Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:02 AM

Check Out 5 Clears Ways To Tell If Someone Is Lying To You Today - Science - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Check Out 5 Clears Ways To Tell If Someone Is Lying To You Today - Science (1959 Views)

Ogun Student Arrested For Allegedly Poisoning Girlfriend, FUNAAB Clears Student / Sylvester Oromoni: Lagos Government Clears 5 Dowen College Students, Staff / Panel Clears FUTO Over Appointment Of Pantami As Professor Of Cybersecurity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Check Out 5 Clears Ways To Tell If Someone Is Lying To You Today - Science by ExAngel007(f): 6:06am On Mar 05, 2019
Some of history's most famous liars had clear giveaways

The average person tells at least four lies a day – but even the most adept fibbers have a tell or two. Scientists have figured out five dead giveaways that you can watch out for if you suspect someone is feeding you porkies.
They mostly involve tiny movements in a liar's face or hands that reveal they're not being totally honest with you.

1) Eye movements People say the eyes are the window to the soul, and the phrase rings especially true with liars. Most people will look up and to the left when recalling memories, and if they're making up their story are more likely to glance down.
In the clip below, notorious serial killer Ted Bundy is questioned about his childhood while on death row in Florida.
The murderer, who is believed to have slaughtered as many as 50 women during his 1970s rampage, frequently glances down while recalling his early years, claiming he was a "normal person" with "good friends".
This goes against reports from his classmates and neighbours, who said Bundy was an isolated and unusual child who didn't spend much time with others.

2) Micro-expressions Micro-expressions are small but subtle changes to your face and body language that give your true emotions away.
They happen subconsciously and only an extremely skilled fibber knows how to stop them, making them an excellent way to spot a liar.
Often the tells last less than a quarter of a second before our faces take on the expression we want. When disgraced US President Richard Nixon famously claimed "I am not a crook" after he was accused on illegal spying operations on his political rivals, his body language gave away his porkies. The slippery politician crossed his arms and stepped backwards, revealing that he was feeling defensive and insecure.
His crimes were later confirmed and he remains the only US President to have ever been impeached.

3) Hand and feet movements It's not just a liar's face that gives them away – their hands and feet can also reveal an aversion to the truth.
When we lie, we're more likely to subconsciously squirm with discomfort, increasing our leg and feet movements.
Raising their heels from the ground, crossing and uncrossing their legs and wrapping one foot round the ankle of the other leg are all signs someone is feeling uncomfortable.

4) Blink rate A liar's blink rate can either increase or decrease when they're misleading you.
It's a sign they're uncomfortable with being put on the spot.
In the video below, former US President Bill Clinton attempts to deceive the world by claiming he did not have a sordid affair with White House staff member Monica Lewinsky.
Watch how his blink rate increases as he delivers the now famous line: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman".

5) Hand movements As well as their face, feet and legs, fibbers will also move their hands in strange ways.
In particular, hand movements become more erratic and are often out of sync with what they're saying. That's because their hands flutter as their brain tries to work the story out.
Disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong lied for years about taking performance enhancing drugs.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/8557912/five-signs-someone-lying-science/

lalasticlala
Re: Check Out 5 Clears Ways To Tell If Someone Is Lying To You Today - Science by Harrymig1(m): 6:11am On Mar 05, 2019
Liars pass liars

5 Likes

Re: Check Out 5 Clears Ways To Tell If Someone Is Lying To You Today - Science by Nobody: 6:17am On Mar 05, 2019
this only applies to americans not africans expecially nigerians

infact someone from nigeria will clearly tell a big lie to ur face
and if u want to use any of this method to know if he/she is lying
haha ur just decieving ya self

5 Likes

Re: Check Out 5 Clears Ways To Tell If Someone Is Lying To You Today - Science by Nobody: 6:47am On Mar 05, 2019
Good read for Americans

Bros make I lie give you 10 years ago
Ask me the same question from sleep I go nack you the same lie with maggi and curry sef make e sweet well well
We be lord of lies
Singing
"Who can battle with the lord, I say nobody....I say nobody ewooo I say nobody grin"

2 Likes

Re: Check Out 5 Clears Ways To Tell If Someone Is Lying To You Today - Science by kiddoiLL(m): 8:13am On Mar 05, 2019
Mumu, you don't know some of us are perfect when it comes to lie abi... you never even meet people. That eye movement own naim make me laff pass, you Nova see guy way dey lie but keep straight eye contact
Re: Check Out 5 Clears Ways To Tell If Someone Is Lying To You Today - Science by generalissimo(m): 8:23am On Mar 05, 2019
Non of ya'll has seen Lai Mohammed in action
Harrymig1:
Liars pass liars
Re: Check Out 5 Clears Ways To Tell If Someone Is Lying To You Today - Science by wholenezer(m): 8:32am On Mar 05, 2019
generalissimo:
Non of ya'll has seen Lai Mohammed in action
he's the Major General when it comes to lie telling

2 Likes

Re: Check Out 5 Clears Ways To Tell If Someone Is Lying To You Today - Science by lara65: 8:36am On Mar 05, 2019
I have read your post about this lie detection manual system. I used to work with Postal services in the UK, we had a case there in which we had to use this manual lie detection system. I am CEO of Write My Essay A services company in the UK. I will contact you for further useful information.
Re: Check Out 5 Clears Ways To Tell If Someone Is Lying To You Today - Science by Nobody: 10:47am On Mar 05, 2019
Get a polygraph machine!
Re: Check Out 5 Clears Ways To Tell If Someone Is Lying To You Today - Science by Auladimeji2: 12:41pm On Mar 05, 2019
Have you seen a situation whereby a theif will swear that he's a saint
Re: Check Out 5 Clears Ways To Tell If Someone Is Lying To You Today - Science by Oluwasaeon(m): 8:50pm On Mar 05, 2019
Lai Mohammed rn

Re: Check Out 5 Clears Ways To Tell If Someone Is Lying To You Today - Science by kushercain: 12:56am On Mar 06, 2019
What of ppl like us wey don dey look mumccy eye since milk teeth days deny say we no tiff meat nko

Durentt:
Get a polygraph machine!

Even that one can be defeated if the liar knows how to control his pulse and heart beat
Re: Check Out 5 Clears Ways To Tell If Someone Is Lying To You Today - Science by Nobody: 4:06am On Mar 06, 2019
Was this science also carried out in Africa especially Nigeria? If not, then this is just a science for oyinbo.

If u doubt, ask an igbo man wen im dey market. Ask Atiku when he's saying he's not a thief or Gandollar, or Ibb, obj etc, and down to a new born baby in Naija.
Re: Check Out 5 Clears Ways To Tell If Someone Is Lying To You Today - Science by femi4: 6:15am On Mar 06, 2019
When people are beating lie detectors already

(1) (Reply)

School Resumption Date: FG Gives New Guidelines On Re-opening Schools In Lagos / Single Mom Who Hawked Puff-Puff Bags First Class From University (Photos) / Why IDF Is Dreaded By The Arab World- Daily Mail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.