Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,296 members, 7,815,516 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos (39949 Views)

Drone View Of Major Roads In Edo State - Photos / 5 Places In Nigeria You Should Visit In 2019 / List Of Major Markets In Onitsha Metropolis And The Peculiar Items Sold (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by baruzeez(m): 6:23am On Feb 28, 2019
ednut1:
8 AND 10 are lies
10 s not a lie e. Check wikipedia and update your library
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by Niceman4u(m): 6:37am On Feb 28, 2019
chuka5000:
I actually joined nl for interesting posts like this one, but the way tribal bigots took over everything here shocked me deeply.

"explorers" comes to mind

Tribal bigots ve fully taken over Nairaland.
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by Damibiz(m): 6:37am On Feb 28, 2019
A dey oh
tollyboy5:
bro hawfar grin
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by glambo(m): 7:18am On Feb 28, 2019
MacLovington:

I heard it is was previously the junction leading to Ipaja. I stand to be corrected.

Yep, back in the days, ipaja is the land is the of awori settlers, so to connect them from the Lagos Abeokuta old road, that junction is where you turn off to connect the awori settler in ipaja land.
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by MacLovington(m): 7:57am On Feb 28, 2019
[quote author=Mouthgag post=76199858]
This is the most ignorant and stupid post ever![/qpuote]

Killjoy. You are taking the fun out of this thread dude.

We know say you sabi fan. But nobody will smile at your reply.

We have heard various versions of how these names came about before. Unless you are not a Nairaland regular. cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by dominique(f): 8:03am On Feb 28, 2019
0balufonlll:

False!

Ikeja as we now know was & is still an Awori village. The area derived its nake from an Awori deity known as Ikeja. You flunked this one, do more research next time.

A little googling doesn't hurt you know?

Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by ednut1(m): 8:05am On Feb 28, 2019
Spymaster2019:
they r not
8 is a sure lie. Epe was under ijebu rule
Ikorodu was not even in eko.
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by oboy81: 8:44am On Feb 28, 2019
Niceman4u:

Tribal bigots ve fully taken over Nairaland.
The Same Tribal bigots are the One Educating You
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by oboy81: 8:49am On Feb 28, 2019
dominique:

Lol a Whole Madam and Mod like you grin
See as You Gock yourself grin
He is Actually Correct, you of all people should know That It's on the Internet Does Not Mean It's Correct, anybody could Have Posted or edited it
Have a Good Day I no Yab you Oh grin

3 Likes

Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by henrijin: 8:55am On Feb 28, 2019
What of "Olokonla" at ajah?
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by tecnolad(m): 9:12am On Feb 28, 2019
I guess we all know who owns Lagos now
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by RedboneSmith(m): 9:44am On Feb 28, 2019
1Sharon:

Are you sure? As the first settlers, I'm sure you can do more than that

You asked for names of Edo origin. I supplied a couple. You now switch to 'you can do more than that'. Me I am not here for goalpost-shifting arguments.

By the way, anyone who says Edo people were the first settlers in Lagos lies; and I don't think that has been the position of sensible Edo people. Aworis were there first. But Edo people came later and their footprints are still in Lagos, the Idumu-names being an instance.

1 Like

Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by Opiletool(m): 9:47am On Feb 28, 2019
henrijin:
What of "Olokonla" at ajah?

That should mean 'the owner of a big farm'
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by Dartilo(m): 9:59am On Feb 28, 2019
You're really funny egba warriors chasing benin army,dats joke of the century
Drealthing:
True there were Benin warriors who used to come and camp at the farm land. However the people of Lagos at that time sort the help of their kindred, an Egba Hunter who mobilized from the nearby yoruba lands to chase the Edo warriors away. The Edo name for farm, Eko which is a variant of Oko for the place still prevailed however.

Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by 0balufonlll: 10:10am On Feb 28, 2019
x
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by BabaRamota1980: 10:23am On Feb 28, 2019
0balufonlll:

False!

Ikeja as we now know was & is still an Awori village. The area derived its nake from an Awori deity known as Ikeja. You flunked this one, do more research next time.

Same with Ojuelegba.
Elegba is a deity of Aworis. There is still a shrine and cove for Elegba from where Ojuelegba derived its name.

The Idejo Class Obas in Lagos still worship Elegba till today.

1 Like

Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by 0balufonlll: 10:50am On Feb 28, 2019
x
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by femi4: 4:46pm On Feb 28, 2019
dominique:

That you find it using google search does not make it right. This is misinformation
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by femi4: 4:47pm On Feb 28, 2019
0balufonlll:

False!

God bless you....and to think such misinformation is on wiki
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by 0balufonlll: 5:05pm On Feb 28, 2019
x
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by NeuroBoss(m): 5:50pm On Feb 28, 2019
MacLovington:

Legend has it that Hausa traders have been there for ages. It supposedly came from that or something similar.

That's wrong. Alausa means "walnut seller". Alausa does not have any Haus-related history. You can see indigenous media houses trying to correct the mis-pronunciation
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by TAO11(f): 8:42pm On Feb 28, 2019
Oroolorun:
[/color]
Ikorodu came from Ikoro-dudu which the Ijebu found on the land. History had it that they were told to settled anywhere they found Ikoro-dudu (A black type of a fruit).

Oh Please! "Ikorodu" is NOT from any nonsense "Ikoro-dudu black fruit" oo.

The area was known by its early settlers to be a natural habitat for a particular species of wild vegetable well-known among Yorubas as "Òdú" (i.e. "Efo-Odu" ).

Hence, the area was referred to, by farmers, hunters, travellers, etc. as "Oko-Òdú" (i.e. "Odu Farm" or "Odu Bush" ) which is pronounced "Okorodu" in the Ijebu dialect as the early settlers in the area are largely Ijebu-Yoruba migrants from "Ishagamu" (a Remo-Ijebu-Yoruba subgroup).

