Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,014 members, 7,810,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:54 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (474) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2183697 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) (477) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Berle: 8:25pm On Jun 23, 2021
Hello All

I was reading about getting a Canadian drivers license with a Nigerian one and I found out that I'll need a driving history letter from FRSC and my driving records should also indicate a driving experience of minimum of 2 years. Here's the issue, I'm just about starting the process of getting a driver's license and it's not possible to have 2 years as at when I'll move hopefully. Can someone confirm this or advise on the way forward. Should I just abort the process of getting a drivers license here since my driving history or license date won't be up to 2 years anyway? Please advise. Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Temas: 8:34pm On Jun 23, 2021
Berle:
Hello All

I was reading about getting a Canadian drivers license with a Nigerian one and I found out that I'll need a driving history letter from FRSC and my driving records should also indicate a driving experience of minimum of 2 years. Here's the issue, I'm just about starting the process of getting a driver's license and it's not possible to have 2 years as at when I'll move hopefully. Can someone confirm this or advise on the way forward. Should I just abort the process of getting a drivers license here since my driving history or license date won't be up to 2 years anyway? Please advise. Thank you.

Get the Nigerian License, It will at least allow you to drive here for 3-6 months depending on province. However, since you will not be having a driver's record of 1-2years to qualify for waivers, I am afraid you will have to start from scratch in Canada

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Berle: 10:09pm On Jun 23, 2021
Thanks for your response. After getting the license, do I have to get the international drivers license as well?
Temas:

Get the Nigerian License, It will at least allow you to drive here for 3-6 months depending on province. However, since you will not be having a driver's record of 1-2years to qualify for waivers, I am afraid you will have to start from scratch in Canada
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jun 23, 2021
Welcome Mummy, there is a telegram group.

Please send me an email, we can't wait to have you.
MyRace:
Good day all,

It feels good to be posting here, having just received a Study Visa. I am trying my best to read through the thread as there is so much information to garner. However, I would like to ask a few location specific questions since I would be going to Halifax, Nova Scotia.

1. What is the best location to stay with family?

2. Which region within Halifax has the best Elementary and Middle school, as that will likely determine where we'll stay.

3, Are there specific Elementary and Middle schools that can be recommended?

4. Is there a Whatsapp or Telegram f=group I can join?

Thank you all so much as I await your kind responses

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 3:49am On Jun 24, 2021
Berle:
Thanks for your response. After getting the license, do I have to get the international drivers license as well?
you can only drive for 90 days with 9ja license in many provinces. Is it worth the stress of getting a drivers license in Nigeria No. Will you buy a car for the 90 days No

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Queenmama03(f): 4:48am On Jun 24, 2021
Please who knows how this CIBC international student pay works? Is it
possible to pay using the naira equivalent provided? Any information regarding this would be much appreciated.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by impeccablerose: 9:11am On Jun 24, 2021
I think the naira equivalent option is only available for card payments (not sure). The limits on cards with Nigerian banks might not allow you pay up to a certain amount.
But if what you want to pay is tuition fee, select the bank transfer option and your currency choice (CAD or USD), then generate a payment instruction which you can take to your bank with other required documents for Form A.

Queenmama03:
Please who knows how this CIBC international student pay works? Is it
possible to pay using the naira equivalent provided? Any information regarding this would be much appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Queenmama03(f): 11:08am On Jun 24, 2021
Clarified. Thank you so much

impeccablerose:
I think the naira equivalent option is only available for card payments (not sure). The limits on cards with Nigerian banks might not allow you pay up to a certain amount.
But if what you want to pay is tuition fee, select the bank transfer option and your currency choice (CAD or USD), then generate a payment instruction which you can take to your bank with other required documents for Form A.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kelvine95: 4:31pm On Jun 24, 2021
Hi everyone!

Anyone in Truro NS? Going to Dalhousie University there, and my study permit was recently approved.

I need advice as regards getting accommodation, life in Truro and any other orientation I can get.

Thanks for the anticipated response.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Emmandu(f): 9:13pm On Jun 24, 2021
ednut1:
join any WhatsApp or telegram group of Nigerians in Canada. People exchange cad for naira easily.

Pls can u kindly share the group link..Thanks!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fayzdream: 5:20am On Jun 25, 2021
Adunnee:

Yes.

