Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,933 members, 7,817,725 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:00 PM

Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free (1795 Views)

Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg / Calabar's Monorail Shows A Glimpse Of Nigeria's Intracity Public Transit System / Luxembourg Becomes The First Country To Make All Public Transportation Free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free by amalab30(m): 4:37pm On Jan 06, 2019
Luxembourg is set to become the world's first country to make all of its public transportation free. The newly re-elected prime minister Xavier Bettel and the coalition government have announced that they will lift all fares on trains, trams and buses next summer. Taking aim at long commutes and the country’s carbon footprint, the new move hopes to alleviate some of the worst traffic congestion in the world.

Landlocked by Belgium, Germany and France, Luxembourg has more than 400,000 commuters travelling in to work from neighboring countries. This year, Luxembourg started offering free transportation to everyone under the age of 20. Secondary school students have also been able to ride free shuttles between school and home. Luxembourg currently has the highest number of cars for its population in the European Union.

As The Guardian reports, a decision has yet to be taken on what to do about first and second-class compartments on trains. Commuters now pay €2 for up to two hours of travel, which covers almost all trips in the small country. The governing coalition said it planned to overhaul tax breaks for commuters, a benefit that has been available based on the distance traveled. Beginning in 2020, all tickets will be abolished to save on the collection of fares and the policing of ticket purchases.

FEW FACTS ABOUT LUXEMBOURG

1. Luxembourg is the second richest country in the world.
Ranked by its GDP (gross domestic product) per capita of USD 92,049 (2014). According to the International Monetary Fund projections, Luxembourg will overtake Qatar to become the richest nation in the world in 2015 with a GDP per capita of USD 96,269.

2. Luxembourg has the highest minimum wage in the EU.
Paying workers a minimum of EUR 1,923 per month.

3. Euthanasia and assisted suicide is legal in Luxembourg
Although in 2008, the Grand Duke refused to sign a bill approving euthanasia as it was against his personal beliefs; this led to a constitutional reform. The monarch is no longer required to approve laws and the role has become mainly ceremonial. Now Luxembourg is a constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary democracy and the Grand Duke is the Head of State.

Which way Nigeria?

Re: Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free by decatalyst(m): 4:39pm On Jan 06, 2019
A working society!

Nigeria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin
Re: Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jan 06, 2019
Whereas in Nigeria buhari's change has turn to bondage

1 Like

Re: Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free by servercodes001: 4:54pm On Jan 06, 2019
Please God,
WHY??!!!!
Nigerians right now

1 Like

Re: Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free by gaby(m): 5:28pm On Jan 06, 2019
Hmmm...beautiful country...

Every corner for this country na so so banks...

2 Likes

Re: Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free by Idonije8(m): 7:11pm On Jan 06, 2019
Liar nothing like this I just ask someone living there lie lie

1 Like

Re: Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free by Ggetter50: 9:09pm On Jan 06, 2019
This is a nice development, but I don’t think this information of Luxembourg being the first country to make free public transportation is correct!!!!

I was in Luxembourg City in 2017, and sure I paid for buses. Whereas, public transportation has been free of charge for residents of Tallinn, Estonia since 2013, and from July 2018 other counties of Estonia have adopted the same system.

By the way, Luxembourg is a beautiful country with nice weather compare to Scandinavian countries. People speak mostly french, and from the little time I spent there, I never experienced racism. Very low I guess. Luxembourg City is just a throw stone to Trier in Germany. �

1 Like

Re: Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free by Rexnegro(m): 12:01am On Jan 07, 2019
good decision if it's true ...
Re: Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free by amalab30(m): 7:07pm On Jan 08, 2019
Wow, nice touch. Actually i feel the heading was a bait anyway, in the body of the content, it's actually about to be commenced.

Thanks!

Ggetter50:
This is a nice development, but I don’t think this information of Luxembourg being the first country to make free public transportation is correct!!!!

I was in Luxembourg City in 2017, and sure I paid for buses. Whereas, public transportation has been free of charge for residents of Tallinn, Estonia since 2013, and from July 2018 other counties of Estonia have adopted the same system.

By the way, Luxembourg is a beautiful country with nice weather compare to Scandinavian countries. People speak mostly french, and from the little time I spent there, I never experienced racism. Very low I guess. Luxembourg City is just a throw stone to Trier in Germany. �
Re: Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free by PresidentAtiku(m): 7:10pm On Jan 08, 2019
And the dullard Buhari and his brain dead supporters won't see what true development entails

1 Like

Re: Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free by Uglymugg: 8:50am On Jan 25, 2019
Lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free by jantavanta(m): 9:28am On Jan 26, 2019
No Western World country developed on their own effort. Without Africa, they would have remained 4th World countries tribes.
Re: Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free by arives(m): 4:40pm On Feb 02, 2019
Please anyone schooling in Luxembourg Trying to make enquiries
Re: Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free by miriamchi(f): 5:46pm On Feb 02, 2019
Ggetter50:

pls can we chat privately on whatsapp?..i will like to know how much is involved in moving to luxembourg from nigeria.
Re: Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free by Ggetter50: 7:45pm On Feb 02, 2019
miriamchi:
pls can we chat privately on whatsapp?..i will like to know how much is involved in moving to luxembourg from nigeria.
I didn’t go there from Nigeria, so it will be hard to give you advice on that. Luxembourg is a small country and I doubt if they have embassy in Nigeria. Though another EU state will represent them in Nigeria.
Re: Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free by miriamchi(f): 9:42pm On Feb 02, 2019
Ggetter50:

I didn’t go there from Nigeria, so it will be hard to give you advice on that. Luxembourg is a small country and I doubt if they have embassy in Nigeria. Though another EU state will represent them in Nigeria.
yea i also read here that the embassy of belgia do represent dem here in nigeria.
Re: Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free by OneKinGuy(m): 12:29pm On Feb 03, 2019
Also include the part where they rip off their citizens with tax!

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Know If Nigerians Needs Toefl Or Gmat To Study In Finland,sweden,australia And Norway. / Fiance Visa For Uk Refused On Section 320 (11) / Certification Of Non-availability Of Birth Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.