Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,338 members, 7,815,672 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (6069 Views)

My Experience Using Tecno, After Using Samsung For 9years. / My Experience Using XIAOMI Device / Kaios! My Experience Using The So-called Smart-featured Phone Introduced By MTN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jan 14, 2019
So my ever dependable LG V20 got broken, the charging port got burnt and one of LG's major flaw with this phone was to incorporate the USB C port into the phone's motherboard, in other words the safest way to change the charging port is to change the complete motherboard. Of course the charging port alone can be changed by someone with very good soldering skills. Cut long story short, I got someone to change the port, he took his time to solder the thing and the phone started charging, but then I lost all form of mobile connectivity. I got this service disabled problem, the phone recognized when there's a sim card in it but would say service disabled so I can't make or receive calls, nor text messages. But the wifi and Bluetooth work. I have searched the whole internet, nothing works. So for the meantime I decided to use my wife's Xioami Redmi note 5 (3 gig ram, 32 gig Rom, snapdragon 636) as my primary device for the meantime since she got an iPhone as her primary phone. The experience is not so good.

1. Problem with MIUI 10.2 and MIUI generally. This phone has the potential to be a good phone but mhen I hate MIUI. No doubt they got some nice features but here are some little things that are just unnecessary like notification management. On my LG and every other android phone it is easier to expand notification using 2 fingers, good luck doing that with this phone. Its like Xiaomi took a very simple Android feature and complicated it.

And then there is this annoying notification everytime I connect to a wifi. It keeps telling me this wifi has no internet connection even when there's internet. Every time I unlock the phone it brings out the same stupid notification that this wifi has no internet connection, I've tried to no avail to stop this but no way.

2. Missed notification: If u are the type that don't want to miss a notification this is not the phone for u, especially those apps that u rarely use. MIUI will put those apps to sleep and u will hardly get notification. I miss some of my emails because off this. The walkaround is to go to settings, battery saver and choose each app and click 'non restrictions' for every apps. Really Xiaomi? So I need to do this for every apps if I don't want to miss my notifications. Even after doing that if u don't use the app for a few days the damn phone will put the app into sleep, so that means if I don't use my yahoo mail app for say 5 days and a mail comes on the 6th day I'm not gonna get notified.. this is no good... I would rather lose some battery power than miss my notifications.

3. Terrible Ram management: This is the most annoying thing this phone does. It struggles to keep apps in background, sometimes while typing using browser and I just left for 5 seconds to read a whatsapp notification and use the recent app to jump back to browser, the stupid thing will refresh. Really Xioami? The annoying thing is sometimes maybe I was typing on browser and received a phone call, my guy everything that I have typed will be gone I need to start from the beginning because the stewpid thing will refresh. And it does this for almost all apps. And before someone tells me its because I'm using the 3gb ram version, I have used phones with 2gb of ram and they still keep apps in background. This is 3gb of ram and snapdragon 636 for that matter. I was planning to buy Xiaomi mi 8 but I don't just think I can stand MIUI.

4. Some UI inconsistency: MIUI 10 looks like something in its beta, its so inconsistent. I get some UI glitches, like sometimes trying to pinch to zoom and it will take some time to respond. And then I can't type as fast as I do on my LG V20 because its not that responsive, maybe I'm nitpicking because I have been spoiled by super responsive phones.

I'm in market for another daily driver. I like value for money, I'm no longer the type to spend over 300k on a phone.. not anymore, I'll rather buy a last year flagship for half the price than waste all that money. Redmi note 5 has an amazing battery but I seek more from a phone than just battery. Considering LG v30 now. Mad specs at a very good price.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by BonkoINC: 3:03pm On Jan 14, 2019
Thank you so much for this ..

You might have just saved a soul.

I have to rethink .. was thinking bout getting a xiaomi device ..

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by aktem(m): 3:10pm On Jan 14, 2019
Hmmm... And some people will be shouting as if Xiaomi phones... Redmi note 5 specifically has no flaw.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jan 14, 2019
BonkoINC:
Thank you so much for this ..

You might have just saved a soul.

I have to rethink .. was thinking bout getting a xiaomi device ..

