Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,417 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

I Prefer Handwork To "Going To School" - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Prefer Handwork To "Going To School" (6319 Views)

Go Back To School At Age 40 / What are The Best Handwork To Learn In Nigeria? / I'm Confused Of Lucrative Handwork To Learn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Prefer Handwork To "Going To School" by Castlemind(m): 4:04am On Feb 28, 2019
I prefer handwork to “Going to school”
From the country I came from , A child who is educated is that child who has gone through kindergarten, nursery ,primary, secondary and tertiary schools. A solid 22years studying, passing exams and graduation with no practically purpose
I studied my country employment chain and also discovered that after this so called education , the child goes for NYSC training with out getting impacted with an amount of handwork, the child will be feed with token called allowances. This same graduate will be sent to a shop or firm whose owner is not a graduate at all in some cases, the owner of the firm will be well establish with little knowledge of education. I concluded that steps meant for first was placed last.
The reason I am writing this is to express my point to the general public that to make a better future for a child. I think we should prepare that child for entrepreneurship at tender age. Lets consider this structure
A child at 5 years goes for training as a fashion designer after he closes from school by 2pm.
Before he is 18, he won’t be useless compared to our graduate of 25 without any thing. With the modernization of life’s electrical gadgets he can develop better and smarter. This provides economical growth, reliability, sense of responsibility and more for that child subconsciously.
We won’t scrap school totally but handwork can fetch better than schooling.
My story
My dad died in just 1999 as a government worker on duty ,no compensation from the government no care and follow-up. I grew up by the intervention of God’s grace in my life.
My mother single handedly brought up four children, through secondary schools and tertiary institution inclusive
My mother is a petty trader who had no college certificate but she was equipped. She has gotten the passion to work and to make a living with a purpose because she lived among people whose focus was learning a trade or handwork at tender age.
After my secondary school I learned an handwork. After enrolling for Sales and repair of Mechanical Genrators, I also got a form to do Mechanical Engineering at Lagos State Polytechnic,Ikorodu. I graduated with a upper. I source for jobs with my National Diploma Certificate. I was offered Stipend for salary. Now I am a self employed mechanical engineer with my shop ,make my sales and pay my bills.
What if I have not learned that handwork? What if I relied only on school result? What if after securing an employment in a firm and the firm decides to replace me? What if I fall sick working for a firm and the next day I am suspended till further notice?
What if will never end?
Education has an extent it will take you to.
I won’t say much more because a lot of us are suffering while solution is every where
Lets stand up as young people and move this nation to the promise land.

Entrepreneurs Rule

Author
Ama Ikechukwu Chinedu

Re: I Prefer Handwork To "Going To School" by nifemi25(m): 5:07am On Feb 28, 2019
Nothing but the truth talk. Sometimes I just blame myself for wasting most of my time on education.... I could learn something handy....
Re: I Prefer Handwork To "Going To School" by peteruuu(m): 6:42am On Feb 28, 2019
THRASH!.

Just follow your dream!.

2 Likes

Re: I Prefer Handwork To "Going To School" by Castlemind(m): 3:03pm On Feb 28, 2019
Oya! Follow your dream and go to school. Without handwork.

