Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,587 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents (3654 Views)

Sustenance And Livelihood Are Preordained In Certain Measures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by Lukgaf(m): 7:56am On Mar 01, 2019
Praise be to Allah.

Firstly:

A number of modern researchers have studied the weights, measures and lengths mentioned in the Qur’an and Sunnah. The scholars have discussed guidelines on their values in the past, and mentioned their equivalents in modern terms. These scholars include the following:

Mahmoud Faakhoori and Salaah ad-Deen Khawwaam, in their book Mawsoo‘ah Wahdaat al-Qiyaas al-‘Arabiyyah wa’l-Islamiyyah wa maa yu‘aadiluhaa bi’l-Maqaadeer al-Hadeethah: al-Atwaal, al-Masaahaat, al-Awzaan, al-Makaayeel.

Muhammad Najm ad-Deen al-Kurdi, in his book al-Maqaadeer ash-Shar‘iyyah wa’l-Ahkaam al-Muta‘alliqah biha – Kayl, Wazn, Miqyaas – mundhu ‘Ahd an-Nabi (sall-Allahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) wa Taqweemuha bi’l-Mu‘aasir.

‘Ali Pasha Mubaarak, in his book al-Mizaan fi’l-Aqyisah wa’l-Awzaan.

Muneer Hammood Farhaan al-Kubaysi, in his book al-Maqaadeer ash-Shar‘iyyah wa Ahammiyatuha fi Tatbeeq ash-Sharee‘ah al-Islamiyyah: al-Awzaan wa’l-Makaayeel wa’l-Maqaayees.

Muhammad al-Jaleeli, in his book al-Makaayeel wa’l-Awzaan wa’n-Nuqood al-‘Arabiyyah.

Muhammad Subhi al-Hallaaq, in his book al-Eedaahaat al-‘Asriyyah li’l-Maqaayees wa’l-Makaayeel wa’l-Awzaan ash-Shar‘iyyah.

Shaykh ‘Abdullah ibn Sulaymaan al-Munayyi‘, in his article Tahweel al-Mawaazeen wa’l-Makaayeel ash-Shar‘iyyah ila al-Maqaadeer al-Mu‘aasirah, published in Majallat al-Buhooth al-Islamiyyah (issue no. 59).

Shaykh Wahbah az-Zuhayli, in his book al-Fiqh al-Islami wa Adillatuhu.

Secondly:

With regard to what the questioner wants to know about the modern equivalents of those measures, weights and volumes, we say – with the addition of the equivalent of the “meel”:

Mudd
Shaykh ‘Abdullah ibn Sulaymaan al-Munayyi‘ (may Allah preserve him) said:

The mudd is equivalent to 544 grams, based on the fact that the mudd is equal to one and a third ratls, and the ratl is equivalent to 408 grams, as noted above.

Majallat al-Buhooth al-Islamiyyah (59/179).

Saa‘

The Council of Senior Scholars in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia researched the equivalent of the saa‘ in kilograms, basing their research on the fact that the saa‘ of the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) was equal to four mudds, and the mudd was what could fill the cupped hands of a man of average size, then it was worked out what was meant by “what could fill the cupped hands of a man of average size”. The conclusion reached was that the mudd is equivalent to approximately 650 grams, so the equivalent of the saa‘ is 2600 grams.

Majallat al-Buhooth al-Islamiyyah (59/178).

Qullah

The qullah that is well known among the scholars is the “qullah of Hajar”. This Hajar was a village near Madinah, not the Hajar of al-Bahrain.

We have mentioned above that one qullah was equal to two hundred and fifty ratls, and we have mentioned above that the ratl is equivalent to 408 grams. Therefore the equivalent of a single qullah in grams is 250 x 408 = 102,000 grams, or 102 kilograms.

Majallat al-Buhooth al-Islamiyyah (59/184).

Dhiraa‘
Shaykh Wahbah az-Zuhayli (may Allah preserve him) said:

The dhiraa‘ [cubit] referred to in fiqh is the Haashimi dhiraa‘, which is equivalent to 61.2 centimetres.

