Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,214 members, 7,836,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance (1534 Views)

South African Politician’s Daughter Found Dead Four Days After Disappearance. / Army Accused Of Causing Disappearance Of Thousands In North-East (Video) / How Katsina Boy 'became Igbo' After Disappearance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by BabaRamota1980: 2:16am On Mar 09, 2019
Ukashatu was six years old when he was taken away by a strange woman. Found after eight years, he can now only communicate in Igbo language and pidgin. But how did this all happen?

the day 50-year-old Malama Daharatu, a beggar in Lagos, had earnestly prayed and waited for. It was the day she was reunited with her son Ukashatu, whom she lost about eight years ago.

In a chat with Daily Trust Saturday, Malama Daharatu of Rogogo area in Baure Local Government Area of Katsina State narrated how she lost Ukashatu. “It was one faithful Thursday night in an area called Bakin Masallaci in Orile, Lagos State. I sent him to dump refuse and since then I never saw him again until two weeks ago.

Daharatu, who is blind, said she went to Lagos pregnant with Ukashatu and started begging because of her condition. When she lost him, she, in the company of some friends, searched for him in hospitals and went to the police station all in vain.

On how she was able to get him back, Daharatu said, “I was at Maryland Mosque on that day. After the congregational prayer, we started begging and my phone rang. I was asked to come to the house we were staying in because some people brought Ukashatu. When I got there, I did not meet him because he had been taken to the police station. So, we went there with one Tasiu. To be sure he was my son, the police tested him. They told me to stand at a distance but he came directly to me and hugged me. We both started crying.

Malama Daharatu added that the police told her how they traced and got back her son through a Yoruba girl living in the same house with Ukashatu. The girl had complained to the police that the people she had been staying with for five years were maltreating her. When the police arrested Christiana (the mother of the house) and the house boys, they interrogated Ukashatu, who told them about himself. Luckily, he was able to answer their questions properly though he was six years old when he was abducted.

However, Malama Daharatu said after she was reconciled with her son, she did not bother to follow up on the case or ask what happened to Christiana.

Asked if she will stop begging in Lagos, she said she can’t because begging in Lagos is lucrative. But to be on the safe side, she had decided not to take her children with her again.

Daily Trust Saturday gathered that Malama Daharatu has been begging in Lagos for over 20 years, and only returns to Katsina for a week or some days before going back. On one of her journeys to Lagos, she had an accident and lost a leg.

After he was abducted, Ukashatu’s name was changed to Michael. When Daily Trust Saturday spoke to him, he said he can no longer speak Hausa and only communicates in Pidgin English and Igbo.

Ukashatu said: “On the day I went to dump refuse, a woman asked me to come and collect bread. She then said I should follow her to collect some rice also and so I did. From one house, we entered another and afterwards I could not tell what happened.

“Her name is Christiana Onuchukwu and her husband is Mathew. I met two other children in the house – Emmanuel and Ifeanyi. They brought a Yoruba girl later on.”

The couple told him that he is Igbo and that they were his parents. “They enrolled me in Goody Primary School where I am presently in JSS 2. They really took good care of me.” From then onwards, Ukashatu started going to church with them.

On how he was found, Ukashatu said, “the Yoruba girl told me that she wanted to run away because they were maltreating her and that I should keep quiet. So, she ran away and reported to the police. I just saw my mother when they brought me to the station and I can’t remember how I was able to recognize her. When the police asked me about my background, I told them that my mother is a beggar and she is blind.”

But what would Ukashatu integrate with his people now that he is unable to communicate in Hausa? “I am just happy that I am back to my people.”

Malam Kasimu Abdu, one of Ukashatu’s brothers, said since Ukashatu’s disappearance, they have been praying for him and never ceased until he was found. Unfortunately, Daily Trust Saturday was unable to speak to Ukashatu’s father.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/how-katsina-boy-became-igbo-after-disappearance.html

Re: How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by Nobody: 2:19am On Mar 09, 2019
This op
Re: How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by tobechi20(m): 3:26am On Mar 09, 2019
Good for him. He US now wise
Re: How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by ItsMeAboki(m): 3:39am On Mar 09, 2019
Lucky they didn't Cannibalise him.

4 Likes

Re: How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by BuhariAdvocate: 4:23am On Mar 09, 2019
shocked well the woman did something illegal but at least she take care of him she gave him education. there is hope that young ukashatu could become something in future if he still living with them .But now ukashatu future not looking bright to me because dude will not go back to school and nobody will take the responsibility of sponsor him.