You end working for those who learned handwork.
Re: I Prefer Handwork To "Going To School" by freethesheeple(m): 10:35am On Mar 03, 2019
Castlemind:
I prefer handwork to “Going to school”
From the country I came from , A child who is educated is that child who has gone through kindergarten, nursery ,primary, secondary and tertiary schools. A solid 22years studying, passing exams and graduation with no practically purpose
I studied my country employment chain and also discovered that after this so called education , the child goes for NYSC training with out getting impacted with an amount of handwork, the child will be feed with token called allowances. This same graduate will be sent to a shop or firm whose owner is not a graduate at all in some cases, the owner of the firm will be well establish with little knowledge of education. I concluded that steps meant for first was placed last.
The reason I am writing this is to express my point to the general public that to make a better future for a child. I think we should prepare that child for entrepreneurship at tender age. Lets consider this structure
A child at 5 years goes for training as a fashion designer after he closes from school by 2pm.
Before he is 18, he won’t be useless compared to our graduate of 25 without any thing. With the modernization of life’s electrical gadgets he can develop better and smarter. This provides economical growth, reliability, sense of responsibility and more for that child subconsciously.
We won’t scrap school totally but handwork can fetch better than schooling.
My story
My dad died in just 1999 as a government worker on duty ,no compensation from the government no care and follow-up. I grew up by the intervention of God’s grace in my life.
My mother single handedly brought up four children, through secondary schools and tertiary institution inclusive
My mother is a petty trader who had no college certificate but she was equipped. She has gotten the passion to work and to make a living with a purpose because she lived among people whose focus was learning a trade or handwork at tender age.
After my secondary school I learned an handwork. After enrolling for Sales and repair of Mechanical Genrators, I also got a form to do Mechanical Engineering at Lagos State Polytechnic,Ikorodu. I graduated with a upper. I source for jobs with my National Diploma Certificate. I was offered Stipend for salary. Now I am a self employed mechanical engineer with my shop ,make my sales and pay my bills.
What if I have not learned that handwork? What if I relied only on school result? What if after securing an employment in a firm and the firm decides to replace me? What if I fall sick working for a firm and the next day I am suspended till further notice?
What if will never end?
Education has an extent it will take you to.
I won’t say much more because a lot of us are suffering while solution is every where
Lets stand up as young people and move this nation to the promise land.

Entrepreneurs Rule

Author
Ama Ikechukwu Chinedu

Read More
Download pdf
http://castlemind.com/i-prefer-handwork-to-going-to-school

sometimes it seems Education is rubbish..
Am a mobile phone engineer...

2 Likes

Re: I Prefer Handwork To "Going To School" by Ugosample(m): 10:54am On Mar 03, 2019
hand work is a form of education

1 Like

Re: I Prefer Handwork To "Going To School" by ozo13(m): 11:50am On Mar 03, 2019
Hmmmm.baba even if u want to do that.please make sure u have a formal education alongside o .so that u won't be doing had I know in the future.though unemployment rate may be high currently but likely not going to be the same in the future.

3 Likes

Re: I Prefer Handwork To "Going To School" by Castlemind(m): 5:51am On Apr 03, 2019
How many of the ogas in igboland , yoruba land that has big houses and cars go to school while growing up. Was it not after making money they went to adult education just to sabi speak English. Shey dem wan write waec ni
Re: I Prefer Handwork To "Going To School" by code101: 6:30am On Apr 04, 2019
It is fact everywhere is the world, a trade or skill is equally a very valuable education, it's unfair we live in a society.that value a piece of paper (certificate), but that is rapidly changing, as we now have more graduates than available jobs, so it's a wise step to groom yourself earlier buy acquisition of skill, then you having a formal education will be the icing on the cake (to know how to read/write, handle some formal procedures in line with your business, or have confidence with the paper/English guys are talking, or access some opportunities that are accessible via paper-note the last point may never come).

Mind you I am a professional software developer and web designer, I thank God I learn this skill long before gaining admission to school, today I have a masters degree in Information Technology, but I never stress myself looking for job, intact without this skill I wouldn't have been able to pay my school fees, build a house, get married and still work from the comfort of my house. My dear, we need to seat up and change our orientation to meet the reality of today's world, know one will easily
pay you for that piece of certificates, people/company will pay you to solve problems. Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Prefer Handwork To "Going To School" by akwwa: 3:27am On Apr 26, 2021
Great article, not often seen on this site. Practice is great, I even spend some of my time doing these experiments. Unfortunately, many schools have poor teaching.
Re: I Prefer Handwork To "Going To School" by ChybuzzDD(m): 10:03am On Apr 26, 2021
Young man, everyone cannot be an entrepreneur, and everyone cannot be a graduate/professional.

Now that you've learned your handiwork and working in your shop, will you also be your own doctor or you'll still visit my hospital when you fall sick?
Are you going to be your own lawyer too?

There are different roles to play in the society. Some of them will need some people going to school to learn how to play them, while some will require some other people coming to your shop in order to learn them.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

The Nigeria Immigration Service Has Promoted 8821 Officers / 12 Ways Of Building Team Spirit In An Office Environment / 4 Tips For Growing Your Fashion Designing Career On A Lean Budget.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.