Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,363 members, 7,815,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:08 PM

Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? (594 Views)

Ruling On One Who Reads Qur’aan But Does Not Pray / Australian Muslims Pray For Rain In Bush Fire And Drought-ravaged Areas / Caution!!! Do Not Pray Before Its Time! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by abdulazeez1002(m): 6:38am On Jan 25, 2019
Praise be to Allah

Firstly:

The issue of the ruling on one who does not pray out of laziness and carelessness is one of the most well-known issues concerning which there is a difference of opinion among the scholars. There are two well-known scholarly views concerning this matter:

The first view is that he is Muslim, but he is an evildoer and sinner. This is the view of the majority of fuqaha.

Based on this view, the one who does not pray is to be treated as a Muslim who is an evildoer, in all matters.

The second view is that he is a disbeliever in the sense of major kufr [i.e., he is beyond the fold of Islam].

The evidence for it, and stating that we favour the view that he is a disbeliever if he completely abandons the salah (ie, never prays).

Nevertheless, this is one of the matters concerning which there is a considerable difference of opinion among the scholars, and there should be no blame on any scholar who favours either of these two views, so long as he has striven to work out the ruling (ijtihad), if he is one of those who are qualified to engage in ijtihad, or he is following a scholar of that calibre.

Secondly:

Based on what has been mentioned concerning the considerable difference of opinion as to whether the one who does not pray is a disbeliever or not, the issue of whether to treat him as an apostate is subject to further discussion:

-1-

If he is from a country where the well-known opinion, and the fatwas of the scholars whose fatwas are relied upon, state that the one who does not pray is Muslim but is a sinner, who is not beyond the fold of Islam, then he is to be treated according to the view of the scholars in his country.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

If he grew up in a country where they do not think that the one who does not pray is a disbeliever, and this opinion is the best-known and prevalent opinion among them, then he is not to be deemed a disbeliever, because he is following the scholars in his country, just as he is not to be regarded as a sinner for doing a haraam deed that the scholars in his country do not think is haraam, because the duty of the ordinary Muslim is to follow [the scholars], as Allah, may He be exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning): “So ask the people of knowledge if you do not know” [an-Nahl 16:43]. And Allah is the source of strength.

End quote from Majmoo‘ Fataawa ash-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (2/138).

-2-

But if he is in a country where the well-known view of the scholars and their fatwas state that the one who does not pray is a disbeliever,

Then when it comes to matters having to do with the rights of others, such as annulling his marriage, preventing him from inheriting, cancelling his guardianship and so on, he is not to be treated as an apostate in such matters until after the shar‘i judge (qadi) has ruled that he is an apostate.

This is in accordance with the view of the Hanbalis, who say that the one who does not pray is not deemed to be a disbeliever until after the qadi has issued a ruling to that effect.

Ibn an-Najjar said:

Whoever does not pray because he denies that it is obligatory has disbelieved; in other words, he has become an apostate and the ruling concerning him is the same as the ruling on all those who apostatise from Islam.… The same ruling applies if he does not pray out of carelessness or laziness, but in this case the ruling is to be applied after the leader or his deputy has urged him to pray but he refuses to do so, until there is not enough time left to offer the prayer that is currently due. In that case he is to be executed, as was stated by Imam Ahmad, because he has disbelieved. This is the view favoured by the majority.

End quote from Ma‘oonah Ooli an-Nuha Sharh al-Muntaha (1/454).

Al-Mirdawi said:

The one who should urge him to pray is the leader or his deputy. If he omitted many prayers before being urged to pray, then he is not to be executed or deemed to be a disbeliever, according to the correct view. This is the view of the majority of our companions, and was stated definitively by many of them.

End quote from al-Insaf fi Ma‘rifat ar-Rajih min al-Khilaf (1/401).

With regard to personal matters, such as offering the funeral prayer for him and praying for mercy for him after he dies, eating meat slaughtered by him, and so on, in such matters each person should act according to what he believes and what he thinks is most likely to be correct regarding this matter.

And Allah knows best.

