Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,222 members, 7,815,276 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know (39958 Views)

Your Mechanic Is Cooking A Lie To Tell You / Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread / How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by AutoReportNG: 4:09pm On Feb 26, 2019
If you’re like AIT presenter, Lara Owoeye Wise, you know what it’s like to be cheated by your car mechanic. While there are some great cars out there, we all deal with mechanical issues from time to time. It’s just part of the life of the car. These helpful tips will let you in on some of the best-kept secrets your mechanic doesn’t want you to know.

Easy Repairs
Some repairs are much easier to do than you think. Remember, your mechanic works off the price of parts and service fees. The “harder” apart is to replace, the more time it will take to do so, and the more money the auto body shop will earn in service fees. Ask around before blindly accepting your mechanic's words as truth.

Cheaper Parts Elsewhere
Not only are there some fixes that are simpler than expected, but you can usually find parts cheaper at a local parts store than through your mechanic. Get the name of the part and how much they want you to pay for it, and then buy one on your own and take it back to the auto repair shop. Your mechanic might just wise up and realize you’re not as easy to dupe as others.

[img]https://2.bp..com/-VVdupYmY4vw/XHVSKKkzIRI/AAAAAAAAYfg/RT7AFHzIoMIP2zSyIg82H_2Hu7UPMt58QCLcBGAs/s1600/DIY.JPG[/img]

Fix This Now, or You’re in for Trouble!
When a mechanic tells you that your car only has about half an inch of brake pads remaining and they must be replaced immediately, just smile and take your business elsewhere. Mechanics play on your lack of knowledge to get you to replace parts, such as brake pads, or perform regular maintenance, such as oil changes, more often than necessary. In most cases, you don’t need to replace your brake pads until there’s less than a quarter inch remaining, and you don’t always need an oil change at the 3000-mile mark. Check with your dealer to find out more information on basic maintenance requirements.

Old or New?
When you have to purchase new parts for your car, be sure to ask your mechanic to see the old parts before they toss them. Question the condition of the part and make sure the answer is adequate. The same applies to new tire purchases. The tires you’re buying should not be outdated or used, and the tires you’re removing should be outdated and worn beyond safe use.

Get a Second Opinion
It’s always important to get an estimate from your mechanic before any work is officially done. If you question any of your mechanic’s charges, and you don’t get adequate answers, look around for a second opinion. Check fees at other auto repair shops, price out the parts on your own, and ask your friends for references before letting a mechanic you don’t wholly trust work on your car.

While there are mechanics who will cheat you for as much money as you’re willing to give them, there are also plenty of honest mechanics who do solid work and charge fair rates. All it takes is a little time and research to find them.

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/02/5-best-kept-secrets-your-mechanic.html

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by AutoReportNG: 4:09pm On Feb 26, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by blackboy(m): 4:16pm On Feb 26, 2019
I agree
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by Rimimafia: 6:11pm On Feb 26, 2019
na so

1 Like

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by Baawaa(m): 6:11pm On Feb 26, 2019
Mechanic can make you abandon your car

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by JoanHicks(f): 6:12pm On Feb 26, 2019
This won't reduce the upper cut Kano gave Atiku

Ganduje is wicked

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by kenniefawole(m): 6:13pm On Feb 26, 2019
lol
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by Nobody: 6:13pm On Feb 26, 2019
Once went to check my car in a garage unannounced as i went to a buka nearby to eat. Paid 20k for shaft. As i reach der d mech was shocked. He was removing shaft from the shaft of another car for me . Well i guess na hin ladipo be dat grin

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by peteruuu(m): 6:14pm On Feb 26, 2019
Okay.
I'll keep this in mind...until I own a car.

7 Likes

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by ogawisdom(m): 6:14pm On Feb 26, 2019
Kazeems

Buy parts yourself never allow him do that for u
Compare prices by having up to three mechanic
Have number of some auto part shops
Create time and be with the mechanic on repair days

Don't allow any mechanic to disrespect u or be rude because u asked questions, u r the boss and he is at your service so speak to him as a boss

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by samuel19222(m): 6:16pm On Feb 26, 2019
H
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by samuel19222(m): 6:16pm On Feb 26, 2019
Hvccnc
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by phase1: 6:16pm On Feb 26, 2019
How do I fix a leaky sunroof on my own?
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by oyi1(m): 6:20pm On Feb 26, 2019
My Advice:

Your Car Is Never 100% ok.
So Don't Repair Until Is Unmanageable

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by ogawisdom(m): 6:22pm On Feb 26, 2019
phase1:
How do I fix a leaky sunroof on my own?

Sunroof is so useless in a car, wonder why people buy car with that feature when he will be using AC all the time.