I really don't know if there's something wrong with my phone but I think xiaomi sacrifices performance for battery life which doesn't work for me. I like good battery but when u sacrifice so much performance to get good battery, that's a no no for me

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by calddon(m): 3:14pm On Jan 14, 2019
greenhulk:
So my ever dependable LG V20 got broken, the charging port got burnt and one of LG's major flaw with this phone was to incorporate the USB C port into the phone's motherboard, in other words the safest way to change the charging port is to change the complete motherboard. Of course the charging port alone can be changed by someone with very good soldering skills. Cut long story short, I got someone to change the port, he took his time to solder the thing and the phone started charging, but then I lost all form of mobile connectivity. I got this service disabled problem, the phone recognized when there's a sim card in it but would say service disabled so I can't make or receive calls, nor text messages. But the wifi and Bluetooth work. I have searched the whole internet, nothing works. So for the meantime I decided to use my wife's Xioami Redmi note 5 (3 gig ram, 32 gig Rom, snapdragon 636) as my primary device for the meantime since she got an iPhone as her primary phone. The experience is not so good.

1. Problem with MIUI 10.2 and MIUI generally. This phone has the potential to be a good phone but mhen I hate MIUI. No doubt they got some nice features but here are some little things that are just unnecessary like notification management. On my LG and every other android phone it is easier to expand notification using 2 fingers, good luck doing that with this phone. Its like Xiaomi took a very simple Android feature and complicated it.

And then there is this annoying notification everytime I connect to a wifi. It keeps telling me this wifi has no internet connection even when there's internet. Every time I unlock the phone it brings out the same stupid notification that this wifi has no internet connection, I've tried to no avail to stop this but no way.

2. Missed notification: If u are the type that don't want to miss a notification this is not the phone for u, especially those apps that u rarely use. MIUI will put those apps to sleep and u will hardly get notification. I miss some of my emails because off this. The walkaround is to go to settings, battery saver and choose each app and click 'non restrictions' for every apps. Really Xiaomi? So I need to do this for every apps if I don't want to miss my notifications. Even after doing that if u don't use the app for a few days the damn phone will put the app into sleep, so that means if I don't use my yahoo mail app for say 5 days and a mail comes on the 6th day I'm not gonna get notified.. this is no good... I would rather lose some battery power than miss my notifications.

3. Terrible Ram management: This is the most annoying thing this phone does. It struggles to keep apps in background, sometimes while typing using browser and I just left for 5 seconds to read a whatsapp notification and use the recent app to jump back to browser, the stupid thing will refresh. Really Xioami? The annoying thing is sometimes maybe I was typing on browser and received a phone call, my guy everything that I have typed will be gone I need to start from the beginning because the stewpid thing will refresh. And it does this for almost all apps. And before someone tells me its because I'm using the 3gb ram version, I have used phones with 2gb of ram and they still keep apps in background. This is 3gb of ram and snapdragon 636 for that matter. I was planning to buy Xiaomi mi 8 but I don't just think I can stand MIUI.

4. Some UI inconsistency: MIUI 10 looks like something in its beta, its so inconsistent. I get some UI glitches, like sometimes trying to pinch to zoom and it will take some time to respond. And then I can't type as fast as I do on my LG V20 because its not that responsive, maybe I'm nitpicking because I have been spoiled by super responsive phones.

I'm in market for another daily driver. I like value for money, I'm no longer the type to spend over 300k on a phone.. not anymore, I'll rather buy a last year flagship for half the price than waste all that money. Redmi note 5 has an amazing battery but I seek more from a phone than just battery. Considering LG v30 now. Mad specs at a very good price.
understand that the v20 uses a high end SOC( SD820), you can't compare it to the 6bla bla put on the redmi...that alone will make you notice the speed difference.

Your coming from a Lamborghini bro, manage the camry.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Darkseid(m): 3:14pm On Jan 14, 2019
I use a Redmi 5 plus and the only point I can agree with you on is the multitasking problem, though it has been a little bit better since I started using Samsung browser.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by calddon(m): 3:15pm On Jan 14, 2019
greenhulk:

I really don't know if there's something wrong with my phone but I think xiaomi sacrifices performance for battery life which doesn't work for me. I like good battery but when u sacrifice so much performance to get good battery, that's a no no for me
The chip put on the redmi is heavily battery efficient

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jan 14, 2019
Darkseid:
I use a Redmi 5 plus and the only point I can agree with you on is the multitasking problem, though it has been a little bit better since I started using Samsung browser.

