Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,178 members, 7,839,013 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

I Have No Quarrel With 9ice, We Are More Like Brothers – Isolate - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / I Have No Quarrel With 9ice, We Are More Like Brothers – Isolate (1618 Views)

Toni Payne Gushes Over Her Union With 9ice, Says They Made A Great Team / Chidinma Looks More Like ''sister Mary'' At Flavour's Manager's White Wedding / Photos:don Jazzy ,wizkid,tiwa Savage,vector Celebrate Birthday With 9ice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Have No Quarrel With 9ice, We Are More Like Brothers – Isolate by oladayo042: 6:46am On Sep 04, 2010
Akanwo Adetutu, popularly known as Isolate, is a musician and an actor. He speaks with Ademola Olonilua on his alleged misunderstanding with 9ice, his relationship with the late Da Grin, his music and his life in this interview. How did you come about the name Isolate?

I got it when I was in secondary school. I was a very quiet person and I always sat at the back seat, watching everybody‘s movement for the day without participating. I used to be a very quiet and neat student. One day one of my friends walked up to me and said I was too quiet, that I don‘t talk, instead, I isolate myself from everybody around me. Checking my behaviour and my character, I am different; the way I react, the way I live my life, so I decided to adopt the name, I went to the dictionary to know the actual meaning, and I got to find out that the definition matched my character that was how I adopted the name Isolate.

How did you get into music?

I started music professionally in 2000. Music originally started for me when I was in church. I was in the choir of my church, Celestial Church of Christ. I discovered I had an husky voice that could go for a lead vocal as a singer. Then I did a lot of back up for juju and fuji artistes. I recorded my first single in 2000; that was what set the pace for me as an artiste. One day I sat and thought that since I have been doing back up for other artistes and I had a passion for music, I could as well go professional.

Why did you choose to go into Yoruba proverbial lyrics?

I chose it because I discovered that my language is very important to me. I decided to pick my culture, which is deep in proverbs and make something unique out of it. We have a lot of Yoruba people all over the world. Whenever they hear my music, I want them to be able to relate with it and think of home. I infused my mother tongue with hip-hop to make it unique and danceableo. That was the main reason I chose Yoruba proverbial lyrics with an infusion of hip-hop to make it sound nice to my people.

Speaking of 9ice, people are of the opinion that you are imitating him.

I have been trying to correct that impression, but people still emphasise it. I would not say much on it. All I know is that it is good to be unique and create your own style, for me I am not trying to sound like anybody, I am Isolate. I am different and unique like my stage name implies. I would say the main reason people say that is because we both infuse Yoruba proverbial lyrics with hip-hop; that is why people choose to call me a photocopy but I am not, I am me.

Also, there are speculations that the 9ice track, Photocopy was intended for you. Is that true?

I would say yes, I do not see it to be a very important thing. When people listen to my voice or my music they would think it is 9ice, which is not supposed to be that is why I sang a song Ebiti, three years ago in response to people, to let them know that I do not sound like anybody other than myself.

But it was rumored that you sang the song in response to photocopy, to diss him.

No I did not; it was just to correct people‘s impression. I wanted them to know that we had so many people using Yoruba proverbial lyrics to sing. We have the likes of Obey, Sunny Ade, Lagbaja; people have being using Yoruba proverbial lyrics before us, the only difference is that we infused ours with hip-hop. All I was trying to do is correct the misconception not abuse anybody.

Right now, what is your relationship with 9ice. Would you collaborate on a song with him in the near future?

If it calls for, I would do, but for now nothing. I am fine with him. We are from the same town; I am from Oyo State, Ogbomoso Agbole Eleshin Meta California. He is like my brother so I don‘t have any reason to diss him, he has been there doing his music, kudos to him; he is my colleague in the entertainment industry so I have to have that respect for him. Other than that there is nothing; I am cool with him.

You were on a track on the late Da Grin‘s album. What was it like working with him?

It was a very vital experience for me. It was a great experience. Da Grin was intelligent and evergreen. He was different and unique. We chose to come together because of one thing. He listened to my song and acknowledged the fact that I had my own style. We became best of friends, he was a very good friend to me and I really miss him.

You sang a tribute to Da Grin; what makes yours any different from the ones other artistes have done?

Yes, I have two singles out now; the first is Party Avenue and the second is Tribute to Da Grin. A lot of people have waxed tributes to Da Grin, but they do not know what a tribute entails. It should not be a party song; it should be sober song so I decided to do a tribute song for my friend.

The song is a sober song, an explanatory song about what I know about him. Both songs would be on my on coming album, The Secret.

Can you say he was one of the people that made you known in the Nigerian music scene with the song you collaborated with him?

No, I would not say so. Before then I had featured in a hit song, Binu Binu, I would say that was the song that brought me to limelight. Also the song I had a song Ara online that helped alongside Ebiti, the song I sang in response to a major hit which is Photocopy on the 9ice album.

How did you delve from music to acting?

When I finished from my secondary school, I went for a practical course where I studied drama and cinematography with script writing. I went to the school under Afeesco Films. From there I started featuring in the movies. I initially went for music but it occurred to me that singing, performing on stage is almost the same as acting. So I decided to go for acting to improve myself and to make people know what I am good in.

You featured mostly in Yoruba movies; can you also do English movies?

I can do Yoruba and English movies, there is no difference. The same amount of work and energy I would put in Yoruba movie is the same I would to English. I can do them both. I can also do soap operas, series, everything.

What was your growing up like?

I would not say it was rosy. The road has been so rough and narrow. We have been pushing it all these years and that is what we are still on. Glory be to God for everything. It was hectic. I lost my dad in 2006. I am the only child of my parent; I only have my mother now. As an only child I never enjoyed. I left home to pursue my career. My mother supports me with everything.

Tell us a challenge you have faced as an artiste?

I just dropped my single, Ara, I went for a performance at Ebute-Meta, they called me for the show. When I got to the stage to perform, the compact disc I burned my music to was a new one I gave to the DJ to play, but each time I wanted to sing, he would not play my song. It was later I realised that some people had bought drinks to bribe the DJ not to play my song because they felt I was a threat to them and their artiste. They bribed the DJ not to play my song. I was so embarrassed.

How do you get to manage your fans, especially the female ones?

I would say we cannot do without our fans both male and females because they are the market. They are the one who would purchase our CDs and listen to our song. The females are like the major backbone of an artiste; we can‘t just do without them. I use my common sense to relate with them.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100904152353

Re: I Have No Quarrel With 9ice, We Are More Like Brothers – Isolate by tunde300us(m): 9:49pm On Sep 06, 2010
I have listened to some of this guys song and i think he sure sound like Nice,or rather he is living under Nice's image and i dont think that will change in no distance future.
But he surely has some good songs sha .

(1) (Reply)

What Drew J.lo To A Tattooed 24-year-old. (see Pics) / photo- Funke Akindele Rocks Out In Shorts / M.I Abaga Adds New Bently To His Assets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.