Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,446 members, 7,816,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Weight Issues - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Weight Issues (1895 Views)

Weight Issues. / What Is Wrong With Nigerians Attitude To Weight Issues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Weight Issues by oyinda3(f): 2:03am On Aug 19, 2010
is it possible for a woman to grow into middle age without gaining body fat?
how can this be achieved?

why do women especially get that upper arm fat!?

i'll give a million dollars to someone who gives me a good answer.
Re: Weight Issues by InkedNerd(f): 2:20am On Aug 19, 2010
Its just nature. Women tend to gain weight in their thighs, butt, stomach and sometimes arms. Its just how things are. Some women gain weight as they age some don't. It also depends on genetics as well. Personally, I hope I never put on excess amounts of weight as I get older. I've been just about the same size size I was in middle school and I like it that way.
Re: Weight Issues by oyinda3(f): 2:34am On Aug 19, 2010
there just reaches a point where u kinda have to start exercising to keep from getting fat n u can't rely on your youth anymore. it suckkkkssss
and i mean fat literally. i actually weigh d same as when i was in middle school too (and that was almost 10 yrs ago) but d difference is clear in terms of percentage body fat vs lean muscles.
Re: Weight Issues by Tosinville(m): 2:49am On Aug 19, 2010
@poster, u talk like u r scared cos d way ur body is gettin bigger is really gettin out of hands, i guess last month u weigh 89kilogram but dis month now u weigh 99.9kg nd its a thing u can't keep to urself anymore so u hv to let it out but to solve a problem like dis as an obese lady, pls eat once in a day nd do execise every mornin, afternoon nd night everyday.
Re: Weight Issues by InkedNerd(f): 3:03am On Aug 19, 2010
oyinda.:

there just reaches a point where u kinda have to start exercising to keep from getting fat n u can't rely on your youth anymore. it suckkkkssss
and i mean fat literally. i actually weigh d same as when i was in middle school too (and that was almost 10 yrs ago) but d difference is clear in terms of percentage body fat vs lean muscles.

Well, I've always been involved in sports since I was a little kid so I hope that counts for something. Even till this day I still play sports, mostly volleyball and tack & field. I workout 6 days a week and I eat well. The only thing I wish changed from when I was in middle school is my height. There isn't much I can do about that lol.
Re: Weight Issues by oyinda3(f): 3:23pm On Aug 19, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Well, I've always been involved in sports since I was a little kid so I hope that counts for something. Even till this day I still play sports, mostly volleyball and tack & field. I workout 6 days a week and I eat well. The only thing I wish changed from when I was in middle school is my height. There isn't much I can do about that lol.

wow. how do u work out? what's ur routine?
I hardly do much exercise. i stopped sports in high school. I need to change that. embarassed
Re: Weight Issues by Nobody: 11:28pm On Aug 19, 2010
@Poster
Avoid 2 much fats esp meat
Re: Weight Issues by InkedNerd(f): 2:32am On Aug 20, 2010
oyinda.:

wow. how do u work out? what's your routine?
I hardly do much exercise. i stopped sports in high school. I need to change that. embarassed

Well, I do yoga and I run. What I do is a combination of vinyasa yoga, hatha yoga, and bikram yoga to be exact. For the yoga it can be a 90 minute routine but I usually go over 90 minutes. I like to do it for about 2 hrs. I do yoga more than I run though. The running is usually a 2 or 3 day a week thing. For example, I may run Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I switch it up depending on my schedule. When I run, I try to run for at least two hours [if I'm really feeling motivated I go for three]. I don't drink soda, so most of the things I drink is water, tea, and juice. Sometimes I make my own juice with a juicer. What I've been doing lately is making smoothies. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I hope that helps.
Re: Weight Issues by OgidiBoy(m): 2:45am On Aug 20, 2010
Inked_Nerd sounds like a health freak, I'm totally impressed wow!! I'll have to give you my girls number so you can talk to her. Lately all my gf wants

to do is order out and drink beer and sadly it's starting to show, can't wait for school to start back up so she could go back to her normal life.
Re: Weight Issues by InkedNerd(f): 2:51am On Aug 20, 2010
OgidiBoy:

Inked_Nerd sounds like a health freak, I'm totally impressed wow!! I'll have to give you my girls number so you can talk to her. Lately all my gf wants

to do is order out and drink beer and sadly it's starting to show, can't wait for school to start back up so she could go back to her normal life.

lol, I just like to stay in shape that's all. Its drives me crazy if I miss a workout. OgidiBoy, have you tied talking to your girlfriend about her eating/drinking habits?

