Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,857 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Rest In Peace: Remembering My Advisor One Year After, Sh*t, Life Indeed Goes On! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rest In Peace: Remembering My Advisor One Year After, Sh*t, Life Indeed Goes On! (1050 Views)

My Dad Has Refused To Rest In Peace Because Of His Monetary Vow In Church / 1 Year After Marriage, I Am Already Tired / Sad-Looking Bride Goes On Honeymoon, Kisses Husband, Now Looks Happy (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rest In Peace: Remembering My Advisor One Year After, Sh*t, Life Indeed Goes On! by Chukwuka16: 10:57am On Jan 16, 2019
Permit me to quote this modified excerpt from Tupac’s Life Goes On:

“How many strong men fell victim to strange sicknesses
Rest in peace my prof, there's a Heaven for you
Be a lie, If I told you that I never thought of death
I’m continuing your legacy prof
As life goes on.”

It is exactly one year today that my PhD advisor kicked the bucket. “Sh*t, it’s like some awakening. No, it’s an epiphany and it seems I just woke up from a deep dream – well reality check reveals the guy is really dead and gone!
Re: Rest In Peace: Remembering My Advisor One Year After, Sh*t, Life Indeed Goes On! by Chukwuka16: 10:57am On Jan 16, 2019
I think I’m beginning to understand why PhD is sometimes referred to in close circles as a “cult”. You see, irrespective of our differences and arguments (I could be heady at times), one thing was certain – I was modelling my life as a researcher in the mould of my advisor. Call it short-sightedness or whatever, but heck, there was just that unseen agreement with me, myself and I that that was the proper thing. After all, one year after his death, I’m still yet to beat his RG score (hopefully by end of 2020).

Damn, I can’t believe that this guy I spurred with will still remain with me one year after his demise. Heck, he really got into me. Yeah, I gave my PhD my all, forget it man, I gave it my all. Of course, I finished in record time but what the heck, my advisor wasn’t there to savour it! I didn’t attend my convocation, it wasn’t worth it and all.

1 Like

Re: Rest In Peace: Remembering My Advisor One Year After, Sh*t, Life Indeed Goes On! by Chukwuka16: 10:58am On Jan 16, 2019
One year after, PhD completed and out of South Africa, I’ve had a lot of time to reminisce about our time together. Damn, we started off in 2013 at Unibadan when we met at a conference. He was introduced to me by another mentor and just like that we hit it. We co-authored our first paper while I was a final year undergrad student – my first ISI paper. Can’t forget his advice on that faithful day at the conference – stop publishing in any local journal, start targeting only ISI journals – best advice for life.

I loved his commitment to academics – he was just unique. Nigerian but with some deep passion for excellence. I remember him responding to my emails at 2am and all. He knew the politics of academia and was a deft administrator. Of course, he had his flaws not a few, but heck, the guy practically brought sanity to a university’s college.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rest In Peace: Remembering My Advisor One Year After, Sh*t, Life Indeed Goes On! by Chukwuka16: 10:58am On Jan 16, 2019
He wanted me to do my MSc with him, but I had a fabulous scholarship to England and chose it – another great decision in my life. Finished my MSc and turned down a PhD scholarship in the UK for NRF’s scholarship in South Africa – another fantastic and great decision in my life. Joined him and had a swell time.

Before starting off, my PhD with him, we met at Unilag (March 2017) where we strategised about the PhD. His words – “we need to get this PhD on track with a review paper and then 2 other papers so that you are done in 2 years.” We did it in 17 months with 10 Q1 journal papers!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rest In Peace: Remembering My Advisor One Year After, Sh*t, Life Indeed Goes On! by Chukwuka16: 10:59am On Jan 16, 2019
Rest in peace prof., I’m still on course to fulfilling our dream – researchers with impact for Africa. I’m on course with your legacy – consider me your torch bearer informing everyone about your exploits. Don’t worry prof., we even have a 2019 paper (lol)– remember that one I talked with you about in Dec. 2017 when I visited to check up on you, well, it got published in a top Q1 journal. Did I tell you prof., I got a paper accepted without revision! One of the co-authors is even a Nobel co-recipient!

I’ll drink a toast to you tomorrow prof., relax, it won’t be an alcoholic drink! It was a privilege having you in my life. I appreciate all your efforts and struggles and coping with my exuberance. Sometimes when it pops up, I just smile and remember your reaction – always coded.

I’ll pop in to South Africa this year to say hello to your wife and the kids – I’ll tell them, “your dad is the reason I’m where I am today.”

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rest In Peace: Remembering My Advisor One Year After, Sh*t, Life Indeed Goes On! by Chukwuka16: 11:00am On Jan 16, 2019
Life goes on prof., I’m a research fellow and enjoying the responsibilities. I’m daily evaluating my long-term plans to make sure I’m on track. Don’t feel sad for how the department you left is turning out, such is life!

Say me well to folks over there prof., I still have a lot to do down here. Keep balling, when it’s my time, I’ll surely transit so we can compare scoresheets – I must beat your RG score!

“Remembering the folks we have lost,
Gone for good, gone with a blast,
Forever free but with unfulfilled dreams,
Always in our thoughts,
But life must go on.”

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rest In Peace: Remembering My Advisor One Year After, Sh*t, Life Indeed Goes On! by nams77: 1:33pm On Jan 16, 2019
Why did you refrain from mentioning his name. I'm also planning to follow same route you took.
How does one get opening/ scholarship for PhD programs abroad. Is Europe more pocket-friendly and easier? Is it capital-intensive?
Kindly share your experience. Sorry I had to ask all these in a thread dedicated to your Prof

2 Likes

Re: Rest In Peace: Remembering My Advisor One Year After, Sh*t, Life Indeed Goes On! by nams77: 1:34pm On Jan 16, 2019
Why did you refrain from mentioning his name. I'm also planning to follow same route you took.
How does one get opening/ scholarship for PhD programs abroad. Is Europe more pocket-friendly and easier? Is it capital-intensive?
Kindly share your experience. Sorry I had to ask all these in a thread dedicated to your Prof
Re: Rest In Peace: Remembering My Advisor One Year After, Sh*t, Life Indeed Goes On! by Godsknight(m): 10:21am On Apr 17, 2019
hello bro, I just completed my Msc in Operations management and intend to do PhD. how can one get full funded scholarship... thanks
Re: Rest In Peace: Remembering My Advisor One Year After, Sh*t, Life Indeed Goes On! by Chukwuka16: 10:08am On Apr 27, 2019
Godsknight:
hello bro, I just completed my Msc in Operations management and intend to do PhD. how can one get full funded scholarship... thanks

It depends on you.

There are a lot of scholarships across board - Europe, North America, Asia and even Africa (South Africa).

NRF is currently running a cycle in South Africa. You should Google it out. They offer up to 120k rands per year and travel Grant's. However you will need maybe Saqa and a host supervisor and a proposal. You should download the brief from nrf.ac.za

For USA, most universities would require GRE. You would need to check out nairaland here to see reports of folks who have done it.

Other places require different things and I believe nairaland here has a pool of these resources.

Also on your part, are you interested in research or you want to just escape the country. This is important so you don't leave and get discouraged when research weighs you down. Be truthful to yourself.

I wish you all the best.

4 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Married Men And Women, What Was Running Through Your Mind While You Walked Down / How Serious Is Irreconcilable Differences? / How Long Should It Take Before Agreeing To Meet Someone In Person. MATURE Respo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.