Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,660 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

One Question For All Christians - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / One Question For All Christians (3539 Views)

If You Meet God And He Allowed You To Ask Him One Question, What Would It Be? / Danger Waiting For All Christians In The University / Christian Weapons Of Warfare (8 Powerful Weapons All Christians Must Use)! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Question For All Christians by fadal(m): 1:29am On Apr 29, 2007
for all christians how you guys mine to know the face of jesus and how he look while you guys wasn't there when he was on earth.

Re: One Question For All Christians by YOUNGDICEs(m): 2:08am On Apr 29, 2007
i dont know probably iz because of the movie.
Re: One Question For All Christians by feelgood(m): 11:40pm On Apr 30, 2007
Good question friend. Simple answer - not the picture of Jesus.
Then how come a lot of folks, including xtians 'believe' the pic is Jesus? Beats me too mate but I suspect it was propagated by the rosicrucians who have the same among them and affirm it is. Dont ask me how they got to 'know' that - beats me ol chap, beats me
Re: One Question For All Christians by joz(f): 2:29am On May 01, 2007
no body know the face of jeus crist. but the world just makes assumptions about what they think that he might ave looked like on earth. undecided
Re: One Question For All Christians by macalurs(m): 4:42pm On May 09, 2007
he looked sexy.
Re: One Question For All Christians by joz(f): 1:42am On May 10, 2007
yea sure, he was, is and will always look and be the best. smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: One Question For All Christians by macalurs(m): 2:10am On May 10, 2007
jo-z:

yea sure, he was, is and will always look and be the best. smiley smiley smiley smiley

It's funny how people see what they want.

Jesus actually looked like a mad man according to history. He didn't even take showers daily. He was poor and broke at the same time. What actually prompted most of his preachings against hypocrisy was the opression he witnessed first-hand. So if you asked me, I'd say he wasn't the son of God. But even if he really was, looking attractive would have contradicted his intended persona.
Re: One Question For All Christians by thesilent1(m): 8:58am On May 10, 2007
okay, lets get something clear; if the history of israel is anything to go by, then why not just look at a middle eastern person and you will have a GENERAL idea of what he looked like. In the same way, if he was born in Lagos, he would look like a Naija man and speak the language!

The pictures we see are from a western view point.

PS - How the heck good looking good contradict his intended persona?!?!?!?!?!?!? LOL i am not even going to say anything to that.
Re: One Question For All Christians by muhsin(m): 9:46am On May 10, 2007
Lol!

Our Christian sisters and brothers. Why there still no concrete anwer is given regarding the writers question? Don't you believe in Jesus? Or its the picture that you don't believe in? Or what else?

Surprisingly enough, I read somewhere (among the replies) somebody was saying that its simply from the west. What do you specifically refer to? Are you just imitating the practice of the religion without deep comprehension of its content is or what? I think you don't have to say that as you are always going probably to church, attending sermons and othe religious gathering. Isn't it?

, still waiting to hear from you before we come up with our based belief about Jesus picture.

Another question please- Why the pictures don't always look the same? How many Jesus do we have?
Re: One Question For All Christians by stimulus(m): 10:46am On May 10, 2007
@muhsin,

Your question is irrelevant actually. If you're asking from a Muslim point of view, then I would like to know what you really think; and then we can compare with what is stated in their books.

There have been different artistic impressions made as to what Jesus might have looked like. Whether or not He was white or black, so-and-so feet tall, etc. are not questions germane to our salvation. It has been one of the issues that have spiralled out of context for many people to expose their racist biases.

Above all questions of this sort, for me it is enough to read what is stated in 2 Cor. 5:16-17 --

"Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known
Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more. Therefore if any man
be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are
become new."

That He came as a Jew is without debate; and thereto, the Bible makes clear that "salvation is of the Jews" (John 4:22). However, it is irrelevant in what skin colour He came; for through Him, "the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men" (Tit. 2:11).

Salvation in Jesus Christ has been offered; it is still being offered - and that is what matters above issues of what He looked like by artistic impressions.

