Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,432 members, 7,836,735 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis (1093 Views)

Romans 7 : The Flesh Test - Paul Ellis / Have I Committed The Unforgivable Sin? - Paul Ellis / 3 Reasons Why I Don't Preach On Repentance ( "Turn From Sin" ) - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 2:23pm On Mar 12, 2019
Who were the hardest working Christians in the Bible? The answer must surely be Paul and his friends, but many people will say it was the church at Ephesus. They say this because of what Jesus said in his letter to the church: “I know your deeds and toil” (Rev 2:2a).

Commentators make much of Jesus knowing the Ephesians’ deeds and toil, as though an impressed Lord was recording their labors in his scorebook. But the original word for know simply means “I see”. It’s not necessarily a commendation. In these letters, Jesus says, “I know” in regard to both good deeds (Rev. 2:19) and bad deeds (Rev. 3:1, 15).

When Jesus says, “I know” to the Ephesians, he’s saying “I care.” Because he loves us he is intimately acquainted with our lives. He knows what we’re doing. It’s a good thing that he knows, but it may not be a good thing that we’re doing, and this was the case with the Ephesians.

“I know your deeds and toil.” Many believe that Jesus was commending the Ephesians for their hard work, but the word toil means labors, extreme weariness, and beating. The Ephesians were taking a beating. They were working themselves to exhaustion. Why would the Lord commend them for that?

Jesus said, “Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest” (Matt. 11:28). The Ephesians were weary and heavy-laden. They were a busy church in a busy city. They were running all sorts of programs, ministries, and activities. They met every day of the week and twice on Sunday, and they were worn out.

Contrary to popular opinion, Jesus doesn’t commend the Ephesians for working themselves into a miserable state. He does not say, “Well done you good and hard-working servants.” But nor does he rebuke them for working too hard. He simply says, “I’m aware of how hard you are working.” He’s building up to something, and it is this. “You have left your first love” (Rev 2:4).

Your first love is not your love for God; it is God’s love for you. He is the Source and the Supply of all agape love. To say the Ephesians had left their first love, is to recognize they were no longer abiding in the love of God. Like the prodigal son, they had walked away from their Father’s love.

That Jesus would speak of the Ephesians’ labor and lost love speaks volumes. These guys had too much going on. Living in the busiest city in Asia, they were burning the candle at both ends and burning themselves out in the process.

By working ourselves to distraction and by trying to earn what God freely provides, we can find ourselves far from the love of God. He certainly has not stopped love us, but we don’t feel the love. We feel beaten down, exhausted, bone-weary. Happily, there is a remedy.

Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first. (Rev 2:5)

What the Ephesians were doing (working hard) was getting in the way of what they weren’t doing (receiving from Jesus), which is why Jesus tells them to stop what they’re doing and return to what they did before. This is a message for all weary Christians: Stop what you’re doing and do what you did at first.

What deeds did we do at first?

You enjoyed Jesus. When you first entered the kingdom you may have done nothing at all except recline at his feet. “Do that,” says the Lord. “Stop trying to give to me and receive from me. Follow Mary who sat rather than Martha who stressed.”

Sadly, this is not the recommendation you will hear from those who elevate works above grace. “Doing what you did at first means praying and studying the word and evangelizing with the enthusiasm you had when you first came to Jesus.” In other words, the hard-working Ephesians need to work even harder and so do you. “Through hard work we prove our love and maintain our good standing with God.” Beware this graceless message! The mindless pursuit of religious busyness—even good works done in the name of Jesus—will distract you from the love of God. You’ll end up with toiling in the kitchen instead of reclining with Jesus in the lounge.

The takeaway, the cure, the ticket to freedom

If you are worn out from doing the Lord’s work, you can probably relate to the Ephesians. They were a hard-working bunch of believers, but they were dying on the inside. They were busy building, but their labor was in vain.

Why do we push ourselves past breaking point? It can happen because we’ve forgotten how much God loves us. We think we have to prove ourselves or come up with the goods, but none of this pressure is from the Lord.

