Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,821 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

6 Tips To Becoming A Better Software Developer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / 6 Tips To Becoming A Better Software Developer (1164 Views)

Become A Better Software Engineer With Docker / Become A Better Software Engineer With Docker / 6 Tips To Elevate The User Experience Of Your Mobile App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Tips To Becoming A Better Software Developer by FincoApps(m): 5:59pm On Mar 22, 2019
Please note that this is a lengthy post

Whether you have been programming for years or you are just learning how to code, it is natural to ask yourself what does it take to become a great developer. I am going to start off by saying that there’s no right or wrong answer to this question. If you ask a hundred experienced software engineers this question you’ll get a hundred different responses. The reason why there is no clear-cut answer is that development is truly an art form, therefore asking this type of question about programming is similar to asking what makes a great artist?

Even though the idea of becoming a great developer may seem like a daunting task, there is a practical process that you can follow in order to attain your goals. In preparation for this article, I asked various developers, read blog posts and listened to a number of different Podcasts that all talked about this topic. As you’d expect, the components of becoming a great programmer are pretty extensive in this video I want to give you an overview of the processes and requirements that I found to be the most effective myself.

6 Steps to becoming a better Programmer/Developer.

The following are six traits that encapsulate the key characteristics found among great developers. I have also included some practical strategies for working with each of these attributes on a regular basis.

1. Working through difficult features

Starting off with one of the most challenging traits, I found that the only way I improve as a developer is to work through challenging concepts I find it disturbingly easy to fall into a routine where I only perform the same tasks again and again. I have been working as a developer for a number of years and I have a nice arsenal of tools and equipment that I am very comfortable with. But I have discovered that if I simply keep building features that I’m already comfortable creating I won’t grow. It’s only when I bear down and dedicate myself to work through a difficult task that I’ve never performed before that I really become better.

Having the requirement of working through difficult practice isn’t a concept related solely to development. The book P researched Pete performers in music athletics and essentially every other skilled profession. The results of the research showed that individuals only show improvement when they are working through challenging concepts. This means that if concert violinists played the same music day after day and never challenge themselves, their skills would just be stagnant. The same concept holds true for developers, if you want to become a great coder, you need to work through difficult topics constantly. If you do not know where to start with finding challenging features to build, visit some of your favorite websites. You could look at Twitter or Facebook or Pinterest from there you can compile a list of advanced features that you have never built before.

Examples would be components such as infinite scrolling, Asynchronous notifications or multi-page authentication.

Community contribution: With the growth of the programming industry, the open-source community has expanded exponentially. The popular languages and frameworks in the world such as Python and Ruby weren’t created by corporations but were created by programmers interested in the common good and making everybody better. Depending on your level of experience, community contributions will vary pretty widely. If you’re a senior level engineer, you could build an open-source library or build a feature for a programming language. However even if you barely have any experience at all, you can still contribute. New developers can assist other individuals who are just starting to code.

As great as it is to give back to the open-source, community there is also significant benefits to contributing. If you are building a code library that other developers will see, you will most likely be very careful to ensure that the code base is properly tested and bug-free. This type of development will make you an even better programmer and will help you in the long run.

2. Artistry

When it comes to development it is easy to get caught up in the day-to-day minutia of a project and forget that at its core, programming is really an art. In order for your code to be artistic, it must be elegant and for it to be elegant, it must be simple. Some of the best projects we have worked on ended up having the most straightforward codebases, however, writing simple code is not as easy as you may think. It is about simplicity, if you can not explain it to a six-year-old, you don’t understand it yourself. This may seem like an odd concept, however, if you have ever attempted to build a complex project that maintained an easy-to-follow code design, you know that it’s true.

The more you improve as a developer the more straightforward your code should be.

Please continue reading from the source: https://fincoapps.com/6-tips-to-becoming-a-better-software-developer/
Re: 6 Tips To Becoming A Better Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 7:48pm On Mar 22, 2019
How many ppl actually click on a link to continue reading an article?
Re: 6 Tips To Becoming A Better Software Developer by FincoApps(m): 8:23pm On Mar 22, 2019
asalimpo:
How many ppl actually click on a link to continue reading an article?

On Nairaland, I don't know and I don't care...
What I care about is what is called "Backlinks". Google sees it and Google cares. smiley
Re: 6 Tips To Becoming A Better Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 8:39pm On Mar 22, 2019
FincoApps:

On Nairaland, I don't know and I don't care...
What I care about is what is called "Backlinks". Google sees it and Google cares. smiley
you also dont care if you smear crap on html and call it a blog post. Adsense sees it;thazall that matters. It's all about d money isnt it.
Sow ur wild oats/links dude.
#there's no love in this world

1 Like

Re: 6 Tips To Becoming A Better Software Developer by FincoApps(m): 11:03am On Mar 23, 2019
asalimpo:

you also dont care if you smear crap on html and call it a blog post. Adsense sees it;thazall that matters. It's all about d money isnt it.
Sow ur wild oats/links dude.
#there's no love in this world

Firstly, it's not crap
Secondly, I wrote Google not Adsense
Re: 6 Tips To Becoming A Better Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 2:07pm On Mar 23, 2019
FincoApps:

Firstly, it's not crap
Secondly, I wrote Google not Adsense
so u dont make money primarily thru google adsense. I could barely read a paragraph on ur site without leaping past some ads! The site had more ads than most mouths have teeth! Isnt adsense (ie. $$ ) the reason y you r blogging ,inter alia? Other reasons r promoting ur brand etc but u do watch tht adsense basket carefully though.
C'mon dude, no shame in making money. Every kobo counts.

I didnt say ur writeups were crap,i said "so you can smear crap in html", meaning so i can (supposedly) do X, for google backlinks. It doesnt mean what ur doing is X.
Comprende?
Re: 6 Tips To Becoming A Better Software Developer by FincoApps(m): 11:18pm On Mar 24, 2019
asalimpo:

so u dont make money primarily thru google adsense. I could barely read a paragraph on ur site without leaping past some ads! The site had more ads than most mouths have teeth! Isnt adsense (ie. $$ ) the reason y you r blogging ,inter alia? Other reasons r promoting ur brand etc but u do watch tht adsense basket carefully though.
C'mon dude, no shame in making money. Every kobo counts.

I didnt say ur writeups were crap,i said "so you can smear crap in html", meaning so i can (supposedly) do X, for google backlinks. It doesnt mean what ur doing is X.
Comprende?

Primarily? ? ? ? NO
this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fincoapps.pinpals is primary

I never denied making money with Adsense mehn

Honestly, if I knew your replies would be like this, I would have totally ignored your initial quote...I do not really have time to waste on "waste of human beings"....

Now that I know....

1 Like

Re: 6 Tips To Becoming A Better Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 12:40am On Mar 25, 2019
FincoApps:

Primarily? ? ? ? NO
this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fincoapps.pinpals is primary

I never denied making money with Adsense mehn

Honestly, if I knew your replies would be like this, I would have totally ignored your initial quote...I do not really have time to waste on "waste of human beings"....

Now that I know....
waste of human beings - Your insult isn't warranted. Dyu know know a waste or excreta human who does programming? Isnt the craft for smart ppl or the intelligent class?

You can always lock your thread to avoid any response or do d silence thing.

(1) (Reply)

Father Of Unix And C Dies! / Pls Which Sms Service Do You Recommend To Integrate / Web Development 101: Top Web Development Languages In 2014; Guide For Beginners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.