God bless you. smiley

1 Like

Re: One Question For All Christians by thesilent1(m): 10:51am On May 10, 2007
mushin,
i suppose every painting ever done of you all look the same!?!?!?! LOL

One question though, following the nazarene vow and knowing the nature of the nazarene vow, does anyone ever wonder why none of our pictures or paitings never have JC in dreads?!?!?!

personally, i know this is all irrelevant and the wrong issue, but its a nice humorous chat! and nothing else
Re: One Question For All Christians by muhsin(m): 2:00pm On May 10, 2007
stimulus:

@muhsin,

Your question is irrelevant actually. If you're asking from a Muslim point of view, then I would like to know what you really think; and then we can compare with what is stated in their books.

There have been different artistic impressions made as to what Jesus might have looked like. Whether or not He was white or black, so-and-so feet tall, etc. are not questions germane to our salvation. It has been one of the issues that have spiralled out of context for many people to expose their racist biases.

Above all questions of this sort, for me it is enough to read what is stated in 2 Cor. 5:16-17 --

"Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known
Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more. Therefore if any man
be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are
become new."

That He came as a Jew is without debate; and thereto, the Bible makes clear that "salvation is of the Jews" (John 4:22). However, it is irrelevant in what skin colour He came; for through Him, "the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men" (Tit. 2:11).

Salvation in Jesus Christ has been offered; it is still being offered - and that is what matters above issues of what He looked like by artistic impressions.

God bless you. smiley

Am afraid, but I think there is no irrelevance in my reply. SO they say understanding of thing is just like face. Everyones look deffirent. So, I don't know if you actually got me clearly.
Further, I was not asking from the Muslims. Who the question concerns? Christians, I believe.
Re: One Question For All Christians by stimulus(m): 2:04pm On May 10, 2007
muhsin:

Am afraid, but I think there is no irrelevance in my reply. SO they say understanding of thing is just like face. Everyones look deffirent. So, I don't know if you actually got me clearly.

Sorry if I spilled your beans - silly me! I'm known for exposing fraud; so don't take me seriously at all.

So, before I spill another one, what exactly were you trying to say? grin

muhsin:

Further, I was not asking from the Muslims. Who the question concerns? Christians, I believe.

We hear! Muslim asking Christian the question - now it does not concern the enquirers!! grin
Re: One Question For All Christians by thesilent1(m): 2:30pm On May 10, 2007
with all due respect, what the heck has what Jesus LOOKED like got to do with anything!?!?!?!?!?!?!

when you get a birthday present, are you more concerned with the wrapping paper or the gift inside?!?!?!?!?!?!

i could not care less if he looked green and hand 5 heads!!! he came, he walked, he died, he paid the price of sin! case closed!!!

now, if you want to argue about what he looked like instead of being blessed by what he brought to us; go right ahead!"!!!

I know Jesus does not need me to defend his name! it is still the most famous name of all time! the most called on name of all time!!! even The Times named him as man of the century!!!!!!!!!! you want to try and attack a person's looks over his heart!?!?!?!!? listen, even Martin Luther King had a saying for people like that, "I have a dream!!!!!! that some day black kids and white kids and play together, that a man will be judged by the CONTENT of his heart and not the colour of his skin!!!!!"

Peace!
Re: One Question For All Christians by muhsin(m): 2:44pm On May 13, 2007
thesilent1 , you really did talk correct. Thanks for the approach.And God Bless.
Re: One Question For All Christians by YOUNGDICEs(m): 3:19pm On May 13, 2007
but us muslim does not take a fake picture of mahomed and show it to people to believe that's mohamed.
Re: One Question For All Christians by Gwaine(m): 8:32pm On May 13, 2007
YOUNGDICE$:

but us muslim does not take a fake picture of mahomed and show it to people to believe that's mohamed.

I'm dazed.  undecided  Was it not a Muslim who posted that picture up there with his lame question?

BTW, what is so strange about taking pictures in Islam?  Can any Muslim give me at least 5 good reasons why taking pictures is so disdainful in Islam?

---------------------------

While you guys are at it, I think I so like this one - because it captures the advancements made so far that part of the world:

[img]http://beforeithappens./files/2007/02/060401_sadrprofile_vlwidec.jpg[/img]

grin cheesy grin
Re: One Question For All Christians by fadal(m): 9:59pm On May 13, 2007
but at least we don't run around with the devils image and be pretending that's MOHAMED.
Re: One Question For All Christians by Gwaine(m): 10:03pm On May 13, 2007
fadal:

but at least we don't run around with the devils image and be pretending that's MOHAMED.

