Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,419 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

Networking Mistakes You Might Be Making - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Networking Mistakes You Might Be Making (7960 Views)

10 Mistakes You Are Currently Making That Might Damage Your Chance Of Success / LEGITIMATE: How You Can Be Making At Least ₦3,000 Daily Into Your Local Account / 3 Good Reasons Everyone Should Be Making Money On Upwork (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Networking Mistakes You Might Be Making by Opinionated: 2:41pm On Jan 21, 2019
We all know what networking is. We do it every day even when it’s not intentional. But professional networking goes beyond just following people and getting connected to as many people as you can. Networking is deliberate and when done properly would help you gain access to more experienced executives and professionals in your field and other spheres of life.

The aim of networking is to help you get support, feedback and advice that would help you shape your career through meaningful relationships you have built over time.

However, some of us are getting it all wrong by making the following mistakes;

You only network when you need help
One of the biggest mistakes we make is not starting early. A lot of people start networking only when they need something desperately like a job, a recommendation, a verification of some sort or have a specific professional need.

To get this right, you need to be proactive. Start networking now when you don’t need help. Build relationships by supporting someone’s opinion or views that align with yours, refer or recommend someone if you can, offer to help if you are capable of doing so, share your values, help someone gain some credibility by verifying them on a skill and much more.

Remember, one good turn deserves another. When you sure need help, you won’t have to desperately ask for it, it would be easy.

You avoid people who share your job title
A lot of people assume there is little or nothing new they would learn from another professional in their field. Therefore, they connect only with either higher executives or people in other professional field with the hope that they would learn more valuable lessons that way. While that is great, some of the best ideas usually come from talking with other professionals in your field who share the same daily obstacles as you do.

Therefore, be open to meeting other people at the same level with you in your career, and discuss the challenges you face. It will feel good to get help from someone who understands you perfectly because are also trying to tackle similar issues. You never can tell, they also might be able to refer you to the right source to get something sorted. It could be career related or finance related.

You’re not prepared for a conversation or a follow up
A lot of people attend seminars, meet new people, get to know their names and end it there. That is poor networking. When you attend events and meet new people, you should be ready to go beyond the brief introductions of knowing their names. You should be ready to share your views on a subject and start a conversation. This way you encourage the other person to also share their opinions and there, you have a conversation. Take it a step further and don’t end the conversation at the seminar, do a follow up and check them out on social media to continue the conversation or start new meaningful conversation that would help you grow.

Finally, remember that networking is a continuous effort to build and support others just like you would want them to do in return.

Source: Networking Mistakes You Might Be Making

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Networking Mistakes You Might Be Making by jamata20: 3:17pm On Jan 21, 2019
Okay
Re: Networking Mistakes You Might Be Making by Olamsoh: 3:18pm On Jan 21, 2019
I told young Africans that nobody cares about them; that they are on their own in this World.

Togo
Cameroon
Libya
Sudan
Zimbabwe
Congo DRC

Nobody cares.

So if this generation of young Africans can't fight for their future, nobody else will.

4 Likes

Re: Networking Mistakes You Might Be Making by Basic123: 3:18pm On Jan 21, 2019
I love this.
Would this have stopped Nnamdi kanu ex-slaves from becoming hausa fulani muslim Atiku slaves despite the insults on hausa fulanis and Yorubas?...NO!

Next level!

Obasanjo and his Atikulooters will receive the shocking of their lives next month
Re: Networking Mistakes You Might Be Making by AwesomeRomeo: 3:21pm On Jan 21, 2019
This is not our thread, let's go somewhere undecided

1 Like

Re: Networking Mistakes You Might Be Making by Larrykiddo: 3:31pm On Jan 21, 2019
jamata20:
Okay
What shall it profit you to use your megabytes to chat on facebook, what's app, Instagram etc without earning money...

Think business because there is no time ....⌚

Be smart.. �

Invest..����

Think about Learning a skill that will pay you for life WHICH IS FOREX!
Re: Networking Mistakes You Might Be Making by slayprint: 3:33pm On Jan 21, 2019
I love this,nice write up

I make 3D phone cases,please check my profile.Thanks.
Re: Networking Mistakes You Might Be Making by uuzba(m): 4:05pm On Jan 21, 2019
When I joined my current employment, I didn't know anything about networking. All those things were just connected to each other and giving errors anyhow. So I got myself a copy of Networking for Dummies and learnt how to identify and differentiate between switches routers. I later learnt how data flows from one PC to another and what to do and check if expected data is slow or does not arrive.
Re: Networking Mistakes You Might Be Making by Newmans: 4:15pm On Jan 21, 2019
Delay is like timebomb get up now,

Call or WhatsApp this numb 08183692863, if you want that your phone and laptop to state working properly without disappointment.

The venue is at Ikeja.
Re: Networking Mistakes You Might Be Making by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 21, 2019
Wrong.

Burn all your bridges and face the world with your guts.

Win and chop alone. Selfishness is a virtue.

Eagles fly alone. No apologies
Re: Networking Mistakes You Might Be Making by mumin4sure(m): 4:30pm On Jan 21, 2019
I need accommodation anywhere not too far from Ikeja
Am ready to pay half of the rent .
You can reach me on 08136685344

(1) (Reply)

Career's Success:- Father's Disciplinary Love Versus Mother's Caring Love / Top 10 Professional Life Hacks For Workplace Productivity / Nigerian Lng Is Recruiting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.