You were made to receive your Father’s love. Lose sight of your Father’s love for you and you will lose your way. You’ll fall from the secure place of grace into the realm of dead works. You’ll become restless, insecure, and empty on the inside. You’ll try to replace his love with lesser things.

If the Ephesians could leave the love of God, anyone can. But the good news is those who wander can come home again. If you have lost your first love, Jesus shows us the way back: Remember, repent (change your thinking), and do what you did at first. Go back to the place of your first love, when Jesus was your everything. Make every effort to enter his rest and let nothing move you.

https://escapetoreality.org/2019/02/21/are-you-working-too-hard-for-jesus/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by FredrickPablo(m): 3:24pm On Mar 12, 2019
I think your postulation is rather misplaced though well intended. The Lord wouldn't have explicitly recognised the efforts of the church at Ephesus, if he hadn't implicit confidence in their dedication & commitment.

Suffice it to say that as long as we as believing Christians remain here on earth, waiting for our promised time of translation into eternal glory, our knowledge especially of revelatory prophecies can never be absolute.

Therefore, until we know as we are known, the best is to focus more on perfecting our on works in our own time rather pontificate on the records of our saintly fathers of faith.
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:20pm On Mar 12, 2019
Good evening Lord Jesus
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:19pm On Mar 12, 2019
Lord Jesus
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:55am On Mar 13, 2019
Morning
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by Nobody: 8:45am On Mar 13, 2019
jiggaz:
Who were the hardest working Christians in the Bible? The answer must surely be Paul and his friends, but many people will say it was the church at Ephesus. They say this because of what Jesus said in his letter to the church: “I know your deeds and toil” (Rev 2:2a).

Commentators make much of Jesus knowing the Ephesians’ deeds and toil, as though an impressed Lord was recording their labors in his scorebook. But the original word for know simply means “I see”. It’s not necessarily a commendation. In these letters, Jesus says, “I know” in regard to both good deeds (Rev. 2:19) and bad deeds (Rev. 3:1, 15).

When Jesus says, “I know” to the Ephesians, he’s saying “I care.” Because he loves us he is intimately acquainted with our lives. He knows what we’re doing. It’s a good thing that he knows, but it may not be a good thing that we’re doing, and this was the case with the Ephesians.

“I know your deeds and toil.” Many believe that Jesus was commending the Ephesians for their hard work, but the word toil means labors, extreme weariness, and beating. The Ephesians were taking a beating. They were working themselves to exhaustion. Why would the Lord commend them for that?

Jesus said, “Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest” (Matt. 11:28). The Ephesians were weary and heavy-laden. They were a busy church in a busy city. They were running all sorts of programs, ministries, and activities. They met every day of the week and twice on Sunday, and they were worn out.

Contrary to popular opinion, Jesus doesn’t commend the Ephesians for working themselves into a miserable state. He does not say, “Well done you good and hard-working servants.” But nor does he rebuke them for working too hard. He simply says, “I’m aware of how hard you are working.” He’s building up to something, and it is this. “You have left your first love” (Rev 2:4).

Your first love is not your love for God; it is God’s love for you. He is the Source and the Supply of all agape love. To say the Ephesians had left their first love, is to recognize they were no longer abiding in the love of God. Like the prodigal son, they had walked away from their Father’s love.

That Jesus would speak of the Ephesians’ labor and lost love speaks volumes. These guys had too much going on. Living in the busiest city in Asia, they were burning the candle at both ends and burning themselves out in the process.

By working ourselves to distraction and by trying to earn what God freely provides, we can find ourselves far from the love of God. He certainly has not stopped love us, but we don’t feel the love. We feel beaten down, exhausted, bone-weary. Happily, there is a remedy.

Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first. (Rev 2:5)

What the Ephesians were doing (working hard) was getting in the way of what they weren’t doing (receiving from Jesus), which is why Jesus tells them to stop what they’re doing and return to what they did before. This is a message for all weary Christians: Stop what you’re doing and do what you did at first.