That's true; and neither do Christians do that. That's why I still wonder what's so strange about taking pictures in Islam. cool
Re: One Question For All Christians by fadal(m): 10:28pm On May 13, 2007
there's no prblem taking pictures in islam,i don't know what u talking about i got a hole bunch of my family pictures and they never hated i don't know what's u talking about.
Re: One Question For All Christians by mrpataki(m): 10:38pm On May 13, 2007
fadal:

there's no prblem taking pictures in islam,
So is there a problem with having an image or a picture in christianity? undecided
Re: One Question For All Christians by YOUNGDICEs(m): 10:44pm On May 13, 2007
@mrpataki

YES THERE'S A PROBLEM OF HAVING A PICTURE OF A FAKE DUDE YALL DIDN'T EVEN KNOW.
Re: One Question For All Christians by mukina2: 10:50pm On May 13, 2007
i sometimes wonder too.

i remember asking my pals one time and one of them told me .they got an image of Jesus's face when they used a cloth to wipe his face undecided
Re: One Question For All Christians by Gwaine(m): 10:51pm On May 13, 2007
@YOUNGDICE$,

YOUNGDICE$:

That's not even the issue; so please just stay focused. The core issue here has become one about concerns with having pictures in Islam. What does Islam say about the issue of Muslim having pictures?
Re: One Question For All Christians by YOUNGDICEs(m): 10:51pm On May 13, 2007
MUKINA2 LOL

Gwaine WHITE PEOPLE TAKE THE PICTURE OF THAT ACTOR IN THE JESUS MOVIE AND LIE TO AFRICANS THAT'S JESUS AND YALL BELIEVE THEM OH ALLAH YALL SUM DUMMY'S.
Re: One Question For All Christians by mrpataki(m): 10:52pm On May 13, 2007
YOUNGDICE$:

@mrpataki

First you could save the gutter language for the hood.

Now Jesus said Blessed are those who have not seen me yet have believed! Furthermore what else do we need as a testimony that he was here with us other than which we see?

I know HIM! and have felt him in my life. He exist for real! Not a Muhammad who left destruction for the whole world to continually regret in it.
Re: One Question For All Christians by Gwaine(m): 10:55pm On May 13, 2007
fadal:

there's no prblem taking pictures in islam,i don't know what u talking about i got a hole bunch of my family pictures and they never hated i don't know what's u talking about.

See why I wonder about this dramatized answers you guys often give as responses to simple issues?

Okay, you don't know what I'm talking about; and we both can be forgiven for that. However, is it not true that Islam has some aversion to Muslims having pictures?

If there's no problem about pictures in Islam, Muslims would not have had to boil all over the world for simply depicting Muhammad in picturescartoons; afterall, cartoons about Jesus abound.

There again, we're not about cartoons; but rather about pictures. So, what's the fuss all about in the picture aversions taught in Islam?
Re: One Question For All Christians by YOUNGDICEs(m): 10:56pm On May 13, 2007
MUKINA2 LOL

Gwaine WHITE PEOPLE TAKE THE PICTURE OF THAT ACTOR IN THE JESUS MOVIE AND LIE TO AFRICANS THAT'S JESUS AND YALL BELIEVE THEM OH ALLAH YALL SUM DUMMY'S.
Re: One Question For All Christians by Gwaine(m): 10:59pm On May 13, 2007
@YOUNGDICE$,

Know what? Just let me attend to this phone call, and then I'll be back shortly.

It's just quite unfortunate that only dramatized answers keep popping up in straight forward issues like this.
Re: One Question For All Christians by Gwaine(m): 12:04am On May 14, 2007
@YOUNGDICE$,

Right, back now.