I have always used Samsung browser on all my phones. Did some digging and found out I'm not the only one with the problem.

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 14, 2019
calddon:

understand that the v20 uses a high end SOC( SD820), you can't compare it to the 6bla bla put on the redmi...that alone will make you notice the speed difference.

Your coming from a Lamborghini bro, manage the camry.

Yeah I understand that and I wasn't expecting same performance. I swear I really didn't want to create this post, I have accepted the phone for what it is but this morning I was doing something very important on browser and I got a phone call. After the call the whole thing refreshed, na that one vex me pass make me create this thread.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Darkseid(m): 3:32pm On Jan 14, 2019
greenhulk:

I have always used Samsung browser on all my phones. Did some digging and found out I'm not the only one with the problem.
You are not alone on that, ram management on MIUI really sucks. I was even thinking of flashing a custom ROM just because of it. My sister has a 3gb Redmi Note 4x but her apps can stay for days without refreshing; it might be because she's on China ROM.
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jan 14, 2019
Darkseid:
You are not alone on that, ram management on MIUI really sucks. I was even thinking of flashing a custom ROM just because of it. My sister has a 3gb Redmi Note 4x but her apps can stay for days without refreshing; it might be because she's on China ROM.

Mine came with the Chinese rom

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by calddon(m): 3:57pm On Jan 14, 2019
greenhulk:

Yeah I understand that and I wasn't expecting same performance. I swear I really didn't want to create this post, I have accepted the phone for what it is but this morning I was doing something very important on browser and I got a phone call. After the call the whole thing refreshed, na that one vex me pass make me create this thread.
Ouch! I can relate bro.
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by frank155(m): 4:18pm On Jan 14, 2019
greenhulk:

Hm so sorry for your experience but would suggest you flash a new rom ( custom rom ) you are so lucky to have this device, it has alot of rom, just pick one.
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jan 14, 2019
frank155:

Hm so sorry for your experience but would suggest you flash a new rom ( custom rom ) you are so lucky to have this device, it has alot of rom, just pick one.

Naa. Can't remember the last time I flashed a rom. I don't root my phones anymore because Android has gorwn to a state where things just work out of the box.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by IKON360(m): 4:49pm On Jan 14, 2019
greenhulk:

Naa. Can't remember the last time I flashed a rom. I don't root my phones anymore because Android has gorwn to a state where things just work out of the box.
yours is obviously not working from the box, join the tweaking thread. There are many nice people that will help you and suggest a good rom you can port to and all the things you should do to make the porting a fun and stressless experience.
Psychodavidovic
nani667
Grandmufti

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Baroba(m): 5:19pm On Jan 14, 2019
I love Xiaomi for there hardware but am not a fan of Miui, waiting to see if they will release a Mi A3, stock android with Xiaomi hardware; now that's pixel on a budget..

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by fibonacci2526: 6:33pm On Jan 14, 2019
greenhulk:

Mine came with the Chinese rom

This is why you have the problem of number 1. I like the way MIUI handles notification in the global ROM/version as it is very similar to stock android.

Number 2 can be solved by putting your apps on auto start, works for me 100%.

Fwiw the 4GB ram version works flawlessly.

What inconsistencies are you referring to re the UI?

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Psychodavidovic(m): 6:49pm On Jan 14, 2019
IKON360:

yours is obviously not working from the box, join the tweaking thread. There are many nice people that will help you and suggest a good rom you can port to and all the things you should do to make the porting a fun and stressless experience.
Psychodavidovic
nani667
Grandmufti

Xiaomi offers good specifications which gives really good value for the money spent and by specifications, I don't mean the software. Everything asides MIUI on Xioami is great.

Most of what the OP said up there is true, especially the RAM management of thing was the straw that broke the camel's back for me and made me root the device to try out other softwares(ROMs).