1 Like

Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by Rashduct4luv(m): 8:40am On Jan 25, 2019
May Allaah make the acts of 'ibaadah easy for us. Aamin

1 Like

Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by Nobody: 9:28am On Jan 25, 2019
Hadithحَدَّثَنَا حَفْصُ بْنُ عُمَرَ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا شُعْبَةُ، عَنِ ابْنِ أَبِي السَّفَرِ، عَنِ الشَّعْبِيِّ، عَنْ عَدِيِّ بْنِ حَاتِمٍ، قَالَ سَأَلْتُ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَقَالَ ‏‏ إِذَا أَرْسَلْتَ كَلْبَكَ الْمُعَلَّمَ فَقَتَلَ فَكُلْ، وَإِذَا أَكَلَ فَلاَ تَأْكُلْ، فَإِنَّمَا أَمْسَكَهُ عَلَى نَفْسِهِ ‏"‏‏.‏ قُلْتُ أُرْسِلُ كَلْبِي فَأَجِدُ مَعَهُ كَلْبًا آخَرَ قَالَ ‏"‏ فَلاَ تَأْكُلْ، فَإِنَّمَا سَمَّيْتَ عَلَى كَلْبِكَ، وَلَمْ تُسَمِّ عَلَى كَلْبٍ آخَرَ ‏"‏‏.‏"Narrated `Adi bin Hatim:I asked the Prophet (about the hunting dogs) and he replied, "If you let loose (with Allah's name) your tamed dog after a game and it hunts it, you may eat it, but if the dog eats of (that game) then do not eat it because the dog has hunted it for itself." I further said, "Sometimes I send my dog for hunting and find another dog with it. He said, "Do not eat the game for you have mentioned Allah's name only on sending your dog and not the other dog."Sahih al-Bukhari 175 In-book : Book 4, Hadith 41 USC-MSA web (English) : Vol. 1, Book 4, Hadith 175  (deprecated)....

That's what sahabah said on someone that doesn't perform salah very well.. Talk less of someone who abandoned salah..

1 Like

Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by abdulazeez1002(m): 9:35am On Jan 25, 2019
Abuheekmat:
Hadithحَدَّثَنَا حَفْصُ بْنُ عُمَرَ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا شُعْبَةُ، عَنِ ابْنِ أَبِي السَّفَرِ، عَنِ الشَّعْبِيِّ، عَنْ عَدِيِّ بْنِ حَاتِمٍ، قَالَ سَأَلْتُ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَقَالَ ‏‏ إِذَا أَرْسَلْتَ كَلْبَكَ الْمُعَلَّمَ فَقَتَلَ فَكُلْ، وَإِذَا أَكَلَ فَلاَ تَأْكُلْ، فَإِنَّمَا أَمْسَكَهُ عَلَى نَفْسِهِ ‏"‏‏.‏ قُلْتُ أُرْسِلُ كَلْبِي فَأَجِدُ مَعَهُ كَلْبًا آخَرَ قَالَ ‏"‏ فَلاَ تَأْكُلْ، فَإِنَّمَا سَمَّيْتَ عَلَى كَلْبِكَ، وَلَمْ تُسَمِّ عَلَى كَلْبٍ آخَرَ ‏"‏‏.‏"Narrated `Adi bin Hatim:I asked the Prophet (about the hunting dogs) and he replied, "If you let loose (with Allah's name) your tamed dog after a game and it hunts it, you may eat it, but if the dog eats of (that game) then do not eat it because the dog has hunted it for itself." I further said, "Sometimes I send my dog for hunting and find another dog with it. He said, "Do not eat the game for you have mentioned Allah's name only on sending your dog and not the other dog."Sahih al-Bukhari 175 In-book : Book 4, Hadith 41 USC-MSA web (English) : Vol. 1, Book 4, Hadith 175  (deprecated)....

That's what sahabah said on someone that doesn't perform salah very well.. Talk less of someone who abandoned salah..
Did you read what I posted?? Capital No

Are you more knowledgeable than all the scholars above?? Capital No

Bring proofs not you saying Talk less of so so.

