Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous (32871 Views)

I Have Got Xiaomi 12S Ultra. And I Am A Bit Disappointed / Banks Reducing Their International Spending Limit To $100 Is Just Ridiculous / Just Look At This Girl's Ridiculous Whatsapp Status (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by seunfly: 2:19pm On Jan 30, 2019
Apple's iPhone revenue has plunged in the December quarter, and the company is ready to make some changes.

According to CEO Tim Cook, Apple will reduce prices of the iPhone in markets where local currencies have weakened against the dollar.

“As we’ve gotten into January and assessed the macroeconomic condition in some of those markets, we’ve decided to go back to more commensurate with what our local prices were a year ago in hopes of helping the sales in those areas,” Cook told Reuters (via The Next Web).

If you've never bought an iPhone outside of the U.S., you may not be aware of just how staggering the price difference is. I've been pointing it out over and over and over -- it's hard to justify spending $1,760 for a maxed-out iPhone XS (UK pricing at launch) when the exact same model costs $1,349 in the U.S. And it's even harder in a country like Hungary, where the price is even higher and the average customer's purchasing power is far lower than in the U.S.

Yes, a part of the price difference is in taxes, and yes, the U.S. pricing does not reflect local taxes, and yes, Apple has additional distribution costs in markets other than the U.S. But the simple truth is that iPhone prices are too high for many international buyers, and Apple definitely can do something about it. Now, we've simply reached the point where the company is willing to address the issue.

In the same interview, Cook talked about the growth of its services business. There, revenue is up 19 percent year-over-year, and the company is poised to launch new services in 2019, including (probably) a video streaming service. Cook noted that the services gross margin gets more efficient as services business gets larger, and the business gets larger when the company sells more iPhones, so reducing its price makes sense. But it's worth noting that Cook sang a different tune in 2017, when the company launched the iPhone X, its first $1,000 phone.

In any case, it'll be interesting to see how new iPhones are priced internationally come September. Unfortunately, Apple does not break down iPhone unit sales in earnings reports at all, let alone by market, so assessing the potential benefits from this new strategy will be hard.

https://mashable.com/article/apple-international-iphone-pricing/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link#8DMUMhYvD9qk

2 Likes

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by seunfly: 2:22pm On Jan 30, 2019
Nothing lasts forever except Aboki's perfume. now apple has woken up to smell the coffee.

113 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by thespokenword: 3:21pm On Jan 30, 2019
You are liers - you are compelled to stagger the price because your markets have been hit by China , remarkably Hauwei, and that leaves you with no choice than to drop the price. So what you are obeying is the fundamental law of pricing- the higher the price ,the better such is left for Davido to purchase. How many OBO do we have in Nigeria?

270 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by mrMeen(m): 3:30pm On Jan 30, 2019
Lol so apple Don finally open yansh.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by dominique(f): 4:06pm On Jan 30, 2019
Apple going the way of blackberry?

73 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by dryakson(m): 4:14pm On Jan 30, 2019
How I wish apple will start producing midrange phones of let's say 40k, 50k, 60k 35k etc.
They don't know that poor people are more than the rich

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by Smily202(m): 4:16pm On Jan 30, 2019
Although am Apple fan from beginning but people has come to realize that Apple Phones has nothing else to offer rather than hype.

Phone you can only move around without tweaking to suit your taste (don't tell me jailbreak cuz it will mess up the phone)

Nevertheless, I still use both Samsung Android for tweaking and IPhone for class. grin

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by GrammarNazi1(m): 4:16pm On Jan 30, 2019
dryakson:
How I wish apple will start producing midrange phones of let's say 40k, 50k, 60k 35k etc.
...Apple...

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by GrammarNazi1(m): 4:17pm On Jan 30, 2019
dominique:
Apple going the way of blackberry?
...BlackBerry...

