Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:45 PM

Advice Needed!!! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Advice Needed!!! (965 Views)

Quiting My Job To Venture Into Tech At 28 - Advice Needed. / Ethical Hacking Vs Software Engineering: Advice Needed / Advice Needed On Which Niit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed!!! by Clefayomide: 9:40am On Mar 19, 2019
Good day everyone, please I need your advice on this

I'm a student of history and international studies, will be done by next year. Although have always wanted to be in the science field but I wasn't given the opportunity.
So I intend to go for a science related course preferably computer science when I'm done with the Bsc history and international studies next year, cos I have a passion for I.T.
So now my questions are:
1. Is it a good decision?
2. Will I be able to cope being someone with an art background?

Please advise from everyone is welcome, especially those in computer science/ programming field

Pls moderator kindly help me move this to front page. Thanks
Re: Advice Needed!!! by Clefayomide: 9:50am On Mar 19, 2019
Cc
Kodewrita
Re: Advice Needed!!! by stanliwise(m): 10:15am On Mar 19, 2019
Clefayomide:

I'm a student of history and international studies, will be done by next year. Although have always wanted to be in the science field but I wasn't given the opportunity.
So I intend to go for a science related course preferably computer science when I'm done with the Bsc history and international studies next year, cos I have a passion for I.T.
So now my questions are:

Please advise from everyone is welcome, especially those in computer science/ programming field

I can't tell you what to do but here is this.

If you have a very good computer skill needed in a company then it is a nice idea to get a backup certificate.

Also maybe your parent or relative have an IT company and you really like the pay and think you can get a chance grin then run quickly and acquire some IT cert and skills.

If you're just starting out, then I don't think anyone needs a certificate to learn.

my two cent
Re: Advice Needed!!! by Clefayomide: 10:46am On Mar 19, 2019
stanliwise:
I can't tell you what to do but here is this.

If you have a very good computer skill needed in a company then it is a nice idea to get a backup certificate.

Also maybe your parent or relative have an IT company and you really like the pay and think you can get a chance grin then run quickly and acquire some IT cert and skills.

If you're just starting out, then I don't think anyone needs a certificate to learn.

my two cent

Thanks for your input sir

I initially was taking few tutorials on web design, but I got stuck on JavaScript, maybe cos of it's complexity unlike HTML and CSS which are just markup language and style sheet respectively.
So I reasoned going for a computer science course will help me to be well grounded in the field and further into the more advanced level.

And no, non of my family own an I.T company. I might be the first, u know grin
Re: Advice Needed!!! by stanliwise(m): 6:34pm On Mar 19, 2019
Clefayomide:

Thanks for your input sir

I initially was taking few tutorials on web design, but I got stuck on JavaScript, maybe cos of it's complexity unlike HTML and CSS which are just markup language and style sheet respectively.
So I reasoned going for a computer science course will help me to be well grounded in the field and further into the more advanced level.

And no, non of my family own an I.T company. I might be the first, u know grin
Hahahhahahaha grin grin forgive my manners, I am a CSC graduate. The small JS, HTML and CSS are the practical applications of the theoretical concept you will learn in computer science class.
I bet you will know JavaScript more than most of my lecturers and you will be surprised that many cannot check email properly although they are very vast in theory, computation, mathematical concept of computation and can give you better solutions to any problem you find in programming but many of them cannot make any real app using code except the one that go and learn it separately.
I hope you catch my drift??

I can offer to do consultancy grin job for you and answer all your JavaScript problem one on one through WhatsApp all for a token, my number is 0-8-1-7-2-8-3-3-0-7-3 I have been a programmer for quite a while, so I have mastered many languages.

But If you're not interested or you need formal environment then quickly register with a hub e.g Andela and pace up your progress.
Then start a lone journey of becoming a full stack by doing real life project.
Re: Advice Needed!!! by kodewrita(m): 8:33am On Mar 21, 2019
Clefayomide:

So now my questions are:

Hi Ayomide.

The short answer is: Yes you can.

The longer answer is: You can enter the IT field in a number of ways. Coding is one way but the IT field is really wide and has needs for a lot of other professionals. With your background in the social sciences, you would be a great fit for any number of skillsets including (and not limited to ) project management, product management, risk and controls, IT business analysis, system integration, IT presales, service administration, service design or even UI/UX analysis.

I'd suggest you just visit udacity or edx and take entry level/basic awareness courses in each of those areas. Or you can visit youtube and do basic searches like "What is UI/UX?" and watch the intro videos just to get a feel for the specific areas.

Once you find an interesting area, then you can dive deep.

I'm just saying, don't limit yourself to coding only (Do it if that's what you really want and yes, it is possible to do it).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed!!! by Clefayomide: 10:49am On Mar 21, 2019
kodewrita:

Hi Ayomide.

The short answer is: Yes you can.

The longer answer is: You can enter the IT field in a number of ways. Coding is one way but the IT field is really wide and has needs for a lot of other professionals. With your background in the social sciences, you would be a great fit for any number of skillsets including (and not limited to ) project management, product management, risk and controls, IT business analysis, system integration, IT presales, service administration, service design or even UI/UX analysis.

I'd suggest you just visit udacity or edx and take entry level/basic awareness courses in each of those areas. Or you can visit youtube and do basic searches like "What is UI/UX?" and watch the intro videos just to get a feel for the specific areas.

Once you find an interesting area, then you can dive deep.

I'm just saying, don't limit yourself to coding only (Do it if that's what you really want and yes, it is possible to do it).

I really appreciate your input sir. I love the fact that you've been able to motivate me and giving me options to look into, it means alot sir. I will look into this options and try to know which one is best for me. Thanks. Try have a nice day sir

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed!!! by Clefayomide: 10:52am On Mar 21, 2019
stanliwise:
Hahahhahahaha grin grin forgive my manners, I am a CSC graduate. The small JS, HTML and CSS are the practical applications of the theoretical concept you will learn in computer science class.
I bet you will know JavaScript more than most of my lecturers and you will be surprised that many cannot check email properly although they are very vast in theory, computation, mathematical concept of computation and can give you better solutions to any problem you find in programming but many of them cannot make any real app using code except the one that go and learn it separately.
I hope you catch my drift??

I can offer to do consultancy grin job for you and answer all your JavaScript problem one on one through WhatsApp all for a token, my number is 0-8-1-7-2-8-3-3-0-7-3 I have been a programmer for quite a while, so I have mastered many languages.

But If you're not interested or you need formal environment then quickly register with a hub e.g Andela and pace up your progress.
Then start a lone journey of becoming a full stack by doing real life project.

Okay sir, thanks for your time. Will look into your suggestions. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

I Need Someone To Help Me With Stripe Form Automation / Senior Front End Designer/developer Needed In Enugu, Nigeria. / Can U Create An Admob Self Click App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.