Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,051 members, 7,852,576 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:37 PM

From Hawking Rice, This Woman Now Owns A Multi-million-naira Restaurant - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / From Hawking Rice, This Woman Now Owns A Multi-million-naira Restaurant (789 Views)

See The Prize Of Chin Chin In A Restaurant In Lekki (photo) / Hilarious Restaurant Name! / Restaurant named Don't Mind Your Wife & Her Bad Cooking. Lol (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

From Hawking Rice, This Woman Now Owns A Multi-million-naira Restaurant by AloyEmeka5: 9:21pm On Aug 11, 2010
From hawking rice on a rickety table, this woman now owns a multi-million-naira eatery in Lagos
By TESSY IGOMU

Wednesday, August 11, 2010
She wasn’t always a success. Infact, this genial lady’s life was not laced with sweet reveries or the pleasant memories of a person born into affluence. Rather, like most Nigerian women struggling to survive with children, Bola Akinlawon braced all odds to rise from the valley of poverty to emerge a success in the culinary world.
[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2010/aug/11/sun/mul20-11[1].gif[/img]
The multi-million naira eatery

advertisement

For people living or conducting business in Oshodi, Mafoluku and beyond, the name ‘Native Cuisine’ might not ring a bell. But that of ‘Mama Sunday Amala Spot’ would immediately make many stomachs rumble. In her modest restaurant where local delicacies simmer ceaselessly on the fire for the delight of customers, no hour is too late to patronize the spot for a plate of pounded yam, amala (yam flour) and ewedu with gbegiri, a local bean sauce.

The success story of this woman, who went into the food business with just N1000 in 1980, did not start in Lagos. It can be traced back to her inauspicious upbringing in Ghana where she grew up with her siblings. Bola’s background instilled in her the determination to wrestle free from the clutches of poverty.

“My parents were very hardworking and they made us realise that hardwork pays better than laziness. My father told me that a lazy woman would suffer in the hands of her husband. I did not want to suffer, that is why I acted fast,” she said.

Recalling how she started selling food to students at No. 39, Olaiya Street in Mafoluku, Oshodi, she noted that she used to place a table atop pieces of planks sitting across a gutter.

“I started by selling food to students on top of the gutter. I would cook rice and beans, and set my table outside our compound in the morning. Later, there was an opening for a shop nearby and I took it. I was in the shop for 15 year before I got another one close to Mafoluku Junction by Airport Road,” she stated.

From selling just rice and beans to students and residents, Bola diversified into other local dishes and before long, her clientele list grew to include bankers, legislators and top government officials, among others.

“It was from there that my business really grew. From cooking one goat daily for sale, I moved to preparing four or five, depending on the patronage. Within that period, I also expanded my shop and enlisted more hands to help in the business,” she explained.

She practically deprived herself of luxuries associated with women.” I started saving even though it was not so convenient. My children too understood my ambition and supported me by not being too demanding,” she said.

However, at the point when people thought the sweat of this Oyo State-born businesswoman would come to nought, her dream became crystallized. Today, Bola owns a multi-million-naira restaurant that would make many popular eatery owners in town green with envy. The place was officially opened for business recently with top government functionaries, politicians, businessmen, bankers and other customers in attendance.
http://odili.net/news/source/2010/aug/11/510.html
Re: From Hawking Rice, This Woman Now Owns A Multi-million-naira Restaurant by makajibbz(m): 9:23pm On Aug 11, 2010
soon, pple will be testfying my success like dis too cool
Re: From Hawking Rice, This Woman Now Owns A Multi-million-naira Restaurant by AloyEmeka5: 9:30pm On Aug 11, 2010
makajibbz:

soon, pple will be testfying my success like dis too cool

That will be nice.
Re: From Hawking Rice, This Woman Now Owns A Multi-million-naira Restaurant by MissyB1(m): 10:19pm On Aug 11, 2010
Inspiring! A story of 'From Grass To Grace' .
Re: From Hawking Rice, This Woman Now Owns A Multi-million-naira Restaurant by favouredjb(f): 5:06pm On Aug 12, 2010
Hmmm truly inspiring

(1) (Reply)

What Can? / Clearance Sale On Imported Brand New Baby Car Seat, Carry Cot, Prams, Strollers / Marketing Of Palm Oil Product

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.