Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:14 AM

Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 (93278 Views)

Ajax Vs Tottenham Hotspur: UCL Semi-Finals (2 - 3) On 8th May 2019 / Chelsea Vs Arsenal: Europa Cup Final (4 - 1) On 29th May 2019 / Liverpool vs Barcelona: UCL Semi-Finals (4 - 0) On 7th May 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by luvola(m): 4:56am On Apr 14, 2019
Liverpool face Barcelona in their Champions League semi-final first leg on Wednesday, with Jurgen Klopp potentially facing a selection dilemma.
The next seven days could shape Klopp's legacy at Anfield but his decisions in terms of managing a squad as he tries to juggle a European and a pivotal Premier League clash just 72 hours later in Newcastle - live on Sky - should not be underestimated.
Jamie Carragher pondered last week: "The question of which tournament to prioritise has been shrugged off until now, Klopp deflecting the question by explaining the 'next game' is most important."
But, it is something that can be ignored no longer. If Liverpool can win at Newcastle on
Saturday Night Football, they will return to the top, therefore piling the pressure back on to Manchester City for their clash with in-form Leicester on Monday Night Football.
Liverpool team news
Roberto Firmino appears to be winning his race to be fit after a muscle tear, but a late decision will be made. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is available after returning against Huddersfield following a serious knee injury earlier this season. Young striker Rhian Brewster was included in the 23-man travelling party.
Newcastle vs Liverpool
May 4, 2019, 7:00pm
Live on
Get Sky Sports Get a Sky Sports pass
The data shows that an away trip in a Champions League semi-final can affect the performance level in the next league game. Manchester United failed to win four of their seven league games following an away day European semi-final and Liverpool themselves were beaten 1-0 at Chelsea last season after travelling back from their second leg with Roma.
Liverpool have tended to struggle for intensity at times after a European midweek trip. As the table below shows, the Reds have struggled for goals, scoring just 17 in 11 games. That is an average of 1.5 goal per game which is well down on their usual average of 2.24 per game under Klopp in the last two seasons. Included in those 11 games is a 1-1 draw with Saturday's opponents Newcastle in 2017, where Liverpool lacked spark after a midweek trip to play Spartak Moscow.
So, should Klopp rest some of his stars with Saturday in mind? His major decision will regard his front three. Roberto Firmino missed last Friday's Premier League defeat of Huddersfield with what Klopp described as a "small muscle tear" - he is in the squad but can he be risked to play two emotionally and physically draining matches within 72 hours of each other?
Barcelona team news
Barcelona have a near full-strength side to select from with Rafinha the only player missing with a long-term knee injury. Lionel Messi and Philippe Coutinho both only played 45 minutes on Saturday to keep their legs fresh for this encounter.
And then there is Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah, with 50 goals between them this season. Having at least one of them fully charged for Saturday makes sense - but resting them for a Champions League semi-final? Klopp wouldn't would he?
Analysis
Ahead of Wednesday night's game, Sky Sports take a look at three main talking points; whether Liverpool's former players will hurt them, why Jurgen Klopp two-legged knockout tie record is up there with the best, and just how Liverpool can find a weakness in the newly-crowned La Liga champions.
Messi and Barcelona stand between Liverpool and a second-straight Champions League final
Gary Neville's view....
"Carragher summed it up on Friday Night Football saying if Manchester City dropped points at Burnley then Klopp would have prioritised the huge Newcastle game and leave two or three players out in Barcelona, as two wins would have made them champions.
"However, now City have won, Liverpool should play their best team in Barcelona as they've got a chance to get to a Champions League final against Tottenham or Ajax. The problem with that is you're asking Liverpool players - who don't look like they're tiring by the way - to go to the Nou Camp, which is a different level of mental and physical asks. They'll then have to deal with the travel back to Anfield and then play away on a Saturday evening in Newcastle. It's a tough ask.​​​​​​​
"People will be thinking 'these players are on so much money - how can it be so difficult?' But even when I travel back from games now and get home at 3am, I don't feel quite right for the next 48 hours. And that's how footballers are but they are being asked to produce a physical job. Klopp should go full-strength in Barca."
Van Dijk keen to erase Nou Camp memory
Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk wants to erase the memory of his only other appearance at the Nou Camp... a 6-1 defeat while at Celtic in December 2013.
"It is a nice stadium, an historic stadium and for me it was a great experience to play over there," he said. "It was my first time, my only time and my last time so far, so I am looking forward to playing them again, one of the best teams in the world, but I think this can be totally different than when I was there the last time."
Man City vs Leicester
May 6, 2019, 7:00pm
Live on
Get Sky Sports Get a Sky Sports pass
Valverde: Unleash Messi!
Lionel Messi won the La Liga title for the 10th time in his 15 seasons with Barcelona on Saturday. He scored the decisive goal that allowed the team to clinch their eighth league title in 11 seasons.
"I've rested Lionel Messi more than usual but this has been a month with two Champions League clashes, and twice we had to play three games in a week," Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde said
"We wanted to clinch the Spanish league title, but at the same time we also wanted to make sure he was prepared for this tie. I think I've probably got the balance right."
Debate guest Liam Rosenior reckons Liverpool's front three will worry Barcelona as much as Lionel Messi might worry the Reds.
Klopp on Messi and Coutinho
Klopp rates Messi as the best footballer he has seen in his career, telling reporters: "I didn't see Pele live but there are a lot of good players. Lionel Messi is for me the best."
The Reds boss will be reunited with Philippe Coutinho and admits he did not think he side could prosper as they have without him.
"Yes we miss Coutinho, a lot, because he is a world-class player and I loved working with him. But we had to deal without him and we really did well. When I first heard he wanted to go to Barcelona, I didn't imagine we could be that good [without him]."
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp admitted he didn't believe his team would be as good as they are when they sold Philippe Coutinho.
Charlie's prediction
"We are into the Hollywood part of the tournament now, and these two will be favourites to lift the trophy whoever reaches the final. Barcelona clinched the title and Lionel Messi scored in a 30-minute cameo and was, crucially, rested. When you hear Messi speak about individual things you know he means business, and he has come out and said he wants the Champions League in his locker once more.
"This is a 50/50 tie in my eyes, though. When you go to the Camp Nou, you have to be cautious. When you go and attack teams, Liverpool's weakness, if there is a weakness, is their midfield. The instinct here is to say lots of goals. The defensive qualities of both teams have improved, so Liverpool will have to be patient, they are quite good at doing that. That said, I fancy Luis Suarez to get his first goal of the campaign against his old team to leave the tie wide open for the second leg."
CHARLIE PREDICTS: Barcelona 2-1 Liverpool

