Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,063 members, 7,814,663 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding (33613 Views)

How To Answer Questions On Lexis And Structure, Antonyms And Synonyms In Junior / Anambra Primary School Gives Goats As Gifts To Outstanding Students (Photos) / LAUTECH Students Honour Lecturer For Being Outstanding [Photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by 24hoursreporter: 11:35pm On Jan 24, 2019
The power of communication is often under-hyped. In fact, communication skill is one of the most important currencies in the 21st century. You can easily create an outstanding personality with it.

Again, great communication is not about phonetics. But how well you pass your message using the right choice of words.

Two people can pass the same message, but the result will be different. You want to know why? The answer is in the correct usage of words that captivate and intrigue.

Don’t get this twisted. I am not advocating that you should start using complicated vocabulary like Patrick Obahiagbon (AKA Igodomido), “O boy that guy English dey give me headache o” lol.

But you still need to use the right terms for certain things. This makes you speak more beautifully. And your audience will be eager to listen any time you speak.

Let me give you a quick example: You can say someone is “Fastidious” Instead of using the words “Demanding” or “Picky”.

We are actually in an era when people find it difficult to learn new words in the dictionary. But learning new words will enable you to express yourself better. This is because you know the exact word to explain how you feel

Without much ado, we present to you 21 powerful synonyms that will make your communication outstanding.

21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding

#1. Obfuscate

Obfuscate is a verb and it means something that is obscure, unclear and unintelligent. The word obfuscate sounds smarter in a sentence than “confuse” and “complicated”.

You can actually use obfuscate to sound smarter in your speech rather than “confuse” and “complicated”.

#2. Perfunctory

Perfunctory is an adjective and it means any action carried out without real interest, care or enthusiasm.

Perfunctory is a more subtle way of saying someone is lazy or careless. It is actually a synonym of lazy or careless.

#3. Equanimity

Equanimity is a noun and it means calmness, emotional stability, and composure in a difficult situation. It is a smarter synonym for Calm and Chill.

#4. Fastidious

Fastidious is an adjective and it means someone that is over particular, critical or demanding. Basically, a Fastidious person is very hard to please.

Fastidious is a more subtle synonym for “Picky”, or “demanding”.

#5. Parsimonious

The word parsimonious is an adjective and it means an unwillingness to spend money or use resources. It is a more polite synonym for Cheap or Stingy.

#6. Aplomb

Aplomb is one the synonyms that will make your communication outstanding. It is actually a noun and it means undying self-confidence, or assurance when in a demanding situation.

It is a smarter synonym for Tact or Confidence.

#7. Axiomatic

Axiomatic is an adjective. It means unquestionable, undeniable, requiring no proof. It is a powerful synonym for obvious.

#8. Ennui

Ennui is a noun and it means a feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement. You can actually use Ennui instead of Boredom.

#9. Lurid

Lurid is an adjective and it means something that is glaringly vivid and sensational. It is a smarter synonym for shocking.

#10. Solipsistic

Solipsistic means to be preoccupied with and indulgent of one’s feelings or desires. It is a more amazing synonym for self-absorbed, Narcissistic.

#11. Malaise

Malaise is a noun and it means a vague or unfocused feeling of mental uneasiness or discomfort. It is a more appealing word you can use instead of depression or despair.

#12. Diatribe

Diatribe is a noun. It means a forceful and bitter verbal attack or criticism against someone or something. It is a synonym for attack.

#13. Pusillanimous

Pusillanimous is an adjective which means lack of courage or resolution. It is a better synonym for cowardly or timid.

#14. Bloviate

Bloviate is a verb and it means speaking pompously. It is a powerful synonym for brag.

#15. Rococo

Rococo means being ornate or florid in speech, literal style. You can use Rococo instead of flamboyant.

#16. Pervicacious

Pervicacious is an adjective which means being obstinate, and extremely willful. It is a smarter synonym for ‘Stubborn.

#17. Cloying

Cloying is an adjective which means something that tends to cause disgust or aversion through excesses. It is a better word to use instead of sappy or cheesy.

#18. Sycophant

Sycophant is one of the power synonyms that will make your communication outstanding. It is a noun and it means flattering someone important to gain an advantage.

It is an outstanding word to use instead of suck-up.

#19. Malinger

Malinger is a noun. It means pretending to be ill in order to escape duty or work. It is a better synonym for Sham.

#20. Maudlin

Maudlin is an adjective. It means self-pitying or tearfully sentimental. You can use the word Maudlin instead of “Weepy”.

