Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

What Is The Solution To Police Harrassment, Brutality And Extortion In Nigeria - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / What Is The Solution To Police Harrassment, Brutality And Extortion In Nigeria (417 Views)

₦30,300,000 IGP STS Extortion In Abuja (Photos) / Police Officers Mistakenly Record Themselves After Extortion In Delta / Tanzanian Thief Surrenders To Police As Stolen Bag 'Refuses To Leave His Head' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Solution To Police Harrassment, Brutality And Extortion In Nigeria by bishopkay: 3:45pm On Apr 10, 2019
Police brutality and harrassment have taken more dangerous trends these days with brazen attacks on citizens without provocation, shooting and killing of citizens, indiscriminate and arbitrary arrest of citizens especially the youth with unproven weighty allegations leveled against them by the police. Destruction of properties because of jealousy like the case of the policeman who went viral for destroying the iPhone X of a boy simply because he who has worked for 13 years can't afford it.

The police force which should be a shining example of justice and honour has proven over time to have none. Neither honour nor justice can be found within the walls of a police station as even the devil would shudder at the lies our policemen are capable of telling. Except perhaps you can pay your way in the very high thousands or millions to pursue your own case.

The mindset of an average police man on the streets or station is you're guilty even before you left your home. This in turn has made the minds of average Nigerians very prejudiced against members of the police force with some even commending and encouraging attacks and assassinations carried out on their operatives, and rejoice when misfortune be falls them because they'd say them all are the same.

But two wrongs they say can't make a right so we just have to look out for possible solutions to the problem.

I and some friends are currently working on a template on curbing this evil trend by policemen on our roads be it SARS, SACS or even the normal olokpa on the streets but we need ideas. Workable Ideas that we can use to put a stop to this.

Actions and efforts of human rights activists like Mr Segun Awosanya AKA Segalink and our own very Rugged Man who are foremost agitators for the #EndSARS and #ReformPolice movement, my own very Mr Harrison Gwamnishu of the behind bars initiative (BBI) who has made himself a thorn in the flesh of recalcitrant police officers who have made themselves demi gods in Delta state, and many more people whom I may not know Are appreciated; but we need more Because There is an innocent being harassed every hour in this country especially the southern part and it has to stop!

In Delta state for example, police have transformed to "God" as they arrest, make very incriminating statements on the behalf of the arrested person and force them to sign all in a bid to oppress, intimidate and extort the youth.

Many have died at the hands of the police and their killers in the police still wear the uniform to perpetuate more illegalities. When there is an outrage, the errant officers are transferred to another place and brought back when the matter has ebbed.

So now I ask, how do we solve this? This is becoming a national emergency which we still treat with levity and if we are not careful it would consume us soon.

The police over time have released phone numbers to the public to call.to report such cases to but many of these numbers ring unanswered, even when they answer, they are so rude on phone and Las Las nothing happens except perhaps you are a big man.

Again I ask what are workable ways we can get this done? Don't wait for it to get to your turn before you know it is a serious matter!

I know some people would come here to say dreadlocks and tattoos attract these mad Men in uniform but I want to point it out to you that they harass both bald headed people and even people dressed in corporate attire so this is not a thread for profiling but for solutions.

If you have solutions and phone numbers and contacts, please share them

Mods please move this to FP so we can have a reasonable discussion
CC:
Seun
Lalasticlala
Ishilove
Dominique
Re: What Is The Solution To Police Harrassment, Brutality And Extortion In Nigeria by Generalkaycee(m): 3:49pm On Apr 10, 2019
They are not invincible... Jungle justice
Re: What Is The Solution To Police Harrassment, Brutality And Extortion In Nigeria by Pentasoft1978: 3:49pm On Apr 10, 2019
Death penalty ...when proven in court
Re: What Is The Solution To Police Harrassment, Brutality And Extortion In Nigeria by Realist5: 3:50pm On Apr 10, 2019
Stone them to death when found guilty.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Solution To Police Harrassment, Brutality And Extortion In Nigeria by bishopkay: 3:56pm On Apr 10, 2019
Generalkaycee:
They are not invincible... Jungle justice

grin we share same sentiments but this would only make the people in the vicinity unsafe when the rogues in uniform come back to raid.
Re: What Is The Solution To Police Harrassment, Brutality And Extortion In Nigeria by bishopkay: 3:58pm On Apr 10, 2019
Is there a way we can lobby the state houses of assembly and even the national assembly to create laws for these specifically?

I believe these things are in the police act though we just need ideas or a dedicated office to tackle these atrocities

(1) (Reply)

Remorseful 'yahoo Boy' Sentenced To Six Months Imprisonment / FRSC Van Crashes In Ibadan While Chasing Alleged Traffic Offender - Photo / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.