https://www.skysports.com/football/barcelona-vs-liverpool/406464
Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by dominique(f): 7:33am On Apr 14, 2019
Both teams are yet to qualify o. Don't write out both opponents, anything can happen in the second leg

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by Nobody: 11:18am On Apr 14, 2019
Nawa o cheesy
Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by Lordjb: 1:45pm On Apr 14, 2019
Okay, let's go there, see my signature below for link to stream the match
Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by luvola(m): 11:40pm On Apr 14, 2019
dominique:
Both teams are yet to qualify o. Don't write out both opponents, anything can happen in the second leg
lol
Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by sotall(m): 8:45am On Apr 15, 2019
I can see some fans already consoling themselves after managing to get zero shots on target in their backyard. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by luvola(m): 8:59am On Apr 15, 2019
sotall:
I can see some fans already consoling themselves after managing to get zero shots on target in their backyard. grin grin
na space booking nah
Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by luvola(m): 6:05pm On Apr 17, 2019
Your view on this potential clash
Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by funkyjms: 10:34pm On Apr 17, 2019
kinibigdeal

Our wish has been granted by fate - a clash!

Please, keep your players safe, if possible sacrifice EPL for this!!
No excuse would be tenable!!

Barcelona at home first, so no that nonsense phrase from you EPL fans [s]"they always fix Barca away first"
[/s]

Let's settle this once and for all!!!!

1 Like

Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by kinibigdeal(m): 10:37pm On Apr 17, 2019
funkyjms:
kinibigdeal

Our wish has been granted by fate - a clash!

Please, keep your players safe, if possible sacrifice EPL for this!!
No excuse would be tenable!!

Barcelona at home first, so no that nonsense phrase from you EPL fans [s]"they always fix Barca away first"
[/s]

Let's settle this once and for all!!!!