2 Likes

Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by Oroolorun(m): 9:40pm On Feb 28, 2019
[/color]
TAO11:

Oh Please! "Ikorodu" is NOT from any nonsense "Ikoro-dudu black fruit" oo.

the early settlers in the area are largely Ijebu-Yoruba migrants from "Ishagamu" (a Remo-Ijebu-Yoruba subgroup).
Oga, we are in a modern world where anyone can approach king's palace, chiefs houses and university don's office to ask and investigate anything that having to do with researches when someone put mind to it. Every villages, kingdoms or communities normally had two to three types of their origin. 1, the it suppose to be so story. 2, the heard it's so story and 3, the real story. They are many things I can't say here because I had learnt my lesson. Sir, I'm not disputing your story. What I'm saying is that before calling something nonsense, why don't you do some research work..... I think the door of the King of Ikorodu is wide open for everyone on a research. Sir, I know nothing. I'm always ready to learn.

1 Like

Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by Mizwisdom(f): 9:51pm On Feb 28, 2019
Oro oshi lele yi
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by TAO11(f): 10:03pm On Feb 28, 2019
Oroolorun:
[/color]
Oga, we are in a modern world where anyone can approach king's palace, chiefs houses and university don's office to ask and investigate anything that having to do with researches when someone put mind to it. Every villages, kingdoms or communities normally had two to three types of their origin. 1, the it suppose to be so story. 2, the heard it's so story and 3, the real story. They are many things I can't say here because I had learnt my lesson. Sir, I'm not disputing your story. What I'm saying is that before calling something nonsense, why don't you do some research work..... I think the door of the King of Ikorodu is wide open for everyone on a research. Sir, I know nothing. I'm always ready to learn.

I am royalty myself from the town of Ikorodu. I am Omo Orisen (if u know what that means), and I don't have to go consult a Professor. It's actually the other way round, Professors consult the primary sources instead to obtain information about their words, their names, etc.

The etymology of "Ikorodu" is what I had known from childhood from the original sources whom the "Professors" themselves would consult for the information, and it is, in fact, common knowledge in Ikorodu. Every legitimate Ikorodu son or daughter born and raised in the core of Ikorodu knows this as the etymology of the word "Ikorodu".

There is no such etymology as "Ikoro-dudu fruit".

I am shocked you want to debate it. By the way, what does the word "Ikoro" (in your so-called "Ikor-dudu" fruit) mean? What language is that? What fruit is that? Bro, let's be careful with misinformation.

You can refer to the Ikorodu's official website if you really want to read approved information firsthand from the custodians themselves. What they say about themselves.

I used the word "nonsense" because I find it shocking that my history is been distorted. I apologize if you find it disrespectful, but to be frank with you, that came across as a disservice to an Ikorodu indigene like me, and I had to quickly put the record straight.

Please endeavour to get your facts right next time before you misinform others on a public platform like this.

modified

http://www.ikoroduoga.net/index.php/history

2 Likes

Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by DaCharis2016: 8:12pm On Mar 01, 2019
Interesting! I love this...I feel connected to Lagos more now.
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by Nobody: 12:16am On Mar 02, 2019
TAO11:

I am royalty myself from the town of Ikorodu. I am Omo Orisen (if u know what that means), and I don't have to go consult a Professor. It's actually the other way round, Professors consult the primary sources instead to obtain information about their words, their names, etc.

The etymology of "Ikorodu" is what I had known from childhood from the original sources whom the "Professors" themselves would consult for the information, and it is, in fact, common knowledge in Ikorodu. Every legitimate Ikorodu son or daughter born and raised in the core of Ikorodu knows this as the etymology of the word "Ikorodu".

There is no such etymology as "Ikoro-dudu fruit".

I am shocked you want to debate it. By the way, what does the word "Ikoro" (in your so-called "Ikor-dudu" fruit) mean? What language is that? What fruit is that? Bro, let's be careful with misinformation.

You can refer to the Ikorodu's official website if you really want to read approved information firsthand from the custodians themselves. What they say about themselves.

I used the word "nonsense" because I find it shocking that my history is been distorted. I apologize if you find it disrespectful, but to be frank with you, that came across as a disservice to an Ikorodu indigene like me, and I had to quickly put the record straight.

Please endeavour to get your facts right next time before you misinform others on a public platform like this.

modified

http://www.ikoroduoga.net/index.php/history

hello

fellow Ikorodu indigene

Nice to meet you grin

1 Like

Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by TAO11(f): 12:23am On Mar 02, 2019
OladimejiRufai:

hello

fellow Ikorodu indigene

Nice to meet you grin

Wàá gbe yè!

Omo Eluku Meden Imale Afele ja!

It's nice meeting you too.

Did you also read that crap that someone had written about the etymology of "Ikorodu"?
Re: The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos by Nobody: 4:46am On Mar 02, 2019
TAO11:

Wàá gbe yè!

Omo Eluku Meden Imale Afele ja!

It's nice meeting you too.

Did you also read that crap that someone had written about the etymology of "Ikorodu"?

Seriously, u took me to the moon and brought me back grin

I mean I am befuddled... I cannot comprehend those apparently indigenous words there

i am sorry if it portrays me to have fallen short of your expectations.. but seriously, what the fvck is Omo Eluku Meden.. grin Can u expound it to me?

And about the crap.. Yes, it was crap. I just confirmed it, thanks to the link you shared..

Didn't know all of that before... Thank you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ethiopian Airline Crash: Pilot Was Untrained On 737 MAX Simulator – Colleague / Police Officers, Passengers Involved In Motor Accident In Lagos (Photos) / My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.