Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,356 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Medical Degree Or Accounting? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Medical Degree Or Accounting? (685 Views)

Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? / 5 High Paying Jobs Without A Degree Or Experience I Repeat You Dont Require Them / Foreign Masters Degree Or Professional Training In ElC&A (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medical Degree Or Accounting? by Thunderbird007: 5:34pm On Apr 10, 2019
Good day Nairalanders, I trust you all are having a great day.

I'm facing a pretty challenging dilemma right now, and I'd love your inputs. I'm 19 and I just finished my third year of Microbiology and I'm currently on my SIWES program. Shortly before my sophomore year, my dad encouraged me to begin ICAN by starting ATS, and I finished ATS 3, the final stage of the ICAN preliminaries in September. If things go as planned, I should be done with my ICAN programme shortly after my BSc. degree.

However, I really love Medicine. Its the course I've always wanted. I'm currently on a 2:1 now, a few points shy of a first class. I'm not sure if a second class upper can get me a DE into MBBS. If MBBS doesnt work, can my ICAN qualification allow me to begin a career in accounting or get an MBA even without an Accounting degree? What's my best path to take from here? I don't want to mess this up.
Thank you all in anticipation.

1 Like

Re: Medical Degree Or Accounting? by iamforesight: 2:56pm On Apr 14, 2019
"If MBBS doesn't work", yes, ICAN qualification can allow you begin a good career in the field of Accounting.
I was faced with a similar but not exactly same situation. After my secondary school education, despite being a very sound Science student, I wrote and passed all stages of ATS exams (1 & 2) while waiting for admission to study medicine & surgery in a Nigerian University.
With my ATS I was admitted into HND Accountancy programme. Moved on to apply for direct entry with my HND Accounting certificate. Today, I am a proud holder of AAT, HND Accounting, BSc. Finance and ACA. Having a satisfying career in the field of Accounting.
Be assured that there are lots of routes and opportunities to have a satisfying career in Accounting once you qualify as a Chartered Accountant.
However, may plead that you work hard enough to excel and remain in the field you love most - Medicine.

Thunderbird007:

I'm facing a pretty challenging dilemma right now, and I'd love your inputs. I'm 19 and I just finished my third year of Microbiology and I'm currently on my SIWES program. Shortly before my sophomore year, my dad encouraged me to begin ICAN by starting ATS, and I finished ATS 3, the final stage of the ICAN preliminaries in September. If things go as planned, I should be done with my ICAN programme shortly after my BSc. degree.

However, I really love Medicine. Its the course I've always wanted. I'm currently on a 2:1 now, a few points shy of a first class. I'm not sure if a second class upper can get me a DE into MBBS. If MBBS doesnt work, can my ICAN qualification allow me to begin a career in accounting or get an MBA even without an Accounting degree? What's my best path to take from here? I don't want to mess this up.

2 Likes

Re: Medical Degree Or Accounting? by DonroxyII: 8:28pm On Apr 14, 2019
Thunderbird007:

Since Medicine is your chosen Career , Go onto becoming a medical doctor if you so desire as you are still young .... But A2A, If medicine doesn't work, ICAN can allow you to progress into MBA , I will recommend you also find accounting/Finance related job so as to have experience ......

If you desire accounting degree so as to be able to compete effectively , Go for ACCA using your ICAN to claim exemption but allowing yourself to qualify for Oxford Brooke's Btech/B.sc in Accounting .
Google more on ACCA and Oxford Brooke's!!
Re: Medical Degree Or Accounting? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Apr 19, 2019
I would advice you stick to medicine since you love.

(1) (Reply)

See The Building A 19 Year Old Boy Constructed That Makes People Talking / Maritime, Offshore, Sailors And Safety / Acquired Free Poultry Biz Practical Knowledge Here Before Loose Your Investment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.