The Hadith you brought does not even relate to the topic I posted

1 Like

Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by Nobody: 9:36am On Jan 25, 2019
Hadithحَدَّثَنَا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ حَنْبَلٍ، حَدَّثَنَا وَكِيعٌ، حَدَّثَنَا سُفْيَانُ، عَنْ أَبِي الزُّبَيْرِ، عَنْ جَابِرٍ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏‏ بَيْنَ الْعَبْدِ وَبَيْنَ الْكُفْرِ تَرْكُ الصَّلاَةِ ‏"‏ ‏‏Jabir reported the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) as saying :Between a servant and unbelief there is the abandonment of prayer.Sahih (Al-Albani)Sunan Abi Dawud 4678 In-book : Book 42, Hadith 83 English translation : Book 41, Hadith 4661
Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by Nobody: 9:38am On Jan 25, 2019
abdulazeez1002:
Did you read what I posted?? Capital No

Are you more knowledgeable than all the scholars above?? Capital No

Bring proofs not you saying Talk less of so so.

The Hadith you brought does not even relate to the topic I posted

So rosul didn't explain Islam for us before he died. It's scholars that we will take their words without dalil..

Abi which dalil supports abandonment of salah is a sin xef
Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by abdulazeez1002(m): 9:42am On Jan 25, 2019
Abuheekmat:

So rosul didn't explain Islam for us before he died. It's scholars that we will take their words without dalil..

Abi which dalil supports abandonment of salah is a sin xef
Did you read the post above?? No.
Go and read it again and stop behaving like a ram

Didn't you see Quran verse quoted?? I forgot you didn't even read what I posted.

1 Like

Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by Nobody: 9:43am On Jan 25, 2019
Hadith

حَدَّثَنَا عَلِيُّ بْنُ مُحَمَّدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا وَكِيعٌ، حَدَّثَنَا سُفْيَانُ، عَنْ أَبِي الزُّبَيْرِ، عَنْ جَابِرِ بْنِ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ـ صلى الله عليه وسلم ـ ‏

‏ بَيْنَ الْعَبْدِ وَبَيْنَ الْكُفْرِ تَرْكُ الصَّلاَةِ ‏"

‏ ‏‏

It was narrated that Jabir bin "Abdullah said:

"The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: "Between a person and Kufr (disbelief) is abandoning the prayer.'"

Sahih (Darussalam)

English : Vol. 1, Book 5, Hadith 1078
Arabic : Book 5, Hadith 1131
Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by Nobody: 9:45am On Jan 25, 2019
abdulazeez1002:
Did you read the post above?? No.
Go and read it again and stop behaving like a ram

Didn't you see Quran verse quoted?? I forgot you didn't even read what I posted.

You posted different opinions of scholars and you left people in dilemma
Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by abdulazeez1002(m): 9:46am On Jan 25, 2019
Abuheekmat:
Hadith

حَدَّثَنَا عَلِيُّ بْنُ مُحَمَّدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا وَكِيعٌ، حَدَّثَنَا سُفْيَانُ، عَنْ أَبِي الزُّبَيْرِ، عَنْ جَابِرِ بْنِ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ـ صلى الله عليه وسلم ـ ‏

‏ بَيْنَ الْعَبْدِ وَبَيْنَ الْكُفْرِ تَرْكُ الصَّلاَةِ ‏"

‏ ‏‏

It was narrated that Jabir bin "Abdullah said:

"The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: "Between a person and Kufr (disbelief) is abandoning the prayer.'"

Sahih (Darussalam)

English : Vol. 1, Book 5, Hadith 1078
Arabic : Book 5, Hadith 1131

so how does this Hadith invalid what I posted above??
Lol

Go and seek for knowledge and stop behaving like a ram

1 Like

Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by abdulazeez1002(m): 9:47am On Jan 25, 2019
Abuheekmat:

You posted different opinions of scholars and you left people in dilemma
Speak for yourself.

Everybody understand unless you(and I no the reason?)

1 Like

Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by Nobody: 9:50am On Jan 25, 2019
Who ever abandon salah.. Even if it's just 1 salah.. It's kufru..

