Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,495 members, 7,830,496 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 (18869 Views)

Tech Entrepreneur Dozy Mmobuosi Is Changing Africa's Agricultural Sector Through / Are You Into Buying And Selling Of Agricultural Products? Kindly Join Our Group / Gift Udoh: US Honours Nigerian Lady For Contribution Towards Farming [photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by monex(m): 2:03pm On Mar 25, 2019
tesppidd:
I knew someone would say this.

But you should observe that;

Yaradua had it at a very high level.

And then the ineffectual baboon had it on steady decline until Baba came up and started increasing it again.

Gradually we shall get there!

Kudos Muhammadu Buhari.

if you know your stats, you would infer that because oil price/oil production was high during GEJ's time, the % contribution of agriculture would be lower. the % contribution of agriculture could either be due to:
(1) low output from that sector
(2) higher output from other sectors (oil, services)

actual figures rather than percentages would tell you which government did better in Agriculture.
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by tesppidd: 2:06pm On Mar 25, 2019
monex:

if you know your stats, you would infer that because [b]oil price/oil production was high during GEJ's time,the % [/b]contribution of agriculture would be lower. the % contribution of agriculture could either be due to:
(1) low output from that sector
(2) higher output from other sectors (oil, services)

actual figures rather than percentages would tell you which government did better in Agriculture.
you have finally admitted the bolded, Gej's oil boom.
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by Prodigytal: 2:07pm On Mar 25, 2019
einsteine:

If agriculture is so profitable, why are entrepreneurs in foreign countries not going en masse into it?

Actually, go into agriculture before saying all this. There are way more profitable businesses than agriculture. Don't sell hype. 100 tonnes of Cocoa would require 60 Hectares of land even with improved agricultural practises and hybrid varieties. Do you know the cost of acquiring 60 hectares of land and planting enough to yield 100 tonnes? Do you know the yearly costs in harvesting and getting 100 tonnes of cocoa beans ready? At the end of the day, the profit on that 60 hectares of land might not be more than $15,000 a year. You can earn that in 75 hours as a Blockchain engineer.

There is a reason serious countries in the world leave the bulk of the agriculture to poor countries. Agriculture is yesterday's news. Good if you just want to live off the land but it would rarely bring you massive wealth. Areas to go into to get massive wealth include biotech, renewable energy, software development/artificial intelligence, and pharmacy.

By the way, I studied Agricultural Economics for my first degree, so I speak from an informed position. Don't sell hype.

Bro, you missed the point or should I say, the point missed you. Not everyone can be a block chain engineer or a programmer. The 75k so called block engineers make in 3 days, footballers make it in 3 hours. Not everyone can play football. Nigeria's problem for everyone to become wealthy. It's for everybody to escape the extreme lower class. The background of any soceity is the middle class. If majority of Nigerians are middle class, purchasing power rises and we can consolidate on that to move into tech and ict. People in those countries cab think of bit coins because they don't have to worry about price of food. How many nigerians can afford to eat good food three times daily? Let's tackle a problem at a time and not compare ourselves with countries that solved our kindiscussion of problems 100 years ago.

1 Like

Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by einsteine(m): 2:10pm On Mar 25, 2019
Prodigytal:

Bro, you missed the point or should I say, the point missed you. Not everyone can be a block chain engineer or a programmer. The 75k so called block engineers make in 3 days, footballers make it in 3 hours. Not everyone can play football. Nigeria's problem for everyone to become wealthy. It's for everybody to escape the extreme lower class. The background of any soceity is the middle class. If majority of Nigerians are middle class, purchasing power rises and we can consolidate on that to move into tech and ict. People in those countries cab think of bit coins because they don't have to worry about price of food. How many nigerians can afford to eat good food three times daily? Let's tackle a problem at a time and not compare ourselves with countries that solved our kindiscussion of problems 100 years ago.

I am addressing your idea of people becoming wealthy from farming. Of course, people can make a living from farming. I said that in my post. You don't actually need people to go into farming to improve agriculture. In fact, agriculture, properly practiced, does not employ a lot of people. It is only when agriculture is inefficient that it employs a lot of people.