5 Likes

Re: How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by BabaRamota1980: 4:35am On Mar 09, 2019
ItsMeAboki:
Lucky they didn't Cannibalise him.
Wallahi!

If say na back in Wawaland ukashatu go don to peppershatu. grin

1 Like

Re: How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by Nobody: 4:47am On Mar 09, 2019
BabaRamota1980:
[s]Ukashatu was six years old when he was taken away by a strange woman. Found after eight years, he can now only communicate in Igbo language and pidgin. But how did this all happen?

the day 50-year-old Malama Daharatu, a beggar in Lagos, had earnestly prayed and waited for. It was the day she was reunited with her son Ukashatu, whom she lost about eight years ago.

In a chat with Daily Trust Saturday, Malama Daharatu of Rogogo area in Baure Local Government Area of Katsina State narrated how she lost Ukashatu. “It was one faithful Thursday night in an area called Bakin Masallaci in Orile, Lagos State. I sent him to dump refuse and since then I never saw him again until two weeks ago.

Daharatu, who is blind, said she went to Lagos pregnant with Ukashatu and started begging because of her condition. When she lost him, she, in the company of some friends, searched for him in hospitals and went to the police station all in vain.

On how she was able to get him back, Daharatu said, “I was at Maryland Mosque on that day. After the congregational prayer, we started begging and my phone rang. I was asked to come to the house we were staying in because some people brought Ukashatu. When I got there, I did not meet him because he had been taken to the police station. So, we went there with one Tasiu. To be sure he was my son, the police tested him. They told me to stand at a distance but he came directly to me and hugged me. We both started crying.

Malama Daharatu added that the police told her how they traced and got back her son through a Yoruba girl living in the same house with Ukashatu. The girl had complained to the police that the people she had been staying with for five years were maltreating her. When the police arrested Christiana (the mother of the house) and the house boys, they interrogated Ukashatu, who told them about himself. Luckily, he was able to answer their questions properly though he was six years old when he was abducted.

However, Malama Daharatu said after she was reconciled with her son, she did not bother to follow up on the case or ask what happened to Christiana.

Asked if she will stop begging in Lagos, she said she can’t because begging in Lagos is lucrative. But to be on the safe side, she had decided not to take her children with her again.

Daily Trust Saturday gathered that Malama Daharatu has been begging in Lagos for over 20 years, and only returns to Katsina for a week or some days before going back. On one of her journeys to Lagos, she had an accident and lost a leg.

After he was abducted, Ukashatu’s name was changed to Michael. When Daily Trust Saturday spoke to him, he said he can no longer speak Hausa and only communicates in Pidgin English and Igbo.

Ukashatu said: “On the day I went to dump refuse, a woman asked me to come and collect bread. She then said I should follow her to collect some rice also and so I did. From one house, we entered another and afterwards I could not tell what happened.

“Her name is Christiana Onuchukwu and her husband is Mathew. I met two other children in the house – Emmanuel and Ifeanyi. They brought a Yoruba girl later on.”

The couple told him that he is Igbo and that they were his parents. “They enrolled me in Goody Primary School where I am presently in JSS 2. They really took good care of me.” From then onwards, Ukashatu started going to church with them.

On how he was found, Ukashatu said, “the Yoruba girl told me that she wanted to run away because they were maltreating her and that I should keep quiet. So, she ran away and reported to the police. I just saw my mother when they brought me to the station and I can’t remember how I was able to recognize her. When the police asked me about my background, I told them that my mother is a beggar and she is blind.”

But what would Ukashatu integrate with his people now that he is unable to communicate in Hausa? “I am just happy that I am back to my people.”

Malam Kasimu Abdu, one of Ukashatu’s brothers, said since Ukashatu’s disappearance, they have been praying for him and never ceased until he was found. Unfortunately, Daily Trust Saturday was unable to speak to Ukashatu’s father.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/how-katsina-boy-became-igbo-after-disappearance.htm[/s]l

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by Nobody: 5:04am On Mar 09, 2019
Story seems disjointed.... hearing from the police and the suspect would make more sense..

It's amazing a case like this, it's the beggar reporting and not the police even after quizzing the alleged yoruba girl, getting the boy back to his mother and arrested the suspect..

