Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs (6540 Views)

PS3 Hack For Slim And Super Slim 4.70 /4.75 Version / Do We Need To Chip Xbox 360 To Play Pirated Cd Games? / Software For Playing Pirated Ps2 Cd's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by Mobinga: 1:08am On Aug 29, 2010
Sony has won a temporary ban to prevent Australian distributors selling a hardware hack for the PlayStation 3 (PS3).

The PS3Jailbreak "dongle" allows gamers to play homemade and pirated games on the game's console.

The ban prevents OzModChips, Mod Supplier and Quantronics from importing, distributing or selling the device.

Sony has until August 31 to makes its case to the court for a permanent ban.

If it fails, the chips could go on sale on 1 September.

The firm declined to comment on the proceedings. The Australian distributors could not be reached.
The court order also gives Sony control of all of the dongles in the firms' possession and allows the electronics giant to test the devices - including "destructive analysis" - to see how they work.

Homebrew games
PS3Jailbreak is a dongle containing software that allows users to save games to the console's hard drive.

It is the first product to crack the security on the PS3.

It was met with scepticism when videos of the device - posted by OzModChips - first appeared online in early August.

At the time, a spokesperson for Console Pro, another distributor based in the Netherlands, told BBC News the "dongle converts a retail unit into a dev unit".

Dev units are used by developers to test code for the machine.

"Dev mode means it will run any - even unsigned - code," said the spokesperson. "Using a simple backup maker or player software, you can play backed-up [saved] games without the actual disc being in the PS3."

The legality of these products - commonly called modchips - differs by country.

In Australia they are legal, whilst in the UK a recent court case brought by Nintendo said that "game copiers" were illegal to import, advertise or sell.

Proponents of modchips say they are the only way to play homemade games, known as "homebrews".

It is not known whether distributors in other countries have been served similar notices.

But, a spokesperson for Console Pro told BBC News in the wake of Friday's ban that the firm had "not heard anything from Sony or any lawyer or court yet".

"I really doubt Sony has grounds to ban this dongle."
Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by Bawss1(m): 12:48pm On Aug 29, 2010
We haven't seen the last of this yet.
Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by Mobinga: 3:12pm On Aug 29, 2010
yeah. . lol. . when d tin go reach naija sef? 10k per disc,don tire person
Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 29, 2010
i will be the first in line to buy one because PS3 prices are insane!
i use to download and burn my own dvds for my PS2 but these sweet times are over. . . . . . . . . abeg let them bring the "free game" again.
Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by ritchboy(m): 10:48pm On Aug 29, 2010
ABOUT FUKCING TIME!!
Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by obinna5000(m): 10:19am On Aug 30, 2010
@Mobinga
You got the article from BBC website. I just read it today.
But I don't think there are pirated PS3 discs at the moment.

@MRbrownJAY aka MRdownload cheesy
How far now?? smiley
Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by Mobinga: 6:17pm On Aug 30, 2010
obinna5000:

@Mobinga
You got the article from BBC website. I just read it today.
But I don't think there are pirated PS3 discs at the moment.

How far now?? smiley

Yeah, but once the chip goes for sale, the pirated discs go for sale too
Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by Nobody: 5:53am On Aug 31, 2010
obinna5000:

How far now?? smiley

good! yeah the internet can make people save on a lot of money oh!
dont know how much games cost anywhere else but here the good titles go for $50-$60each while if that chip was legal and working, i could get the games for free (just the price of a blank dvd)
Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by Frizy(m): 1:06pm On Aug 31, 2010
Guys don't let us be too happy yet. With the constant forced firmware upgrade, the usb chip may stop working. Second, I hope the chip being a usb will not make Sony to detect your PS3 is modified while the USB is removed. I hope it works like a plug and play device. lastly, for about $160, I don't think that chip is cheap, let them bring it down to about $60. Everybody can get it then.

One more thing, remember that you will not use a blank dvd to play the PS3 games, but a blank blu-ray disc. Except you get a very cheap one, the prices start from $6.00. With the game on it, PS3 games may still cost about N1500 in Nigeria.
Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by ogagusps3: 4:24pm On Aug 31, 2010
Frizy:

Guys don't let us be too happy yet. With the constant forced firmware upgrade, the usb chip may stop working. Second, I hope the chip being a usb will not make Sony to detect your PS3 is modified while the USB is removed. I hope it works like a plug and play device. lastly, for about $160, I don't like that chip is cheap, let them bring it down to about $60. Everybody can get it then.

One more thing, remember that you will not use a blank dvd to play the PS3 games, but a blank blu-ray disc. Except a get a very cheap one, the prices start from $6.00. With the game on it, PS3 games may still cost about N1500 in Nigeria.
Dude, first of all the usb jailbreak disables firmware updates on the ps3 system,
Secondly, We won't play them on disks of any kind, we will play them either from the ps3's hard drive or from an external HDD.
Thirdly, Sony will only detect it that you are trying to play the backed up game when logged in