1 Like

Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by Komu1048(m): 2:12pm On Mar 25, 2019
Prodigytal:
We should stop calling government to everything. Government didn't develop the banking or music industry. If young people start to realise that agriculture pays more than yahoo, agriculture will improve. 1 tonne of cocoa sells for 2,000 dollars. You can grow cocoa in less than two years, thanks to IITA. Imagine producing 100 tonnes. All we need is a farmer with a large instagram following, showing off wealth and telling Nigerians he's a farmer before they start jumping in.

Don't compare banking and music industry with agriculture. No country agricultural sector thrives without government support but in Nigeria there support is running to Media for campaign for youths to go back to farming like you are doing. I am a full time farmer myself and you don't expect me to be using crude method or using family members for my labour ....and stop talking about cocoa. I was at IITA last week to make enquiries but they never told me about a year plus cocoa

1 Like

Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by ogmask: 2:18pm On Mar 25, 2019
Prodigytal:
We should stop calling government to everything. Government didn't develop the banking or music industry. If young people start to realise that agriculture pays more than yahoo, agriculture will improve. 1 tonne of cocoa sells for 2,000 dollars. You can grow cocoa in less than two years, thanks to IITA. Imagine producing 100 tonnes. All we need is a farmer with a large instagram following, showing off wealth and telling Nigerians he's a farmer before they start jumping in.

The society is so rotten that the person might be kidnapped. If he survives the herdsmen he may not escape the kidnappers. To get pple into farming the govt must play its part. A secured and friendly environment is starting point for any economy that wants to grow.
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by cheerishMe: 2:20pm On Mar 25, 2019
tesppidd:

And then the ineffectual baboon had it on steady decline until Baba came up and started increasing it again.

Kudos Muhammadu Buhari.
yaradua Jonathan plus obasanjo are they not included in ur 16 yrs
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by smithsammy(m): 2:36pm On Mar 25, 2019
frowland:

We are actually doing well, going by the infograph.
You have to pick up your calculator and find out what 30% of 2008 GDP was... Then calculate 20% of current GDP, you will then realise that the information above is slightly misleading. Thanks.
The information is not misleading.

While I agree that the value of the 20% of a GDP in 2017 might be higher than 30% of a GDP in 2009, the aspect from which I want us to look at the infrograph is the 'proportion' of agriculture contribution to our GDP.

The questions we need to answer are:

1) Why the fall in propostion?

2) Is it normal that agrriculture is crawling why other sectors are moving forward?

3) Is it not naturally normal that our agricultural sector increase in operation and harvest as our population increases?
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by mrbock: 2:38pm On Mar 25, 2019
einsteine:

If agriculture is so profitable, why are entrepreneurs in foreign countries not going en masse into it?

Actually, go into agriculture before saying all this. There are way more profitable businesses than agriculture. Don't sell hype. 100 tonnes of Cocoa would require 60 Hectares of land even with improved agricultural practises and hybrid varieties. Do you know the cost of acquiring 60 hectares of land and planting enough to yield 100 tonnes? Do you know the yearly costs in harvesting and getting 100 tonnes of cocoa beans ready? At the end of the day, the profit on that 60 hectares of land might not be more than $15,000 a year. You can earn that in 75 hours as a Blockchain engineer.

There is a reason serious countries in the world leave the bulk of the agriculture to poor countries. Agriculture is yesterday's news. Good if you just want to live off the land but it would rarely bring you massive wealth. Areas to go into to get massive wealth include biotech, renewable energy, software development/artificial intelligence, and pharmacy.

By the way, I studied Agricultural Economics for my first degree, so I speak from an informed position. Don't sell hype.

As when people talk about Agric millions I feel so sad

The money is in processing and selling of farm produce not farming
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by mrbock: 2:45pm On Mar 25, 2019
Prodigytal:

Farming doesn't generate great wealth. the money is in processing and sales of farm produce.

I just hate the propaganda about Agric. We are better off using our numerical strengths for production but power generation is a major problem.
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by tete7000(m): 2:47pm On Mar 25, 2019
tesppidd:

Kudos Muhammadu Buhari.

And I was expecting one olodo to make this comment too. If I may ask what is the difference from 2013 to 2017? What difference did your baba make? Maybe you lack ability to analyse numbers... Pls calculate the percentage difference between those successive years I gave and let the world know your answer...
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by Abagworo(m): 2:50pm On Mar 25, 2019
smithsammy:
We are not doing enough in agriculture. Going by the infographic, Yaradua's administration made better impact in the sector than the succeeding administrations.

