Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,585 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:43 PM

Sneak Peek Into My Soon-to-be Published Book: COLLEGE 101 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Sneak Peek Into My Soon-to-be Published Book: COLLEGE 101 (236 Views)

A Sneak Peek Into Average Package Post MBA / IPPIS: ASUU Members Sneak To Register, Enrolment Hits 937,000 / IMSU 2017 Merit Admission List To Be Published Next Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sneak Peek Into My Soon-to-be Published Book: COLLEGE 101 by crayon001(m): 9:14pm On Jan 13, 2019
What does College mean to you?

College, in many aspects, feels like a getaway from the routine life of waking up and running errands, for young school leavers. As strange as it sounds, that is the position of many teenagers applying for varsity education. How wrong? While many won’t admit it, the opinion is strengthened by the resolve to accept just about any course, so as to be able to gain 'freedom'. So what does college mean to you? Is it a getaway, a career builder, or a lustful path to self-actualization?

In reacting to the question, take a moment to probe your mind in search for answers. I could care less about what your response would be. In fact, the only person who needs to know is you – only you. While seeking answers, ask yourself if the time, effort and financial implications would be worth it bringing to bare factors like your course of study, choice of institution, and most importantly your interest in learning. College education is not for nitwits. In every sense, college education should be deliberate. Your decision to get a degree should be driven by belief in the system, trusting it to make you better and on course to career fulfilment. The inability to come up with solid answers to strengthen your resolve will become your greatest weakness when the many challenges of college come dashing at you.

The reason you opt for college education as against apprenticeship, or any other endeavor, is a major factor in determining if the number of years required to earn a degree, the huge financial implication on your sponsor, and the overall effect on your life in the long run would be worth it. While I hope your purpose for choosing college is to acquire requisite skills that will help you succeed in your chosen career path, I am well aware that not everyone has the same goals.

In my research, while putting this book together, I came across a disturbing trend. With over 100 people within the ages of 17-21, responding to the questionnaire, I realized that over 70% do not fully understand what college really is. To them, it is just a pattern in life, just like they did with primary education and high school, they believe it’s just a route they must pass to fit into society.

College education is power. It is what truly prepares you for the outside world. Before you start mumbling about people around you who succeeded without college education, take a moment to think of the many you come across on a day-to-day basis who failed, and with a near zero chance of redemption, because they lack college education. While it may be true that college education doesn’t guarantee a great job but it is very unlikely to land a great job without a degree, or its equivalent. A well-rounded graduate is many times open to opportunities than the man without it. Even the few who succeeded without a degree go about to recruit degree holders because they know the importance of getting college education.

I don’t want you to get the wrong ideas. I am not saying you can’t make anything out of life without a college degree. In fact, it is possible to build an empire without a degree. Like the case with Bill Gates of Microsoft, Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook and our very own Nigerian Forum owner, Seun Osewa of Nairaland etc. There are many things to do in the world that requires very little or no links to varsity education. But without one, it becomes relatively easy to go with the wind. There are only two options open to the man without college education: passion or confusion (as the case may be). But you can’t leave everything to chance. Some made it without a degree, but a whole lot more wish they had the chance to be where you are right now (in college).

(1) (Reply)

Personal Forex Trainer / Preparation Strategy For Civil Services Exam 2019 / Admission Into Affordable Universities In The Philippines 2018/19 Section Now On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.