Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,273 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? (4460 Views)

Nairalander On Karaoke Night Singing Lionel Richie Stuck On U In Indiana Usa / Lionel Richie Murders Them In Paris Concert / Nigerian Remix Of Lionel Richie's 'hello' (funny) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by Nobody: 10:52am On Aug 21, 2010
I used to be more into Lionel until a friend introduced me Luther. She asked me to have a listen to "power of love" and ever since I have been an ardent fan of Luther. But people usually say Lionel is better. To me, Lionel don't come close. Luther was for sure one of his kind. His silky, breathtakingly beautiful, warm, catchy tenor was phenomenal. No one sounds like he did. Please I need your opinions. Thank you. Meanwhile, Luther's fans, which is your favourite Luther's piece? For me, I absolutely love all of his songs, but to me, I think Can Heaven Wait is the most beautiful piece he ever crafted.
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by KennyG6(m): 10:54am On Aug 21, 2010
Luther has a better voice, but Lionel is a more all-rounder i.e. his piano skills etc

1 Like

Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by nellaluv(f): 1:52pm On Aug 21, 2010
Oh no you didn't shocked shocked .

You don't compare these guys, they're both good in their own unique way.

Hi kenny .
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Aug 21, 2010
nellaluv:

Oh no you didn't shocked shocked .

You don't compare these guys, they're both good in their own unique way.

Hi kenny .
Why not nellaluv ? Considering the fact that they both do the same genre of music and are contemporaries ?
I only specified on vocal skills and not other factors like production skills, popularity e.t.c. There has got to be a huge difference between both of them. You could take timbre, vocal range, vocal strenght, vocal co-ordination, vocal manipulation abilities e.t.c into cognizance. Thank you.
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by tjskii(f): 9:04pm On Aug 21, 2010
why that's a no brainer,tis definitely lionel richie
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by KennyG6(m): 11:00pm On Aug 21, 2010
nellaluv:

Hi kenny .
hy nell, how u dey?
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by Outstrip(f): 1:45am On Aug 22, 2010
Is this a question. Lionel should not even sing anywhere he hears Luther's voice

1 Like

Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by nellaluv(f): 7:11am On Aug 22, 2010
Kenny_G:

hy nell, how u dey?

I dey fine. I've not seen you online a long time, thank God i saw u here by chance.

ttyl.
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by KennyG6(m): 5:34pm On Aug 22, 2010
nellaluv:

I dey fine. I've not seen you online a long time, thank God i saw u here by chance.

ttyl.
i knw no vex jare, ping me a YIM when next u r online
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by nellaluv(f): 9:15pm On Aug 22, 2010
Kenny_G:

ok smiley
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by nellaluv(f): 9:16pm On Aug 22, 2010
Kenny_G:

ok smiley
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Aug 22, 2010
Outstrip:

Is this a question. Lionel should not even sing anywhere he hears Luther's voice
Hi outstrip, thanks for your opinion.
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by MissyB1(m): 10:05pm On Aug 22, 2010
Lionel Richie!
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Aug 22, 2010
tjskii:

why that's a no brainer,tis definitely lionel richie
Hi tjskii, thanks for your opinion. But can you give a reason why you feel Lionel is better ? By the way, is that you in the picture ? If that is you, you are one heck of a pretty lady! you gat such a remarkably beautiful smile.
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Aug 22, 2010
Missy B:

Lionel Richie!
Can you kindly give a reason why you feel Lionel is better? Thank you.
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by MissyB1(m): 10:33pm On Aug 22, 2010
cryptic:

Can you kindly give a reason why you feel Lionel is better? Thank you.
I think he's a better Vocalist because he actually is.
Whatever the yardstick is, Lionel gets a pass mark. He does it, for me . . .Luther doesn't.

To answer the last question in Your first comment - Killing me softly and So amazing. kiss
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by omar22(m): 9:53am On Aug 23, 2010
Luther all day long, Ritchie was a hit in the 80's

Luther was a hit in the 80's, 90's and 00's they are both good but its like comparing WHITNEY Houston to Madonna,
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by ladygaga(f): 10:02am On Aug 23, 2010
Mehn, I just can't compare d both of them,am a great fan of both and they are so so good and incomparable
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by Nobody: 11:54am On Aug 24, 2010
Missy B:

I think he's a better Vocalist because he actually is.
Whatever the yardstick is, Lionel gets a pass mark. He does it, for me . . .Luther doesn't.

To answer the last question in Your first comment - Killing me softly and So amazing. kiss
Nice. But if I am actually gonna choose I'd choose Luther because his voice was unique and his singing skills was unparalleled. Have you listened to most of Luther's songs ? Did you see his performance of a house is not a home ? Dione Warwick had no choice but to shed tears. She did that song originally. In that video you needed to see the crowd screaming before he started singing.  Have you had a listen to "Anyone Who Had A Heart" ? His rendition of that song was phenomenal. No one ever did, and could ever do that song the way he did it. His voice had strength, uniquness. His tone colour, tone quality was unprecedented. Personally, I think Luther was one of the greatest male vocalists. Take your time to listen to his songs and you will indeed find out that he was one of his kind.

watch this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2-PW2l4b2A

1 Like

Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by googles: 12:01pm On Aug 24, 2010
Luther Vandross
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by kingsikem: 6:21pm On Oct 31, 2011
Luther Vandross is way better than lionel richie in terms of vocal skills- he remains an idol to be worshipped and adored by many A list musicians.
He is an excellent song composer,
He produced more hits,
man is classy, and only those who appreciate real music identified with him, The world knew he was one of a kind.
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Oct 31, 2011
Luther Vandross all day.
That guy's music is responsible for a considerable percentage of the world's population.
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by ElmA1(f): 11:05pm On Oct 31, 2011
Luther Vandross. Because he is a great vocalist and theres something about his voice that cant b compared to any other.Luther Vandross all the way.
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by corrs: 7:54pm On Nov 01, 2011
great fan of lionel but defintely luther he's voice is just in a league of it's own.
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by uzoo: 12:13pm On Nov 02, 2011
wow,thats a tough one. . .considering the fact that they both are into the same genre of music.

but i think if you turn of all instruments and musical gadgets (no microphones ) nothing and listen to both voices sing,you definitely pick Luther as the best.

so i'll say Luther Vandross is the best vocalist compared to Lionel Richie. . but i'm still loving my Lionel Richie songs lol tongue
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by Nobody: 1:18am On Sep 10, 2013
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by Nobody: 8:39am On Aug 09, 2016
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Feb 19, 2018
I think I would choose Lionel Richie if I really had to pick one. Luther was a better vocalist, (by a huge mile) with much better technique, but I think Lionel had better songs. This reflects by how Lionel did better on the charts. Don't get me wrong, Luther had a lot of soul, but it seems like sometimes he was always 'oversinging'.

I still love them both though tongue

**reread the topic lol. My answer is Luther Vandross. Still prefer Lionel Richie though. And to the second part of your song, my favorite Luther song is 'A House is Not a Home' and that embedded video up there is my favorite live performance of that song.
Re: Between Luther Vandross And Lionel Richie Who Has Been A Better Vocalist ? by dizon: 8:00am On Feb 24, 2018
Phil collins

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Promoter (Rap Artiste) / M.i Songs On Youtube (not From His Album) Too Hot / Download Hot:- Dj OP Dot – Best Of Zlatan Vs Danny S (zanku & Shaku Shaku)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.