Buhari needs to up his game in this area.

Obasanjo not Yar'adua.
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by Originalsly: 2:51pm On Mar 25, 2019
Figures couldn't be correct. Under Buhari.... the price of oil plummeted.... the agricultural sector was given a big boost by the severe restrictions of agricultural imports and many went to the land... so how can the figures remain the same and even less?...when under GEJ price of oil was high and agricultural production very low?
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by Quorax: 3:01pm On Mar 25, 2019
Prodigytal:

Everything na packaging. I love your idea bros

1 Like

Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by mfm04622: 3:07pm On Mar 25, 2019
Bbbwings:
So There has been a steady decline in agriculture contribution to gdp
I don't know what to infer from this..
I can neither blame mor praise the dullard with this info

We need more information before we reach a conclusion!
It may be that agriculture is declining.
Or it in increasing at a lower rate compared to the GDP

1 Like

Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by Prodigytal: 3:23pm On Mar 25, 2019
einsteine:

I am addressing your idea of people becoming wealthy from farming. Of course, people can make a living from farming. I said that in my post. You don't actually need people to go into farming to improve agriculture. In fact, agriculture, properly practiced, does not employ a lot of people. It is only when agriculture is inefficient that it employs a lot of people.

I understand and enjoy your input. And when I mentioned agriculture, it wasn't only farming. Processing, storage, secondary products, cash crops etc. I saw how leather was processed in kano in mud Wells. It's a nightmare. Young people should tap markets light that rather than buying benz.
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by tesppidd: 3:42pm On Mar 25, 2019
tete7000:

And I was expecting one olodo to make this comment too. If I may ask what is the difference from 2013 to 2017? What difference did your baba make? Maybe you lack ability to analyse numbers... Pls calculate the percentage difference between those successive years I gave and let the world know your answer...
Malu

The difference you are looking for is that between 2014 and 2017.

That's the difference you seek.

From 2010 to 2014 there was a consistent decrease.
From 2015 till date it began to pick up.

That says a lot.

That's the only numbers you need to analyze.

Every President's result must be a function of where they met it.

Ode'
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by frowland(m): 3:46pm On Mar 25, 2019
smithsammy:
The information is not misleading.

While I agree that the value of the 20% of a GDP in 2017 might be higher than 30% of a GDP in 2009, the aspect from which I want us to look at the infrograph is the 'proportion' of agriculture contribution to our GDP.

The questions we need to answer are:

1) Why the fall in propostion?

2) Is it normal that agrriculture is crawling why other sectors are moving forward?

3) Is it not naturally normal that our agricultural sector increase in operation and harvest as our population increases?

No, you are wrong @ point # 2 & 3. Other sectors have remained thesame %age wise just like in Agric sector over this same period. What you will look at is the total real terms and not in percentage.
There is NOTHING wrong if year in year percentage remains the same as long as there is general growth in GDP.
Look, the error when using percentage to drive your point is that if agriculture is increasing, one or other sectors MUST have a drop. So from the above article, the sector is actually doing well. Thanks.
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by grandstar(m): 3:47pm On Mar 25, 2019
smithsammy:
We are not doing enough in agriculture. Going by the infograph, Yaradua's administration made better impact in the sector than the succeeding administrations.

What does it mean if the size of the agricultural sector in terms of GDP is increasing?

It means your economy isn't doing well.

Even if your agricultural sector grows by 10%, other sectors are supposed to grow faster i.e 12% for instance.

That's why you find that the richer and more advanced countries are, the smaller the size of the agriculture sector. It is rare to find rich country with an agricultural sector contributing up to 4% of GDP.

Thailand which is an upper middle income country and which exports more food than all Africa combined has an agricultural sector that's only 10% of GDP.

Malaysia which is also an upper middle country with an agricultural sector which Nigeria wishes to emulate has a size that is less than 10% of GDP.

The country economic growth from 2015 has been nothing to write home about and that exposes the problem.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by shomutuski(m): 4:04pm On Mar 25, 2019
Prodigytal:

My Guy!!!! you would not die young, you will live to enjoy the fruits of ur labour, your parents would enjoy ur success....
sense will continue to fall on you no matter what...
well incisive comment! finally i've seen someone that has sense on nairaland here.

