Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,406 members, 7,822,862 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? (3437 Views)

Joblessness Got Me Obsessed With Nairaland / Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? / Why Are Nigerians Made Scapegoat For Scams All Over The World? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by cuteNhot(f): 6:56pm On Apr 29, 2007
i have been wondering if this is the reason why
Nigeria is the headquarters for 419.
This morbid obsession with money
has caused a negative image to portrayed to the world
Say "Nigerian" an immediately the image of someone who will do "ANYTHING"
to acquire wealth is conjured.

You say no!!! tell me where i am wrong.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by naijacutee(f): 7:10pm On Apr 29, 2007
Because money in Nigeria is usually equal to respect. Undeserved or not.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by Loads: 8:12pm On Apr 29, 2007
Nigerian are not Obesssed with money. THE HUMAN RACE IS OBESSESED with money. Come to Europe and see for your self. Go to Asian, america etc. You think Nigeria is bad abi. You haven't seen anything yet. If you are involved with doing business with people round the world you will be amazed.

Your topic should be Why are Human Beings Obessesed with Money.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by arizona(m): 11:11pm On Apr 29, 2007
money is good but it is also bad if you allow it to control you. Nigerians are not only obsessed with money, it is the same every where. just look at the case of Nicole smith, Howard stern, Verge & Larry. Everything is about money. Any slightest mistake with anybody here in state, will make you cough out money.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by bluesky4(f): 11:12pm On Apr 29, 2007
the love of money is the root to all evil oooo!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by ABCDEFGHIJ(m): 11:13pm On Apr 29, 2007
cute_N_hot:

i have been wondering if this is the reason why
Nigeria is the headquarters for 419.
This morbid obsession with money
has caused a negative image to portrayed to the world
Say "Nigerian" an immediately the image of someone who will do "ANYTHING"
to acquire wealth is conjured.

You say no!!! tell me where i am wrong.

you be mumu - no be money they make you dey do wetin u dey do right now? u just open yah mouth begin say - hagh yajk hj lauga l uahla hg
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by deejay1(m): 12:36am On Apr 30, 2007
because money is power simple.
blue-sky:

the love of money is the root to all evil oooo!
ooooooohhh who told you that?bible? grow up you
it all depends on where you get your money from to be honest.and it not only nigerian that likes money. every1 in this world is/are obsessed with or about money.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by dollyp1cute(f): 2:52pm On May 02, 2007
The only reason why it seems Nigerians are obsessed with money is because Nigers are generally loud and especially showing off once they have it.

So the real truth Nigerians are obessesed with loud mouthedness and showing off.

You will see a nigerian who does not know the way to Murtala bragging loudly to his friends he has so and so deal with Barclays bank.

The russian mafias, the American Mobs, the sheiks in the arab world infact the whole world is obessed with money most even more than nigerians but we are the ones that makes noise more hence the 'label'.
cool

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by mandi: 1:44am On May 03, 2007
Abundance is the natural law of the Universe.

Focus, think and feel you have money, you get more money, it is the law of the Universe. (same goes for health, respect, love, poverty, relationships (no one wants that!))

You are what you think!!! So to answer your question, they are not obsessed. They are just using their natural talent to attract money to them.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by Rlst84sale(m): 2:03am On May 03, 2007
Mandi

whoever you are, thank you.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by cuteNhot(f): 4:24am On May 03, 2007
mandi:

Focus, think and feel you have money, you get more money, it is the law of the Universe. (same goes for health, respect, love, poverty, relationships (no one wants that!))

You are what you think!!! So to answer your question, they are not obsessed. They are just using their natural talent to attract money to them.
i am feeling very generous this day, so i wont savage your "reasoning".
however, suffice it to say, base on your comments, Nigeria(as a group of people), should be the richest in the world smiley
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by outlaws(m): 4:40am On May 03, 2007
cool
You got the money, you got the whole world.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by Yes4u(m): 11:29am On May 03, 2007
Well, Money is a powerful tool you can use to get whatever you want. Therefore money is power, hence in naija people are ready to die for money like the politicians.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by joshO: 1:06pm On May 03, 2007
The world loves money, and we all know that money can buy you a measure of respect everywhere.

But I have to admit that there is something amiss in Nigeria. Money is the ONLY think that buys you respect and recognition. In Nigeria, how you make your money is of no consequence as long as you can live in a big house and drive a 4x4. Your neigbours worship you and you're confered with chieftaincy titles and honorary degrees.

At least in the civilised world, people make an effort to conceal their source of wealth in order to gain respectibility. If you're of the criminal type, your wealth will draw more attention from the security services than adoring fans, as you're more likely to be treated with suspicion and indifference.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by DisGuy: 1:46pm On May 03, 2007
mandi:

well if thats the case there wont be too many poor people in nigeria! everybody will be driving a cool car!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by bodlicious: 2:11pm On May 03, 2007
Peeps,
All this craze about money is good.
But what's 'gooder' and ensures it's continous flow is when u give it out.
I can tell cos each time i give out more, i get unbelievable returns.
Just try it - is it d hailing or the gratitude from the people dat benefited from it? anyone wan try am?
(It's will be nice if nobody insults my intelligence by smirking!) wink
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by mandi: 5:53am On May 04, 2007
I was referring to the people that focus on money, and not Nigeria as a nation. Apparently in Nigeria, most people are focused on poverty (see the condition of the country as proof) guess what, the Universe delivers. Always. He never fails.

