Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,304 members, 7,836,320 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) (90430 Views)

Photos Of The Collapsed Ebute Metta Building Before Collapse / Oluwo Of Iwo & Femi Osibona At Building Weeks Before Collapse (Photos) / Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by chloride6: 10:01am On Mar 14, 2019
Miketonia:

Ur mind is too narrow for the simple physics explanation

undecided undecided undecided undecided

Gerrahere

The building was weak finish
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by na2016: 10:06am On Mar 14, 2019
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
kingthreatz:

Na from the painting?

Have you done anything on vibrations? until you do, you maybe silent and learn to read between the lines before you attack someone.
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by DMerciful(m): 10:07am On Mar 14, 2019
You used an adjectival phrase 'properly structured'.....I'm saying it's a possibility if a school was not there it may not have collapsed inspite of its weakness. Everything is just speculation until full investigation is carried out!
ugo227:

Resonance has nothing to do with it, it was a substandard job in the first place. No amount of resonance can collapse a properly structured building.
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by coolestchris(m): 10:10am On Mar 14, 2019
henry49:
Compare logically: School for kindagarten or little kids vs public residential building with water tanks and electric generator sets!
tat not withstanding primary problems are increase in live load, others could be inadequate reinforcement strength and inadequate concrete mix ratio
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by kingthreatz: 10:10am On Mar 14, 2019
na2016:
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

Have you done anything on vibrations? until you do, you maybe silent and learn to read between the lines before you attack someone.

If the house is a good structure, it would withstand the vibrations.
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by Derajeth(m): 10:11am On Mar 14, 2019
[color=#770077][/color]
Isn't that building originally designed for residential? I weep for this country.
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by nwanyionitsha: 10:14am On Mar 14, 2019
donstan18:
Why do I have the feelings that the initial plan and foundation of that building was not actually for 3 storey.
That is how they convert bungalow over there.

1 Like

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by Nobody: 10:15am On Mar 14, 2019
coolestchris:
tat not withstanding primary problems are increase in live load, others could be inadequate reinforcement strength and inadequate concrete mix ratio
OK!
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by Myself2(m): 10:19am On Mar 14, 2019
donstan18:
Why do I have the feelings that the initial plan and foundation of that building was not actually for 3 storey.

Could be, could also be that it's for 3 storeys but not properly done, material and procedure wise.

OMG I feel so sad and heartbroken. May God accept the souls of the children

1 Like

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by molybdenum0012: 10:20am On Mar 14, 2019
God help us.

Meanwhile

Is your child lagging behind in school? Do you want to prepare for a standardized exams and need help of an expert tutor? Do not look further, just look below.
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by wizalpha(m): 10:20am On Mar 14, 2019
Where was God that creates those children? Some will say is their time or that's how God want it. #ReligiousSickCountry
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by na2016: 10:21am On Mar 14, 2019
kingthreatz:

My friend read my message well, I used "suspect" doesn't that tell you that a combination of causes would have led to the collapse?
What do you know about a good structure? Have respect for the lost souls and stop pressing for what you dont know!
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by okpaire(m): 10:22am On Mar 14, 2019
DMerciful:
How can a school be in a top floor building of this nature? Have you heard of resonance and forced vibrations? Children following a particular rhythm can cause resonance!

I weak for d engineer oh
or maybe using it as a school was not d initial plan or maybe d foundation was not initially built for 3 storey
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by 2LESS(m): 10:24am On Mar 14, 2019
DMerciful:
Resonance causes structures to fail if the natural vibrating frequency of the body or structure is amplified by a close body moving at same frequency. Children tends to move their feet when they are singing nursery rhymes and their general playfulness. Being at the top floor amplifies movement due to distance from the foundation so this could be a reason however I'm not ruling a combination of building weakness and possible resonance. When a building drops miraculously, it's like a microwave energy impacted it.
Some have attributed this resonance effect to the fall of the Jericho wall.
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by okpaire(m): 10:25am On Mar 14, 2019
kingthreatz:

maybe d engineer didn't take it into consideration during d design stage.
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by Nobody: 10:25am On Mar 14, 2019
coolestchris:
may their soul rest in peace . .
lemme teach nairaland members as a practicing civil engineer..
this building was built with a design to serve as a residential building but was converted to a school..
the implications is that the live loads has been increased from the designed loads..
that is why the building was cancelled..
so the people who went ahead to allow such conversion of purpose for the building should be brought to book.
in such cases the civil engineer is exonerated
lets not exonerate d engineer yet, let a test be done to confirm if d soil was meant to carry three storey building cos there are different soil strength for different buildings. Also d residents have their own faults cos d building must have given warnings in terms of cracks. Its a pity most people Dont understand d meaning of cracks in buildings
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by sinkhole: 10:25am On Mar 14, 2019
sammyj:
angry sad Just imagine how cruel people could be in this country.Heaven help those that help themselves. How can you put children in such a weak and defected structure with a penthouse!!
This is just what I can not comprehend! Your own child o, I can't even put my enemy's child in that place
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by Nobody: 10:26am On Mar 14, 2019
When you cover the world with fine rapper, it will look like the world is good..

