Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,494 members, 7,830,495 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. (1505 Views)

Critical Reasons Never To Marry A Single Mother Ever! Stay Far Away!! / My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views / Would You Dress Your Kids Like This? See Reactions (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by GreatResearcher: 6:25pm On Feb 01, 2019
Parents stop giving your kids religious names.. I'd state reasons later.
Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by MrNipplesLover(m): 9:02pm On Feb 01, 2019
your later never reach?
abeg, come defend yourself.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by GreatResearcher: 3:51am On Feb 02, 2019
1. Everyone is born with a freedon of choice. Giving a child a name from a Bible, Quran or any other religious book, u are inderectly forcing a religion on that child.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by GreatResearcher: 3:52am On Feb 02, 2019
MrNipplesLover:
your later never reach?
abeg, come defend yourself.
updated
Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by MrNipplesLover(m): 8:14am On Feb 02, 2019
GreatResearcher:
1. Everyone is born with a freedon of choice. Giving a child a name from a Bible, Quran or any other religious book, u are inderectly forcing a religion on that child.

are u saying that a new born baby, that knows nothing, born into a religion and its parents gave an Islamic or a Muslim name, just to bear the family's religion, is being forced into a religion?

perhaps, you ignore the fact that babies have multiple names, which could include a religious name, ethnic name, free-choosen name (by parents). some even have english names.

so what is u saying?
Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by MrNipplesLover(m): 8:21am On Feb 02, 2019
BIGHEAD9, what a name grin grin

BigHead grin grin
Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by Bighead9: 8:26am On Feb 02, 2019
MrNipplesLover:
BIGHEAD9, what a name grin grin

BigHead grin grin

Yes oo, I get big head. grin

Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by GreatResearcher: 9:37am On Feb 02, 2019
MrNipplesLover:

are u saying that a new born baby, that knows nothing, born into a religion and its parents gave an Islamic or a Muslim name, just to bear the family's religion, is being forced into a religion?

perhaps, you ignore the fact that babies have multiple names, which could include a religious name, ethnic name, free-choosen name (by parents). some even have english names.

so what is u saying?
WITH THIS, U HAVE INDIRECTLY IMPOSED THE RELIGION ON THE CHILD.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by MrNipplesLover(m): 12:05pm On Feb 02, 2019
GreatResearcher:

that is not imposing.

when someone has a desire for something, or he's neutral on something, and you are "forcing" something else on him, that is imposing.

but in your own case of argument, that is not imposing.

you could as well say that any name given to a child was an act of imposing a name on the child, since the child didn't choose the name by itself.

what I don't accept from your arguments is saying one is imposing religion on his/her child by giving d child religious names. naah, u wrong.

I hail u, bro.
Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by lilmax(m): 1:28pm On Feb 02, 2019
lol..here we go again grin

and a child gave you the consent to bring him/her into the world?

who told you you have right to give a child English name without reaching an agreement with the child?

who told you a child wants to be a girl instead of a boy?

wonder where all these stupid thinking are coming from in this country these days

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by Nobody: 1:29pm On Feb 02, 2019
GreatResearcher:

You said reasons and you mentioned only one reason.

The parents have the sole right to choose religion and education for their kids.

When the child grows up and is independent, he can change his religion and his name if he so wishes.

That shouldn't be a big deal.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by MrNipplesLover(m): 2:11pm On Feb 02, 2019
that guy with moniker starting with L...

I know u just wanna play around with your comment cos u sound childish to me. that's why I, mrnippleslover, won't grace u a reply.

keep it on.

grin grin
Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by crackhaus: 6:37pm On Feb 02, 2019
GreatResearcher:
No one is born with the freedom of choice. The ability to choose comes from the awareness of alternatives.

Pray tell, what awareness does a month old baby possess?

You know what, how about you just tell people not to name kids at all?
Every name in existence has an origin and by your logic, that origin is being forced on the kids.

