Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,463 members, 7,816,085 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos (24485 Views)

Five Cowries Terminal: Lagos Jetty - Water Transportation (Video, Photos) / Lagos Begins Commercial Water Transportation, As Sanwo-Olu Launches Speed Boats / Water Transportation: Lagos State Govt Acquires New Ferries - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by AutoReportNG: 4:37pm On Apr 15, 2019
Lagos state, a city of aquatic splendor is surrounded by water, according to the Lagos state government, 65% of Lagos is aquatic which leaves the state with only 35% of land mass. As small as Lagos is in terms of land-mass, Lagos is the most populated state in Nigeria and the whole of West Africa.

Lagos is estimated to have about 20 million citizens, these consist of Nigerians, foreigners, tourists and lots more. Lagos has been battling with traffic, barely a day in the city of Lagos won't there be reports of traffic jam, accidents or bad roads. A comedian once said, Lagosians live in traffic, we only visit our homes once in a while. The law enforcement usually have a filled day trying to keep the motorists in check, it gets worse when you have the commercial drivers popularly called danfo drivers, the Keke Napep and the Okada riders on the same road as these folks are always in hurry thereby causing damages to cars.

[img]https://3.bp..com/-T5iLnQYo7PY/XLSihFkFq3I/AAAAAAAAaW8/bxzL8d2mAkQ4FsfagxXioLHeqnFUyBTKwCLcBGAs/s1600/LASWA_Lagos_Water_007_AutoReportNG.com.JPG[/img]

One would have expected the Lagos State Government to take advantage of the sea for easier and quicker transportation for its citizens but this seems not to be the case as water transportation is the least patronized in the state. Even the train gets more patronage that water transportation. The Lagos State Water Transportation Agency (LASWA) seems not to be doing enough awareness in this regard unlike its sister agency, LAMATA in public enlightenment and the benefits of using water transportation.

We visited the LASWA office in Ikoyi where we saw some new boats the Lagos State Government has purchased for easier transportation and for safety of the passengers and while we are about praising the heavens, the passengers interjected that the boats were only there for decoration as they have never been used to convey passengers before instead, they refer them to the local ones. We are yet to confirm this from the management of LASWA as we truly noticed that the boats are hardly used, unlike others.

We are in a meeting and AutoReportNG spoke to a few people on why they are not using the boats especially those that live in Ikorodu that spend almost 5-6hrs in traffic. One of the respondents named Ayo says, I would rather die than enter a boat, I don't care how much it costs and the security apparatus it comes with, water transportation is not safe in Nigeria. I would rather spend days on the road than spend minutes on the on a faulty boat. Mr. Ayo said he once board a boat and the engine stopped working midway while they are in the middle of the sea, he says it takes God's intervention for the boat not to capsize that day, since then, he has sworn never to board ferry, boat or ship again in Nigeria.

Another respondent named Seun said, when it comes to maintenance, Nigeria is at the back seat, if ordinary BRT, the state government is having issues maintaining them, what can we say about the boats that ply the sea. If there is an accident on the road, at least you are sure of survival because people will help to rescue you but who will rescue you on the sea? That's easy access to see God.

[img]https://2.bp..com/-1NlpNMo5myo/XLSilR4AkwI/AAAAAAAAaXg/6oxEGMzkECo3QzcHO6KoSeKuCGyCZF7nACLcBGAs/s1600/LASWA_Lagos_Water_016_AutoReportNG.com.JPG[/img]

We spoke to Mr. Adeshina who also gave a different opinion based on the earlier two, he said, I am using the boat regularly, I work in Apapa and I live on the Island, the best form of transportation is the boat. I board the boat at CMS and in less than 30mins, I am in the office. Most times when people complain about tankers on Apapa Bridge, I just laugh because I have never experienced such before. As good and easy as water transportation is, the sector needs a lot of work before people can embrace it. Mr. Adeshina continued by saying, most of the sailors (drivers) are not educated, they only rely on their local techniques, some need to be trained using the modern method in case there is an emergency. Also, the state government need to invest more on boats and give subsidy to those who want to go into this sector, boats are not for babies, as most of these boats are locally made and those that are foreign made are second-hand, they cost millions and you have to calculate your pocket before you jumped into it.

