Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,467 members, 7,830,355 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:09 PM

Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny (24184 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by grandstar(m): 11:12pm On Jan 27, 2019
One reason for his not winning a Nobel Prize was he had no recent writing to gauge him on for sometime.

That might have been an after effect of the war which might have left him feeling depressed and traumatised! Poor fellow

He wasn't against the country but despised the corruption riddled political class and the rot they left behind

One of his poems sums it all:

"The sinister grin of Africa's idiot kings
Who oversee in obscene palaces of gold the butchery of their own people"

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jan 27, 2019
PearlStreet:

Bro, that's the sad truth.

That's how most Igbos see other Nigerians. Igbos and others.

Chinua Achebe carried this same bitterness in him and that's why he wrote the last piece of trash he wrote. In fact, GEJ was so pissed that he didn't give Chinua Achebe a state burial and Chinua was buried like a dog.

Do you know that till today, as eternally stupid as it sounds, most Igbos still blame Soyinka for not allowing Chinua Achebe win a Nobel.

One was arguing with me last year that Achebe didn't win a Nobel cos he supported Biafra. I had to remind him the Soyinka supported Biafra and in fact, was jailed for supporting Biafra. As at when Soyinka was jailed for Biafra, Chinua Achebe was travelling around the world, sleeping with college girls in America.

Chumamanda is just a chip off the old block: clannish, tribalistic, bitter and frustrated feminist.

Any documentary proof of this serious allegation against the good Professor Achebe? grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by Adakintroy: 11:28pm On Jan 27, 2019
How many of you connects everything to tribe beats me.

If you wish to be educated go all the way till you reach enlightenment. Dont block you view with all this.

I know a friend whenever he is watching Chelsea matches he stops watching football. Every ref decision is bias,everyone is stupid and only Chelsea is right.

Setiments will stop you from seeing the big picture of our collective archievements.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by germaphobe(m): 11:39pm On Jan 27, 2019
PearlStreet:

Chinua Achebe carried this same bitterness in him and that's why he wrote the last piece of trash he wrote. In fact, GEJ was so pissed that he didn't give Chinua Achebe a state burial and Chinua was buried like a dog.

Do you know that till today, as eternally stupid as it sounds, most Igbos still blame Soyinka for not allowing Chinua Achebe win a Nobel.

One was arguing with me last year that Achebe didn't win a Nobel cos he supported Biafra. I had to remind him the Soyinka supported Biafra and in fact, was jailed for supporting Biafra. As at when Soyinka was jailed for Biafra, Chinua Achebe was travelling around the world, sleeping with college girls in America.

Chumamanda is just a chip off the old block: clannish, tribalistic, bitter and frustrated feminist.
. Bia mister know all, do you also know that wole never opposed the opinion of the whites like achebe did, speaking of nobel na just because of his unwillingness to support all of the british ish that made him never get one, but one thing is certian thw whole world wide knows achebe and his books more and wole and his white hair.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by Pvin: 11:44pm On Jan 27, 2019
phekima:
Logical, her writings are beautifully nuanced with Igbo traditions. Forget Wole Soyinka; when it comes to telling a beautiful story, Prof doesn't really come close to any of 'em.

From the dawn of time, the Igbos have always been great storytellers, while the Yorubas on the other hand, extremely excellent poets.
I agree with you,
That's why Igbos are better actors and Yorubas are better musicians
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by imitateMe(m): 11:45pm On Jan 27, 2019
GBOKASINCHA:
lol ode i know u wer hoping to see ur cultist proffesor on the list grin
You can't even spell professor! I would be disappointed if Sole Soyinka was mentioned alongside those less educated fake writers! Sole Soyinka belongs to another class entirely; he is a Nobel Laurette. Till eternity, no Igbo will ever bag that title.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by PearlStreet(m): 11:47pm On Jan 27, 2019
germaphobe:
. Bia mister know all, do you also know that wole never opposed the opinion of the whites like achebe did, speaking of nobel na just because of his unwillingness to support all of the british ish that made him never get one, but one thing is certian thw whole world wide knows achebe and his books more and wole and his white hair.

Opposition of the 'whites'?
You actually know nothing.

If you're referring to Americans and Europeans, Achebe never ever opposed them. In fact, he wrote his stories to buttress their jaundiced views of those you call "whites".