Unless it's due to the excuses that's in Sharia like sleeping
Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by Nobody: 9:53am On Jan 25, 2019
Those are clear verdict from rosul and sahabah.. Abadnoment of salah is kufru
Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by abdulazeez1002(m): 9:56am On Jan 25, 2019
Abuheekmat:
Who ever abandon salah.. Even if it's just 1 salah.. It's kufru..

Unless it's due to the excuses that's in Sharia like sleeping
If the one who does not pray does not do it because he denies that it is obligatory, even though he is aware that Allah has commanded that prayer be established, then he is a kaafir and an apostate according to the consensus of the ummah.

If a person does not pray because he denies that it is obligatory out of ignorance on his part that it is obligatory, such as one who is new in Islam, he is not deemed to be a kaafir, but he is to be taught and instructed to pray.

Everything have been summarize for you since you can't comprehend what was posted

1 Like

Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by Nobody: 10:02am On Jan 25, 2019
And as we all know.. There is excuse of ignorance in akham issues..

When you see someone that doesn't perform salah..

Explain to the person first. Don't just make takfeer..

Even if it's a salad the person missed, call him to attention and give him the hadith ...........
Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by abdulazeez1002(m): 10:17am On Jan 25, 2019
Abuheekmat:
And as we all know.. There is excuse of ignorance in akham issues..

When you see someone that doesn't perform salah..

Explain to the person first. Don't just make takfeer..

Even if it's a salad the person missed, call him to attention and give him the hadith ...........
So you can't still comprehend even with the summary above??

I have given up on you

1 Like

Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by Nobody: 10:25am On Jan 25, 2019
abdulazeez1002:
So you can't still comprehend even with the summary above??

I have given up on you

Mr man.. am not talking to you. and stop quoting me.
Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by abdulazeez1002(m): 10:31am On Jan 25, 2019
Abuheekmat:

Mr man.. am not talking to you. and stop quoting me.
ooh.good

1 Like

Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by Alhajiemeritus: 10:51am On Feb 14, 2019
Let me tell you the meaning of Kufar in case you don't know.
Kufar means not appreciating Allha's goodness in your life.
In Yoruba: Aimore is Olohun.
Back to the topic: Someone who doesn't perform Solar today, might wake up tomorrow after seeing a dream or after listening to scholars about the benefits of Solar and be in the first in the mosque the next morning until his death.
He might have a change of mind even the next hour.
So it is not right to declare him an apostate.
N.B
I didn't read what the op posted, I only answered the question.

1 Like

Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Feb 21, 2019
Alhajiemeritus:
Let me tell you the meaning of Kufar in case you don't know.
Kufar means not appreciating Allha's goodness in your life.
In Yoruba: Aimore is Olohun.
Back to the topic: Someone who doesn't perform Solar today, might wake up tomorrow after seeing a dream or after listening to scholars about the benefits of Solar and be in the first in the mosque the next morning until his death.
He might have a change of mind even the next hour.
So it is not right to declare him an apostate.
N.B
I didn't read what the op posted, I only answered the question.

You don't know what you are saying at all..
Do you the ghoyb?
Do you know what is hidden?
Who asked you to be looking for people mind?

Whoever is a kafir, and wants to repent.. That will be between him and Allah.. And whoever calls him a kafir without knowing he has repented has no fault. Calling him a kafir means to make people aware of his dolal.

When Abdul hassan al ashari when to do taobah.. He did it between him and Allah and he wrote books stating his manhaj clear.. (This is what whoever is famous on dolal should be doing)

Just like imam nawawi did and others..

And whoever has done taobah will surely let those or whoever has called him kafir know..

Aqeedah brings us all together and make us love each other.

Its also aqeedah that separate us..

Like adam abdulah.. He died a kafir
Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by Fundamentalist: 9:38am On Feb 23, 2019
Can someone tell me why the hadith I posted was removed embarassed
Re: Should One Who Does Not Pray Be Treated As An Apostate? by Nobody: 9:43am On Feb 23, 2019
Fundamentalist:
Can someone tell me why the hadith I posted was removed embarassed

Repost

(1) (Reply)

Hadith Of The Day / My Beloved ( Awesome) / Multimedia On Salat Procedures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.