Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,411 members, 7,815,918 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Have I Been Cheated? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Have I Been Cheated? (1471 Views)

JAMB Rejects Apology Of Timipade Kemepade, Candidate Who Cheated 21 Years Ago / FUTMINNA Graduating Student Wears "Cheated In Every Exam" T-shirt / Fresh Graduate Wore "Cheated In Every Exam" T-shirt (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have I Been Cheated? by CrimeKsmart: 7:20am On Feb 22, 2019
Good day beautiful people. I will sharing my story with you and I need you to comment on it so as to know if truly I have been oppressed and cheated.

I attended a particular federal university and I graduated last year but I am yet to be mobilized for service for some reasons which I will be sharing below.
During my final year days, I was part of my faculty executives which I happened to be the welfare director of my faculty association. Around July last year, a dinner program was held by the faculty association and it happened that the social director is the person empowered constitutionally to take full charge of the arrangement and execution of the program since its a social gathering. The social director alongside the vice president singlehandedly planned for this program without carrying other executives along not even the President of the association. They solemnly determined the amount of the tickets to be sold out for the program which varies from 1500(individual), 10,000( table for 4 and 25,000(table for cool . A particular fund was approved for the dinner program by students representative council which is the legislative arm of the association. Obviously, fund approved for the program can't be enough to carry out the program. The social director and the v.p sought out for fund by borrowing 500k plus from a department in the faculty hoping to return the fund borrowed before the department also need it.

In other to make the dinner program a sensational one, they decided to invite musicians. Initially two artists were invited but along the line, they terminated their invitation due to lack of trust from the intermediary.
They cried out loud that they needed an artist in the faculty secretariat. I was in the Secretariat that day and I remember I know someone who knows a particular musician. Immediately I told them I know someone who I can talk to that will help them bring the musician if they will like to invite him. They were on my neck begging me to link them up which I did. They begged me to negotiate on their behalf to make it easy for them since I have a link with the musician, on the same spot I called and negotiated on their behalf and 350k was mutually agreed to be paid to the musician. That was my own involvement in the case.

Tickets were sold and the program went successfully but unfortunately they could not realize the money they expected,making them run at deficit. During the whole planning, no executive was carried along.

They run at deficit. The people they borrowed the money from needed their money to also run their program. The v.p on behalf of the social director borrowed the money so the v.p was held to pay back the money. The issue got escalated and the matter was taken before the security unit in the sch premises. All the executives were invited and it was later resolved that the v.p should bear the cross herself since no one was part of the planing for the dinner program. The v.p took the case to a particular police station outside the campus and the social director was arrested cos the v.p(a girl) alleged that we all mismanaged the fund. The social director was compelled to call other executive unfortunately few executives were around cos exam was over then, just clearance for final year students was ongoing. He called me on phone and he told me I am needed to shed light on the issue. I immediately went to the police station and I got arrested. I was accused of mismanaging the fund with them I and denied it. Perhaps the v.p has induced them with a stipend. I was tortured and locked up in the inner cell. It took the intervention of my faculty officer and the Dean to get me and the social director out of the cell in the late night. No one ever questioned or sanctioned the girl for illegal apprehension and subjecting me to physical and emotional torture.

The case was immediately taken to the desk of the dean and he summoned all the executives. The v.p was asked to write formally on the whole issue. I was indicted. She alleged that I negotiated on their behalf in respect to the invitation of the musician. I explained that I was begged to do that on their behalf not as if I went to meet them or enforced the musician on them.

At the end I was asked to pay 15%/of the total dept which amounted to 77,530. I felt cheated cos the whole process was compromised. No justification for the 15% i was asked to pay. I was not part of the planning committee, I didn't collect money from any one or pay on behalf of anyone, I didn't sell ticket, and I didn't know about their income or expenses but I was compelled to pay the 15%. The dean gave directive to my department that my result should not be forwarded for senate approval because i was in my final year. Within a week, I got the money and I paid. I was hoping that my name will be forwarded for senate approval to enable me to participate in NYSC scheme but I was told that my department failed to forward my name due to their non challant altitude. So I was unable to meet up with batch C NYSC scheme.

