Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,087 members, 7,811,046 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

Stop! Before You Take That Lecturing Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Stop! Before You Take That Lecturing Job (940 Views)

Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic / Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? / How To Get Your Dream Lecturing Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop! Before You Take That Lecturing Job by Talosub: 7:19pm On Feb 02, 2019
I grew up in an academic environment. My father lectured in a Federal University, and my family got an opportunity to stay in the school staff quarters. I was happy when my father came to our off-campus apartment to make the announcement – we are moving to the school. I had always wanted to live on campus, mingle with professors’ children and inhale the “academic air” on campus. I always thought lecturing was easy and interesting, and this pushed my desire of wanting to be a University lecturer. Yes, yes, I am now a lecturer, and I enjoy what I do (maybe not).

There is no gainsaying that academic institutions are gradually becoming one of the largest employers of labour in Nigeria, more so with the increasing number of tertiary institutions scattered around the country. At present Nigeria has about 167 universities, 113 polytechnics and 82 colleges of education, which are either state-owned or privately funded. Democratic governments since 1999 have created numerous state-owned institutions around the country and granted private entities licences to run schools.

One of the many reasons why governments give for setting up institutions is to create jobs for unemployed youths, who are in desperate need of any job opportunity. The youths are willing to take up any position even if they lack interest in such positions. They lobby their way into academic seats just because their fathers were classmates with the “new vice chancellor” and hereby, are thrown the task of building the future of the next generation.

My call is for you to consider the following before accepting that lecturing position (maybe after considering the fear of staying too long in the job market).

Am I going to stay in this job even if I get a job offer at the World Bank?
Most often, the answer to this question is obvious. Only a crazy fellow will refuse a job at the World Bank. The education system is not well remunerated. Lecturers lack the necessary motivation to work effectively and stay in their job. Contrary to popular belief, professors are not multi-millionaires, and this is even true in the developed world. Lecturers are just some highly self-motivated group of peoples whose main interest is to impact the society. The youth of nowadays are not that patient – everyone wants a house of their own, ride the latest car and send their kids to the best schools. Yes, these are pretty good aspirations, but contentment is a key attribute of lecturers.

Can I spend long hours studying independently?
Lecturing is not easy, and it is not for lazy people. To get to the peak of your career, you need a PhD, you need to publish in good journals, you need to teach and supervise students, and you also need to cater to different administrative responsibilities. Yes, all of these. People always run to lecturing, because of its flexibility. Someone once said you could work as a lecturer and run your own side business. Yes, you can achieve this, and of course you need multiple sources of income to survive in Nigeria. However, the tasks and responsibility of being a lecturer is often overwhelming, and the recent crop of lecturers are not cut out to take up these responsibilities – a major reason for the failing education system. A student once told me of how a young lecturer came to class unprepared for the lecture, asked the students for the next topic from the syllabus, punched the topic into google and started dictating to the students. No! this is wrong, dedication is at the heart of this profession.

Am I emotionally intelligent?
Lecturers are mentors and advisors - meeting with young adults almost every day. A lecturer should be able to manage the future generation. You are in charge of moulding and shaping the lives of these students. You should have foresight, hindsight; you should be the “Wizard of Oz”.
Today's youths are emotionally weak; they lack the strength to withstand stressful situations. Academic stress can throw anyone off-balance and failure can push even the strongest off the cliff. A lecturer should be able to motivate and inspire students. You should be able to combine your issues with your students’ emotions. You should utter good words when communicating with these fragile humans you call students. I have heard of cases where lecturers, out of frustration, curse out to students. This should have never been an issue.

Before you take up the job, review each of these points, reassess your teaching qualities and qualifications and ask yourself, am I worthy of this position? If your answer is yes – then go ahead. If you are sceptical, please save the country by seeking for another position – may be as a non-academic staff.

1 Like

Re: Stop! Before You Take That Lecturing Job by Redoil: 7:24pm On Feb 02, 2019
This nigeria take the job first b4 you think of what to do

2 Likes

Re: Stop! Before You Take That Lecturing Job by FreshBoss007: 7:25pm On Feb 02, 2019
Talosub:
I grew up in an academic environment. My farther lectured in a Federal University and my family got an opportunity to stay in the school staff quarters.
op

immediately I read your first line I lost interest in the story

correct spelling is key

1 Like

Re: Stop! Before You Take That Lecturing Job by STARGREEN(m): 7:46pm On Feb 02, 2019
You worth calling a lecturer. This career if you remove empathy it's fatal.
Re: Stop! Before You Take That Lecturing Job by SKhanmi: 7:52pm On Feb 02, 2019
Lecturer's are similar to prophets. If You are not called,you're a fake. Case closed. You can easily identify them. Lack lustre set of frustrated people destroying future generations. I knew many of them right from sec to university. They were only there for the money.

1 Like

Re: Stop! Before You Take That Lecturing Job by Nobody: 8:07pm On Feb 02, 2019
FreshBoss007:
op

immediately I read your first line I lost interest in the story

correct spelling is key

Oh plzzz that must have been a typo.