Hell I don't even know why I responded to this, its completely silly.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by MrNipplesLover(m): 9:18pm On Feb 02, 2019
Mr. researcher, you have only given one reason. come post your remaining reasons.
Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by JujuSugar(f): 10:32pm On Feb 02, 2019
GreatResearcher:
This doesn't exactly correlate. Simply giving a child a biblical name is not enough to impose religion upon a child. If you think its possible, then you have to go into details and demonstrate how.
Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by lalanice(f): 8:02am On Feb 06, 2019
mtchwww you might as well say giving a child a tribal name means forcing the child into a tribe s/he doesn't want to be. either way it's normal there is no freedom of choice for a child, you choose when you grow old enough.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by MrNipplesLover(m): 1:07pm On Feb 06, 2019
person above me, u get sense.
Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by mrblessed(m): 2:10pm On Feb 06, 2019
This is one area where emotions will surely trump reason since most Africans act on emotion alone, almost always inability of rational critical thinking. All products of modern civilisation -- disingenuously called globalisation -- flow of the West, and the ethos of the West are dominant culture of the human race today. What is forbidden in the west, is generally taken to be against human rights and humanity. What the west approves, is shoved down the throats of every race, without minding natural relativity disparity.

In the case of bearing western names, a practice started by colonialism and undergirded by Christianity, is one of the last vestiges of colonial rule. And what most Christians don't know is that bearing European name at baptism, does not have Biblical injunction.Take the case of Master Jesus, who was baptised and didn't take a new name. Even if we take the example of Apostle Paul, another firebrand theologist, he didn't take a name that is not related to Hebrew, his language.

It therefore begs the question: why Africans are subjected to bearing European names during baptism, under the guise that they are people distinguished by piety and godliness? There are two reasons for this practice. One, Christian missionaries that proselytised in the mid 19th and early 20th centuries had nothing but blistering contempt for African culture.Therefore, it was "barbaric" to bear African names that are associated with deities and backwardness. It also means that as an African, I am not capable of becoming a saint; hence the need to take a foreign name. Second, the missionaries did all they could to prevent the African from worshipping God in a way that appears natural to him, and somewhat unnatural to the Europeans. You can imagine that drums and other musical instruments indigenous to Africa were declared ungodly and prohibited.

The greatest fraud ever perpetrated on the face of the earth is the belief by some Africans that by bearing European (Arab) names and aping their mannerisms one automatically becomes European. One may not escape bearing these names especially when dependent on our parents, but as adults, it is in our interest to discard these names that do not truly represent our personality. I have discarded mine long time ago.
Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by Nobody: 9:52am On Feb 07, 2019
OP, where are the other 4? ??

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by SAMBARRY: 1:11pm On Feb 07, 2019
grin
Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by Biglittlelois(f): 1:18pm On Feb 07, 2019
lilmax:
lol..here we go again grin

and a child gave you the consent to bring him/her into the world?

who told you you have right to give a child English name without reaching an agreement with the child?

who told you a child wants to be a girl instead of a boy?

wonder where all these stupid thinking are coming from in this country these days

Seriously ooo
Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by Nobody: 3:45pm On Feb 07, 2019
GreatResearcher:
Parents stop giving your kids religious names.. I'd state reasons later.

Giving your child tribal names is also imposing your culture and its associated un-founded biases and religion on the kids. Why not leave them nameless since you have are obviously morbidly attached to free will you forget there is no vacuum in nature
Re: 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. by GreatResearcher: 6:31pm On Feb 07, 2019
Dov3:

Giving your child tribal names is also imposing your culture and its associated un-founded biases and religion on the kids. Why not leave them nameless since you have are obviously morbidly attached to free will you forget there is no vacuum in nature

where in my post did I say u should give them tribal names instead?

(1) (Reply)

To Protect Your Ego, Perform Your Duties: Husbands, Put Your House In Order / Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? / I Love Her, But How Do I Break Up With Her, I Need To Face My Future

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.