Please I'm trying to send you a message. I need to understand how the ECA and WES assessment works for HR and if my doing CIPM is useful in Canada before I start the course ma.
Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fayzdream: 6:07am On Jun 25, 2021
Livy2018:
Has anyone flown KLM to and from Nigeria recently? What's your experience like?

I want to fly on KLM from Canada to Nigeria for a short trip.

Sorry please I saw your post about your friend with bsc and cipm. I'm about to write cipm too but I have my bsc in English education. My fear is that my work experience might not be approved by WES. Since its HR work before my hr certification.

Or does my english education bsc work for hr relayed field under WES assesment?

My aim is to start cipm asap nd apply for evaluation immediately I'm done with the modules.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 6:12am On Jun 25, 2021
Fayzdream:

Sorry please I saw your post about your friend with bsc and cipm. I'm about to write cipm too but I have my bsc in English education. My fear is that my work experience might not be approved by WES. Since its HR work before my hr certification.

Or does my english education bsc work for hr relayed field under WES assesment?

My aim is to start cipm asap nd apply for evaluation immediately I'm done with the modules.

WES has nothing to do with your work experience.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Xyzdojah: 6:32am On Jun 25, 2021
Jbelieve:

How about invest in real estate. Like preconstruction (off plan construction) you'll need to pay the initial deposit on the property to the developer. Like a condo worth $400,000 say deposit is 15% $60,000 which you have to pay. In about 18 months to 3 years (average construction life cycle) towards completion the value would have increased to around $500,000. You sell the condo via assignment this should be stated in the initial agreement with the developer that you can assign your unit to someone else.

You (assignor) sell your unit "piece of paper" to the new buyer (assignee). They pay the initial deposit back to you $60,000 and on final closing after they have secured a mortgage they pay the developer $340,000 and the balance of $100,000 to you.

So in a space of 2 to 3 years you have earned $100,000 from $60,000 making a total of $160,000.

The Holy of grail of real estate.

How does this really works? Are you based in Canada, if yes which province?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 6:32pm On Jun 25, 2021
Emmandu:

Pls can u kindly share the group link..Thanks!
they dont use group link for the telegram ones, as every one will try to get in including scammers. Tried to add someone here, d admin hasn't responded. The whatsapp group I'm in is full already
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jun 25, 2021
Hi,

Please send me an email

kelvine95:
Hi everyone!

Anyone in Truro NS? Going to Dalhousie University there, and my study permit was recently approved.

I need advice as regards getting accommodation, life in Truro and any other orientation I can get.

Thanks for the anticipated response.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tdotbluejays1: 2:41am On Jun 26, 2021
Xyzdojah:

How does this really works? Are you based in Canada, if yes which province?
My guess would be Toronto/greater Toronto area and Vancouver. Those are the cities with the crazy housing market. Some people have lost money on condo developments in other cities.

Even in the big cities like Toronto or Vancouver, it's not also as easy as people think. Developers are also smart, and would they want a piece of the cake too. Cancelling contract to resell to a different buyer at an higher price is not uncommon. The nice ones can also tell buyers to pay more money due to rise in equity before house is complete, inflation on construction cost, unforseen circumstances e.t.c Some don't even allow buyers transfer contracts via assignments.

You would need to lawyer up and watch out for escape clauses for the above reasons, but goodluck trying to take on developers in a hot housing market with deep pockets to afford the best law firms.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/richmond-hill-development-limbo-1.5947613

https://www.reminetwork.com/articles/pre-construction-sale-cancellations-options/

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NNjes: 6:40am On Jun 26, 2021
Hi all

My husband and I need to do re-medical within 30 days but we couldn’t secure a date before July 20th.

Is there anyone with upfront medical appointment that will like to swap with us please?

Any date before July 20th please. (Qlife Lagos)
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by LordAA(m): 10:29am On Jun 26, 2021
Hello All,

Kindly contact me if you need naira.

Thanks!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by elizyous: 10:44pm On Jun 26, 2021
Good evening all,

Please do I need to do an international driver's license in addition to my Nigerian national drivers license before travelling to canada?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jun 26, 2021
elizyous:
Good evening all,

Please do I need to do an international driver's license in addition to my Nigerian national drivers license before travelling to canada?
no, you need driving history extract from frsc(if you have 2 years plus driving history)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by IFSHR: 11:41pm On Jun 26, 2021
Hi house, thanks for all the great work.