@oyinda: I forgot to mention that I do crunches as well. If your going to do crunches, try to count them as you do it. I suggest you start off with a small number and work your way up.
Re: Weight Issues by Nobody: 2:52am On Aug 20, 2010
OgidiBoy:

to do is order out and drink beer
and sadly it's starting to show, can't wait for school to start back up so she could go back to her normal life.

she's probably white right? and where is your own authority as a man?
Re: Weight Issues by OgidiBoy(m): 2:57am On Aug 20, 2010
OgidiBoy:

Hell yeah I try but you know you can't be too forceful, or she would get mad at me and say I'm calling her fat. angry  I bet you are one very attractive

lady with a six pack and tight behind, keep it up dear.
Re: Weight Issues by OgidiBoy(m): 3:01am On Aug 20, 2010
davidylan:

she's probably white right? and where is your own authority as a man?

Nope she is Nigerian but lived in the states all her life. Like I was telling Inked_nerd you just can't be forceful or they say you calling them fat
Re: Weight Issues by Nobody: 3:07am On Aug 20, 2010
OgidiBoy:

Hell yeah I try but you know you can't be too forceful, or she would get mad at me and say I'm calling her fat. angry  I bet you are one very attractive

who wears the pants here? Your gf?
Re: Weight Issues by OgidiBoy(m): 3:17am On Aug 20, 2010
davidylan:

who wears the pants here? Your gf?

No offense davidylan, but I used to take advise from macho dudes like you, but all it got me was a room at the heart break hotel with a bottle of

Vaseline and tissue paper to wipe my tears with. Let her wear the pants, I hate being single
Re: Weight Issues by InkedNerd(f): 3:19am On Aug 20, 2010
OgidiBoy:

I know you mean well with your girlfriend. Try to make her understand [in a very gentle manner] that you care about her very much. I don't know if you want to do this, but you can eating healthily with her. You  can try cooking a "romantic dinner" so she won't be tempted to go out and eat fast food. You cooking the dinner may make her think that its a sweet/romantic gesture when in reality its sort of your way of trying to get her to eat healthy food. You can also try to cook dinner together as a "romantic gesture" so she'll think you guys are just being cute as a couple. As for my six pack, I don't really have one but my stomach is nice, flat, and toned [just the way I like it]  wink I hope I didn't confuse you with the whole romantic gesture thing. If you need more clarification, let me know.
Re: Weight Issues by Nobody: 3:44am On Aug 20, 2010
OgidiBoy:

No offense davidylan, but I used to take advise from macho dudes like you, but all it got me was a room at the heart break hotel with a bottle of

Vaseline and tissue paper to wipe my tears with. Let her wear the pants, I hate being single

well looks like you're staring more of such heart break in the future. i dont know any serious woman who wants to be with a pansy she can twirl around her index finger. This has nothing to do with being macho, its about having a standard for how you expect your woman to carry herself if she wants to be known as urs.
Re: Weight Issues by Nobody: 3:47am On Aug 20, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

I know you mean well with your girlfriend. Try to make her understand [in a very gentle manner] that you care about her very much. I don't know if you want to do this, but you can to eating healthily with her. You  can try cooking a "romantic dinner" so she won't be tempted to go out and eat fast food. You cooking the dinner may make her think that its a sweet/romantic gesture when in reality its sort of your way of trying to get her to eat healthy food. You can also try to cook dinner together as a "romantic gesture" so she'll think you guys are just being cute as a couple. As for my six pack, I don't really have one but my stomach is nice, flat, and toned [just the way I like it]  wink I hope I didn't confuse you with the whole romantic gesture thing. If you need more clarification, let me know.