Sunroof is a turn off

9 Likes

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by Nobody: 6:24pm On Feb 26, 2019
cheesy

That is why I am on Team DIY.

Just that I am busier now. When I was in school, I hardly go to mechanic because I can do some car maintenance such as: Oil servicing; changing of ball joints, hubs etc.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by BamideleIyanu89: 6:28pm On Feb 26, 2019
How To Make Liquid Bathing Soap In Nigeria (Tested and Working)

Today, I will be teaching us how to make liquid bathing soap or liquid soap for bathing; either way – you are right.
If you are the type that wants something a bit better; you should consider, an average soap of #200, e.g., Dettol, Tesmosol … and if you are the type who have a taste for quality; then you should be prepared to spend at least #500 on bathing soap. Liquid bathing soap costs more anyway; as the cheapest is around #1,200. Do the mathematics and let us Continue…lol

https://nltrends.com.ng/how-to-make-liquid-bathing-soap-in-nigeria-tested-and-working/
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by islandmoon: 6:28pm On Feb 26, 2019
ogawisdom:
Kazeems

Don't allow any mechanic to disrespect u or be rude because u asked questions, u r the boss and he is at your service so speak to him as a boss

I tell mechanics boys what to do, I understand my car so well that I can listen to her talk , her name is Marc and there is no language she speaks that I do not understand, she's my first wife but my wife dethroned her.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by biosilicon: 6:30pm On Feb 26, 2019
grin
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by Chuknovski(m): 6:34pm On Feb 26, 2019
I know my car well, she's bea,we understand each other well especially when am broke the car cooperate

11 Likes

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by haladadon: 6:37pm On Feb 26, 2019
ogawisdom:
Kazeems

if you're not a mechanic the spare parts seller won't sell parts cheap for you. you're just wasting time and money.

if you follow the mechanic to buy parts the parts seller will still cheat you and the mechanic has a cut in that money too.

just let him do his job. if it's easier for you then do it yourself.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by ceejay675(m): 6:40pm On Feb 26, 2019
Nice thread... Am currently having challenges with my Toyota camry 2005. I awlays refill the water reservoir everyday. I mean the coolant reservoir. The mechanic said I should change the radiator to double cell which I have done but the problem still persist.. I have even changed water pump still the same problem.. I don't know what else to do.. The car does not over heat just that am afraid it will over heat if I stop putting water in that reservoir. Please I need ideas on how to solve this... I'm in awka
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by Nobody: 6:44pm On Feb 26, 2019
ceejay675:
Nice thread... Am currently having challenges with my Toyota camry 2005. I awlays refill the water reservoir everyday. I mean the coolant reservoir. The mechanic said I should change the radiator to double cell which I have done but the problem still persist.. I have even changed water pump still the same problem.. I don't know what else to do.. The car does not over heat just that am afraid it will over heat if I stop putting water in that reservoir. Please I need ideas on how to solve this... I'm in awka
Maybe it's time to scrap your 14 years old car, Buy a new car. problem solved.

1 Like

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by IjebuWarrior: 6:48pm On Feb 26, 2019
cool
Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by Nobody: 6:50pm On Feb 26, 2019
I don't know much About cars, I take my AMG benz SUV 2016 Every time to the repair shop. Even for a minor problem, i believe they reap me off All the time.

But i wouldn't want to Damage the car further by DIYing It. So i pay. To even change Plugs.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by ogawisdom(m): 6:52pm On Feb 26, 2019
haladadon:

if you're not a mechanic the spare parts seller won't sell parts cheap for you. you're just wasting time and money.

if you follow the mechanic to buy parts the parts seller will still cheat you and the mechanic has a cut in that money too.

just let him do his job. if it's easier for you then do it yourself.

Na for people way no get sense like u, I know all that and trust me I always make the right choice and at the best price. I won't tell u all the tricks involved here so continue with your style. I compare prices using online research n it always pays off

2 Likes

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by ogawisdom(m): 6:56pm On Feb 26, 2019
islandmoon:

I tell mechanics boys what to do, I understand my car so well that I can listen to her talk , her name is Marc and there is no language she speaks that I do not understand, she's my first wife but my wife dethroned her.

Same here most times, I am the one to diagnose my car issue and only to tell mechanic change this or that. It pays to be knowledgeable about your car and pay attention to it

3 Likes

Re: 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know by Nobody: 6:59pm On Feb 26, 2019
JoanHicks:
This won't reduce the upper cut Kano gave Atiku

Ganduje is wicked

Does your post make sense to you? How does what you posted relate to the topic of discussion now.

No wonder we have losers ruling us with youth like you

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Motorized Three-Wheel Tricycle Spotted In Onitsha (Photos) / What Is The Difference Between SOHC And DOHC Engines And Which Is Better? / How Good Is Toyota Matrix?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.