You should be worried

1 Like

Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by funkyjms: 10:39pm On Apr 17, 2019
kinibigdeal:

You should be worried

Okay now, no long talk, start training from this evening! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by kinibigdeal(m): 10:41pm On Apr 17, 2019
funkyjms:

Okay now, no long talk, start training from this evening! grin grin

You know how it is grin. Don't try Anfield

1 Like

Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by luvola(m): 1:18am On Apr 18, 2019
dominique:
I guess right
Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by luvola(m): 1:24am On Apr 18, 2019
The phrase “Barcelona flights” was among the most searched on Google among Liverpool supporters long before referee Mario Diks blew the final whistle to put Porto out of their misery.
And those fans who had taken the calculated gamble of already sorting out their trips to Catalonia after last week's first match could be forgiven for feeling a bit smug right now.
Their faith in Jurgen Klopp and his players was emphatically rewarded by another hugely impressive Champions League performance in this quarter-final second leg.
Having netted five on their last visit to the Estadio do Dragao 14 months earlier, this time Liverpool declared on four.
They could have probably had more had they been so minded.
There was an air of authority, confidence and, of course, a sprinkling of real quality in this comprehensive dismissal of a side that had won their last four home Champions League games and completed an impressive comeback against Roma in the last round.
There was little sign of a repeat although Porto, to their credit, gave it a good go in the opening quarter, and never threw in the towel, echoing their relentless, impressive support.
But with the carrot of Barcelona in the semi-finals tantalisingly dangling before them, there was no way Liverpool were going to allow this opportunity to slip.
This, though, wasn't just about getting a job done.
The manner in which the Reds followed their 3-1 win at Bayern Munich with this romp highlighted how Klopp's side have found their groove again on the road after those missteps of the group stage.
This was a calling card, a statement of intent aimed directly towards Barcelona and, it must be said, a hurting Manchester City that their thirst for honours remains wholly unquenched.
Now it's a reunion with Philippe Coutinho and Luis Suarez, and the small matter of a tangle with some bloke called Lionel Messi.
With that standard of opposition to come next month, few Liverpool fans will be searching for “Madrid flights” in anticipation of the June final.
But with the Reds in this kind of devastatingly professional form, who could blame them if they are?

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-porto-manchester-city-news-16146392
Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by luvola(m): 7:16pm On Apr 19, 2019
Match preview coming soon.
Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by luvola(m): 3:41pm On Apr 23, 2019
Who is gonna win
Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by funkyjms: 3:58pm On Apr 28, 2019
kinibigdeal:

You know how it is grin. Don't try Anfield

I hope your boiz are fit?!!
No stories oo!!!

No need to reply, enjoy your ban in peace! tongue grin
Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by kinibigdeal(m): 5:02pm On Apr 28, 2019
funkyjms:

I hope your boiz are fit?!!
No stories oo!!!

No need to reply, enjoy your ban in peace! tongue grin

I will Be the first to call you
Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by funkyjms: 5:12pm On Apr 28, 2019
kinibigdeal:

I will Be the first to call you

We asked them to train, den busy dey romance undecided

Gaylords!

Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by kinibigdeal(m): 5:15pm On Apr 28, 2019
funkyjms:

Gaylords!

You done dey fear Mane already cheesy
Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by donoro(m): 2:15pm On Apr 29, 2019
This match is gonna be epic as the Egyptian Messi and the Argentinian Salah battle it out grin grin#ynwa

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by donoro(m): 2:17pm On Apr 29, 2019
funkyjms:

Gaylords!
wetin consign u

1 Like

Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by PMBtill2023: 11:36am On May 01, 2019
LIKES for Liverpool..,SHARES for Barca.

36 Likes 35 Shares

Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by PMBtill2023: 11:37am On May 01, 2019
LIKES for Salah..,SHARES for Messi.

34 Likes 44 Shares

Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by tellwisdom: 6:39pm On May 01, 2019
Not a bad idea liver pool coming to train in camp nou
Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by Switpal(m): 6:42pm On May 01, 2019
Messi's day.

1 Like

Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by Kingluqman(m): 6:42pm On May 01, 2019
Anything against Messi.. I support.
If you dey with me.. click like.

No be sey I wan make Liverpool win UCL oo.. but I say NO to Messi too.
This night.. YNWA

grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by Nobody: 6:42pm On May 01, 2019
Liverpool to win

Barcelona 1 - Liverpool 3

5 Likes

Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by erons22(m): 6:42pm On May 01, 2019
Straight win for barca cheesy looserpool will loose today

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by MobilityExpress: 6:42pm On May 01, 2019
H
Re: Barcelona Vs Liverpool: UCL Semi Finals (3 - 0) On 1st May 2019 by polet99: 6:42pm On May 01, 2019
Liverpool go chop am

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply)

Barcelona Vs Chelsea : UCL (3 - 0) On 14th March 2018 / Chelsea Vs Arsenal (2 - 0) On 5th October 2014 / Barcelona Vs Juventus : UCL (3 - 1) On 6th June 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.