Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Why Does The Catholic Church Call Mary The Mother Of God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Does The Catholic Church Call Mary The Mother Of God? (501 Views)

Why Do Catholics Call Mary Mother Of God? / Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? / What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does The Catholic Church Call Mary The Mother Of God? by Gistitydotcom: 9:10pm On Jan 01, 2019
As Catholics, We do not believe that Mary created the divine person of Jesus, who "was with God in the beginning"; rather we believe that Mary conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, and through her, Jesus Christ, the second person of the Blessed Trinity entered this world taking the nature Man. Hence, in the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity is united both a divine and a human nature.

Hence the church professes:

"Called in the Gospels "the mother of Jesus", Mary is acclaimed by Elizabeth, at the prompting of the Spirit and even before the birth of her son, as "the mother of my Lord"(Lk 1:26-38). In fact, the One whom she conceived as man by the Holy Spirit, who truly became her Son according to the flesh, was none other than the Father's eternal Son, the second person of the Holy Trinity. Hence the Church confesses that Mary is truly "Mother of God" (Theotokos)". - (CCC, No. 495)

The Universal Church Celebrates the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God on the First day of every year (1st January).

Source:
http://yeahcatholic.com/why-does-the-catholic-church-call-mary-the-mother-of-god/
Re: Why Does The Catholic Church Call Mary The Mother Of God? by GuyWise101(m): 9:23pm On Jan 01, 2019
A
Re: Why Does The Catholic Church Call Mary The Mother Of God? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jan 01, 2019
Because of the doctrine;
God the Father
God the Son ,and
God the Holy Spirit

3 Likes

Re: Why Does The Catholic Church Call Mary The Mother Of God? by Donald95(m): 10:14pm On Jan 01, 2019
Gistitydotcom:
As Catholics, We do not believe that Mary created the divine person of Jesus, who "was with God in the beginning"; rather we believe that Mary conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, and through her, Jesus Christ, the second person of the Blessed Trinity entered this world taking the nature Man. Hence, in the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity is united both a divine and a human nature.

Hence the church professes:

"Called in the Gospels "the mother of Jesus", Mary is acclaimed by Elizabeth, at the prompting of the Spirit and even before the birth of her son, as "the mother of my Lord"(Lk 1:26-38). In fact, the One whom she conceived as man by the Holy Spirit, who truly became her Son according to the flesh, was none other than the Father's eternal Son, the second person of the Holy Trinity. Hence the Church confesses that Mary is truly "Mother of God" (Theotokos)". - (CCC, No. 495)

The Universal Church Celebrates the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God on the First day of every year (1st January).

Source:
http://yeahcatholic.com/why-does-the-catholic-church-call-mary-the-mother-of-god/

I read what you just posted and I discovered that the confusion started when Elizabeth called Mary, the mother of my "Lord" . Check your dictionary and know the difference between God and Lord.

Don't ever forget: Before Mary, Jesus was existing.

OAM4J

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Catholic Church Call Mary The Mother Of God? by Gistitydotcom: 11:32pm On Jan 01, 2019
Donald95:

Don't ever forget: Before Mary, Jesus was existing.

OAM4J

Read the very first sentence of the post.
Re: Why Does The Catholic Church Call Mary The Mother Of God? by lacum: 3:17am On Jan 02, 2019
Gistitydotcom:

OP don't mind him, they like repeating themselves and their ignorance because they find it difficult to accept the truth
Re: Why Does The Catholic Church Call Mary The Mother Of God? by Donald95(m): 7:03am On Jan 02, 2019
Gistitydotcom:

Then why do you call her mother of God instead of Mother of our Lord Jesus?
Do you people actually know the definition of God?
Re: Why Does The Catholic Church Call Mary The Mother Of God? by chiedu7: 9:26am On Jan 02, 2019
How can Mary be the Mother of God?

David the fore-Father of Mary dared not call Jesus his son but called Him Lord.

Psa 110:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at myright hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Jesus quoted the Above saying, how can Christ be the Son of David, when David called Him Lord.

Matthew 22
42  Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The Son of David. 

43  He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying,

44  The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?xref-5 

45  If David then call him Lord, how is he his son?

Above Jesus is pointing out that Christ is the Lord of David, and not His Son.

Likewise Mary called Jesus her saviour not her son.

Luke 1
46  And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, 

47  And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. 

We can see that both David & Mary knew that Jesus is not their Son but God.

Though Mary gave birth to Jesus, She is simply the Surrogate mother.

Notice Jesus never called Mary mother but always woman.

John 2
3  And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine. 

4  Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come. 

Also notice on the cross He avoided calling mary mother but woman.

John 19
26  When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! 

27  Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home

Mary is not the Mother of God grin

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Catholic Church Call Mary The Mother Of God? by Chizuru01(m): 3:36pm On Jan 03, 2019
chiedu7:
How can Mary be the Mother of God?

David the fore-Father of Mary dared not call Jesus his son but called Him Lord.

Psa 110:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at myright hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Jesus quoted the Above saying, how can Christ be the Son of David, when David called Him Lord.

Matthew 22
42  Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The Son of David. 

43  He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying,

44  The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?xref-5 

45  If David then call him Lord, how is he his son?

Above Jesus is pointing out that Christ is the Lord of David, and not His Son.

Likewise Mary called Jesus her saviour not her son.

Luke 1
46  And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, 

47  And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. 

We can see that both David & Mary knew that Jesus is not their Son but God.

Though Mary gave birth to Jesus, She is simply the Surrogate mother.

Notice Jesus never called Mary mother but always woman.

John 2
3  And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine. 

4  Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come. 

Also notice on the cross He avoided calling mary mother but woman.

John 19
26  When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! 

27  Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home

Mary is not the Mother of God grin

Thank you and God bless you.

lalasticlala this is very educative

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Understanding Creation Has Been Published And Its A Free Read (picture) / Tunisia Bans Full Face Veils In Public Institutions As A Security Measure /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.