AutoReportNG spent some time at the Victoria Island water side close to Walter Carrington where we observed the freshness of the sea, especially on a Sunday evening. We noticed that the whites (foreigners) love aquatic life. They pile the sea more often than Nigerians though they have stronger, expensive and luxury boats, they see water transportation as a means of sking, having fun and also a shorter way to beat the Lagos traffic.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-RYqn36UNyWg/XLSie-FOKQI/AAAAAAAAaWk/O7tNwZSr0GUbnHw91RLdoLFLSmuGDukIQCLcBGAs/s1600/LASWA_Lagos_Water_001_AutoReportNG.com.JPG[/img]

These are some of the images we have for you.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-Cr34AckKRl0/XLSifNK2CHI/AAAAAAAAaWo/Jcv7jNu01SUZ0ee6EtFF2kVMaE-qNRxQwCLcBGAs/s1600/LASWA_Lagos_Water_002_AutoReportNG.com.JPG[/img]

[img]https://1.bp..com/-zYZte47oN9k/XLSiie2PpaI/AAAAAAAAaXI/xoGroK3zp_AGvqUk1JbzGucNUuKmVStSwCLcBGAs/s1600/LASWA_Lagos_Water_010_AutoReportNG.com.JPG[/img]

[img]https://1.bp..com/-DSzHk762-7s/XLSiiztpecI/AAAAAAAAaXM/cPQtQiZzkDQAwoHdPst6PNH9aW40I1_VgCLcBGAs/s1600/LASWA_Lagos_Water_011_AutoReportNG.com.JPG[/img]

[img]https://2.bp..com/-8srzaMSWXA4/XLSimTKcHmI/AAAAAAAAaXs/vXtM2iW12PQDRRAZMkqhe-vBITlBqM_SACLcBGAs/s1600/LASWA_Lagos_Water_019_AutoReportNG.com.JPG[/img]

[img]https://4.bp..com/-a2MT4NPgBL4/XLSinDhuN3I/AAAAAAAAaXw/lYQ-WztLN8cT-puQYOkEBeUwVPQ1z769QCLcBGAs/s1600/LASWA_Lagos_Water_020_AutoReportNG.com.JPG[/img]

For more exciting images at the sea, please check the source

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/04/water-transportation-in-lagos-state.html
Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by AutoReportNG: 4:37pm On Apr 15, 2019
Aquatic life at its best!

See more exclusive images here

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by amaniro: 4:47pm On Apr 15, 2019
Be it Water, Land, Air the population in Lagos needs to be controlled. It's obvious that the government can no longer handle the over population so the best thing to do is to either open Lagos border(extend to Ogun) or Purge people out.

Shout out to Abuja people na free road dey rush us!!

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by btrocky09(m): 8:31pm On Apr 15, 2019
grin
Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by Pabloosas(m): 8:31pm On Apr 15, 2019
cheesy
Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by Alejoas(m): 8:32pm On Apr 15, 2019
sad
Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by captianfreeman(m): 8:32pm On Apr 15, 2019
Ok
Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by LazyGold(m): 8:35pm On Apr 15, 2019
Lagos Population need to be in check

1 Like

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by Ponytail22: 8:36pm On Apr 15, 2019
Ndi Lagos una doh ooo

1 Like

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by BabyApple(m): 8:36pm On Apr 15, 2019
Walahi i am tired of this girl!
Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by Englishgold: 8:36pm On Apr 15, 2019
Lagos is beautiful.
That's good work of Ndigbo.

Truly igbos are developing everywhere.

Trade fair is what it is today
Because ndigbo

4 Likes

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:37pm On Apr 15, 2019
grin
Proudly omoeko, though I doubt if I can live there again. Just mutiply 4hrs times 360 and know how many days of your life you waste minimumly in that lagos

1 Like

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by Kokaine(m): 8:37pm On Apr 15, 2019
Like me now...

From oniru to ikoyi waterside with boat is about 100 naira.

I will prefer to take drop for 3k and get trapped in holdup around tollgate those days for two hours than imagine myself body and soul on top water.

1 Like

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by ishowdotgmail(m): 8:39pm On Apr 15, 2019
If na free fare, I can't enter undecided

1 Like

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by sirusX(m): 8:42pm On Apr 15, 2019
Kokaine:
Like me now...

I will prefer to take drop for 3k and get trapped in holdup around tollgate those days for two hours than imagine myself body and soul on top water.

Na wah oo

You need to face your fears and learn how to swim

1 Like

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by Kokaine(m): 8:48pm On Apr 15, 2019
sirusX:

Na wah oo

You need to face your fears and learn how to swim
my brother I'm approaching 32 oh...
Can I still learn that kind thing so?
Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by luminouz(m): 8:48pm On Apr 15, 2019
Kokaine:
Like me now...

Such a chicken!!!
Be a King

1 Like

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by luminouz(m): 8:49pm On Apr 15, 2019
Kokaine:
my brother I'm approaching 32 oh...
Can I still learn that kind thing so?
U can..even at 90! wink

1 Like

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by Wasky101: 8:50pm On Apr 15, 2019
ok

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by Kokaine(m): 8:53pm On Apr 15, 2019
luminouz:

Such a chicken!!!
Be a King

I just think everyone has what frightens him

As a student in uniben I joined etisalat in installing 3G antennas and I could climb to the tip of the mast and feel free enough to be pulling antenna from ground with rope.

