Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,196 members, 7,842,482 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

10 Laws Everyone Is Guilty Of Breaking - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 10 Laws Everyone Is Guilty Of Breaking (683 Views)

Man Accused Of Breaking Into School And Sexually Assaulting Goats And Sheep / Let's Debate: Who Is Guilty IPOB/ ESN Vs Nigerian Army / African Richest Man, Dangote’s Girlfriend Indicts Him Of Breaking Her Heart (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Laws Everyone Is Guilty Of Breaking by Conspiracist: 9:45am On Jan 26, 2019
If you're like most people on this planet, you consider yourself a good person. You probably hold doors open for people, you have good manners, and of course, you would never think of breaking the law.

You might be surprised to learn that you may be breaking multiple laws every day and you don't even realize it. Yes, there are laws in place that forbid many of the things that we are used to doing every day, but are actually illegal.

So today I'm going to tell you exactly what those laws are, and trust me, they're going to surprise you. And yes, these are real laws, and yes, you can be arrested for them. grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Laws Everyone Is Guilty Of Breaking by Conspiracist: 9:49am On Jan 26, 2019
#1: Singing Happy Birthday.
If you've ever sang the song Happy Birthday in a public place, believe it or not, you've broken the law, surprise! cheesy The song was actually copyrighted back in 1935, and technically, you need to pay royalties in order to use it. Now, you might be thinking, well right, that's technically the law, but nobody actually abides by it, well actually that song brings in an estimated $2 million a year, so somebody's paying it.

The copyright to the song was purchased by Warner Music in 1988 for $25 million, and since then, has been the topic of multiple lawsuits. Now the song remains in a huge grey area at the moment, but most legal professionals realistically consider this song to be in a public domain at this point.

However, Warner Music would disagree, mostly because the song is the highest earning single song in history, as well as the most recognizable song in the English language.

But don't worry, you keep singing that Happy Birthday song, whatever makes you feel good, baby. You stick it to the man with your bad self.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Laws Everyone Is Guilty Of Breaking by Conspiracist: 9:51am On Jan 26, 2019
#2: Connecting To Unsecured WiFi networks
Let's be completely honest, some of you get pretty excited when your neighbor has unsecured WiFi, free surfing and no bill! Good times, except that it can get you thrown in prison. :-(

Connecting to an unsecured WiFi connection falls under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, which makes it a crime to have unauthorized access to anyone's computer or their WiFi.

How serious is it? Well in the United States, it's a third degree felony that carries a prison sentence of up to two years in jail and up to $10,000 in fines not sure the fines imposed in Nigeria.

Now, realistically, will this happen? Probably not, but, I wouldn't want to test getting caught. Besides if you really want WiFi, just come over to my place. My WiFi name is "Connect And Die" and the password is "Village People", I'm a loner. grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Laws Everyone Is Guilty Of Breaking by Conspiracist: 9:55am On Jan 26, 2019
#3: Selling Stuff Online

Most of us at some point have sold something online, whether it's through Olx or some other online merchant. And these sites have very clear rules when it comes to selling things like bootlegged movies, alcohol and tobacco products, this you already know, but did you know that anything you sell online, big or small, must be claimed as income on your Federal tax return?

Oh yeah, you're going to jail because you sold an old sweater, sorry. No of course I'm kidding, chances are the Federal government is not going to find out about the $10 that you made off of selling your stuffs but the fact remains that the law requires you to claim that money, in fact, theoretically the FIRS probably doesn't care where your income comes from as long as you claim it and pay taxes on it.

This literally means that if you're a drug dealer, you better be claiming all those dime bags you sellin, baby. Although nobody really expects all you mini Pablo Escobars out there to start paying your fair share of taxes, so, you go on your way.

Re: 10 Laws Everyone Is Guilty Of Breaking by Conspiracist: 10:21am On Jan 26, 2019
#4: Carrying A Permanent Marker

If you like crafts prepare to cry, believe it or not, if you've ever carried a marker like a Sharpie or any other kind of permanent writing tool, depending on where you are, you likely broke the law.

