Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

All Tips About Nysc Camp - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / All Tips About Nysc Camp (2568 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Tips About Nysc Camp by shalewabab(f): 12:48pm On Aug 13, 2010
I will be going for NYSC camping programme come november 2010.I wish to know all the likely challenges one can encounter during the 3 weeks camp.[color=#006600][/color]
Re: All Tips About Nysc Camp by zayhal(f): 6:19pm On Aug 13, 2010
The challenges I faced when in service are:

1. Hijab- They insisted we wore white/off-white hijabs throughout service year (I served in Lagos, don't know about other states). They didn't specify the size so if you wear the long one, you can still sew it your normal size.

2. Trousers: They'll want you to be fully kitted all the time, with trousers and all. I went to the camp with a skirt sewn in the material of the NYSC uniform:khaki. So I used to wear the trousers under the long skirt. But you can't wear this to the parade ground. You'll be asked to pull it.

3. Parade: Because one has to be fully kitted for the parade, I never went to the parade ground for parades. I didn't even like all those free-mixing anyway. So, I used to find my way around.

4. Early morning exercise in white shorts: This is about the worst of them all. I can't imagine myself in those pants in public even if I'm not a Muslimah. And white all-revealing T-shirt that goes with it. Of course, I never wore them on camp. I found my way around this too. A lot of people did, even males and some non-muslims didn't wear them there. When you get there, you'll always find a way out.

5. PPA: You should look for a suitable place to do your primary assignment (PPA) even before going to the camp. You just get an offer letter from this place and present it when they're doing the placements. It'll only make things easier for them, and on your own part, you'll not go through the stress of being rejected by where you're posted later on.

6. Community Development Programmes: You'll be going for CD once in a week in the LGA where you're doing your PA. Pray for a pleasant zonal inspector. The Z.I.s are mostly females and some of them could be really tough, especially on sisters.

I was lucky I had a very pleasant Z.I. I wore my NYSC skirt (the one I made myself) throughout the year with my full white hijab. Initially, she complained but I won her over by my punctuality and always-ready-to-work attitude. People had told me they won't accept my size of hijab and skirt but I proved them wrong. But then, I always wore the trousers under in case of external inspectors. Not that I pulled my skirt when they came, No. I only show them the tip of my trousers when they wanted to fuss that I altered their uniform.

7. Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Then, pregnancy and breastfeeding women weren't allowed to serve though some still managed to sneak in. But now, it's a whole lot better. They not only admit them but also make special provisions for them.

So you see, it really depends on you and what your resolve is. It's human beings you are going to meet there so there's no need to panic over anything. If you break human conventions to obey God, He'll always make things easy for you.

If there's any area I've not touched, please ask. I'll answer if I can.

I wish you the best.
Re: All Tips About Nysc Camp by stranger26(f): 4:41am On Nov 23, 2010
Assalamu alaykum wa rahamtullah,
jazakillahu khayran sister zayhal!
My friend and I have been worrying about this! We are in our final years and it seems ridiculous to be told we will have to wear shorts and our hijabds will not go easily with the camp people! Alhamdulillah it seems to have worked out.
I am still stumped by the fact that the rules have not been opened up to make allowances for sisters in hijab/abaya/even sometimes niqab! Yet there are so many muslims in Nigeria! May Allah help us and enable us to worship Him with ease.

Jazakillahu khayran once again,

wa salam.
(I quite like you already, sis, may Allah be with you wherever you go)
Re: All Tips About Nysc Camp by zayhal(f): 7:29am On Nov 28, 2010
stranger, thank you. May Allah love you too.

When are you going for service?

(1) (Reply)

Desert Arabs Competing In Building Skyscrapers - Biggest Clock Tower In Mecca / The Reasons Why Muslim Religious Leaders Dont Have Private Jets / Muslim: Monotheist Vs Anti-monotheist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.