Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

How To Create The Best Monologues For Nollywood - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / How To Create The Best Monologues For Nollywood (3435 Views)

Download Script For Nollywood Movie ''The Arbitration'' Shared By Chinaza Onuzo / Script-writing For Nollywood: For All Upcoming Nollywood Movie Script-writers / Irokotv Is Now Offering Data-free Downloads For Nollywood Movies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Create The Best Monologues For Nollywood by VcStunner(m): 5:31pm On Feb 06, 2019
It is no longer news that the Nollywood industry and the general entertainment industry have all subscribed to the use of monologue for auditioning for best talents.

However, many amateurs are still yet to wrap their heads around this concept. While some see it as an opportunity to be flexible and show forth their own creation, others feel threatened by it. This article is therefore aimed at helping you create the best monologue for auditions especially in the movie industry. Before we jump in, I like you to pay attention to these critical points while creating your movie monologue
i. You are the only actor/actress in a monologue. The camera (if any) is your imaginary partner/audience.
ii. Do not confuse the audience.
iii. It should be clear and easy to understand
iv. Don't rush it, but don't pause for too long.
v. Finally, aim for something new.

Okay, so now that we have some insights, lets head straight to the point. Remember, Nollywood is unique and different from what is obtainable in other movie industries worldwide. So follow these steps and you won't have to wait for too long to get callbacks.
STEP ONE:
First and foremost think up a character in your head, say for example a boss in a structured office environment, a young teenager who wants to play football, a grown-up lady who has to battle rejections because of her bad leg etc etc.. just think of anything! But while at it, remember to consider your age in relative to the character you are playing.
STEP TWO:
Create a character profile. From your characters name to their biography, age, facial expression, general demeanor, dressing style, style of speech, career, likes and dislikes..etc etc. Note them down on your jotter. This will give you the jump off into your characters past, present and future. Be smart and articulate about it.
E.g: Stan is in his early 30s, a young hungry professional. he has a great dress sense, neat, well groomed, he's about my height and build, calm but a no-nonsense person. Something like that.
STEP THREE:
Use the above clues to write a short story about your character, the kind of story with a clear introduction, transitions, conflicts, and resolutions. Achieve this under 30 seconds to 1 minute and you will have an awesome monologue.
E.g: here is a conversation between Stan and anybody
Stan:
You walked into my office, picked up a contract document, without confirming all necessary requirements you signed the papers?
contd...
what exactly is going on here?! this is a total breach of SOP, outright insubordination, it is disrespectful and I don't condone it.
(calmly)... You're fired. Get the hell out of my office.
How does this sound? Of course, it's a great scene to use. Good storyline, expressive, action-packed and simple.
Remember to be creative, leave that break-up and cry monologues. Chances are 50 people had done it before your turn, the judges might get irritated. Try something new always. Like I always say, don't use a "serious" monologue in a comedy audition. Tailor your monologues to suit the occasion, you will have higher chances of connecting with the judges.

Follow these simple steps and thank me later!
Drop comments and questions if you have any, i will be glad to help.
Source:
https://vhfilm..com/2019/02/how-to-create-good-monologue.html

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More / ALANI PAMOLEKUN 3 | Latest 2015 Yoruba Movie (premium) Starring Adekola Odunlade / Nigerian Name Used In Fast & Furious 7! Labeled Terrorist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.