This is because many places have passed anti-graffiti laws that ban you from carrying aerosol cans or permanent markers, in the U.S., many states like New York and California have even passed laws making it illegal to buy markers if you're under the age of 18.

The government considers them graffiti tools, and although it's unlikely that you'll be frisked, or for that matter arrested, in many states it's not worth the risk.

Re: 10 Laws Everyone Is Guilty Of Breaking by Conspiracist: 1:26pm On Jan 26, 2019
#5: Using A Car Air Freshener
That air freshener hanging from your rear view mirror making your whole ride smell like pine trees and bird songs is actually illegal, according to many cities, states and highway patrol agencies, anything that hangs to impede your view of your windshield, even a small amount, can lead to an accident and therefore is against the law.

Yes this includes most air fresheners, hanging dice, sunglasses or anything else that restricts your field of vision, even though it might seem completely silly, it's been proven that even a tree style air freshener can completely block out someone on a motorcycle if it sits at the right angle.

Re: 10 Laws Everyone Is Guilty Of Breaking by Conspiracist: 1:28pm On Jan 26, 2019
#6 Betting With Your Friends

If you've ever been hanging with your friends and you all start placing bets, say on a game like football or basketball, you may have actually broken the law.

According to the Illegal Gambling Act in the US, if there were five or more people involved in a total of #720,000 or more, it constitutes illegal gambling and is punishable for up to 10 years in prison, now you likely haven't bet that much, so you're probably okay, but if you ever had a gamble night with dudes, there's a chance that that amount may have been involved.

Now don't worry, you're not going to prison, unless someone snitch on you, watch out for that new guy with the mustache, you can't trust anyone with a mustache. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Just kidding grin

Re: 10 Laws Everyone Is Guilty Of Breaking by Conspiracist: 1:30pm On Jan 26, 2019
#7: Using Fake Names Online

If you've never done this, you haven't been on the internet. Everyone at some point has entered fake info online for something, whether it's an online registration form, a Facebook name or some gaming site. Ah, and again steps in the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. That act forbids anyone from using a false name for signing up for anything, and believe it or not, doing so constitutes hacking and is punishable for up to 20 years in prison.

Mhm, that's right, you wanna think again about calling yourself Tony Flamingo? But hey, you're thinking nobody's actually gonna go to jail for something like that, right? Nope, in 2010, a prison guard named Matthew Laqua was arrested for creating a fake Facebook profile for his boss. And arrests like this are becoming much more common as cyber bullying and fraud continues to grow, so don't risk it.

Re: 10 Laws Everyone Is Guilty Of Breaking by Conspiracist: 1:40pm On Jan 26, 2019
#8: Swearing In Public

Everybody at some point swears, in fact studies suggest that swearing is a healthy and natural way to relieve anger. But believe it or not, if other people hear you, you just broke the law, in many places including the United States and Canada, the criminal code states that if swearing causes other people in the vicinity to take notice, then it is indeed an offense that can be met with fines, and yes, even jail time, it falls under creating a public disturbance or disturbing the peace, so be careful.

Re: 10 Laws Everyone Is Guilty Of Breaking by Conspiracist: 1:42pm On Jan 26, 2019
So those were 10 laws that you've likely broken and didn't even know it, but now that you know, I need to know because I'm curious, be honest now, how many of these laws have you broken, you don't have to saw which ones, but just leave a number in the comments, or, you know, if you're feeling badass cool cool, say exactly which ones, ooh look at you. I hope lalasticlala makes this reach FP, please help me mention him till the post reach FP thanks
Re: 10 Laws Everyone Is Guilty Of Breaking by Nobody: 2:08am On Jan 27, 2019
Lol where can report people that have broken all these laws
Re: 10 Laws Everyone Is Guilty Of Breaking by Ajibolatao(m): 5:23pm On Jan 27, 2019
why not get Premium Lynda.com by contacting me or checking out this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/4864664/premium-lynda.com-account-watch-download

(1) (Reply)

Former Lagos Cleaner Shares Grass To Grace Story / Killed This Snake Behind My House This Morning / Fast Satta King Result Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.