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by booblacain(m): 12:43am On Jan 28, 2019
kolaxed98:
mtcheew!!

none of them reach wole soyinka thumb

texazzpete:
Chimamanda was speaking at an Igbo cultural event, and talking about Igbo writers that influenced her.
How would you people expect she would mention Soyinka there when Wole Soyinka isn’t an Igbo man ?
Do you know how many other foreign writers influenced her? Those also went unmentioned because the context was about Igbo writers.

Way too many dull people on Nairaland.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by booblacain(m): 12:44am On Jan 28, 2019
thesicilian:
So no inspiration from any non igbo writer.

texazzpete:
Chimamanda was speaking at an Igbo cultural event, and talking about Igbo writers that influenced her.
How would you people expect she would mention Soyinka there when Wole Soyinka isn’t an Igbo man ?
Do you know how many other foreign writers influenced her? Those also went unmentioned because the context was about Igbo writers.

Way too many dull people on Nairaland.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by germaphobe(m): 1:07am On Jan 28, 2019
PearlStreet:

Opposition of the 'whites'?
You actually know nothing.

If you're referring to Americans and Europeans, Achebe never ever opposed them. In fact, he wrote his stories to buttress their jaundiced views of those you call "whites".

. Well i know nothing thanks for that but you that knows something better check ur word to see if you sound tribal before commenting. But truely i know nothing

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by Ezniteadin(m): 1:12am On Jan 28, 2019
She is a bigoted Tribalist desperately seeking to divide through sentiments, She loves all four but was seen beggarly seeking a Pose with Wole Soyinka Last week. I have read all four and none of them write as excellent as Wole Soyinka. "Go read Ake", "The man died" The Trial of brother Jero", "You must break forth at dawn" Idanre and the other Poems, "A shuttle in the crypt" "Climate of Fear" "King Baabu" "Opera Wonyosi" Season of anatomy" and others and be amazed or thrown into the realms of his mystical minds and erudition, she always seeks to promote her tribe by these drifts, everyone knows that the Soyinka race ranks high in intellectual dexterity in literature, law and medicine and general science, despite her passive acquiescence.

These four of her choice are the only hero of her race, Chimammanda must grow up and stop these selfish selection and her constant rhetorical diatribe against the huge intelligence resident in Nigeria, I have always picked certain of her conjectures and you can see Tribalism emitting from her constitution. If you have read Ayi Kwei Armah, Nadine Gordimer,Ben Okri, Ngugi wa Thiong’o, Dennis Brutus, Mongo Beti, Jomo Kenyatta,Thomas Mafolo and many others, to limit excellence to her tribe is shameful and an obvious bias

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by BluntBoy(m): 1:40am On Jan 28, 2019
chiboy1116:
u need to talk with sense ...I am sure u haven't read any of their books .
Achebe and Soyinka are great talented writers in African literature. Achebe was a good story teller in prose while Soyinka is very good at play and poem (Drama & Poetry). Achebe was a good novelist, (prose). Soyinka is a good playwright (drama). Both of them are good writers in different genres of literature but in term of novel, Chinua Achebe was better than Wole Soyinka. And in term of play and poem, Soyinka is better than Achebe.

How can you say Achebe was a better novelist than Soyinka?

Just say he was a better storyteller. Novel writing goes beyond telling a story. It involves other devices.

For instance, Achebe was a great storyteller but when it comes to novel writing, he was not as rich in depth as novelists like Coatzee and Mahfouz or even Gordimer.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by BluntBoy(m): 1:54am On Jan 28, 2019
germaphobe:

Between Soyinka and Achebe, Achebe was the asslicker of the British.

Soyinka mocks the white in most of his works while Achebe portrayed the whites as superior to the blacks.

Even in his personal life, Soyinka refused to tolerate the white man's religion. None of his children bears foreign names. He is a traditional man to the core.

He won the Nobel prize purely on merit.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by chiboy1116: 2:06am On Jan 28, 2019
BluntBoy:

How can you say Achebe was a better novelist than Soyinka?

Just say he was a better storyteller. Novel writing goes beyond telling a story. It involves other devices.