Re: Stop! Before You Take That Lecturing Job by Nobody: 8:10pm On Feb 02, 2019
Op nice write up. Thanks for schooling some pple. Lecturing job isn't for lazy people...you have to work hard, publish journals, write books, attend seminars both local and international...you even need funds, grants to be able to accomplish some of these things.

Talosub:
I grew up in an academic environment. My father lectured in a Federal University and my family got an opportunity to stay in the school staff quarters. I was happy when my father came to our off-campus apartment to make the announcement – we are moving to the school. I had always wanted to live on campus, mingle with professors’ children and inhale the “academic air” on campus. I always thought lecturing was easy and interesting, and this pushed my desire of wanting to be a University lecturer. Yes, yes, I am now a lecturer and I enjoy what I do (maybe not).
There is no gainsaying that academic institutions are gradually becoming one of the largest employers of labour in Nigeria, more so with the increasing number of tertiary institutions scattered around the country. At present Nigeria has about 167 universities, 113 polytechnics and 82 colleges of education, which are either state-owned or privately funded. Democratic governments since 1999 have created numerous state-owned institutions around the country and granted private entities licences to run schools.
One of the many reasons why governments give for setting up institutions is to create jobs for unemployed youths, who are in desperate need of any job opportunity. The youths are willing to take up any position even if they lack interest in such positions. They lobby their way into academic seats just because their fathers were classmates with the “new vice chancellor” and hereby, are thrown the task of building the future of the next generation.
My call is for you to consider the following before accepting that lecturing position (maybe after considering the fear of staying too long in the job market).
Am I going to stay in this job even if I get a job offer at the World Bank?
Most often, the answer to this question is obvious. Only a crazy fellow will refuse a job at the World Bank. The education system is not well remunerated. Lecturers lack the necessary motivation to work effectively and stay in their job. Contrary to popular belief, professors are not multi-millionaires, and this is even true in the developed world. Lecturers are just some highly self-motivated group of peoples whose main interest is to impact the society. The youth of nowadays are not that patient – everyone wants a house of their own, ride the latest car and send their kids to the best schools. Yes, these are pretty good aspirations, but contentment is a key attribute of lecturers.

Can I spend long hours studying independently?
Lecturing is not easy, and it is not for lazy people. To get to the peak of your career, you need a PhD, you need to publish in good journals, you need to teach and supervise students, and you also need to cater to different administrative responsibilities. Yes, all of these. People always run to lecturing, because of its flexibility. Someone once said you could work as a lecturer and run your own side business. Yes, you can achieve this, and of course you need multiple sources of income to survive in Nigeria. However, the tasks and responsibly of being a lecturer is often overwhelming, and the recent crop of lecturers are not cut out to take up these responsibilities – a major reason for the failing education system. A student once told me of how a young lecturer came to class unprepared for the lecture, asked the students for the next topic from the syllabus, punched the topic into google and started dictating to the students. No! this is wrong, dedication is at the heart of this profession.

Am I emotionally intelligent?
Lecturers are mentors and advisors - meeting with young adults almost every day. A lecturer should be able to manage the future generation. You are in charge of moulding and shaping the lives of these students. You should have foresight, hindsight; you should be the “Wizard of Oz”.

Today's youths are emotionally weak; they lack the strength to withstand stressful situations. Academic stress can throw anyone off-balance and failure can push even the strongest off the cliff. A lecturer should be able to motivate and inspire students. You should be able to combine your issues with your students’ emotions. You should alter good words when communicating with these fragile humans you call students. I have heard of cases where lecturers, out of frustration, curse out to students. This should have never been an issue.

Before you take up the job, review each of these points, reassess your teaching qualities and qualifications and ask yourself, am I worthy of this position? If your answer is yes – then go ahead. If you are sceptical, please save the country by seeking for another position – may be as a non-academic staff.
Re: Stop! Before You Take That Lecturing Job by Brunel(m): 10:37am On Feb 03, 2019
hotwater1:

Op nice write up. Thanks for schooling some pple. Lecturing job isn't for lazy people...you have to work hard, publish journals, write books, attend seminars both local and international...you even need funds, grants to be able to accomplish some of these things.

You're absolutely correct about this!
I learnt from the original post.
Kudos to you, Talosub

1 Like

Re: Stop! Before You Take That Lecturing Job by Hahjascho(m): 9:30pm On Feb 03, 2019
good!
Re: Stop! Before You Take That Lecturing Job by olawalepopoola: 9:49pm On Feb 03, 2019
You are right. Passion is the key to successful academic career. Also marry a person who understands the nature of your work.
Re: Stop! Before You Take That Lecturing Job by Talosub: 1:59am On Feb 08, 2019
Thanks, everyone

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Need Materials On Pmb(project Management Buisness / Oracle Or Ccna, As An Accountant / Are You Interested In Media And Entertainment Career?, Then Check This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.