lol ogidi take this advice at your own peril. The evils of liberalism. You need to "trick" your woman into changing a lifestyle that is of benefit to her? shocked grin
Re: Weight Issues by InkedNerd(f): 4:03am On Aug 20, 2010
davidylan:

lol ogidi take this advice at your own peril. The evils of liberalism. You need to "trick" your woman into changing a lifestyle that is of benefit to her?  shocked grin

I don't see you giving any good advice. All I see is you trying to make him feel like he's less of a man because you think he doesn't "wear the pants" in his relationship. He came here for health advice, not relationship advice. If he wanted relationship advice I'm pretty sure he'd been in the romance section.
Re: Weight Issues by oyinda3(f): 5:49am On Aug 20, 2010
@inked_nerd,
that's intense. i am so lazy to even start doing all of that (90min yoga +running +crunches etc). i have school and work. no time at all for that  sad
i wanna relax with the extra time i have. but i can try some of d things u do.

i've downloaded a work out video. and i did half of it this morning b4 i went to work. unfortunately, ppl at my house ordered pizza so i came back to a house full of junk food. so my work-out has been undone.  sad

how did you start doing yoga? do u go to classes? is it possible to teach oneself? i'm interested in starting that

OgidiBoy:

plz definitely don't listen to davidylan.

u can try going to the gym and ask her if she wanna come with u.
Re: Weight Issues by Nobody: 5:55am On Aug 20, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

I don't see you giving any good advice. All I see is you trying to make him feel like he's less of a man because you think he doesn't "wear the pants" in his relationship. He came here for health advice, not relationship advice. If he wanted relationship advice I'm pretty sure he'd been in the romance section.

and i suppose you've been giving "good" advice with all the nonsense about yoga right? Dont humor me here pls. He doesnt need all that drivel you just told him to do, you dont cajole or trick your woman into learning better habits. You either dump her or she changes . . . period. A woman who would rather order out and drink beer while her excuse of a bf just sits there wringing his hands helplessly needs plenty of growing up to do. Your excuse is to go on ahead and cook her a meal?  grin you could as well ask him to fetch her water from the well too.

OgidiBoy:

such a shame. What are you? 2yrs old? The little idiots telling you not to listen to me wont touch you with a 10 ft pole when it comes to choosing a permanent mate. Ever wondered why bad boys score all the cute chics even though many of them come here praising wussies like you? Stay there letting a runt run the rule over you. Soon she'd be ordering you to go get her pizza as she balloons to 300lbs.

boohoo you hate being single, go cry to your mommies wrapper then. You need to stay single so you can grow up and learn to be a man . . . being in a relationship is a lot more than just poking your weenie into a woman's hole. Its financial, emotional and psychological responsibility. It means you are directly responsible for another person and the decisions that she takes. Oh well . . . go ahead and ask her along to the gym, afterall that's all oyinda's boyfriend has to offer her no?
Re: Weight Issues by InkedNerd(f): 6:19am On Aug 20, 2010
oyinda.:

@inked_nerd,
that's intense. i am so lazy to even start doing all of that (90min yoga +running +crunches etc). i have school and work. no time at all for that  sad
i wanna relax with the extra time i have. but i can try some of d things u do.

i've downloaded a work out video. and i did half of it this morning b4 i went to work. unfortunately, ppl at my house ordered pizza so i came back  to a house full of junk food. so my work-out has been undone.  sad

how did you start doing yoga? do u go to classes? is it possible to teach oneself? i'm interested in starting that

plz definitely don't listen to davidylan.

u can try going to the gym and ask her if she wanna come with u.