For instance, Achebe was a great storyteller but when it comes to novel writing, he was not as rich in depth as novelists like Coatzee and Mahfouz or even Gordimer.
I guess u don't even know the meaning of a novel , a novel is also a prose and that's Achebe's specialty . Poetry and drama goes to Soyinka .
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by Olawalesmarter(m): 2:46am On Jan 28, 2019
Whether they like it or not, I am the Greatest Writer to ever exist ..... I won the President of Africa Award ...... and no one has ever won it undecided
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by tomdon(m): 3:31am On Jan 28, 2019
PearlStreet:

Wow I see
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by WeRblessed(f): 4:32am On Jan 28, 2019
martineverest:
op,Which one is 'igbo Nigerian’ again? that's tribalistic of u

What makes it tribalistic? Is Chiamanda an housa or yoruba? What did the OP do wrong? I'm just saying. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by Gforce2019: 5:24am On Jan 28, 2019
Kellibae:
Amanda my role model.

Modified.. Afonjas are really insecure people.
So Amanda mentioned her influencers in writing and they are crying and wailling because she didn't mention YORUBA undecided

....and you and your Amanda are tribal bigot
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by desmond2pk: 5:58am On Jan 28, 2019
PearlStreet:

Pepper dem. A real afonja fulani urine licker. Keep insulting yourself. You are angry because she didn't name any afonja? But tell me any afonja good author?
Non.
So keep quiet.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by 1Dray(m): 6:20am On Jan 28, 2019
chiefolododo:
WOLE SOYINKA IS FAR BETTER THAN ALL OF THEM COMBINED TOGETHER

Soyinka writes garbage.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by texazzpete(m): 6:25am On Jan 28, 2019
wwwmaster:

Let's be honest here, there is no influenced of Soyinka in her writings.
Their plots and writing patterns are not even remotely related.

If you have read any of her works you will notice the style of Flora.

Point to one thing in my earlier statement that insinuates that I think Soyinka had an influence on her writing. Why do you people have such severe comprehension issues?!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by texazzpete(m): 6:25am On Jan 28, 2019
1Dray:

Soyinka writes garbage.

Objectively, this is false.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by 1Dray(m): 6:37am On Jan 28, 2019
texazzpete:

Objectively, this is false.

That may be what you feel, but to me there's nothing special about his write-ups. His write-ups are lame and more of garbages.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by safetyInspector(m): 6:40am On Jan 28, 2019
I guess many of you don't know the meaning of inspiration. Anybody can inspire somebody. Emmanuela inspire some people yet she is nowhere near Omotola, Genevieve, etc.
mixzstar:
Yet none of them won a laureate shocked
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by Basic123: 6:54am On Jan 28, 2019
PearlStreet:

One thing I have noticed about Igbo is that they argue base on motion not with knowledge and intelligence.They are very emotional!

99% of Igbo don't know soyinka was jailed because of biafra yet they hate him because of GEJ and chinua ACHEBE.
There love for biafra is erratically emotional,of not one hausa fulani muslim Atiku will not buy them and their biafra as slaves from nnamdi Kanu with dollars!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by Ellixlimswag(m): 7:11am On Jan 28, 2019
phekima:
Logical, her writings are beautifully nuanced with Igbo traditions. Forget Wole Soyinka; when it comes to telling a beautiful story, Prof doesn't really come close to any of 'em.

From the dawn of time, the Igbos have always been great storytellers, while the Yorubas on the other hand, extremely excellent poets.
How about Hausas
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by Alexbrain(m): 7:12am On Jan 28, 2019
PearlStreet:

From your comment, you seem like the one that is tribalistic, bitter and frustrated.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by Collins10(m): 7:17am On Jan 28, 2019
PearlStreet:

Chinua Achebe was buried like a dog? Please keep quiet if you have nothing to say.

Your grandfather wasn't famous, but was he buried like a dog? I don't think so.
I think your family probably pooled resources together and buried him respectfully in your own gentle way.

Do you know what it means to be 'buried like a dog'?

Chinua Achebe wasn't given a State Burial. He was not buried with ablomp like someone of his celebrity status should have, but he definitely was not buried like a dog.

Some of you throw words around carelessly!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny by IbrahimDamola: 7:30am On Jan 28, 2019
Chei this one don pain my Yoruba Muslim skull. KingofallIgbos abeg come helep me lament against Adichie the Ipobian writer. grin

1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Untitled Fiction / How To Say "I Love You" In Different Languages / Republic Day Speech In Marathi Language | 26 January Speech In Marathi Pdf

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.