Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,998 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:46 AM

PNDS: Post NYSC Depression Syndrome - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / PNDS: Post NYSC Depression Syndrome (1811 Views)

How To Avoid Post Nysc Depression Before You Pass Out As A Corper / Post Nysc Depression Is Real But You Can Avoid It! / Want To Get Your First Post-nysc Job? Lets Make A CV For You !! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PNDS: Post NYSC Depression Syndrome by chimexcomm(m): 8:45pm On Apr 04, 2019
PNDS: Post- NYSC Depression Syndrome:

This syndrome may sound somehow to your ear but to be sincere to you, It is real. So what is PNDS?
Like the title said, PNDS is Post-NYSC Depression Syndrome. It is the stage after NYSC that is filled with lots of challenges and what I call “The Real Life Scenario.”
Before you read further or before you start accusing me, This does not happen to everyone. Some people are so lucky that as they finish NYSC, they are landing their first job. I did not experience it after my NYSC, but I have friends who have experienced it.
You see that day you finish NYSC, You will see lots of pictures online, everybody thanking God and showing off their certificates, It's not a bad thing to do, and I believe everyone is entitled to how he should run his or her life.
So after the Joy of passing out has died down, including those who have used their last card to throw parties and snap studio photos, It takes 2 to 4 weeks that’s like a month to realize that the N19800 is no longer coming, and for some people you will discover that the N19800 that you were complaining that was too small is actually something tangible as you may not have makeup to that amount a month after NYSC.
The worst part of it is that you will discover that some of your classmates who finished NYSC with you are already getting jobs and for some, the wedding bell is already ringing. Some are already travelling abroad for their masters, and you even forget that some of these your classmates are still worrying with an extra year in school.
The real depression is when you have applied for more than 20 jobs in a week, and some of them will never get back to you while some will keep sending you rejection emails. You will get used to emails like “ Thanks for applying for this job, We regret to inform you that you were not selected”
The funny thing about these emails is that they make you look as if you are useless. And you are not good for the job. Some will invite you for an assessment test; You will travel from your state to another state and sometimes spend up to N10,000 on one trip which may be saved from your NYSC. After the test, They won't even send you your test score or inform you if you qualified for the next stage and the depression keeps coming.
As a woman, parents and relatives will start asking you If any man is coming around and that they are expecting your wedding invitation guys. Then those who promised you to send your CV will disappear.
Then the most comfortable job that will be available will be a teaching position, and the pay may not be suitable for you. You will see almost everyone in your class trying to buy Masters Degree form as if they rang a bell for everyone to obtain the form. Some even don’t check to see if Masters is what they need now or to settle down and learn a skill. Then if you decide to learn a skill, some people who bought masters form will be looking down on you as if you don’t know what you are doing. Then some use MSC as a plan to wait while they are still looking for a job.
That period is not funny. Some will try the business they have always have in mind, and the business will fail even before the end of one month. You may begin to ask God if something is wrong.
You may have seen yourself in one or few points that I mentioned in this article; I want you to know this “ YOU ARE NOT ALONE” and “GOD HAS NOT FORGOTTEN YOU.”
So many other people are passing through what you are passing through. Some people”s PNDS (Post-NYSC depression Syndrome) is even up to 2 years after NYSC. Some people don't even dare to appear on social media again or to also post on social media because they begin to have low self-esteem because of this depression. And it's not yet up to 2 years you graduated, and some people are already talking about having a reunion when you have not yet found your fit.
See ehn; Life is tough, Its not always rosy. It's not as sweet as Nollywood paints it especially in romance movies and its not also as bad as they portray it. Temptations will come, challenges will happen, but it won't be beyond you. I want to share a few points that can help you pull out of this depression, I have had depressions though not PNDS related:
1. Miracles are REAL. God still does wonders. Keep believing in him. He can still do a miracle in your life.
2. Running away from your friends or classmates because they are doing better than you is not a way out, Be humble enough to ask for help, Some of them have connections that can help, and if you don’t ask, You will never know. Who forming help? Matthew 7 vs 7 One of my classmates in UNN recently helped me to acquire an asset at a very low cost just because we are always in touch.
3. Most graduates don’t take job applications serious because they have the pre-information that there is no job in Nigeria. That’s a terrible lie. Keep applying. The more you are rejected, reinforce and apply
4. Learn new skills. It's not always about what you studied. I studied Microbiology, but it's not giving me a kobo, but the fact that am a graduate is helping me so this is not saying that I studied a nonsense course.
5. You see this internet; it has almost everything you need. Don’t just use it for social media. The internet is a university on its own.
6. NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER GIVE UP!! NEVER GIVE UP!!!
-I remain Your Boy Chime Chinonso Simon (Mr Never Give Up)
#TeamNeverGiveUp

3 Likes

Re: PNDS: Post NYSC Depression Syndrome by emmanuelpopson(m): 8:56pm On Apr 04, 2019
Nigeria shall rise again..
Re: PNDS: Post NYSC Depression Syndrome by laurentium(m): 7:58am On Apr 05, 2019
GOD HELP US ALL
Re: PNDS: Post NYSC Depression Syndrome by Mikocake(m): 8:00am On Apr 05, 2019
nice write up.. @op am a lion too..i hail u
Re: PNDS: Post NYSC Depression Syndrome by chimexcomm(m): 11:32pm On Apr 06, 2019
Mikocake:
nice write up.. @op am a lion too..i hail u
Nice to meet you bro. well done
Re: PNDS: Post NYSC Depression Syndrome by chimexcomm(m): 11:33pm On Apr 06, 2019
laurentium:
GOD HELP US ALL
Amen Dear
Re: PNDS: Post NYSC Depression Syndrome by Nobody: 10:09am On Apr 08, 2019
This is inspiring @OP... God bless us all
Re: PNDS: Post NYSC Depression Syndrome by 50scent: 7:17am On Apr 09, 2019
*Corper Wee*✌

Its *DAY 14 OF 21* guys, just a week more to bid your various orientation camps farewell. Some of you will wish there were 20days left but the reality is staring at you stark naked - just 7days to go !... So what will it be for you..... *MAXIMIZE!*

*MEANWHILE....*

Congratulations to those that trusted us with their *NYSC DIRECT POSTING* (influenced directly to preferred state before camp. Now available for incoming *BATCH B 2019*. Get posted to your desired state directly once you do your online registration), *NYSC REPOSTING* (Changing your state of deployment to your preferred state before camp. Now available for incoming *BATCH B 2019*. If you are posted to a state you don't want, this option is to get you reposted to your desired state before orientation camp begins ). And so Please for those that still want to *RELOCATE/REDEPLOY* from their current state of deployment (Whether *BATCH A 2019 Currently in camp* or *BATCH C 2018* , the door is still very much opened. Kindly call me on *09079500705* or chat me up personally asap. I'll be more than willing to entertain all your questions.

Enjoy your day.
See ya at noon guys. Xoxo✌
Re: PNDS: Post NYSC Depression Syndrome by Jamesrock(m): 4:00pm On Apr 10, 2019
Thanks for spelling out reality

(1) (Reply)

Unn Next Nysc Mobilization / 2015batch B December Alawee / Can I Change My CDS Group?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.