Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

Nigerian International Book Fair - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nigerian International Book Fair (2589 Views)

2015 Nigeria International Book Fair: Registration In Progress / Much Ado About The Lagos International Trade Fair / The Nigerian International Bookfair 2008 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian International Book Fair by newera(f): 1:06pm On Apr 27, 2007
This annual book fair is taking place between the 7-12 May 2007 at the Unilag Multipurpose hall. It is usually a rallying point for all stockholders in the publishing industry. I also believe that it will be a place to network for authors and booksellers. It is being organised by Nigerian Publisher's Association, Nigerian Booksellers Association, Association of Nigerian Authors.

It is sponsored by the Education Trust Fund and the Norwegian Ministry of External Affairs.

I will be there and i encourage you to make it too.
Re: Nigerian International Book Fair by Icon(m): 12:20am On Apr 28, 2007
Great! I'll try for one of the days.
Re: Nigerian International Book Fair by Tmoni(m): 6:48pm On Apr 28, 2007
@ newara,

i have this idea of writting a biography of someone in nigeria but i do not have the contacts or idea of where to start from,

looks like u are into the books thingy so we might sort out some business partnership
Re: Nigerian International Book Fair by Ndipe(m): 11:14pm On Apr 28, 2007
Hope this would lead to a resurgence of the scraped African writers series. I enjoyed reading some of the books in the series.
Re: Nigerian International Book Fair by Rodent: 9:50am On Apr 29, 2007
newera, thanks for the info, there wouldnt happen to b a website by any chance?
Re: Nigerian International Book Fair by newera(f): 10:51am On Apr 30, 2007
http://www.nibf.org/index.php

That's the website. The theme is - Capacity Building in the African Publishing Industry with special focus on developing the reading culture in Nigeria.

I think that is good because there is a problem if we continue to churn out the books and we don't have people to read them.

I decided to take a stand and I plan to participate actively. I believe it's important that we all play our part to support the development of the huge potentials in this industry.
Re: Nigerian International Book Fair by Icon(m): 7:55am On May 16, 2007
Can you believe I just remembered about this today? I ran here to check and lo and behold, the dates have passed and the book fair is over! Need to kick myself
Re: Nigerian International Book Fair by newera(f): 1:08pm On May 16, 2007
It took place last week from the 7th -12th May at the Unilag Multipurpose hall and was a great experience. The turnout was fair, it would have been better if the students were not on forced leave. There were visitors and participants from all over the country, South Africa, Norway to mention a few others.

All the participants including my goodself, had the benefit of a little bit more exposure; sales were good too.

For those who have a nostalgia for the Pacesetter series – I am glad to confirm that they are still being produced by Macmillan Nigeria Publishers. You can contact them for copies.

There were seminars on how to improve the reading culture in Nigeria. It was also clear that some organizations are taking this challenge headlong by working with the primary and secondary schools.

We need to organize and more importantly attend more programs like this to develop the Nigerian publishing industry. Apart from the fact that the event could have done with a bit more publicity; it was generally well organised
Re: Nigerian International Book Fair by newera(f): 1:14pm On May 16, 2007
Icon:

Can you believe I just remembered about this today? I ran here to check and lo and behold, the dates have passed and the book fair is over! Need to kick myself

You Missed! wink However there will be many more, so i will attempt to keep you posted.
Re: Nigerian International Book Fair by Orikinla(m): 4:20pm On May 16, 2007
Newera,

We pray for more book fairs.

There should be book fairs in every state in Nigeria.

I want to see a Nigerian literary feat like Harry Potter that will get our children and youths excited to read more.

Our local publishers should publish books for children as colourful and beautiful as the titles published in America and other developed countries.

Books should be attractive.

The Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) and other churches should celebrate christian books and books with positive messages during their retreats.
Jesus Christ was a great story teller and he told parables.
He was not preachy.
Our pastors still have a lot to learn from the teaching methods of Jesus Christ.

You cannot read Jesus Christ and be bored.
His parables are so engaging and thrilling.
He is my great tutor in literature.
His story telling style even made the crowds of listeners to forget that they have not eaten.
And He fed them.

Oprah Winfrey testified that Jesus Christ gave her breakthrough on Larry King Live yesterday.
She said she needed a breakthrough and she thought she would be rejected, because of her obesity. So, she retreated to a place and was singing I Surrender All, Unto Jesus, And the phone call that lifted her to the higher ground came. And today Oprah Winfrey is the richest black woman on earth and her book club has made so many books international best sellers and made the authors richer.

Oprah loves books and books have made her rich and famous.

Pretty looks may open doors
But great books take you to the top floors.

(1) (Reply)

Niyi Osundare At 60 Reads At Jazz Hole In Lagos / Free Upwork Connects For Those Who Need It / BELIEVE - A Romance Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.