The reason why I'm pointing out these upshots is because most of us know that Islam bares some deep-seated concerns about Muslims having pictures - whether pictures taken or drawn about human beings or animals. There is a staggering collection of verses in the hadiths that reveal this; and the following are a selection that stand precisely to the point:

Narrated Said bin Abu Al-Hasan: While I was with Ibn 'Abbas a man came and said, "O father of 'Abbas! My sustenance is from my manual profession and I make these pictures." Ibn 'Abbas said, "I will tell you only what I heard from Allah's Apostle . I heard him saying, 'Whoever makes a picture will be punished by Allah till he puts life in it, and he will never be able to put life in it.' " Hearing this, that man heaved a sigh and his face turned pale. Ibn 'Abbas said to him, "What a pity! If you insist on making pictures I advise you to make pictures of trees and any other unanimated objects." (Sahih Bukhari, Vol. 3, Book 34, Num. 428)

Narrated 'Aisha: I stuffed for the Prophet a pillow decorated with pictures (of animals) which looked like a Namruqa (i.e. a small cushion). He came and stood among the people with excitement apparent on his face. I said, "O Allah's Apostle! What is wrong?" He said, "What is this pillow?" I said, "I have prepared this pillow for you, so that you may recline on it." He said, "Don't you know that angels do not enter a house wherein there are pictures; and whoever makes a picture will be punished on the Day of Resurrection and will be asked to give life to (what he has created)?" (Sahih Bukhari, Vol. 4, Book 54, Num. 447)

Narrated Abu Talha: I heard Allah's Apostle saying; "Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal)." (Sahih Bukhari, Vol. 4, Book 54, Num. 448)

Narrated Ibn Abbas: Abu Talha, a companion of Allah's Apostle and one of those who fought at Badr together with Allah's Apostle told me that Allah's Apostle said. "Angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture" He meant the images of creatures that have souls. (Sahih Bukhari, Vol. 5, Book 59, Num. 338)

Narrated 'Aisha: The Prophet entered upon me while there was a curtain having pictures (of animals) in the house. His face got red with anger, and then he got hold of the curtain and tore it into pieces. The Prophet said, "Such people as paint these pictures will receive the severest punishment on the Day of Resurrection." (Sahih Bukhari, Vol. 8, Book 73, Num. 130)

Narrated Anas: Aisha had a thick curtain (having pictures on it) and she screened the side of her i house with it. The Prophet said to her, "Remove it from my sight, for its pictures are still coming to my mind in my prayers." (Sahih Bukhari, Vol. 7, Book 72, Num. 842)

After going through the texts about pictures, I wonder what all the fuss was about that made Muhammad hate pictures that much? Do you care to offer explanations than the threats already made in those texts?

For those who proclaim themselves Muslims and still have pictures in their possession, what do you have to say to all the reactions from Muhammad in those hadiths? 

-------------------

NB.  (editted and added)

I meant to add this link as well for further artistic depictions:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-47763.0.html#msg1020483

You know what? It is really funny to imagine that those who make or possess pictures will receive the severest punishment; which should make us wonder about murderers and sex perverts in the name of religion - any religion!!

It seems to me that anything that Muhammad just didn't like, he thoughtlessly pronounced "severest punishment" over them - and many people have bought into that excuse of going to hell over the matter of pictures!

As long as you're not worshipping those pictures, there's just nothing to worry over. Free yourself from this "pictures-send-you-to-hell" business, and have loads of them! If them ask you, tell them say na me Gwaine send you - and nothing will come out of it!!
  cool
Re: One Question For All Christians by fadal(m): 12:17am On May 14, 2007
muslim don't hate pictures they only hate when someone goes on an draw a picture of mohamed,we don't know the real face of mohamed or how he looks like we just know that his our prophet.
Re: One Question For All Christians by Gwaine(m): 12:26am On May 14, 2007
fadal:

muslim don't hate pictures

"Muslims don't hate pictures" - which is the very reason why you should set yourselves free from the threeat of going to hell because you possess them! Take loads of them, preserve your childhood memories; or if you're grown past that - then preserve the blessed memories of the first crops of beards you had, like me!! grin

fadal:

they only hate when someone goes on an draw a picture of mohamed,

What's wrong with that?? Haven't people tried to make artistic depictions of the other prophets? Why should Muhammad's case tear the world asunder??

fadal:

we don't know the real face of mohamed or how he looks like we just know that his our prophet.

Yada-yada!!

The truth is that there were artists back in Muhammad's day that would easily have captured Muhammad's portrait for us; but there can't be any such pictures of him because he threatened everyone with the "severest punishment" in hell!!

Enjoy your pictures today - you won't end up in any hell for simply possessing them! cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Story Of Bilal Or Bilaal / Quran 2:191- ‘and Kill Them Wherever You Find Them…’ Explained / What The Great Prophet Said About Hell!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.