Around December, some names were approved by the senate and I got to know around Jan. I went to sch to verify if my name was approved but no signal was given to my department by faculty authority as alleged by my department authority. The faculty authority also claimed a signal was given. Immediately, my Level advicer prepared my results and forwarded it to the faculty.

Another names were approved yesterday and I got the information that my name was not there. It means I won't be going with the next batch.

I have goals I am working towards but it seems the faculty care less about me. I was compelled to pay for what I did not involve in, I was detained and tortured illegally, and I am delayed for their own non chalant altitude.

What should I do?
I need your advice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have I Been Cheated? by Lisaint(m): 7:23am On Feb 22, 2019
Have you tried talking to your DSA?
Re: Have I Been Cheated? by Dada2010: 7:27am On Feb 22, 2019
If you have a good lawyer,
Now is the time to lawyer up.
If you can't afford a lawyer,
Go to the dean with an elderly person and beg.
Carry the proof of payment also.
And cry small
Re: Have I Been Cheated? by udumosam23(m): 7:28am On Feb 22, 2019
Get a good lawyer, go to court. Simple.
Re: Have I Been Cheated? by Chuks9000: 7:32am On Feb 22, 2019
Getting a lawyer means you have planned to waste 5 to 15 years of your life in court.

Young man, this is a lesson that whatever you do in life, there should be evidence to back it. What do you mean by they begged you? I wanted to commend you for paying your share of the refund but it was avoidable in the first instance.
Secondly, always disassociate yourself from any form of illegality. An event not sanctioned by the executive meant you had no business even attending such event let alone assisting in one way or the other.
You are young in life, everything thing you intend to do needs to be checked very well before committing.
Write a polite (formal) letter to the dean capturing your own side of the story, his own meeting and his decision to involve you, to the stage where you paid your share of refund and the department failing to send your name for approval twice after you have met all conditions.
Appeal to him to ask your department to send your name when next approval exercise is done.
Make sure the secretary properly acknowledge the letter o. But if the dean had shined the VP's letter o, then, prepare yourself for the worse. Also seek the advice of a lawyer in order to get a better perspective.

1 Like

Re: Have I Been Cheated? by CrimeKsmart: 7:46am On Feb 22, 2019
Lisaint:
Have you tried talking to your DSA?
Who or what is DSA?
Re: Have I Been Cheated? by CrimeKsmart: 7:49am On Feb 22, 2019
Dada2010:
If you have a good lawyer,
Now is the time to lawyer up.
If you can't afford a lawyer,
Go to the dean with an elderly person and beg.
Carry the proof of payment also.
And cry small
At first I wanted to get a lawyer but I was adviced not to and I also consider the cost implication of getting a lawyer.
Do I need to go to the Dean and beg for an injustice on my side?
Re: Have I Been Cheated? by Dada2010: 7:54am On Feb 22, 2019
CrimeKsmart:

At first I wanted to get a lawyer but I was adviced not to and I also consider the cost implication of getting a lawyer.
Do I need to go to the Dean and beg for an injustice on my side?
Money gives you a voice.
But since you don't have that, bros na naija we dey.
Beg, go for service. Make it in life and you will look back and laugh at all the hurdles you had to overcome
Re: Have I Been Cheated? by Coldplay007(f): 2:18pm On Feb 22, 2019
Which artiste did you guys pay 350k?
That will determine whether you are cheated or not..
Re: Have I Been Cheated? by Oblongata: 4:03pm On Feb 22, 2019
Dude who is the artiste? Is he upcoming or made? It is obvious the dean concluded that the 350k was a sham which was handled by you...

Please don’t be in a rush to beat your self, what has happened has happened! You will serve, and you will reminisce all these with a smile...