I am a HR professional with 5years experience and I have a family of 2...wify and 2year old son...

Kindly help with my little inquiry....I am also taking my time to read the thread of the beginning.

1. What is the best route for me and my nuclear family to Canada

2. For the HR professional in the house..can I register for cke 1 and write the exam here in Nigeria.

Thanks God bless
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 2:02am On Jun 27, 2021
IFSHR:

I am a HR professional with 5years experience and I have a family of 2...wify and 2year old son...

Kindly help with my little inquiry....I am also taking my time to read the thread of the beginning.

2. For the HR professional in the house..can I register for cke 1 and write the exam here in Nigeria.

Thanks God bless
https://www.nairalandy.com/6081746/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled start from page 1

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tunlapapa: 6:23am On Jun 27, 2021
IFSHR:

Thanks God bless

Use this link " https://www.nairaland.com/6081746/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled#93294387 ", make sure you carefully read that first post (very important).
All you need is there.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by elizyous: 8:27am On Jun 27, 2021
Thanks so much for the clarification.

Lagbaja88:
no, you need driving history extract from frsc(if you have 2 years plus driving history)
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by dumiel: 6:14am On Jun 28, 2021
NNjes:
Hi all

My husband and I need to do re-medical within 30 days but we couldn’t secure a date before July 20th.

Is there anyone with upfront medical appointment that will like to swap with us please?

Any date before July 20th please.
Madam?,
If u were 100% sincere & u really checked with IOM Lagos or Abuja, by call or on their site, u wouldn't have put up that false claim in bold above. As at 28th June, even as early as July 1st 2021 dey available 4 booking 4 their site.. Ur post being dey even make me wonder sef say which date u were able to book and being dey offer for swap.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayoakins(m): 9:04am On Jun 28, 2021
PMP and CBAP are super relevant here. Congratulations on your PMP

Do you mind sharing the website you used for the PMP practical questions and was it recent as PMP released a new edition in January 2021

DeevaB:
Long wait for FSW draws.

I decided to earn certifications. Passed my PMP exam and about to write my Certified Business Analyst Exam (CBAP).

I’d like to know if these certifications are relevant in Canada & would help land a good job.

I’d appreciate recommendations too. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NNjes: 9:23am On Jun 28, 2021
dumiel:

Madam?,
If u were 100% sincere & u really checked with IOM Lagos or Abuja, by call or on their site, u wouldn't have put up that false claim in bold above. As at 28th June, even as early as July 1st 2021 dey available 4 booking 4 their site.. Ur post being dey even make me wonder sef say which date u were able to book and being dey offer for swap.
Thank you for your response.
I did check IOM but there wasn’t an available date for Lagos. It was even Qlife that had an available date towards the end of July.
IOM had Only August available.
The dates you see in July, try reserving it and you will notice that that they are not available.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 12:54pm On Jun 28, 2021
dumiel:

Madam?,

you know you could have stated your point without calling her insincere or saying she is a liar.

43 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by dumiel: 5:55pm On Jun 28, 2021
hayor2014:

you know you could have stated your point without calling her insincere or saying she is a liar.

Ok, Mr Nice guy! You've got 6likes already, still counting.. n I bet u need more of those sir n I just added one.

And u shd plz call d mods as well.. my demeanour is worth a lengthy ban.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ultrazone(m): 9:49am On Jun 29, 2021
dumiel:

Ok, Mr Nice guy! You've got 6likes already, still counting.. n I bet u need more of those sir n I just added one.

And u shd plz call d mods as well.. my demeanour is worth a lengthy ban.

There is no point being unnecessary aggressive. Learn politeness. He pointed out your flaw. Take the correction and move on. It's for your own good. Besides, we all learn everyday.

26 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kimewills(f): 1:43pm On Jun 29, 2021
HSE professionals, please can you share your experiences in Canada? I will really appreciate. Like, is it a viable career in Canada? are there job opportunities, what should one do while still in Nigeria to boost his/her chances in terms of certifications. Thank you

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) (477) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.