We all have it within us to create what we want (no, you cannot create for someone else). Google deliberate creation or Law of Deliberate Creation and see for yourself.

http://www.cleaningoutthecloset.com/pdf/scienceofgettingrich.pdf
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by namdo(m): 12:17pm On May 04, 2007
Strange question. Money 'answers' all things and money is a defense. Hope you've heard these before? cool

No bi only Naija people de look for money. Why is it now an obsession, na waaaaoooo!

shalom.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by Berlinwall(m): 1:37pm On May 06, 2007
I think we're mixing things here. I don't think the issue is whether or not people should honestly and diligently pursue and better their economic situations. That most people everywhere will aspire to make their lives better by way of pursuing a means of livelihood is surely not the bone of contention here.

But I understand "cute_N_hot" to mean that there's certainly something wrong when the mention of NIgeria anywhere abroad immediately rings alarm bells. Just google Nigeria now and top on the list of results are cases or warnings of fraud involving Nigerians. There's nothing more sickening as having to be continously be on the list of people to be given the "extra treament" when you're abroad for no other reason other than the fact you're a Nigerian. For those of us who're trying to make honest living this is a burden that we can surely do without.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by joobreel(m): 6:56pm On May 06, 2007
i agree with berlinwall. some of those that made comments got her message wrong. she was referring to those that engage in illegit means of soughting after money. anyways you might not really blame an oppressed nigeria youth with his university certicate with good class of result but without job after some years. or the one without those links in high places. its not that there no legit businesses in nigeria but you know 'information is power'. the second reason is the quest to make it FAST. you myt not really want to blame an oppressed citizen that has the information of legits but realise that those with illegits make it faster without being caught in the act. you would see the so called 419ers driving flashy cars and our so called officials arrest the for some period and later see these 'big boys' back on the street after settling their ways through.
and lets be frank, the issue is these con men are every where on the globe. the little difference in nigeria is that they dont mind to let you know by their ways what they do. but, over there, their shady deals are covered up by some little legitimate business they do like singing.
lets just hope it gets better for nigeria and nierians.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by tushbobo(m): 1:24pm On Sep 23, 2009
1.Money makes d world go round grin grin grin grin grin

2.The bible says money answers all things cool cool cool

3.Money=power+respect(which every body wants) grin grin

4.Money unlocks all pussies-only the price varies shocked
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by N9528GB: 9:16pm On Sep 25, 2009
Behind bobo:

1.Money makes d world go round grin grin grin grin grin

2.The bible says money answers all things cool cool cool

3.Money=power+respect(which every body wants) grin grin

4.Money unlocks all pussies-only the price varies shocked

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin grin grin this guy spoke my mind out to the letter LOL!!!

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Sep 26, 2009
I recently relocated to Nigeria, was born and bred in Lagos and all I can say is that it seems like I've never lived in that city before and there's a new "breed of Lagosians" walking the streets.

It's amazing, people will say anything for a quick buck, too many of the people you meet are trying to figure out a way to rip you off so it's not just the 419 guys. There are many "junior 419" who are training for the big leagues.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by DisGuy: 1:22pm On Sep 27, 2009
It's Scary!!!

people are not just satisfied with their place or position!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by Toks2008(m): 1:27pm On Sep 27, 2009
The truth is that our love for money is not our fault.

Its simply as a result of the type of economy we find ourselves in. For instance, take a look at accommodation,unlike in UK or other countries where you are asked to pay for just one month advance or 3 months max. But in Nigeria, you may have to pay 2years advance or more and you will see yourself paying through your nose to get just a room face me i face trouble apartment in a slum.  

We also live in a cash and carry country where you are expected to pay for whatever before getting it so tell me why Nigerians will not be over zealous in the quest for money.

Even just to marry a wife, you will be surprised when expenses are planed out meanwhile the millioners abroad will just call few friends and family members together.

PHCN is also adding to this fuss because an average Nigerian will want to get a good gen set to power air conditioners,freezers and even iron not mentioning fueling the gen regularly. Look at bus drivers setting arbitrary fares and prices of commodities skyrocketing without adequate monitoring agencies to checkmate these crazy anomalies.

I am so scared to dabble into Land issue because i always wonder what will happen in years from now when we are buying just one plot of land for 1million naira in a swamp for that matter when you will be looking at 5m or 15m 0r even 200million for just one plot of land in Abuja HABBA. And you are wondering why Nigerians are crazy to make money.

Ok look at our puppet oh sorry President, making policies that will drive more people into wild determination to get money. Banning tokunbo cars over 10 years when an average level 14 civil servant cannot even afford cars of over 20years. thereby promoting smuggling and enriching the customs who cannot even afford to buy an okada with their salary now driving big cars and living large.

I can go on enumerating various reasons why Nigerians go all out to get this money but the truth is that but for the nature of the National society we find ourselves in, things would have been very different.

Toks
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by Witi(m): 1:53pm On Sep 28, 2009
In nigeria money can buy you virtually anything freedom ( to even kill), power anything at all
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed with Money? by amyliajane(f): 4:51pm On Sep 30, 2009
@ Topic,

i really agree with wat Bode has said, it was very well said and its so unfortunate cause its the situation and the country we find ourselves

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Billionaire Twins Who Bought $10m Worth Of Bitcoin Per $8 / Alumax / Aluco Bond Aluminium Composite Panel. Affordable Sale And Installation / Aboki Account: USA Cash Deposit Accounts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.