Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,637 members, 7,813,110 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

Last Tree Snail Dies, And A Species Goes Extinct - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Last Tree Snail Dies, And A Species Goes Extinct (3072 Views)

Extinct Animals (pictures And Names) / Four Strange Animals You Thought Would Have Gone Extinct / Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Last Tree Snail Dies, And A Species Goes Extinct by johnjay4u2u(m): 5:17pm On Jan 09, 2019
George the tree snail ( Achatinella apexfulva ) died on January 1, 2019, at the age of 14. He was the last snail of his species, and is emblematic of the loss of native Hawaiian mollusks.
George was born in a captive breeding facility at the University of Hawaii at Mānoa in the early 2000s, and soon after, the rest of his kin died. That’s when he got his name—after
Lonesome George, the Pinta Island tortoise who was also the last of his kind.
For over a decade, researchers searched in vain for another member of the species for George to mate with, to no avail. (Though these snails are hermaphrodites, two adults must mate to produce offspring, and researchers refer to George as a “he.”)
“I’m sad, but really, I’m more angry because this was such a special species, and so few people knew about it,” says Rebecca Rundell, an evolutionary biologist with State University of New York who used to help care for George and his kin.
Throughout his life, George was a public face for the struggles facing Hawaiian land snails. His death highlights both the vast diversity of indigenous snails—and their desperate plight.
“I know it’s just a snail, but it represents a lot more,” says David Sischo, a wildlife biologist with the Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources and coordinator of the Snail Extinction Prevention Program.

https://relay.nationalgeographic.com/proxy/distribution/public/amp/animals/2019/01/george-the-lonely-snail-dies-in-hawaii-extinction?__twitter_impression=true

1 Like

Re: Last Tree Snail Dies, And A Species Goes Extinct by profeazy: 11:00pm On Jan 09, 2019
Why did 'he'not impregnate herself! Endtime George!
Re: Last Tree Snail Dies, And A Species Goes Extinct by nedubest(m): 12:22am On Jan 10, 2019
rip
Re: Last Tree Snail Dies, And A Species Goes Extinct by PurestBoy(m): 7:04am On Jan 10, 2019
Not even a picture and how sure are they that that was the last surviving one?
Re: Last Tree Snail Dies, And A Species Goes Extinct by projectreserve2: 7:50am On Jan 10, 2019
Download Free Research Project Topics & Materials Online.
Click on the link in my Signature to visit website Now!
Re: Last Tree Snail Dies, And A Species Goes Extinct by Yohh: 8:42am On Jan 10, 2019
No pictures? U must be kidneying..
Re: Last Tree Snail Dies, And A Species Goes Extinct by Ufedolove: 9:16am On Jan 10, 2019
The last tree snail that they know has died
Re: Last Tree Snail Dies, And A Species Goes Extinct by Immanuels7(m): 10:42am On Jan 10, 2019
pics pls

(1) (Reply)

How My UTME Result Was Forged, Mmesoma Makes Fresh Revealations / Nabteb And Neco Result / Jamb Subject Combination Problem - HELP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.