You enjoyed Jesus. When you first entered the kingdom you may have done nothing at all except recline at his feet. “Do that,” says the Lord. “Stop trying to give to me and receive from me. Follow Mary who sat rather than Martha who stressed.”

Sadly, this is not the recommendation you will hear from those who elevate works above grace. “Doing what you did at first means praying and studying the word and evangelizing with the enthusiasm you had when you first came to Jesus.” In other words, the hard-working Ephesians need to work even harder and so do you. “Through hard work we prove our love and maintain our good standing with God.” Beware this graceless message! The mindless pursuit of religious busyness—even good works done in the name of Jesus—will distract you from the love of God. You’ll end up with toiling in the kitchen instead of reclining with Jesus in the lounge.

If you are worn out from doing the Lord’s work, you can probably relate to the Ephesians. They were a hard-working bunch of believers, but they were dying on the inside. They were busy building, but their labor was in vain.

Why do we push ourselves past breaking point? It can happen because we’ve forgotten how much God loves us. We think we have to prove ourselves or come up with the goods, but none of this pressure is from the Lord.

You were made to receive your Father’s love. Lose sight of your Father’s love for you and you will lose your way. You’ll fall from the secure place of grace into the realm of dead works. You’ll become restless, insecure, and empty on the inside. You’ll try to replace his love with lesser things.

If the Ephesians could leave the love of God, anyone can. But the good news is those who wander can come home again. If you have lost your first love, Jesus shows us the way back: Remember, repent (change your thinking), and do what you did at first. Go back to the place of your first love, when Jesus was your everything. Make every effort to enter his rest and let nothing move you.

very true
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:36am On Mar 13, 2019
solite3:
very true
yes oo my bro.... How are you doing?
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by Nobody: 12:23pm On Mar 13, 2019
jiggaz:
yes oo my bro.... How are you doing?
I m doing fine and you?
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 5:25pm On Mar 13, 2019
solite3:
I m doing fine and you?
am good.
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:54pm On Mar 13, 2019
Lord Jesus
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:31pm On Mar 14, 2019
Evening
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:10pm On Mar 20, 2019
Evening nnn
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:44pm On Mar 21, 2019
Evening
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by budaatum: 2:06am On Mar 22, 2019
jiggaz:
W

He simply says, “I’m aware of how hard you are working.” He’s building up to something, and it is this. “You have left your first love” (Rev 2:4).

So, work much harder at the right job!
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 11:30pm On Mar 22, 2019
Now
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:59pm On Mar 23, 2019
Nownnn
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 12:10pm On Dec 22, 2019
Lord Jesus Christ
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 5:35pm On Dec 22, 2019
Good evening
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:46pm On May 16, 2020
Thank you Lord Jesus...
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:04am On May 17, 2020
Right
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:30am On May 17, 2020
Are you?
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by Nobody: 9:58am On May 17, 2020
jiggaz:

Amen. God bless you for this bro Jiggaz.
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 11:14am On May 17, 2020
Eulalia:

Amen. God bless you for this bro Jiggaz.
Thank you my dear.

1 Like

Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by Nobody: 11:17am On May 17, 2020
jiggaz:
Thank you my dear.

You're welcome, Sir. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:03pm On May 17, 2020
Thank you Lord Jesus
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:54am On May 18, 2020
Good morning
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:44am On Jun 25, 2020
jiggaz:
Good morning
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:36pm On Jul 29, 2020
jiggaz:
Thank you Lord Jesus
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:10pm On Apr 09, 2021
Yes Lord
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 11:04am On Apr 10, 2021
Now
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 3:57pm On Apr 10, 2021
Great
Re: Are You Working Too Hard For Jesus? Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:20pm On May 01, 2021
Lord Jesus

(1) (2) (Reply)

RCCG And Multiplication Of Branches / RCCG Founder House / Letter From Satan To Humans Written In 1676 Has Finally Been Translated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.