Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,276 members, 7,811,805 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:06 PM

Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) (7572 Views)

First Underwater Tennis Stadium In Dubai / Over 800 People Trapped In Cruise Ship Chaos In Norway (Photos) / ₦18million Per Night: The Luxury Underwater Hotel Rooms In Maldives(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Explorers(m): 5:25pm On Mar 21, 2019
The first, the largest and the most research-friendly.

Under is the world’s largest underwater restaurant with a total seating capacity for 100 guests, it’s the first of its kind in Europe, and it also functions as a research center for marine life.

The Snøhetta-designed dining experience started operating just yesterday but people are already adding it to their Norway destination lists.

In Norwegian, ‘under’ means both ‘below’ and ‘wonder.’

Half-sunken into the sea, the building’s 111-foot long monolithic form breaks the surface of the water to rest on the seabed below.

Taking it a step further, the structure is built to eventually fully integrate into its marine environment, as the roughness of the concrete shell will function as an artificial reef, welcoming limpets and kelp to inhabit it.

https://www.boredpanda.com/europe-first-underwater-restaurant-under-snohetta-norway/?cexp_id=16841&cexp_var=0&_f=featured
Lalasticlala, Mynd44

1 Like

Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Explorers(m): 5:25pm On Mar 21, 2019
Thick concrete walls allow it to withstand pressure and shock from the rugged sea conditions and, like a sunken periscope, the restaurant’s massive panoramic window offers a view of the seabed as it changes throughout the seasons and varying weather conditions.

“In this building, you may find yourself underwater, over the seabed, between land and sea.

This will offer you new perspectives and ways of seeing the world, both beyond and beneath the waterline.”

Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Explorers(m): 5:25pm On Mar 21, 2019
In Norway, Lindesnes is known for its intense weather conditions, which can change from calm to stormy several times a day.

Upon arriving at the site, the visitor’s impressions of the unruly outdoors quickly dissolve as they are ushered through into the hushed, oak-clad foyer.

The rich interiors create a warm, welcoming atmosphere inside the restaurant.

“For most of us, this is a totally new world experience.

It’s not an aquarium, it’s the wildlife of the North Sea.

That makes it much more interesting.

It takes you directly into the wildness,” Rune Grasdal, lead architect of Under, “If the weather is bad, it’s very rough.

It’s a great experience, and to sit here and be safe, allowing the nature so close into you. It’s a very romantic and nice experience.”

4 Likes

Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Explorers(m): 5:26pm On Mar 21, 2019
But Under isn’t just a restaurant.

The building also houses a marine research facility.

It welcomes interdisciplinary research teams that will be able to study marine biology and fish behavior through cameras and other measurement tools that are installed on and outside the facade of the restaurant.

They will be able to document the population, behavior, and diversity of species that live in the surrounding areas.

The goal of the research is to collect data that can be programmed into machine learning tools that monitor the population dynamics of key marine species on a regular basis.

4 Likes

Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Smily202(m): 5:29pm On Mar 21, 2019
Lol. Nice one but the vicinity where the underwater restaurant is located is not attractive grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by forghon: 5:30pm On Mar 21, 2019
Me patiently waiting for front page

3 Likes

Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Kowor(f): 5:31pm On Mar 21, 2019
Wow! Tourist friendly.
Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by travelwaka: 5:34pm On Mar 21, 2019
Wow this is beautiful. An adventure of a life time. The good thing about places like this is you will need to make reservation ahead of time. Nice one
Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Treasure17(m): 6:02pm On Mar 21, 2019
Really cool. They must have put in place protective measures cause if shark decide to visit just to relax too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Timekeeper: 6:26pm On Mar 21, 2019
May I not enter this place to eat in Jesu name.
Me that I cannot swim, if sumtin happen nko, eat in underwater restaurant and wash ur hand on heaven

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Damoxy(m): 6:33pm On Mar 21, 2019
If I take a babe to this place and I propose to her and she says NO. Lmaooo

You guys know what will happen next na
I go throw her inside the ocean o grin grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Itzurboi(m): 7:06pm On Mar 21, 2019
I pity workers wey go dey duty when kasala go burst...
Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Denikayan: 7:19pm On Mar 21, 2019
Their is one in Epe to. Beneath Itokin river.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by GlorifiedTunde(m): 8:33pm On Mar 21, 2019
Explorers my guy grin grin
Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by cassidy1996(m): 9:01pm On Mar 21, 2019
That glass fit break
Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Nobody: 9:07pm On Mar 21, 2019
These whites people with their way of thinking....
Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Nobody: 9:43pm On Mar 21, 2019
wink

ArChiteCts deServe a speCiaL univerSe in heaVen fOr trying tO make the wOrLd a better pLaCe... ArchiteCture iS Life

5 Likes

Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by MrTrend(m): 10:31pm On Mar 21, 2019
What? Who will like to visit it with me?
Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Epositive(m): 11:02pm On Mar 21, 2019
grin
Timekeeper:
Me that I cannot swim, if sumtin happen nko, eat in underwater restaurant and wash ur hand on heaven

4 Likes

Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by odeebee: 11:11pm On Mar 21, 2019
Am coming over soon
Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Rexnegro(m): 11:34pm On Mar 21, 2019
this is awesome, i will visit soon in JAH Name AMEN
Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Larryfest(m): 11:51pm On Mar 21, 2019
White people sha.... over comfort dey always worry them.
Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by MrMcJay(m): 12:04am On Mar 22, 2019
Timekeeper:

1 Like

Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by cr7lomo: 12:36am On Mar 22, 2019
HerTotoScream:
All these would be wiped up if Angel Michael decides to blow the trumpet nowangry

Dey their dey wait for angel Michael to wipe it...
Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Ttipsy(f): 12:44am On Mar 22, 2019
wow..
Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Starboytwo(m): 1:20am On Mar 22, 2019
Booked
Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by abbeyty(m): 1:44am On Mar 22, 2019
The fish wont like this invading their privacy by human
Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by Kenmatt(m): 2:22am On Mar 22, 2019
Exploring Exploras' thread.
Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by folake4u(f): 6:03am On Mar 22, 2019
I trust my fellow Nigerians. They don't like to tempt God grin grin grin grin

12 Likes

Re: Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) by TANID(m): 6:57am On Mar 22, 2019
forghon:
Me patiently waiting for front page
Hahahaha!
This Really Me

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Advise Me Which Country Can I Start A Good Hustle / Introduction Letter To US Embassy / Arik Suspends Flight Operations To London, Johannesburg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.