Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,300 members, 7,864,454 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 06:26 PM

Samsung Galaxy S10 Face Unlock Can Be Fooled By A Photo, Video, Or Look Alikes - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung Galaxy S10 Face Unlock Can Be Fooled By A Photo, Video, Or Look Alikes (566 Views)

Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? / Tecno Spark 2 With Face Unlock, 6 Inches 3500mah Battery: Specifications / Infinix Hot S3 Update Releases Face Unlock Feature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samsung Galaxy S10 Face Unlock Can Be Fooled By A Photo, Video, Or Look Alikes by Reediano(m): 4:21pm On Mar 11, 2019
The Samsung Galaxy S10 series is no doubt the most talked about phone of the year. One of the main selling point of the Galaxy S10s is the infinity "O" cutout display which ditches the famous display notch for a laser cutout which houses the front facing camera.
[img]https://2.bp..com/-JxOoKmBMU2Q/XIZ4bzDL8cI/AAAAAAAAafY/YX0OtZ-dSdQCTRLge7vwXk88Hbk9RpsHwCLcBGAs/s1600/IMG_20190311_152346.jpg[/img]
In other to achieve this, Samsung had to make a few sacrifices and one of them is ditching it's traditional iris face recognition unlock for a less secure Face ID which uses the front facing camera instead of a dedicated IR scanner like on the iPhones.

Camera based Face unlock has been known to be less secured compared to the IR Face unlock and this has been proven on multiple phones including the OnePlus 6t. Unfortunately, the one on the Galaxy S10 series is no exception. A couple of reports have surfaced online about the Face unlock on the Galaxy S10 being fooled by videos, still photos and even faces of look alikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGgQ9woZQOg&feature=youtu.be&t=137
Unbox Therapy who happens to be a very popular tech YouTuber recently posted a video which shows him unlocking his Galaxy S10+ with one of his YouTube videos being played from another smartphone at close range. An app developer was also able to unlock her brother's phone with her own face even though they aren't twins and there is also another case of the face recognition being fooled by a still photo.

In Samsung's defence though, the company already stated it that the face unlock is mainly for convenience over security and you still have the ultrasonic fingerprint scanner which is also known to be a bit slower and inconsistent compared to the traditional fingerprint reader.

https://www.yomitech.com/2019/03/samsung-galaxy-s10-face-unlocked-with-video.html
Re: Samsung Galaxy S10 Face Unlock Can Be Fooled By A Photo, Video, Or Look Alikes by bigdot1759(m): 4:29pm On Mar 11, 2019
If i tell people dat noting like security in technology some iPhone user will start to bluffing
Like a woman's son unlocked his mother's iphone just because they've same facial stuuf
Re: Samsung Galaxy S10 Face Unlock Can Be Fooled By A Photo, Video, Or Look Alikes by bigdot1759(m): 4:29pm On Mar 11, 2019
Fingerprints remain best
Re: Samsung Galaxy S10 Face Unlock Can Be Fooled By A Photo, Video, Or Look Alikes by ollah2: 6:06pm On Mar 11, 2019
bigdot1759:
If i tell people dat noting like security in technology some iPhone user will start to bluffing
Like a woman's son unlocked his mother's iphone just because they've same facial stuuf

Well, it's well written that it's not secured. It's just a fast method of unlocking your phone, for a proper security you should use the fingerprint.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S10 Face Unlock Can Be Fooled By A Photo, Video, Or Look Alikes by seunfly: 6:08pm On Mar 11, 2019
When I v not even seen the phone with my eyes let alone use my hand to touch it, some people already find fault in it. Abeg allow the money I'm saving reach first b4 u spoil the phone jare.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S10 Face Unlock Can Be Fooled By A Photo, Video, Or Look Alikes by MeshachMARTINS(m): 2:00am On Mar 12, 2019
seunfly:
When I v not even seen the phone with my eyes let alone use my hand to touch it, some people already find fault in it. Abeg allow the money I'm saving reach first b4 u spoil the phone jare.
wait for d note 10 grin

1 Like

Re: Samsung Galaxy S10 Face Unlock Can Be Fooled By A Photo, Video, Or Look Alikes by Patrick33(m): 7:09am On Mar 12, 2019
according to facts no Face unlock on any device is 100% reliable..all of them can be fooled,that saying good old password is the best.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S10 Face Unlock Can Be Fooled By A Photo, Video, Or Look Alikes by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 7:25am On Mar 12, 2019
I watched the video...
Lewis unlocked that the phone so easily...
But let's give kudos To Sammy for making the fingerprint scanner ultrasonic!!!

(1) (Reply)

Neatly Used Samsung S9+ For Sale / Iphone 6 For Sale 50k / Iphone X 64gb 170

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.