Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,936 members, 7,814,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Before You Buy That Farmland… - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Before You Buy That Farmland… (814 Views)

Read This Before You Buy That Farmland / 31.69 Hac Of Farmland For Sale 500,000 Per Hac / Get bulldozer and tractor service For your farmland . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before You Buy That Farmland… by Nobody: 9:25am On Jan 28, 2019
A lot of people miss out on the steps to take before finally paying for a farmland
I will be highlighting some of those steps to take before you pay for a land from my personal experience. Stay tuned, contributions are welcomed...
The first thing to do in the process of acquiring a farmland is PHYSICAL INSPECTION. Never pay for a farmland you haven't visited physically. There are some things you would be able to observe upon physical visit to the farm. One of those things is the

Fertility of the farm. Yes, I know that you can't assess the fertility of a farmland by mere physical evaluation, but I tell you, you can tell if the land is averagely fertile by observing the vegetation on the farm. I am not talking about the presence of trees; I have come to realize that some farmers intentionally spare the trees so that when they want to sell the farm, they will tell you it's a virgin land whereas it isn't anything close to a virgin land. Is the vegetation very dense or sparse; what is the color of the vegetation, deep green or lighter shades of green ... All these can help in discerning if the land is averagely fertile or barren. Please run away from any farmland that is arid; what do I mean? I have come across a farmland that even weeds refused to germinate on it, well if you ask me, I call that chronic barreness. Never buy such kind of land with the aim of applying manure or fertilizer. It will take time and money for any form of fertilizer or manure to make such land useful for plant cultivation. But you can actually buy those kind of land for animal rearing

Another reason for physical inspection is to identify any evidence of destroyed corner piece. If there is anything of such on the land, there is a possibility of dispute on that land. My advice... FLEE! smiley

Finally, even if you ask another person to help you inspection a land, make sure that at one point or the other you visit the land before making any payment

1 Like

Re: Before You Buy That Farmland… by Nobody: 9:46am On Jan 28, 2019
The next step to take after physical inspection is to employ a Legal Practitioner . Nigerians please erase that mentality that employing a lawyer is going to affect your finance. I tell you, it isn't as expensive as you think it is. Acquiring a property without any form of legal backing makes you vulnerable. These people are professionals, they will give you the appropriate advice as regards acquiring a property. Don't forget that lawyers have the professional ability to study and interpret the psychology of your prospective sellers and can tell you if your prospective seller is a potential criminal. Please never skip this step no matter how small the property you are purchasing is! There are some properties that already have a lawyer in charge, in that case, acquaint yourself with the lawyer and ask questions to clear your doubts and this will put your mind at rest. In the case of any issue with the land, you have someone to run to to defend your right and interest
Re: Before You Buy That Farmland… by Nobody: 10:10am On Jan 28, 2019
The next step after employing a Legal Practitioner is to Carry out your investigation. This is where the lawyer comes in, let a professional do the investigation for you. Let me share a story about my experience;

I was to help a client scout for a land around a settlement in ogun state, I went to the Baale who is an aged man, and we talked. He was so accommodating that he told me that my client could pay for the land instamentally. I relayed this to my client. When my client was ready for physical inspection of the land, we went to the settlement only to find out that baba was deceased, we met one of his sons that was around on my first visit and he told us that we can still proceed with the acquisition process. I went with a lawyer in my third visit for investigation, you won't believe it, within 30 minutes in the settlement, he was able to extract genuine information about that land from the villagers; something me and my client couldn't do. We discovered that there was something fishy about the land and he advised that we discard the land. Imagine we had payed for that land before engaging a lawyer...

In the course of your investigation, ask for the necessary documents, are you buying directly from the owners of the land or is someone selling on their behalf. If someone is selling on their behalf, ask for a document called 'POWER OF ATTORNEY'. This is a document that confirms the power to sell a property on a person on behalf of another person.

Ask for the coordinates of the land and go the ministry of survey to check if the land has been charted. For those in ogun state, it is done at abeokuta. Some farmlands don't have a survey plan, in that case, get a surveyor to help you get the coordinates of the land.

In the course of your investigation, don't forget to ask questions from the settlement traditional rulers if available. I can tell you that those guys knows the name of every family that has a major expanse of land in their community and are usually informed when they are about to sell those properties. It will only cost you a stipend or a bottle of schnapps to tip them.

I hope this information are valuable to someone out there, if so, you can encourage the writer. Please stay tuned, more to come

3 Likes

Re: Before You Buy That Farmland… by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 29, 2019
Final step is to MAKE PAYMENT. In the process of making payments for that land, have it in mind

Never go alone, make sure you have a witness at least.

It's better to go cashless and make your payment using electronic medium

Never argue with anyone, don't forget you are in an isolated place, consider your security first. When you get home, you can argue on the phone grin

If possible, go with a lawyer and let your lawyer do the talking

Lastly, take enough pictures or even videos as this could serve as evidence in the future

1 Like

Re: Before You Buy That Farmland… by paito: 8:24am On Jan 30, 2019
Water level

1 Like

Re: Before You Buy That Farmland… by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jan 30, 2019
@ Patio, please can you shed more light on this sir?
Re: Before You Buy That Farmland… by Nobody: 6:52am On Jan 31, 2019
Re: Before You Buy That Farmland… by paito: 10:38am On Jan 31, 2019
Go and ask if the water available can take care of your plans. Thank
Re: Before You Buy That Farmland… by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 31, 2019
paito:
Go and ask if the water available can take care of your plans. Thank

Thanks for your input sir
Re: Before You Buy That Farmland… by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jan 31, 2019
Now that you have secured the Land what next? Stay tuned for NEXT THING TO DO AFTER ACQUIRING A LAND

Contact me if you need a lawyer to do free background checks on your lands

(1) (Reply)

A UNN Student Decided To Confirm If Truly Onions Doesn't Grow In Southeast / Supreme Premium Rice (50kg) 23k Only / Solve This Problem And Money Will Follow You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.