Smh
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by DMerciful(m): 10:26am On Mar 14, 2019
Yeah...When we were in secondary school, that's what we were saying in JETS club cheesy
2LESS:

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by okpaire(m): 10:27am On Mar 14, 2019
2LESS:

during resonance, the natural frequency coincides with the forced frequency and the vibrations is amplified
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by Baselm: 10:27am On Mar 14, 2019
coolestchris:
did u go in to see if there were not defects in the structural members

Did you? That is why I maintain that only a full investigation can reveal the cause of the collapse. The live load you mentioned can of course be a contributory factor, but as an engineer you wouldn't question the benefit of a full investigation.
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by 9gerian: 10:29am On Mar 14, 2019
The building looks like one of those “developers constructed” type of house. Most of who cut corners with required building materials...

Sad!
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by foreshore(m): 10:32am On Mar 14, 2019
Dandsome:
The ground floor was the crèche/KG.
The third floor was the primary school

First and second floors were residential.

May the dead RIP

See before and after of the location

So sad!!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by 9gerian: 10:37am On Mar 14, 2019
Live loads and exoneration bawo shocked angry

I suspect that you built this building. What happened to safety factors and other requisite allowances for live and dead loads?

What of soil tests to know the load bearing capacity and apply the appropriate foundation type and column size?

That the school was wrongly situated is another kettle of fish that needs to be dealt with separately.

Please stop this joke o.

There are plenty engineers on this forum biko...

PS
The only other angle that may exonerate the engineer is if the reported drilling and construction in the area had caused so much vibration that it affected the nearby buildings foundations. In such a case, most of the other houses in that area need to be tested and certified ok, else it is only a matter of time...

coolestchris:
may their soul rest in peace . .
lemme teach nairaland members as a practicing civil engineer..
this building was built with a design to serve as a residential building but was converted to a school..
the implications is that the live loads has been increased from the designed loads..
that is why the building was cancelled..
so the people who went ahead to allow such conversion of purpose for the building should be brought to book.
in such cases the civil engineer is exonerated
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by AreaFada2: 10:40am On Mar 14, 2019
donstan18:
Most multi-storey buildings in Lagos suburbs were initially bungalows or just one storey.

When those houses were first built, it was not beconomically viable to build storey buildings. Most did not even have the money to. But with time those areas opened up, rents shot up drastically and landlords or those who inherited it now seek to make more money.

Baba Basira the bricklayer will now give quotation of the cost, claiming to have easily done dozens before.

And bang you see storey buildings awkward like tiny electric poles shooting up.

Oh well, enemy, village people and the devil are always there to blame.
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by SEGLIZ: 10:40am On Mar 14, 2019
Miketonia:

Ur mind is too narrow for the simple physics explanation

ibeg forget physics, everything Nigeria is now substandard this is not disrespecting or abusing your knowledge and understanding of physics or the subject physics but the truth is Nigeria has lost value.
I in my premises there are bricks of about 3years that keep crumbling by the day, the day it was being molded I over the owner telling the molder to make 50 bricks out of a bag of cement, the molder suggested probably 40 or 45 tell me how a building constructed out of such brick won't give way.
the brick has been there since then unused, go close to it the alone the brick crumbs. tell if such brick is used for building what would happen. by stand in Nigeria it ought to be a bag of cement to 25 bricks if I'm not mistaken. another is my landlady son-in-laws house, his children confirmed lizard mere crawling or climbing the unplastered wall the lizard and sands on the wall come falling to ground. this is what we have.
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by kingthreatz: 10:45am On Mar 14, 2019
na2016:

My friend read my message well, I used "suspect" doesn't that tell you that a combination of causes would have led to the collapse?
What do you know about a good structure? Have respect for the lost souls and stop pressing for what you dont know!

Negro go smoke some lizard poop. Fact I wanted to paint is that incompetence of the engineers caused this. While you're here saying vibrations. Isn't that supposed to be taken into account while building a 3-storey building? Address incompetence for what it is, if you like keep saying vibrations like the ones you experience in ur bumhole. Bye
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by na2016: 10:47am On Mar 14, 2019
kingthreatz:

Negro go smoke some lizard poop. Fact I wanted to paint is that incompetence of the engineers caused this. While you're here saying vibrations. Isn't that supposed to be taken into account while building a 3-storey building? Address incompetence for what it is, if you like keep saying vibrations like the ones you experience in ur bumhole. Bye

At this moment I have to be silent at you, cos you dont even know what you are saying!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by kingthreatz: 10:52am On Mar 14, 2019
na2016:

At this moment I have to be silent at you, cos you dont even know what you are saying!!

I do. You're the nincompoop
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by TruthinAction: 10:56am On Mar 14, 2019
I don't understand the pictures. The second picture showing the collapse building have crowd standing on it. This can cause more loss of life. No one except the rescue team should be seen very close to the building. It seems we don't have safety regulations in rescue operation. When will Nigeria grow?
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by UncleJudax(m): 11:01am On Mar 14, 2019
donstan18:
Very possible. This is Nigeria they say.

Human life is so cheap in that country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerchin, Kabelmetal And Coleman Cables, / Architectural Design At It Best (smart Homese) / Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.