I started doing yoga when I was about 10 yrs old. I didn't really know what it was at the time, I just thought it was fun. I took classes [kind of] when I was 10. I tagged along one summer when my mom signed my little brother up for kiddie yoga. After that, I started going with him to classes. Now that I'm older, I do it on my own. Yeah, I know the routine is intense [that's why I love it]. I like activities that force me to push myself physically. You can buy some beginners yoga dvd's, I have two at home with me but I don't use them. If you're going to do it by yourself, you don't need to do a full 90 minute routine. Just do what works for you. You may want to think about taking a beginners class, then perhaps when you get more familiar with things you can do it on your own at home. Check out this website if you want to do yoga at home instead of a yoga studio>>>  http://yogisanonymous.com/live.php
You can still eat junk food and work out. Moderation is key. You don't necessarily have to deprive yourself of your favorite guilty pleasures. Although I'm a "health freak" I still eat some junk food, its just that I limit the amount of junk food that I consume, besides I like eating fruits and veggies more. Try to find a routine that fits into your schedule. Hope this helps.
Re: Weight Issues by chika98: 6:27am On Aug 20, 2010
David: Out of curiosity how do you think Ogidiboy should go about getting his gf to work out? How would you get her to cut out her bad eating habits
I am asking out of honest curiosity is all
Re: Weight Issues by Nobody: 6:37am On Aug 20, 2010
chika98:

David: Out of curiosity how do you think Ogidiboy should go about getting his gf to work out? How would you get her to cut out her bad eating habits
I am asking out of honest curiosity is all

1. Not even date her in the first place. A man shld have standards for who he dates, if you know you cant stand a woman who drinks, dont waste your time.

2. In the event you date one, simply lay down the rule - no drinking period. She either complies or you move on. I'm sure some are assuming a man shld do this cracking a whip - no, if your woman respects and LOVES you, she will try her possible best to cut out those things that make you unhappy.

3. talk about it together, rather than eat out, insist you both stay in and try out some new recipe . . . as a man, its your job to teach your woman. It ALSO implies that your life is itself a modell that she can admire and follow.
Re: Weight Issues by chika98: 6:42am On Aug 20, 2010
davidylan:

1. Not even date her in the first place. A man shld have standards for who he dates, if you know you cant stand a woman who drinks, dont waste your time.

2. In the event you date one, simply lay down the rule - no drinking period. She either complies or you move on. I'm sure some are assuming a man shld do this cracking a whip - no, if your woman respects and LOVES you, she will try her possible best to cut out those things that make you unhappy.

3. talk about it together, rather than eat out, insist you both stay in and try out some new recipe . . . as a man, its your job to teach your woman. It ALSO implies that your life is itself a modell that she can admire and follow.

Okay I hear you. From what I understood he (Ogidiboy) doesn't have a problem with her drinking . . you know being a social drinker
Just that she's been doing a bit much of it lately and all. I don hear you sha
Re: Weight Issues by oyinda3(f): 7:32am On Aug 20, 2010
@inked_nerd, i'm gonna see if i can download some yoga videos. I took a yoga class once and i really don't remember why i quit. i guess i just never felt that i got a work out from it. i didn't feel much of a difference after each session. maybe i wasn't trying hard enough.

@davidylan, you are not ogidiboy and u will never will. you two are polar opposites so obviously ur preference in females is different.
i'm sure ur gf has flaws too and is not a perfect woman. even things you deem ok with her might be considered a turn off by other men. you have suddenly become a relationship expert now since u got a gf 2 weeks ago. lol
Re: Weight Issues by Nobody: 8:03am On Aug 20, 2010
oyinda.:

@davidylan, you are not ogidiboy and u will never will. you two are polar opposites so obviously your preference in females is different.
i'm sure your gf has flaws too and is not a perfect woman. even things you deem ok with her might be considered a turn off by other men. you have suddenly become a relationship expert now since u got a gf 2 weeks ago. lol

Silly assumptions.

1. i've obviously had a gf for far more than 2 weeks, i'm sure you dont know me so dont make unverifiable statements.

2. I have given advice like this countless times even when i was single, you dont need to have a gf to know what to do when you finally end up with one.

3. I'm not ogidiboy, and you bet i am 110% happy i aint him. I'd rather be single than a wuss afraid of upsetting my gf.

4. u bet all women have flaws, how you deal with them is what separates a man from a boy.
Re: Weight Issues by InkedNerd(f): 8:17am On Aug 20, 2010
oyinda.:

@inked_nerd, i'm gonna see if i can download some yoga videos. I took a yoga class once and i really don't remember why i quit. i guess i just never felt that i got a work out from it. i didn't feel much of a difference after each session. maybe i wasn't trying hard enough.