1 Like

Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by kay101: 6:18pm On Dec 27, 2010
Thank you very much guys for all your post.I am here in the Netherlands and needed to findout how much a Ps3 cd sells for in nigeria since i am returning next week so as to either buy here or buy in nig if its cheaper, now i know i have to buy here. Lucky me! there's a cash converter shop where i have bought a few ps3 for 15 Euros and wondered if i could get pirated cds in nig.Now i know oh.Thanks guysssssssssssss! n merry xmas in arears.
Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by FameMonsta(m): 11:02pm On Dec 28, 2010
Let them make this chip available already, court go judge later! This is outrageous. I'd already spent cool 22k on 2 crappy games I don't like, it's about time someone starts answering my PS3-rical prayers, Go Pirates!!!!
Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by malone5923(m): 8:37am On Dec 29, 2010
If you can find an Ipod mini or certain Ipods you can do the hack yourself which is a lot cheaper. If you guys can chill a bit you willl be able to softmodd your PS3 just like Wii courtesy of XMB Glitch.
Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by rexyjay(m): 9:05am On Dec 29, 2010
Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by coexport: 5:23pm On Jan 17, 2011
download on ur xbox,psp,ps2,ps3,computer pc games, one game cost #500 each
list of games avilable
pes 2011 2010
fifa 11 winning 11
grandtheft auto
wrestling
mortal combact
street fighter
god hand
god of war 1,2,3
metal gear
spartan total warrior
terminator

up to 100 games avilable just tell us the game and we download it direct to ur console playstation 2,3,psp and xbox180 and 360 and ur computer games play ur game console even when it is bad with downloading

brand new downloading flat playstation 2 up for sale with 5 games downloaded on console pes 2010, mortal compact ,god of war , wrestling ,car race and street fighter prize 31,000 notice it can only play original c.d please it can not play pirated onless it has being hacked

for more information call 08166117634 thanks

brand new playstation 1 flat up for sale 14,000 each thanks

home delivery also avilable for games
Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by beeyee18: 8:19pm On Jan 26, 2011
Store Games On your Ps3 Harddisk Or Buy An Already Hacked Ps3
« on: Today at 07:54:56 PM »
Modify message

dude if u wanna hack your ps3(store games in the harddisk and play them witout the cd holla at me asap)15k per ps3 plus al give u 3games inside your harddisk plus i have an already hack ps3 fat 80gig wit 2 games inside it n 1 pad(45k) call me 08080187158 email beeyee18@gmail.com

U will pick any 3 games frm the list below and al put it in your harddisk buying or hacking

army of two)
Metal Gear Solid 4
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009
Mortal Kombat vs DC

Super Street Fighter 4
PGA Tour 2010
Afro Samurai
Bourne Conspiracy
God Of War 3
Need for speed-pro streets
hell boy(final fantasy 13)

dark void
uncharted 2
smackdown vs raw 2010
The incredible hulk
boarderland
fifa 10

also if u wanna trade holla at me , any of the games listed above,

i also got a brand new xbox 360 S(slim) 250gig with 2 pads and headset,its brand new in the box very clean,
Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by anakin86: 10:54pm On Feb 09, 2011
People pls if u want to hack your console in a safe way without bricking your console pls call 07053424709 or visit www.ps3breakng.com

I got my hack chip from them and its very affordable, they even ship devices anywhere in naija and their customer care is just great. u should check it out.

as for games they also have a awesome collection of games , over 200 of the latest games.
Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by danwest19: 4:29pm On Mar 12, 2011
hack you Ps3 yourself anywhere in the world. All softwares and safety directions provided for a brick free PS3 system,  for only N15,000.

If you are in Lagos, and need direct PS3 Hack assistance, plus Copy Your Favorite Games on Internal or External Hard disk.

All Games Available

Email: teyigbe@yahoo.com

Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by Klemash: 4:21am On Aug 18, 2011
I should of done my research before I purchased the projector on being able to hook up my ps3. Been doing a lot of research on the possibilities of connecting both devices, but I just don't understand all the electrical terms and different kind of cables. With the technology now I'm sure there is a way to hook up my ps3 to the projector. I just want to be ready and hook up when the projector arrives. Thanks!

cheap dstt m3 cardps3 bluetooth keyboard
Re: Sony Obtains Ban On Ps3 Hack Chip ::to Play Pirated Discs by jeff1607(m): 11:14am On Jul 06, 2018
Mobinga:
Sony has won a temporary ban to prevent Australian distributors selling a hardware hack for the PlayStation 3 (PS3).

The PS3Jailbreak "dongle" allows gamers to play homemade and pirated games on the game's console.

The ban prevents OzModChips, Mod Supplier and Quantronics from importing, distributing or selling the device.

Sony has until August 31 to makes its case to the court for a permanent ban.

If it fails, the chips could go on sale on 1 September.

The firm declined to comment on the proceedings. The Australian distributors could not be reached.
The court order also gives Sony control of all of the dongles in the firms' possession and allows the electronics giant to test the devices - including "destructive analysis" - to see how they work.

Homebrew games
PS3Jailbreak is a dongle containing software that allows users to save games to the console's hard drive.

It is the first product to crack the security on the PS3.

It was met with scepticism when videos of the device - posted by OzModChips - first appeared online in early August.

At the time, a spokesperson for Console Pro, another distributor based in the Netherlands, told BBC News the "dongle converts a retail unit into a dev unit".

Dev units are used by developers to test code for the machine.

"Dev mode means it will run any - even unsigned - code," said the spokesperson. "Using a simple backup maker or player software, you can play backed-up [saved] games without the actual disc being in the PS3."

The legality of these products - commonly called modchips - differs by country.

In Australia they are legal, whilst in the UK a recent court case brought by Nintendo said that "game copiers" were illegal to import, advertise or sell.

Proponents of modchips say they are the only way to play homemade games, known as "homebrews".

It is not known whether distributors in other countries have been served similar notices.

But, a spokesperson for Console Pro told BBC News in the wake of Friday's ban that the firm had "not heard anything from Sony or any lawyer or court yet".

"I really doubt Sony has grounds to ban this dongle."

to look back and see this , nothing is permanent

(1) (Reply)

My Ps2 Isn't Playing Pirated Cds, What Do I Do? / Fifa is nowhere near PES / Watch Out For Gta 6 Updating...News updated#

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.