Meel
The meel [mile] is 4,000 dhiraa‘s [cubits], i.e., 1,848 metres.

Farsakh
The farsakh [parasang] is 3 meels, or 5,544 metres, or 12,000 khutwah [steps].

Bareed
The Arabian bareed is equal to 4 farsakhs, or 22,176 metres, or 22.176 kilometres.

Al-Fiqh al-Islami wa Adillatuhu (1/74, 75).

And Allah knows best.

Source: Islam Q&A
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by sarahade(f): 9:06am On Mar 01, 2019
What do we need this information for .
Oga o

7 Likes

Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by kiiingemmy(m): 9:07am On Mar 01, 2019
shocked shocked
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by AgentGoat: 9:13am On Mar 01, 2019
sarahade:
Oga o
Who is 'we'?
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by Demol4trillions(m): 9:16am On Mar 01, 2019
What a great topic! keep it up.

1 Like

Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by AgentGoat: 9:17am On Mar 01, 2019
sarahade:

Your ancestors sholo stupid.

Ok
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by Nobody: 9:24am On Mar 01, 2019
sarahade:

were you not the married woman in need of a serious guy in US for extramarital relationship, you told me your husband is your king. Now, you openly annouce that your ancestors are stupid and it has been passed to you, therefore in future your grandchildren will come here to announce your stupidity.

2 Likes

Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by Nobody: 9:25am On Mar 01, 2019
sarahade:

were you not the married woman in need of a serious guy in US for extramarital relationship, you told me your husband is your king. Now, you openly annouce that your ancestors are stupid and it has been passed to you, therefore in future your grandchildren will come here to announce your stupidity

2 Likes

Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by sarahade(f): 9:27am On Mar 01, 2019
Nurrex:

were you not the married woman in need of a serious guy in US for extramarital relationship, you told me your husband is your king. Now, you openly annouce that your ancestors are stupid and it has been passed to you, therefore in future your grandchildren will come here to announce your stupidity

Hahaha don't go mad on my issue o. Werey re o. Hold him o before hin enter market.
I won't dignify you with an appropriate answer.

3 Likes

Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by dreamwords: 9:32am On Mar 01, 2019
Do we need it to build our house in heaven?
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by Nobody: 10:50am On Mar 01, 2019
This saharade girl is consisting nuisance..
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by sarahade(f): 10:40am On Mar 03, 2019
Abuheekmat:
This saharade girl is consisting nuisance..

Olodo terrorist.
I will deal with you
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by najib632(m): 11:48pm On Mar 05, 2019
sarahade:
Oga o
The information was not meant for disbelivers
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by sarahade(f): 11:50pm On Mar 05, 2019
najib632:
The information was not meant for disbelivers

O fe te abi. Respect yourself
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by najib632(m): 11:50pm On Mar 05, 2019
sarahade:

Hahaha don't go mad on my issue o. Werey re o. Hold him o before hin enter market.
I won't dignify you with an appropriate answer.
An adultress has no dignity, may Allah expose you for betraying your husband.
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by sarahade(f): 11:53pm On Mar 05, 2019
najib632:
An adultress has no dignity, may Allah expose you for betraying your husband.

Respect yourself. Last warning. You will cry if i start with you. Respect yourself.
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by najib632(m): 12:14am On Mar 06, 2019
sarahade:

Respect yourself. Last warning. You will cry if i start with you. Respect yourself.
Cry for what? All you will say are just from assumptions, you and I don't know each other so there's nothing you'll possibly say that can fall me. Your threats are useless
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by sarahade(f): 7:01am On Mar 06, 2019
najib632:
Cry for what? All you will say are just from assumptions, you and I don't know each other so there's nothing you'll possibly say that can fall me. Your threats are useless
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by Nobody: 7:59am On Mar 06, 2019
sarahade:

Abi oloriburuku leleyi ni. It's like madness runs in your family abi.
It's like you don't ever want to be successful because this is a faceless forum you think you can run your mouth abi. Your ancestors will welcome you soon if you are not careful bastard.
Useless child the Will use you for rituals last last. Ewure
Early in the morning Tori tolorun.
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by sarahade(f): 8:06am On Mar 06, 2019
Nurrex:
Early in the morning Tori tolorun.