And for the rest of you guys that are undergraduates please don't do school politics, just Graduate and go...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have I Been Cheated? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Feb 22, 2019
So unfortunate just see what pressure from people has landed you. Try to get advice from your H.O.D and Dean of faculty to assist you.

1 Like

Re: Have I Been Cheated? by CrimeKsmart: 9:14pm On Feb 22, 2019
Chuks9000:
Getting a lawyer means you have planned to waste 5 to 15 years of your life in court.

Young man, this is a lesson that whatever you do in life, there should be evidence to back it. What do you mean by they begged you? I wanted to commend you for paying your share of the refund but it was avoidable in the first instance.
Secondly, always disassociate yourself from any form of illegality. An event not sanctioned by the executive meant you had no business even attending such event let alone assisting in one way or the other.
You are young in life, everything thing you intend to do needs to be checked very well before committing.
Write a polite (formal) letter to the dean capturing your own side of the story, his own meeting and his decision to involve you, to the stage where you paid your share of refund and the department failing to send your name for approval twice after you have met all conditions.
Appeal to him to ask your department to send your name when next approval exercise is done.
Make sure the secretary properly acknowledge the letter o. But if the dean had shined the VP's letter o, then, prepare yourself for the worse. Also seek the advice of a lawyer in order to get a better perspective.
I am going to do this. Thanks a lot for the advice.
Re: Have I Been Cheated? by CrimeKsmart: 9:15pm On Feb 22, 2019
asuustrike1:
So unfortunate just see what pressure from people has landed you. Try to get advice from your H.O.D and Dean of faculty to assist you.
those people you mentioned are the ones causing the whole problem. They have all compromised, that's why my name is yet to be forwarded.
Re: Have I Been Cheated? by CrimeKsmart: 9:25pm On Feb 22, 2019
Oblongata:
Dude who is the artiste? Is he upcoming or made? It is obvious the dean concluded that the 350k was a sham which was handled by you...

Please don’t be in a rush to beat your self, what has happened has happened! You will serve, and you will reminisce all these with a smile...

And for the rest of you guys that are undergraduates please don't do school politics, just Graduate and go...
The artist name is Qdot. He would have collected higher than that but due to my relationship with his manager, he collected that amount. I was even accused by the Dean that I collected a commission which I didn't.
Your words are really inspiring. I know for sure it can't last forever but my concern is why are they delaying despite meeting up with what I was asked to do.

Don't discourage others from going into sch politics. I know what I learnt in sch politics. I really gained positively from it and it makes me who I am today.
It increases my sense of belonging, I understand what leadership is all about , strengthens my human relations and other aspect I can't even mention. I am just unfortunate to face all these challenges.
Re: Have I Been Cheated? by ksbusari(m): 7:44am On Feb 23, 2019
don't really know what to say. you have to start begging and showing Ur evidence of payment. go to appropriate places and beg. May God help u.
Re: Have I Been Cheated? by encryptjay(m): 1:55pm On Feb 23, 2019
Whew... It's quite unfortunate some people at the top resort to oppression and frustration of students in the name of personal vendetta.
Bro, if you know a lecturer and probably some Excos who could talk to the HoD and Dean in your behalf, meet with them so that you guys can resolve this issue.
Sorry about this, you'll go for service.
What a country!
Re: Have I Been Cheated? by Lisaint(m): 7:54pm On Feb 23, 2019
CrimeKsmart:
Who or what is DSA?

Dean of student affairs
Re: Have I Been Cheated? by kennyjam: 9:52pm On Feb 23, 2019
OP, is Your federal University in the North West?
Re: Have I Been Cheated? by CrimeKsmart: 9:23am On Mar 04, 2019
kennyjam:
OP, is Your federal University in the North West?
No

Why did you ask

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Am Really Depressed / How To Get A Study Abroad Loan In Nigeria / Unilag 2007/08 Post Screening Test: Date Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.