#21. Neophyte

Source: http://www.24hoursreporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Neophyte.png

34 Likes 14 Shares

Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by 24hoursreporter: 11:38pm On Jan 24, 2019

1 Like

Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by Whobedatte(m): 12:20am On Jan 25, 2019
I think "fastidious" means painstakingly done
Extra careful , skilled etc
Please some of this words has different meanings

10 Likes

Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by emmancipated(m): 3:13am On Jan 25, 2019
maybe "Pusillanimous" was gotten from pussy aśš nïggà

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by femi4: 6:30am On Jan 25, 2019
I am aplomb and axiomatic that this thread is destined for FP

6 Likes

Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by abbeyty(m): 6:49am On Jan 25, 2019
Even queen herself doesn't use all these words that can break teeth.

21 Likes

Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by gift01: 6:50am On Jan 25, 2019
femi4:
Your rococo is admirable but don't bloviate

16 Likes

Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by Annnonymous: 8:01am On Jan 25, 2019
femi4:

gift01:
Your rococo is admirable but don't bloviate

Una no get work..

27 Likes

Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by Offpoint: 8:16am On Jan 25, 2019
Too long for me to read. I'm not an orator, so F grammars... if you no understand wetin I yan....Hell is less than 2 miles from Nigeria.
Obfuscate my black ass
perfunctory my left ball
Rococo my D**k

10 Likes

Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by theophorus(m): 8:17am On Jan 25, 2019
...the ones I learnt recently;
1. Touché
2. Dot the P's and Q's.

Abegi this Anglit tire me joor.
Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by labusinessguide: 8:21am On Jan 25, 2019
Annnonymous:

Una no get work..

Lmao

3 Likes

Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by confusedGuy(m): 8:21am On Jan 25, 2019
Truth is using these words itself does not make you pass any message even...

Why use obfuscate when I can just say complicate and let them know what I mean?

10 Likes

Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by bellville: 8:21am On Jan 25, 2019
The world is moving towards the use of simple words and expressions. Even lawyers known for using "big grammar" are beginning to embrace words that everyone can easily understand. You shouldn't have to check the dictionary when I talk.

7 Likes

Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by ruggedtimi(m): 8:22am On Jan 25, 2019
“ennui” sounds like a word from benin language

1 Like

Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by iguita: 8:23am On Jan 25, 2019
Actually, the best of communications should be as simple as possible. Most of these words are complex. There are simpler words to use in replacing them. I'd rather use figures of speech to make a lasting impression than using large grammar. Much respect to the OP though

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by labusinessguide: 8:23am On Jan 25, 2019
I prefer simple...coherent, emotional, and beautiful writing.

Too much ambiguity makes a beautiful writing style tedious and unappealing to the reader.

Well... Learnt something new all the same

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by GlorifiedTunde(m): 8:24am On Jan 25, 2019
Annnonymous:

Una no get work..

Aswear! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by GlorifiedTunde(m): 8:26am On Jan 25, 2019
labusinessguide:
I prefer simple...coherent, emotional, and beautiful writing.

Too much ambiguity makes a beautiful writing style tedious and unappealing to the reader.

Well... Learnt something new all the same

You're right.

If at the end of it all, you're not passing a message to the recipients, then it has all been "noise", just like obiagbhon.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by TheTourist: 8:27am On Jan 25, 2019
Very lovely vocabulary polishing.
Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by ojuu4u(m): 8:31am On Jan 25, 2019
Neophyte..
Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by maisauki: 8:32am On Jan 25, 2019
Pls if a lady says 'i wil nt want' what dos it mean?
Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by rattlesnake(m): 8:32am On Jan 25, 2019
This poster must have failed GRE many times to teach this hahahah these are GRE words
Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by sweetrace(f): 8:34am On Jan 25, 2019
Whobedatte:
I think "fastidious" means painstakingly done
Extra careful , skilled etc
Please some of this words has different meanings

Most words in English have more than one definition. Fastidious also means to be fussy or finicky. Some words can actually have opposing meanings.
Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by labusinessguide: 8:35am On Jan 25, 2019
GlorifiedTunde:

You're right.

If at the end of it all, you're not passing a message to the recipients, then it has all been "noise", just like obiagbhon.

Absolutely!
Re: 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding by supereagle(m): 8:41am On Jan 25, 2019
I will rather use simple words and pass my message to the audience. Wole Shoyinka doesn't use big words always.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Okorocha To Build Islamic University In Daura, Buhari’s Hometown / Kaduna Poly Admission Admission Placement Information / Man Sends An Orphan He Met During NYSC In Rivers To University (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.