Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,457 members, 7,812,404 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs (5254 Views)

Burna Boy's Reaction On Seeing Eniola Badmus New Body For The 1st Time (video) / "Economy Way" - Davido Screams As He Flies In Economy Class For The 1st Time / Regina Daniels And Ned Nwoko Spotted Together In Public For The 1st Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by Gisters: 11:47am On Feb 13, 2019
Biologists have captured a rare footage of a big Black Leopard also known as 'Black Panther' walking majestically in Kenya, making it the first time the animal has been photographed in Africa since 1909.

Nick Pilfold, a San Diego Zoo global scientist, said they captured the footage after months of watching and waiting. His team of biologists had placed remote wildlife cameras to track the leopard population near Loisaba Conservancy in Laikipia County last year when they heard unconfirmed reports of a possible black leopard sighting.

"We intensified our camera placement in the area the reports were being made. Within a few months, we were rewarded with multiple observations on our cameras" he said on Tuesday night.

The female leopard's coat color is pitch black as a result of melanism, a gene mutation that results in an over-production of pigment, Pilfold said. It's the opposite of albinism and although the leopard's coat appears black during the day, its rosette patterns are visible in nighttime infrared imagery.

While there have been reports of sightings of black leopards the last confirmed observation was in Ethiopia more than a century ago, he said. Pilfold is part of a team from the San Diego Zoo working with local partners, including the Kenya Wildlife Service, to monitor leopard populations in the area and help preserve the species.

See more photos here; http://gistmore.com/rare-black-leopard-black-panther-spotted-in-africa-for-the-1st-time-in-100-years

2 Likes

Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by Gisters: 11:48am On Feb 13, 2019

2 Likes

Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by Tamarapetty(f): 11:49am On Feb 13, 2019
Something that i have as a pet? Mtchww

5 Likes

Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by Slynation(m): 11:52am On Feb 13, 2019
Hmmmm..... They will soon gun this one down, unless the government of the country decides to do the needful

3 Likes

Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by OneCorner: 12:09pm On Feb 13, 2019
Tamarapetty:
Are u serious?!!!
Me too I have one oo.
Lerruz meet so we can mate dem together while we watch cool

1 Like

Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by OjoMadiba: 12:13pm On Feb 13, 2019
if this one catch you eh, deadly
Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by Tamarapetty(f): 12:13pm On Feb 13, 2019
OneCorner:

Are u serious?!!!
Me too I have one oo.
Lol, i never said GOAT

2 Likes

Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by nonye6194: 12:33pm On Feb 13, 2019
Tamarapetty:
Lol, i never said GOAT

Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by Soulsymbol99: 12:53pm On Feb 13, 2019
Heading to wakanda grin

2 Likes

Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by Pearlyakin(m): 1:34pm On Feb 13, 2019
That's the vibranium i guess Anyways wakanda forever.

1 Like

Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by GOFRONT(m): 1:38pm On Feb 13, 2019
Where is NwaAmaikpe??

Where has he gone to??

1 Like

Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by Nobody: 1:54pm On Feb 13, 2019
grin beautiful leopard wink I would love to own one of these beautiful animals

We now have a verified Google Adsense that has received payment

1 Like

Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by ChidoskiBOZ(m): 2:23pm On Feb 13, 2019
OneCorner:

Are u serious?!!!
Me too I have one oo.
I pray u watch ooooo...LMAO...
Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by jeff1607(m): 2:44pm On Feb 13, 2019
this cat can hide for Africa
Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by 46O1CE: 2:55pm On Feb 13, 2019
Wakanda forever
Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by ValCon888: 3:34pm On Feb 13, 2019
That is the real black panther. Any other panther is a counterfeit produced in Hollywood.
Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by IdreamOfUnicorn(f): 3:40pm On Feb 13, 2019
Environmentalist should be equally vigilant towards poaching activities in the specific zone.

1 Like

Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by BENEFICIAL12(m): 4:01pm On Feb 13, 2019
OP... IS IT ON JUMIA?
Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by Gracespecial101(m): 6:14pm On Feb 13, 2019
woww This is a Superb finding
kudos to them
whereas in my country this is good meat I weep for Nigerians
Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by DanDeeBoss(m): 6:16pm On Feb 13, 2019
Tamarapetty:
Lol, i never said GOAT

Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by nelszx: 9:09pm On Feb 13, 2019
Gisters:
Biologists have captured a rare footage of a big Black Leopard also known as 'Black Panther' walking majestically in Kenya, making it the first time the animal has been photographed in Africa since 1909.

Nick Pilfold, a San Diego Zoo global scientist, said they captured the footage after months of watching and waiting. His team of biologists had placed remote wildlife cameras to track the leopard population near Loisaba Conservancy in Laikipia County last year when they heard unconfirmed reports of a possible black leopard sighting.

"We intensified our camera placement in the area the reports were being made. Within a few months, we were rewarded with multiple observations on our cameras" he said on Tuesday night.

The female leopard's coat color is pitch black as a result of melanism, a gene mutation that results in an over-production of pigment, Pilfold said. It's the opposite of albinism and although the leopard's coat appears black during the day, its rosette patterns are visible in nighttime infrared imagery.

While there have been reports of sightings of black leopards the last confirmed observation was in Ethiopia more than a century ago, he said. Pilfold is part of a team from the San Diego Zoo working with local partners, including the Kenya Wildlife Service, to monitor leopard populations in the area and help preserve the species.

See more photos here; http://gistmore.com/rare-black-leopard-black-panther-spotted-in-africa-for-the-1st-time-in-100-years

Looks like a jaguar
Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by potbelly(m): 11:28pm On Feb 13, 2019
Wakanda forever cool
Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by KingLennon(m): 5:12am On Feb 14, 2019
Tamarapetty:

Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by KingLennon(m): 5:13am On Feb 14, 2019
GOFRONT:
Where is NwaAmaikpe??

Where has he gone to??
He has started JAMB classes
Re: Rare Black Leopard 'black Panther" Spotted In Africa For The 1st Time In 100 Yrs by tck2000(m): 11:29am On Sep 18, 2019
Scary

(1) (Reply)

I'm Ready To Act Nude —nollywood Actress Queeneth Hilbert / Burna Boy @ Secondary School ( Throwback ) / Shameless 21 year-old Celebrity Model Broad Day Light Madness(VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.