After school, I was installing solar panels on top of high rise buildings and pent houses with slopy roofs. Many people that can swim wouldn't do that! Im not scared of height. But yes... I'm scared of water

11 Likes

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by pansophist(m): 9:08pm On Apr 15, 2019
Englishgold:
Lagos is beautiful.
That's good work of Ndigbo.

Trade fair is what it is today
Because ndigbo

Igbo Amaka grin

2 Likes

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by laudate: 9:09pm On Apr 15, 2019
AutoReportNG:
Aquatic life at its best!

See more exclusive images here

I love your report. cheesy There was a particular year when Ozumba Mbadiwe was being re-constructed, and the toll gates were being installed. The traffic on that route was pure madness. It used to take 3-4 hours just to move from Sandfield at Oniru to Falomo in Ikoyi. That was when I discovered the boat route from Sandfield at Tarzan jetty, to Queen's drive in Ikoyi. grin

The entire boat ride used to take 15 minutes. And there was no traffic. I got to the office every day, feeling refreshed and relaxed, because I had avoided the stress related to the traffic. cool

I agree that govt needs to do much more to enforce safety on the water, and ensure that all boat owners provide life jackets for their passengers.

In foreign cities like Venice or Amsterdam, water transport is thriving and well regulated. More awareness needs to be built up about this great mode of transportation. If it is properly harnessed, traffic on our roads in Lagos, can become a thing of the past, as more people take to the waterways. wink

There are local boats that come all the way from Togo to Lagos, which ply the West African coastline. Why can't we have ferries that ply Lagos to Port-harcourt or Lagos to Warri? Can you imagine how many passengers would avoid the Benin-Ore gridlock? undecided

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by Nobody: 9:11pm On Apr 15, 2019
Kokaine:

I just think everyone has what frightens him

As a student in uniben I joined etisalat in installing 3G antennas and I could climb to the tip of the mast and feel free enough to be pulling antenna from ground with rope.

After school, I was installing solar panels on top of high rise buildings and pent houses with slopy roofs. Many people that can swim wouldn't do that! Im not scared of height. But yes... I'm scared of water

That mast of a thing is scary! The first day i climbed a 32metre glo mast, i managed to get to the 3rd platform which took me about 15mins to climb just because am scared of heights. lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by laudate: 9:11pm On Apr 15, 2019
Kokaine:
Like me now...

Oga, get rid of your fears. smiley Oniru to Ikoyi is a smooth ride by boat. You don't know what you are missing. There is no traffic on the water! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by luluman: 9:19pm On Apr 15, 2019
amaniro:
Be it Water, Land, Air the population in Lagos needs to be controlled. It's obvious that the government can no longer handle the over population so the best thing to do is to either open Lagos border(extend to Ogun) or Purge people out.

Let the purging start with any tribe that will not respect the customs & values of Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by luluman: 9:20pm On Apr 15, 2019
Englishgold:
Lagos is beautiful. That's good work of Ndigbo.
Trade fair is what it is today Because ndigbo
And they stoopidly refuse to develop onitsha too.

3 Likes

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by delpee(f): 9:28pm On Apr 15, 2019
I wonder why we didn't build on the initiative of Alhaji Jakande during his era. We had big ferries (Ita Faji and Baba Kekere) shuttling Marina - Mile 2 and Marina -Apapa. The government had plans to extend it to other parts of Lagos....before GMB struck. sad

He also planned a metroline which was also cancelled with a huge loss due to lack of support by the GMB led FG. That may be one of the reasons transportation in Lagos missed out on consistent development.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by Athena4: 9:30pm On Apr 15, 2019
amaniro:

Road wey be say u go dey drive think say u dey fly. Abuja road sweet abeg.
Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by Athena4: 9:32pm On Apr 15, 2019
luluman:
Let the purging start with any tribe that will not respect the customs & values of Lagos.
Who be us? You start first,we go support you from far. Imbecilè.
Re: Water Transportation In Lagos State: Lagosians Speak - Photos by Nobody: 9:58pm On Apr 15, 2019
Ferry from Apapa to CMS is #150
Approximate time 10Mins
Comes with life guard and savers, modern design and very comfortable.

Danfo from Apapa to CMS #400
Approximate time 45 Mins
Highly unsafe. You battle trailers and gridlock,old delapidated buses
and rough uncouth intoxicated driver.

If you drive your own personal car�

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

LASTMA Impounds Indian Man's Car On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos (Photos) / FG Bans Helicopter Shuttle From Kaduna To Abuja - PUNCH / Mother In Minna Abandons Children On A Train To Kaduna Over El-Rufai's Free Food

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.