Yes i warned him twice. After running his mouth calling me an adulterer and insulting my husband.
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by najib632(m): 10:00am On Mar 06, 2019
sarahade:

Abi oloriburuku leleyi ni. It's like madness runs in your family abi.
It's like you don't ever want to be successful because this is a faceless forum you think you can run your mouth abi. Your ancestors will welcome you soon if you are not careful bastard.
Useless child the Will use you for rituals last last. Ewure
Exactly what I said, useless empty threats is this what will make me cry? Throughout your time in the Islamic section you haven't learnt anything. I swear by Allah there's nothing you can do to me, and an adultress will never be the one to have a foresight to my future. The Muslims brothers open threads to give us da'awah but all you this troll their threads you don't even say anything that makes sense. I'd rather argue with Akin1212 and tintinz than to waste another time with you. You are even dumb sef saying that I insulted your husband when I am praying to Allah to expose you to him, you claim to love him but instead of helping him to cure himself you're betraying him. May Allah guide you if you're you will be guided and if not may you be thrown into hell head's first.
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by sarahade(f): 12:22pm On Mar 06, 2019
najib632:
Exactly what I said, useless empty threats is this what will make me cry? Throughout your time in the Islamic section you haven't learnt anything. I swear by Allah there's nothing you can do to me, and an adultress will never be the one to have a foresight to my future. The Muslims brothers open threads to give us da'awah but all you this troll their threads you don't even say anything that makes sense. I'd rather argue with Akin1212 and tintinz than to waste another time with you. You are even dumb sef saying that I insulted your husband when I am praying to Allah to expose you to him, you claim to love him but instead of helping him to cure himself you're betraying him. May Allah guide you if you're you will be guided and if not may you be thrown into hell head's down.
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by najib632(m): 2:27pm On Mar 06, 2019
sarahade:

Now i know you are just an animal. Don't worry i know you are just frustrated if you like argue with the dead thats your problem.
I will say whatever i want in this section so you can commit suicide you will do the world a favor.

And inshallah like every other sexist and terrorist in this section you will go down.

And i know you cried but if you need more keep quoting me.
Fyi: i won't dignify you with any reasonable answer.
Even online you reek with foolishness and ignorance I cannot waste my time with a Jaheela, by the time Allah has answered my prayer against you then you'll gain a little more understanding.
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by sarahade(f): 12:28am On Mar 07, 2019
najib632:
Even online you reek with foolishness and ignorance I cannot waste my time with a Jaheela, by the time Allah has answered my prayer against you then you'll gain a little more understanding.

You are just a mad terrorist. When you are done feel free to die.
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by najib632(m): 12:41am On Mar 07, 2019
sarahade:

You are just a mad terrorist. When you are done feel free to die.
Show me one comment that I have made on Nairaland that promotes terrorism... None. From our behaviour the mad one among us is obvious. I know I will die, as long as it will be on the path of Allah I don't mind exiting now, while you might die during the act of adultry, disbeliever.
Re: Islamic Weights & Measures And Their Modern Equivalents by sarahade(f): 1:36am On Mar 07, 2019
najib632:
Show me one comment that I have made on Nairaland that promotes terrorism... None. From our behaviour the mad one among us is obvious. I know I will die, as long as it will be on the path of Allah I don't mind exiting now, while you might die during the act of adultry, disbeliever.

Kill yourself mad terrorist. Die die die do the world a favor and die.
Next

(1) (Reply)

Jarus & Olabowale: Why Is Islamic Teaching And Belief Not Uniform? / The Importance Of Tajweed / Prove To Me That Allah And Yahweh Are The Same God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.