Try different types of things so you can see what works for you. If yoga's not for you then its not for you. Its all about trial and error when it comes to things like this. By the way, what type of yoga did you used do?
Re: Weight Issues by Nobody: 10:08am On Aug 20, 2010
davidylan:

boohoo you hate being single, go cry to your mommies wrapper then. You need to stay single so you can grow up and learn to be a man . . . being in a relationship is a lot more than just poking your weenie into a woman's hole. Its financial, emotional and psychological responsibility. It means you are directly responsible for another person and the decisions that she takes. Oh well . . . go ahead and ask her along to the gym, afterall that's all oyinda's boyfriend has to offer her no?

Now there's the David I love so much! wink grin grin

oyinda.:

is it possible for a woman to grow into middle age without gaining body fat?
how can this be achieved?

why do women especially get that upper arm fat!?

i'll give a million dollars to someone who gives me a good answer.

The best way for a woman to avoid adding weight is by constant exersise and dieting!

Even people with slim frame/stature find themselves gathering excess fat as they get older if they dont watch what they eat.

Save your million dollars and hit the gym!
Re: Weight Issues by oyinda3(f): 8:08pm On Aug 20, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Try different types of things so you can see what works for you. If yoga's not for you then its not for you. Its all about trial and error when it comes to things like this. By the way, what type of yoga did you used do?

i don't really know. i just signed up for d class with my friend and went. i didn't even know up until now that there are different types of yoga undecided

ok. today i did the whole work out thing (it's been years!). then i ate a lot of beans and cereal!!! my apetite is ferocious!!!
i guess i have to keep doing it a bit to see.

what does ur diet look like inked_nerd. i bet u must eat a lot with all d exercise u do! shocked
Re: Weight Issues by InkedNerd(f): 9:52pm On Aug 20, 2010
oyinda.:

i don't really know. i just signed up for d class with my friend and went. i didn't even know up until now that there are different types of yoga undecided

ok. today i did the whole work out thing (it's been years!). then i ate a lot of beans and cereal!!! my apetite is ferocious!!!
i guess i have to keep doing it a bit to see.

what does your diet look like inked_nerd. i bet u must eat a lot with all d exercise u do! shocked

Well, I tend to eat mostly fresh fruits and vegetables. I can't really say that there's a specific regimen. I'm a vegetarian [yupp, a Nigerian who's a vegetarian lol], so the things I eat is based on things that would work for me [doesn't mean it can't work for you though]. I usually start my day off by drinking a glass or water in the morning. Your body tends to lose water while you sleep so its good to drink water when you wake up. I usually wait a few minutes before I drink water so it won't upset my stomach. I try to incorporate grains, protein, calcium, and legumes when I eat. As for me eating a lot, I do but like I said its mostly fruits and veggies. Hmmm, you said you ate a lot of cereal and beans so how much did you eat? How were the beans cooked? And what kind of cereal was it?
Re: Weight Issues by OgidiBoy(m): 11:08pm On Aug 20, 2010
Hey Inked_Nerd thanks for the advice sis, I'm really impressed with how good you take care of yourself. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression

about my girl, some folks already think she's white trash or some chic with no brains. Oh well that's Nairaland for you. My girl is in Med school

and really has no time to cook, eat or have a life. Right now we on a little break, so she's just out right trying to have a life with the going out to eat

and drinking beer. I know when school starts back up she'd be back to her boring life.

I love the idea of cooking a health romantic dinner, but sadly I'm not a very good cook. My idea of a meal is mac and cheese with fried chicken from

KFC. grin

Hey any idea of a health meal I can prepare that's simple and won't take too long to fix ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Am i suffering from typhoid or what?ur advice is needed / Top Cancer Causing Food Substances You Shouldn't Be Consuming Right Now / Impressive Uses Of Coconut Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.