Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,673 members, 7,955,476 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:59 AM

Why Isn't Rugby Bigger in Nigeria? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Isn't Rugby Bigger in Nigeria? (1417 Views)

Why Isn't Enyeama Nigeria's Captain? / Why Isn't There A Third Place Game In Euro2012? / Soccer Is For Sissies-rugby Is For Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Isn't Rugby Bigger in Nigeria? by obong(m): 5:51pm On Jun 19, 2005
I don't understand why this sport isn't bigger in Nigeria despite the potential. I guess that goes to everything about Nigeria, all potential.
Re: Why Isn't Rugby Bigger in Nigeria? by Chxta(m): 4:54pm On Jul 09, 2005
Because it is tripe! A gutter game if I ever saw one!
Re: Why Isn't Rugby Bigger in Nigeria? by c0dec(m): 5:08pm On Jul 09, 2005
where did u grow up obong?

rugby!?!? it will never be big in nigeria and i pray so.
Re: Why Isn't Rugby Bigger in Nigeria? by jogego(m): 5:45pm On Jul 09, 2005
In how many countries in the world is Rugby considered big anyhow?
Re: Why Isn't Rugby Bigger in Nigeria? by Seun(m): 7:51pm On Jul 09, 2005
For those of us who don't know what obong is talking about:

"Rugby league is a team sport, played by teams of 13 players per side (usually plus 4 substitutes). The aim is to carry an oval ball up the field towards the opponents in-goal area.  Grounding the ball down behind this line scores a try, the main aim of the game.  Points may also be scored by kicking the ball between the prongs of a H-shaped set of posts located on the goal line.  The opposing team attempt to prevent scoring by tackling the player with the ball.  In addition to running with the ball, players may pass it backwards to a team-mate, or kick it in any direction they choose."

"Rugby union is a team sport that was (according to legend) developed from the rules used to play football at Rugby School in England. Two teams, each of 15 players have the task of outscoring the opposing team. Players clutch a prolate spheroid ball (see picture left) in their hands or arms, and may pass it backwards or laterally across the pitch, or kick it in any direction. The opposing players attempt to halt the ball-carrier by tackling him or her with their arms and bodies. When tackled, the ball carrier must release the ball, at which time a contest for possession of the ball commences (either a ruck or a maul)."

Obong, since Rugby football may refer to either Rugby league or Rugby union, I'd like to ask you to tell us which one you're referring to and why you think it should be popular in Nigeria.
Re: Why Isn't Rugby Bigger in Nigeria? by obong(m): 10:41pm On Jul 09, 2005
I posted this a while ago. I'm kinda surprised i got a response.

Well, to answer your question, Seun, either one. Its played in some of the 'white' universities in the states, but its mainly popular in britain and the commonwealth. It isnt a pro sport out here. I guess i dont understadnd how a nation with that big a population isnt more present in an international sport like rugby. Its as easy and cheap to play as football, and we have th physical might to be a force. Rugby is being considered for an olypic sport, and its big in many of the countries of the commonwealth. If anyone here is a fan of american pro football, you can appreciate something in rugby

I played a lot of sports in the US after I left nigeria, but thinking back I remember that Nigerians didnt really play a lot of sports outside of football.
Re: Why Isn't Rugby Bigger in Nigeria? by c0dec(m): 12:53pm On Jul 10, 2005
football (soccer) rulez.

in my own opinion american sports (except basketball) are silly.
Re: Why Isn't Rugby Bigger in Nigeria? by teeroy(m): 8:46am On Oct 28, 2006
'cos we are football crazy!!!
Re: Why Isn't Rugby Bigger in Nigeria? by nosa101(f): 1:29pm On Oct 28, 2006
Rugby is for egg chasers
Re: Why Isn't Rugby Bigger in Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Nov 30, 2021
Old topic...but let's have fun

Rugby is not popular in Nigeria for the same reason cricket is not popular in Peru. LACK OF INTEREST.
Re: Why Isn't Rugby Bigger in Nigeria? by Discountsempai: 3:03pm On Aug 24, 2022
Basically
1.In late 19th century, soccer and rugby were at the same level...amateurs and professionals at war. In soccer the professionals won. In Rugby, the amateurs won...and it stayed that way for a long time. (The professionals broke away to form Rugby league..). Naturally, people go where the money is. And money was in the more professional sport.

2.Rugby unfortunately became a game played in elite white schools....restricted. Football/soccer basically became a game for everyone..rich and poor. Easy to spread..

3.Rugby is difficult to understand. You basically have to read a book to get it. Football/soccer? Very easy to get , and understand.
(As an example...try defining what a foul in association football is, and what a foul in rugby is). Naturally, the easier game of soccer spread because it was so easy to teach and share. Rugby...ye need a full set of lectures before you know what a wing quarter half does.

4.You need a standard pitch to play rugby. Meaning you need to start learning your rugby in a place with a standard pitch. Soccer? You don't need a standard pitch or even the standard number of players to get a game on.

5.You also need more equipment and stuff to play the game. Football doesn't need that.

Below...

Video about why rugby isn't more popular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNAm9L8lI_A

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Rugby Bigger in Nigeria? by BlaqFaze: 3:11pm On Aug 24, 2022
The same way rugby isn't big in USA and many other countries... nobody cares

(1) (Reply)

I’ll Never Watch Super Eagles Matches Again —olubayo’s Mother / Spanish Super Cup 2nd Leg Atletico Vs Real Madrid Fri 22 / Football Bettor. Sure Win Betting Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.