1 Like

Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by CodeTemplar: 4:04pm On Mar 25, 2019
smithsammy:
We are not doing enough in agriculture. Going by the infograph, Yaradua's administration made better impact in the sector than the succeeding administrations.

He needs it. Since adeshina ajinwunmi time it is just slack farming policies we are seeing. Top of the agenda should be herdsmen.
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by CodeTemplar: 4:06pm On Mar 25, 2019
shomutuski:

My Guy!!!! you would not die young, you will live to enjoy the fruits of ur labour, your parents would enjoy ur success....
sense will continue to fall on you no matter what...
well incisive comment! finally i've seen someone that has sense on nairaland here.
Govt policies can do a lot and I disagree.
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by Blue3k(m): 4:06pm On Mar 25, 2019
The stats need context. Im guessing agricultural is lower as a percentage because annother sectory outpaced it.
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by CodeTemplar: 4:09pm On Mar 25, 2019
Prodigytal:
Govt can influence a lot. The govt recapatalize the banks and even injected 7bn USD into it under Soludo so Govt was key to banking and even at that, banking loan rates are still chocking competitiveness out of small and medium businesses.
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by smithsammy(m): 4:23pm On Mar 25, 2019
grandstar:

What does it mean if the size of the agricultural sector in terms of GDP is increasing?

It means your economy isn't doing well.

Even if your agricultural sector grows by 10%, other sectors are supposed to grow faster i.e 12% for instance.

That's why you find that the richer and more advanced countries are, the smaller the size of the agriculture sector. It is rare to find rich country with an agricultural sector contributing up to 4% of GDP.

Thailand which is an upper middle income country and which exports more food than all Africa combined has an agricultural sector that's only 10% of GDP.

Malaysia which is also an upper middle country with an agricultural sector which Nigeria wishes to emulate has a size that is less than 10% of GDP.

The country economic growth from 2015 has been nothing to write home about and that exposes the problem.

You made a salient point.

We still, however, need to charge the government to do better than they are already doing. All sectors have not been perfoming to their best.
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by grandstar(m): 4:36pm On Mar 25, 2019
smithsammy:
You made a salient point.

We still, however, need to charge the government to do better than they are already doing. All sectors have not been perfoming to their best.

The Economist wrote of a lost decade with Buhari now having a second term

Foreigners investors are petrified of the man. Two foreign exited the country upon learning he's going for a second term. The multiple exchange rates is an indication of seriously flawed economics at work
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by Ikpongiton: 4:47pm On Mar 25, 2019
bkool7:

He is increasing the figure. No matter how slow. At least its moving forward unlike gej that move it backward with the speed of light
gej moved it backward by stopping fertilizer racketeering and made sure farmers accessed fertilizer from federal ministry of agriculture directly.adewumi adeshina was adjudged and voted as best agriculture minister for doing nothing.what you need is a brain.......
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by tete7000(m): 4:49pm On Mar 25, 2019
tesppidd:
Malu

The difference you are looking for is that between 2014 and 2017.

That's the difference you seek.

From 2010 to 2014 there was a consistent decrease.
From 2015 till date it began to pick up.

That says a lot.

That's the only numbers you need to analyze.

Every President's result must be a function of where they met it.

Ode'

Didinrin ni e, ori e o supo. Tell me the difference between 19.99% and 20.63% or between 20.76% and 20.98%. Kan kawe, won ni kawe, sai baba ni won a ma pariwo kiri. Omo langidi... Zombie.. Won ti f'ori e gba paro... You can begin to drink gutter water too to confirm you zombiesm...
Re: See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 by Bimpe29: 5:34pm On Mar 25, 2019
mayprince:
From a report from Pwc talking about Food security challenges and agricultural innovations,an infographic was released showing the percentage contribution of agricultural sector to Nigeria's GDP

See photo below
Damn it! I thought Buhari's administration has surpassed Yar'dua in terms of investment and growth in the agricultural sector.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fraudulent FGN Agricultural Loan Website It Is / Cost Analysis For a 10 Hectares of Cocoa, Watermelon and Plantain Plantation / Step By Step How To Hatch Catfish Egg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.