A six year old boy does not know how to speak hausa fluently at 6 despite being brought up in core Katsina and living in a hausa area of orile with a beggar mother who obviously speaks only hausa, but could tell the story of his kidnap perfectly after 8years?

No hausa speaking individual in the area despite going to school there for years and in lagos?

A yoruba girl was later brought in, no age given but she planned an escape whereas the boy alleged he goes to school daily and not locked up?

If the yoruba girl says she wanted to leave after 5 years but was brought way after the boy, in essence 3 years after you were brought in, with all the free hand and schooling in lagos, it took her five years to decide on leaving in her region of origin?

The story is really disjointed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by CharleyBright(m): 5:04am On Mar 09, 2019
OP, your Caption is meant to incite a clash of 3 tribes and this is needless.
The story itself is full of holes that are lies to me.
Firstly, a 6yrs old is big enough to know his mother very well and cannot be fooled by a stranger to shows up to claim she is his mother and abducts him for yrs. Besides who will want to abduct a 6yr old grown hausa boy to become his child?
Secondly, the story says the hausa boy was abducted at age 6, and after 8 yrs he can only speak Ibo and pidgin. How can a 6yr old boy lose his mother tongue so easily?
Thirdly, if the boy was abducted at age 6, how did they get his mother number to call to come collect her child 8 yrs after? Is it that the boy had his mother number all along and yet accepted to stay with his abductors or the girl suddenly produced his mothers number because she wants to run away?

The story is full of lies

4 Likes

Re: How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by Quality20(m): 5:19am On Mar 09, 2019
why can't igbos get children from extended family members or orphanage?

1 Like

Re: How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by Quality20(m): 5:22am On Mar 09, 2019
CharleyBright:
OP, your Caption is meant to incite a clash of 3 tribes and this is needless.
The story itself is full of holes that are lies to me.
Firstly, a 6yrs old is big enough to know his mother very well and cannot be fooled by a stranger to shows up to claim she is his mother and abducts him for yrs. Besides who will want to abduct a 6yr old grown hausa boy to become his child?
Secondly, the story says the hausa boy was abducted at age 6, and after 8 yrs he can only speak Ibo and pidgin. How can a 6yr old boy lose his mother tongue so easily?
Thirdly, if the boy was abducted at age 6, how did they get his mother number to call to come collect her child 8 yrs after? Is it that the boy had his mother number all along and yet accepted to stay with his abductors or the girl suddenly produced his mothers number because she wants to run away?

The story is full of lies
number could have been gotten from the house members of the begger and d boy been a begger child may not even have birth cert but just estimated age

1 Like

Re: How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by ItsMeAboki(m): 6:25am On Mar 09, 2019
BabaRamota1980:

Wallahi!

If say na back in Wawaland ukashatu go don to peppershatu. grin

Lol @ peppershatu cheesy grin
Re: How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by Born2Breed(f): 6:35am On Mar 09, 2019
What is it with this kidnapping and giving kids new identity.

The North kidnap underage Christian girls and marry them off.

The South West kidnap and use them for ritual.

South East kidnaps give them new identity,education and turn them slaves.
Re: How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by Bede2u(m): 7:07am On Mar 09, 2019
Born2Breed:
What is it with this kidnapping and giving kids new identity.

The North kidnap underage Christian girls and marry them off.

The South West kidnap and use them for ritual.

South East kidnaps give them new identity,education and turn them slaves.
first of all...u cant turn an educated person to slave...2nd the SE style is still better than the north and west style

1 Like

Re: How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by Born2Breed(f): 7:14am On Mar 09, 2019
Bede2u:
first of all...u cant turn an educated person to slave...2nd the SE style is still better than the north and west style

None is better. Maybe I should rephrase. Kidnap them, enslave them and give them education.
Re: How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by mu2sa2: 8:03am On Mar 09, 2019
Hmmmmmm, converted, and converted - to Christianity and Ipob!

1 Like

Re: How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by Xisnin(m): 11:04am On Mar 09, 2019
Fake news.
Re: How Katsina boy ‘became Igbo’ after disappearance by agadez007(m): 12:13pm On Mar 09, 2019
lucky him,he was found by an igbo if it were a yoruba,his head would have travelled to oshogbo,his private parts to ekiti and his intestines to Ibadam
fear yoruba people o,after skull miming for them it's amala and ewedu

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Fall For Loom (another Ponzi Scheme) Despite Losing Billions To MMM / Man Hangs Self After Losing Bet (photo) / How UBA And Customer Defrauded Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.