Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,237 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? (2008 Views)

Say Hello To My New Baby - Sammy S23 Ultra / Say Hello To My New Infinix Zero 8 / Should We Say Ntel Nigeria Is Dead? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by OlieEvan(m): 12:22pm On Jan 30, 2019
Good day y'all

I noticed I made a call today, and due to the bad weather condition, networks has been a bit 'Under the weather'.

I said the normal ''hello'', and recipient said ''hello'' too. Then I began my conversation thinking she could hear me, loh and behold, she was not.

I was hearing 'hello' and 'hello', I too was also replying 'hello' 'hello' till the call got finally disrupted.

I went into deep thought and realized that I and my reciever had been shouting ''Hellos''.

Isn't that someones name?
Is there any other word to replace it?
If there is please, drop your mind.
Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by Psychodavidovic(m): 1:41pm On Jan 30, 2019
Hello is just short for "Do you copy ?" grin

6 Likes

Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by OlieEvan(m): 2:26pm On Jan 30, 2019
So we all are starting all calls with ''do you copy''?
Abeg no make me laff biko.

3 Likes

Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by MallamJackson(m): 2:38pm On Jan 30, 2019
I personally don't say that word more than twice in succession during a phone call I initiated

my first usage of the word is to confirm my call has gone through

my second usage is to confirm the recipient is with me if the person isn't I ask

CAN YOU HEAR ME?

if the response is yes then there's a communication if not I end it and dial again

Also if I'm the recipient I say it twice if you stay quiet or the call is breaking up I then ask

CAN YOU HEAR ME?

If its same I end it.

I don't continue calling on HELL o... like it's a nice place

cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by BlueRayDick: 2:53pm On Jan 30, 2019
Just start your next call with ''Mayday ! Mayday!''

11 Likes

Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by Bamz(m): 4:31pm On Jan 30, 2019
The use of hello as a phone greeting has been credited to Thomas Edison, but there are no hard and fast rules to this.

BlueRayDick's idea is an option cheesy

You don't have to lose sleep over this, you could use conventional greetings: Hi, Good day etc

1 Like

Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by Brownhypo: 5:19pm On Jan 30, 2019
"Hello" is the name of the wife of the inventor of the first phone.
Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by 11Anonymous(m): 5:52pm On Jan 30, 2019
Big boys and ladies don't say hello.

We say whatever we like aside 'hello' when the call is connected cool
Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by Opistorincos(m): 7:19pm On Jan 30, 2019
My side, we say 'how far'... If the call is from an unknown number 'opeyemi speaking', nothing more.
Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by ewizard1: 7:20pm On Jan 30, 2019
11Anonymous:
Big boys and ladies don't say hello.

We say whatever we like aside 'hello' when the call is connected cool
Lies! grin
Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by Ecstasy9(m): 7:36pm On Jan 30, 2019
I don't normally say "hello" ... I say Good morning, afternoon or evening..
Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by Darkseid(m): 7:41pm On Jan 30, 2019
Brownhypo:
"Hello" is the name of the wife of the inventor of the first phone.
I knew someone would bring up this lie here.
Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by Fidelismaria: 8:16pm On Jan 30, 2019
Lol

I personally use 'hey what's up?'

But if na mumsy or family related na 'hello ma or hello Sir'
Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by rossychik(f): 8:37pm On Jan 30, 2019
MallamJackson:
I personally don't say that word more than twice in succession during a phone call I initiated

my first usage of the word is to confirm my call has gone through

my second usage is to confirm the recipient is with me if the person isn't I ask

CAN YOU HEAR ME?

if the response is yes then there's a communication if not I end it and dial again

Also if I'm the recipient I say it twice if you stay quiet or the call is breaking up I then ask

CAN YOU HEAR ME?

If its same I end it.

I don't continue calling on HELL o... like it's a nice place

cheesy
very funny, my dear HELL no be here
Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by MallamJackson(m): 8:44pm On Jan 30, 2019
rossychik:

very funny, my dear HELL no be here
...cheesy
Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jan 30, 2019
Hey, Hi, xup....To ur buddy - wetin dey happen? what's good, How far...If the line breaks or u cant hear d person again - Can u hear me?. Dat's all
Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by Khd95(m): 2:13am On Jan 31, 2019
When I call my guys or they call me

I answer with omo oba or bro cool
Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by femi4: 5:55am On Jan 31, 2019
OlieEvan:
Good day y'all

I noticed I made a call today, and due to the bad weather condition, networks has been a bit 'Under the weather'.

I said the normal ''hello'', and recipient said ''hello'' too. Then I began my conversation thinking she could hear me, loh and behold, she was not.

I was hearing 'hello' and 'hello', I too was also replying 'hello' 'hello' till the call got finally disrupted.

I went into deep thought and realized that I and my reciever had been shouting ''Hellos''.

Isn't that someones name?
Is there any other word to replace it?
If there is please, drop your mind.
Its called phone ethics.
In the physical, you have to greet or say hi before starting a conversation.

Same applies to phone .

Hello: used as a greeting or to begin a telephone conversation

1 Like

Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by DavidEsq(m): 7:41am On Jan 31, 2019
I don't do hello all the time. I sometimes do the Rick Ross grunt cheesy and e dey make sense die cheesy

1 Like

Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by dayleke: 8:20am On Jan 31, 2019
Hey!!
Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by Hisduchess(f): 9:50am On Jan 31, 2019
who hello epp
the first thing I say to my brother is "snake how far" and he will say "fish head how far" to me grin grin

1 Like

Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by OlieEvan(m): 10:33am On Jan 31, 2019
After reading through all these posts, I have made my decision to never say 'Hello'

A friend called this morning and all I could say was the name of that person. i.e, "Emediong, Goodmorning, How far"
Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by Starboytwo(m): 10:51am On Jan 31, 2019
Hello good morning

Yo!

Hi

Whats up

Wahray

Modafucker....
Depending on who called.....

But I think I'd stopped saying hello...
Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by FrozenBlaze: 12:12pm On Jan 31, 2019
Hisduchess:
who hello epp
the first thing I say to my brother is "snake how far" and he will say "fish head how far" to me grin grin
Look at Lala's sister.

FH, how far.
Re: Must We Say ''hello'' At The Beginning Of Every Call? by AceRoot(m): 1:19pm On Jan 31, 2019
BlueRayDick:
Just start your next call with ''Mayday ! Mayday!''

And do not be surprised to hear a Nigerian answer back with,

WHERE MAY DEY, WHO SHE BE, WHY YOU DEY ASK ME ?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Airtel Freebasics / Advice On Tecno Camon 12 And Samsung A30 / See What It Cost To Build An Iphone 12/12 Pro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.