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by GrammarNazi1(m): 4:17pm On Jan 30, 2019
thespokenword:
You are liers - you are compelled to stagger the price because your markets have been hit by China , remarkably Hauwei, and that leaves you with no choice than to drop the price. So what you are obeying is the fundamental law of pricing- the higher the price ,the better such is left for Davido to purchase. How many OBO do we have in Nigeria?
...liars...

47 Likes 3 Shares

seunfly:
[b]Nothing last [/b]forever, now apple has woken up to smell the coffee.
Nothing lasts...

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by GrammarNazi1(m): 4:28pm On Jan 30, 2019
Smily202:
Although am Apple fan from beginning but people has come to realize that Apple Phones has nothing else to offer rather than hype.

Phone you can only move around without tweaking to suit your taste (don't tell me jailbreak cuz it will mess up the phone)

Nevertheless, I still use both Samsung Android for tweaking and IPhone for class. grin
...I'm...people have...Apple phones have...

98 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by NinjaMetahuman: 4:28pm On Jan 30, 2019
Apple must crumble and die in Jesus name..
Blackberry will feed on their carcass.

They ruined smartphone market with their useless branding and pricing.

Premium phones like Samsung shouldn't normally cost as much as they are now, but everyone wants to copy apple cos its working for them.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by Generalkorex(m): 4:52pm On Jan 30, 2019
Now that Xiaomi,Huawei and other android phones are taking over

7 Likes

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by Martinez19(m): 5:02pm On Jan 30, 2019
BLACK MAN : iPhone gives me class. grin
SENSIBLE MAN : any good phone that meets my needs is okay.

154 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by seunfly: 5:05pm On Jan 30, 2019
dryakson:
When their ordinary powerbank cost 46500 naira.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by Smily202(m): 5:18pm On Jan 30, 2019
GrammarNazi1:

Thanks.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by falcon01: 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2019
GrammarNazi1:
Captain.

7 Likes

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by temple25: 6:14pm On Jan 30, 2019
so when is iphone 7 come down to 35k? may b i can buy one.

i love my andriod!!!!

1 Like

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by AdaAde(f): 6:16pm On Jan 30, 2019
Good news for people who have never touched an iPhone, and are dying for one.

Nothing spectacular about it sef.
Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by IdreamOfUnicorn(f): 6:39pm On Jan 30, 2019
I never liked iPhones anyway

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by Binikingdowm: 6:56pm On Jan 30, 2019
GrammarNazi1:

grin

Teacher, too bad you can't correct me cause I never make a mistake.

2 Likes

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by UrbanExotica(f): 7:12pm On Jan 30, 2019
IdreamOfUnicorn:
I never liked iPhones anyway
or you can't afford one

14 Likes

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by eWyse: 7:24pm On Jan 30, 2019
temple25:
so when is iphone 7 come down to 35k? may b i can buy one.

i love my andriod!!!!

I love my *Android

5 Likes

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by IdreamOfUnicorn(f): 7:24pm On Jan 30, 2019
UrbanExotica:
or you can't afford one
There are many things I could do with money right now and iphone ain't one of them.

21 Likes

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by Ecstasy9(m): 7:30pm On Jan 30, 2019
Samsung is feeling the heats already.... Naw Samsung quickly introduced mid-range phones Samsung M10, Samsung M20.
Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by ITbomb(m): 8:50pm On Jan 30, 2019
GrammarNazi1:

...BlackBerry...
Collect one

8 Likes

Re: Apple Realizes That International Iphone Prices Are A Bit Ridiculous by wittyt98(m): 9:50pm On Jan 30, 2019
ok. please let us know when they reduce the price to $100 - $200 grin

for now i'm still proudly rocking my 20k china/london used "infocus" phone grin
Bet y'all never heard of that name before grin

28 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Where To Buy Nigerian Recharge Cards Online / This Is Wicked! Paid For Airtime, Was Debited And Yet Never Got The Airtime. / Olamide's Mobile Theme For Nokia Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.