he had committed an offense. His case was postponed and he was transferred to another facility on Lagos Island.

It was there he met Imanuella Ojeah, a criminal lawyer and a member of the Elevation Church in Lagos, whose volunteer prison unit makes weekly trips to local prisons.

"I remember he seemed tired of life. He begged me to get him out of that place. He told me... I am not mad. I am just depressed and don't have money to eat," Ojeah told CNN.

Ojeah and her team represented Ugokwe at his next court appearance at Sabo Magistrates Court, a few weeks later, in April 2017. They were asked if someone was willing to act as a guarantor for Ugokwe and look after his welfare if he were released.

Ojeah found someone from the Elevation Church who agreed to look after Ugokwe and the magistrate dismissed the case.

https://lailasnews.com/nigerian-man-jailed-for-attempted-suicide/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by Dami12345: 2:48pm On Dec 31, 2018
Is this hell that one cannot die in peace.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by CreepyBlackpool: 3:27pm On Dec 31, 2018
If you're going to kill yourself you better make sure you succeed.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by rentAcock(m): 5:34pm On Dec 31, 2018
Why is he complaining? He wanted to take his life which to me is the very lowest point, so even he's being fed half cooked beans with stones and sand in prison, it's still better than commiting suicide.
Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by Kenekingisback: 5:35pm On Dec 31, 2018
'Humiliated, Ugokwe went to a nearby lagoon and jumped in'
Oba of Lagos sef angry

17 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by inoki247: 5:35pm On Dec 31, 2018
shey na dere Suicide ni...
Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by lokotamak(m): 5:35pm On Dec 31, 2018
Eeh
Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by boolet: 5:35pm On Dec 31, 2018
If attempted suicide is criminal, why did Tiwa's husband walk free? No be for the same Lagos? Was his attempt not attempt enough? grin

92 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by dayleke: 5:35pm On Dec 31, 2018
Naija na wa o
Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by Nobody: 5:35pm On Dec 31, 2018
They should jail the Oba of Lagos for this

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by thesicilian: 5:35pm On Dec 31, 2018
If you're tired of life because there's no food for you to eat, the best thing to do is to go rob a bank. If you succeed, you'll have enough to enjoy yourself and if you're caught, you'll be jailed and the government ends up feeding you.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 31, 2018
grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by landmark86: 5:36pm On Dec 31, 2018
Eeyah
But he shud not av being jailed

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by Sunofgod(m): 5:36pm On Dec 31, 2018
Double trouble......if anything he should be sent for counselling.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by ednut1(m): 5:37pm On Dec 31, 2018
We are in this together bro

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by drey076(m): 5:37pm On Dec 31, 2018
H
Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by dalass(f): 5:37pm On Dec 31, 2018
It shall be well bro

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by Cutefergieee: 5:37pm On Dec 31, 2018
Ok
Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by kpaofame: 5:38pm On Dec 31, 2018
You cannur come and kill yourself again.... angry undecided

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by admax(m): 5:38pm On Dec 31, 2018
This might seems insensitive to those who see suicide as the only way out of depression but it’s better you die when you attempt the suicide than be prosecuted if you survive the suicide attempt in Nigeria!

If presented with an option, most inmates in NIGERIAN prison will gladly take suicide than the slow death they experience at the prisons daily.

Now playing ‘This is Nigeria’ by Falz

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by Nobody: 5:40pm On Dec 31, 2018
CreepyBlackpool:
If you're going to kill yourself you better make sure you succeed.
Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by datola: 5:40pm On Dec 31, 2018
Surprising that we have a law in Nigeria that cares about human life. Oh, it`s a law from British colonial master I forgot!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by goroman: 5:40pm On Dec 31, 2018
"When they put me in the cell, the first thing that came to my mind was what did I do? I didn't kill anybody. I did not steal. What am I doing here? What did I do wrong? It's my life, not (the) government's life,

this part got me laughing. I no know why ��

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by KingOfAllIgbos: 5:41pm On Dec 31, 2018
grin

Decryptor. I am sure this is you after i dealt with you.

Ifeanyi Ugbokwe. Hunger don wire you finish grin

You go come dey shout Afonja from a.m. till p.m.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by DanDeeBoss(m): 5:41pm On Dec 31, 2018
Where is he running to..?? cheesy
Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by enemyofprogress: 5:42pm On Dec 31, 2018
Hmmmmmmmm

..can you marry a woman that already has a sun?
Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 31, 2018
Suicide is not good but when one is determined to die, he should be allowed with any government interference except the government is willing to care for that individual.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by Jonadull: 5:42pm On Dec 31, 2018
Kenekingisback:
'Humiliated, Ugokwe went to a nearby lagoon and jumped in'
Oba of Lagos sef angry
Lmao .
Igbos are now jumping into the lagoon o
cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by datopaper(m): 5:42pm On Dec 31, 2018
Suicide is not thing for anybody to consider at all.
Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by KingOfAllIgbos: 5:44pm On Dec 31, 2018
Jonathan:

Lmao .
Igbos are now jumping into the lagoon o
cheesy

Stay Aba dem no go wan stay. Stay Onitsha, them no gree.

Lagos is Heaven to them grin
Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by anambraamaka: 5:44pm On Dec 31, 2018
grin
Re: Nigerian Man Jailed For Attempted Suicide by GOFRONT(m): 5:44pm On Dec 31, 2018
This one no wan see 2018

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Enebraye Zuokemefa Peter: Gunmen Kill Youth Leader In Bayelsa (Photos) / Scammers Who Impersonated Cecilia Ezeilo On Facebook Nabbed. Photo / Man Arrested For Raping One-Year-Old In Nasarawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.