I'll admit, just like you said, MIUI has the best battery Life but at the expense of you occasionally closing running apps which i think can be turned off in the settings Menu. (Didn't work for me though)

My advice ? Get a Xiaomi Device (which still gives value for money) Root and Flash a good ROM or if you're not into that, you can simply get any of the Xiaomi Devices with Stock Android.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by mrbigseun(m): 7:22pm On Jan 14, 2019
Plz dose the latest phones like mi 8 and the likes also have this kind of issues plz help ooo I be dey reason xiaomi ooo
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by otunbadare01(m): 7:39pm On Jan 14, 2019
mrbigseun:
Plz dose the latest phones like mi 8 and the likes also have this kind of issues plz help ooo I be dey reason xiaomi ooo

Nope... Rocking my mi 8
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by BonkoINC: 8:12pm On Jan 14, 2019
greenhulk:

I understand you perfectly
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by gogeekish(m): 8:16pm On Jan 14, 2019
Missing notification is what I don't understand here.
Push notifications work so great for me. My brother using Redmi 4a have not complained about missing notifications.

RAM management is generally aggressive on default but you can turn it off it you want.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by mrbigseun(m): 8:21pm On Jan 14, 2019
OK bro Al these issues this bros listed above dose not affect mi 8? Plz share!

otunbadare01:

Nope... Rocking my mi 8
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jan 14, 2019
gogeekish:
Missing notification is what I don't understand here.
Push notifications work so great for me. My brother using Redmi 4a have not complained about missing notifications.

RAM management is generally aggressive on default but you can turn it off it you want.

Missing notification is an issue bro. Like email coming in and not notifying u, not until u open the email app and all missed emails start coming in. This is severe when u don't use an app for a long time it practically puts it to sleep until the next time u open it. And Ram management is a general problem whether u turn it on or off.
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by kvngjesse(m): 9:04pm On Jan 14, 2019
greenhulk:

Unlock that bootloader and flash a good custom ROM my bro , faced ram management issues too on my redmi 5 plus then on miui till I moved to croms
The multitasking issues almost made me cry mehh cry
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by fuckboys: 9:05pm On Jan 14, 2019
Started out with Samsung Galaxy S series and would probably die using Samsung Galaxy S series too
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jan 14, 2019
kvngjesse:

Unlock that bootloader and flash a good custom ROM my bro , faced ram management issues too on my redmi 5 plus then on miui till I moved to croms
The multitasking issues almost made me cry mehh cry

I have gone past unlocking bootloader and flashing roms, this is a 2018 phone, 3gb of ram and snapdragon 636. If it cannot handle simple multitasking then whats the hype about? If this was a mediatek phone a lot of people would be here screaming mediatek is bad bla bla. Android OS has advanced past the stage where we need to be flashing roms up and down to fix a simple thing as keeping just 2 apps in the background.. android 8.1 for that matter. Plus its addictive, when u start flashing roms then u will never get satisfied, u will always go back to search for new roms and before u know it u would be flashing 3-5 roms a month.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by calddon(m): 9:28pm On Jan 14, 2019
greenhulk:

I have gone past unlocking bootloader and flashing roms, this is a 2018 phone, 3gb of ram and snapdragon 636. If it cannot handle simple multitasking then whats the hype about? If this was a mediatek phone a lot of people would be here screaming mediatek is bad bla bla. Android OS has advanced past the stage where we need to be flashing roms up and down to fix a simple thing as keeping just 2 apps in the background.. android 8.1 for that matter. Plus its addictive, when u start flashing roms then u will never get satisfied, u will always go back to search for new roms and before u know it u would be flashing 3-5 roms a month.
you don't go flashing different roms on a daily driver..

You are right, the miui os pinned down the performance. Its just too heavy. They should develop a lighter version of their o.s...more like an MIUIgo wink
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jan 14, 2019
fibonacci2526:

This is why you have the problem of number 1. I like the way MIUI handles notification in the global ROM/version as it is very similar to stock android.

Number 2 can be solved by putting your apps on auto start, works for me 100%.

Fwiw the 4GB ram version works flawlessly.

What inconsistencies are you referring to re the UI?

So I need 4gb of ram on a snapdragon 636 device before I can keep 2 apps in background. Weird as I've seen many mediatek devices with 2gb of ram do better.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jan 14, 2019
calddon:

you don't go flashing different roms on a daily driver..

You are right, the miui os pinned down the performance. Its just too heavy. They should develop a lighter version of their o.s...more like an MIUIgo wink

Exactly why I NEVER root not to talk of flashing my daily drivers. Been there done that, there was a time I use to flash up to 5 roms a month, never going back to that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ecoo Aurora E04 Discussion Thread / How Can I Use My Expired Data? / Check Out Pictures I Took With My New Itel S32

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.